test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Upcoming PvP Changes: Matchmaking and Leaver Penalty

Comments

• tsayoktsayok Member Posts: 33
    edited March 2014
    Hey all,
    We've detailed upcoming changes to PvP Domination based on the incredible feedback and suggestions we've received. To learn more, please click here.
    What do you think about the upcoming changes? Let us know with a comment below!
    Cheers,Pin
    Thx for information.

Let me make a summary of the first patch PvP NW planned for Springtime 2014, almost 1 year after the game's release!
    Official Content:
    - New set of equipment with new skin.
    - New PvP Statistics (toughness) and review of the effects of certain powers of control.

Content and modifications requested by the players:
    - Modification of queues based on the equipment and classes. [√]
    - Penalty System for leave. [√]
    - Rebalancing classes warriors and rogues perma stealth / immune. [×]
    - New maps Bg. [×]
    - New modes of Bg. (10vs10, flag capture, ect ...) [×]
    - Zone PvP with objectives guilds or factions. [×]
    - Double specialization classes. (PvE / PvP) [×]
    - Fight duel. [×]
    - Permanent Gauntlgrym. [×]

[Google trad, original post here.]

Cordially.
  • tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i just thought of something.
    what if people get a high rating and don`t want to go down in rating and see a loss coming and leave before the end of the match so it won`t get counted.
    leavers should get the rating deducted also, like as it would have been a loss always.
    aarg, but what if they just go offline.
    maybe the deduction should be done for all at the start of the match and recalculate at the end.
    problem solved ;p

for example -1 at start
    and +1 + win rating number
    or
    +1 - loss rating number
  • tsayoktsayok Member Posts: 33
    edited March 2014
    I would also add that when a player leaves a BG, others of the same team can go without being penalized.
    J'ajouterais également que lorsque un joueur quitte un BG, les autres de cette même équipe puisse partir sans être pénalisé.

(google trad)
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tcarnce wrote: »
    i just thought of something.
    what if people get a high rating and don`t want to go down in rating and see a loss coming and leave before the end of the match so it won`t get counted.

Well, if they leave, they get no glory, no match counting towards daily pvp quest AND a 30 minute ban on all queues. Thus, I don't see many people doing that. Especially since we won't have a proper ranking/ladder for some time. :P
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Why why why did anyone decide to stick with calling it a "leaver" penalty? Quitter penalty. Deserter penalty. But why did you make the official name of it something that isn't even a word?

Oh, but it is.
    leaver, n.

Pronunciation: /ˈliːvə(r)/
    Etymology: < leave v.1 + -er suffix1.

One who leaves (in various senses of the vb.); spec. a boy or girl who has just left or is about to leave school: see school leaver n. at school n.1 Compounds 5a.
    1548 N. Udall et al. tr. Erasmus Paraphr. Newe Test. I. Matt. xix. 96 This vertue is more estemed of thaffection of the leaver than of the greatnes of the thyng that is lefte.
    a1616 Shakespeare Antony & Cleopatra (1623) iv. x. 21 But let the world ranke me in Register A Master leauer, and a fugitive.
    1652 J. B. in R. Brome Joviall Crew To Brome sig. A3v, The most our Leavers serve for, shews Onely that we're his Friends.
    1883 Cent. Mag. June 219/2 Leaders of lonely lives, and leavers of great fortunes.
    1890 G. Gissing Emancipated III. ii. xvii. 288 Hither came no payers of formal calls, no leavers of cards.
    1910 Westm. Gaz. 17 Jan. 5/1 Of the entrants and leavers examined, approximately 3 per cent. of the children..suffered from..eye disease.
    1930 Times Educ. Suppl. 28 June 289/3 One teacher..wearied to despair by the listlessness and lack of interest of his class of ‘leavers’, persuaded his head to allow him to hire an allotment.
    1969 R. Layard et al. Impact of Robbins 121 The numbers of entrants to arts faculties are expressed as a percentage of leavers with arts A levels and similarly for science.
    1972 Guardian 3 Aug. 6/6 Employers..were most favourably impressed with leavers' basic art and design skills.
    edited March 2014
    Well, if they leave, they get no glory, no match counting towards daily pvp quest AND a 30 minute ban on all queues. Thus, I don't see many people doing that. Especially since we won't have a proper ranking/ladder for some time. :P

yes but i say it with eye on the announced pvp leaderboard :)
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    Oh, but it is.

Fascinating.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited March 2014
    yes but i say it with eye on the announced pvp leaderboard :)

If they leave they can't get into a queue... someone looking so hard to be at the top of the leaderboards will certainly be an experienced pvp player who does nothing except pvp all the time, i can't see him leaving and not being able to pvp for a while.

The opposite would be very bad though: if you could artificially lower your ranking simply by joining and leaving a match, you could potentially do that on purpose in your off time to keep finding weak opponents and winning during your actual play time.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If they leave they can't get into a queue... someone looking so hard to be at the top of the leaderboards will certainly be an experienced pvp player who does nothing except pvp all the time, i can't see him leaving and not being able to pvp for a while.

The opposite would be very bad though: if you could artificially lower your ranking simply by joining and leaving a match, you could potentially do that on purpose in your off time to keep finding weak opponents and winning during your actual play time.

Sounds theoretically possible, but also sounds much too tedious for any but the most dedicated exploiter to attempt since each deserted match would prevent all queue activity for 30 minutes. Even if deserted matches count as losses as far as Elo calculation goes (and I don't know if they do or not), I wonder how many 30 minute intervals of deserting it would take to offset actual productive play. Seems like more work than actually playing matches as intended.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

edited March 2014

depends how it gets done. if it`s account wide there`s always still the option of a second account.
    and, rankings mean a lot for some.
    if it means 30 min not play it`s nothing for the hard worked for rating points that could be lost,
    and it will get abused.
    so just saying in advance.

you actualy think while typing, you say things that don`t match up with the previous lines.
    about people leaving on purpose.
    what would be faster to let your rating drop.
    not play, wait about 10 minutes and get your rating deducted.
    or leave, get the same rating deducted but not able to play 30 min.
    ;p so staying in matches would be a lot more effective.
    it will anyway bring smurfs in the game yes hahaha.
    although i guess gearscore will get counted enough to not let them end up in the lowest ranked matches.
    and would be obviously fair to the ones playing for top rank.
    although a random disconnect would be just unlucky in such a case.
    i don`t how you handle a disconnect in the most fair way.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Good points.

I suggest that leaving should causes you to lose ELO points - in fact with an additional penalty over what you would get if you stayed.

Second, something similar to which was implemented in League Of Legends, matchmaking should take into account your leaving percentage and frequent leavers only get partied with other frequent leavers. Also frequent leavers should have less priority on the queue system, even if they are in a team. The exact details of this system are best kept secret to make it harder for people to figure out how to game it.
    edited March 2014
    you actualy think while typing, you say things that don`t match up with the previous lines.
    about people leaving on purpose.
    what would be faster to let your rating drop.
    not play, wait about 10 minutes and get your rating deducted.
    or leave, get the same rating deducted but not able to play 30 min.
    ;p so staying in matches would be 3 times more effective.

Well, I suppose it's about perspective. There's people more worried about the top of the ladder, that want the leaver penalty to apply when someone leaves the matches, and there's people more worried about the bottom of the ladder, the casual pvpers (like me) that don't want overgeared people to artificially get into low ranking.

Whatever the solution, it can be abused. But abusing the leaving with no penalty means that the opponent/winner still gains points and goes up (even if the leaver don't lose his own ranking). Abusing the leaving with penalty means that one can quite easily slip into lower ranks and break the game fairness for a lot of people.
    edited March 2014
    Well, I suppose it's about perspective. There's people more worried about the top of the ladder, that want the leaver penalty to apply when someone leaves the matches, and there's people more worried about the bottom of the ladder, the casual pvpers (like me) that don't want overgeared people to artificially get into low ranking.

Whatever the solution, it can be abused. But abusing the leaving with no penalty means that the opponent/winner still gains points and goes up (even if the leaver don't lose his own ranking). Abusing the leaving with penalty means that one can quite easily slip into lower ranks and break the game fairness for a lot of people.

Well, see my above post for a solution :)
    mconosrep wrote: »
    I suggest that leaving should causes you to lose ELO points - in fact with an additional penalty over what you would get if you stayed.

Second, something similar to which was implemented in League Of Legends, matchmaking should take into account your leaving percentage and frequent leavers only get partied with other frequent leavers. Also frequent leavers should have less priority on the queue system, even if they are in a team. The exact details of this system are best kept secret to make it harder for people to figure out how to game it.
    edited March 2014

yes i added that part later, about gs most likely getting count enough to not end up in the lowest ranked matches.
    edited March 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Well, see my above post for a solution :)

This could work, but I seriously doubt the matchmaking system is "smart" enough. I mean, LoL is the kind of game where pvp and ranking is everything. NW is a pve game with some flavor pvp. Where leaderboards don't mean anything to half the people doing pvp (because glory/artifact/companion). I really doubt they will go that far.
    edited March 2014
    This could work, but I seriously doubt the matchmaking system is "smart" enough. I mean, LoL is the kind of game where pvp and ranking is everything. NW is a pve game with some flavor pvp. Where leaderboards don't mean anything to half the people doing pvp (because glory/artifact/companion). I really doubt they will go that far.

I am pretty sure it would work fairly well, and I don't think the algorithms required are that hard. Whether they bother to implement this is another matter of course, but the logistics don't seem to be a serious issue to me.