test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hunter Ranger Guide

Comments

• blitzy09blitzy09 Member, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 5
    edited December 2013
    Awesome guide! Thanks!
  • ottoarcottoarc Member Posts: 265 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    obsidiancran3 can you please answer all my previous posted forum ?? not all like just now the few i posted
  • ottoarcottoarc Member Posts: 265 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    lol no one answer all my previous post ?
  • caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have a question about Sniper's Aim (Feat), at 5/5 gives 20% increase damage at max distance, does Aspect of the falcon affects the effect of sniper's aim? Like at +9' will it be only time that i can achieve 20% inc. dmg, or w/o aspect of the falcon at my max range will it still be 20% inc. dmg?

All aspect of the Falcon will do is provide more distance to use ranged attacks, the Sniper's Aim will still max out at a 20% increase at full range. As for the scaling of damage/distance, I don't believe Sniper's is effected by Aspects, so you will have an extra 9' worth of +20% to work with which is nice.
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Sorry for the double-post, but here was my tip post as per requested via a PM
    Ok so I figured it would be best to post here since this is an advice thread and what not.:o As I have stated in several other posts, the Hunter Ranger is most effective when using a skirmishing battle style. What skirmishing means is to attack and move interchangeably, harassing the enemy without engaging them for lengthy amounts of time.
    While this may not sound too difficult at first, the fact that encounters have cool downs, coupled with the dual nature of the Hunter Ranger, means this may be a difficult technique to master. I will not lie and say that anyone can do it, because it just may not suit some people's play style preferences. However, in the hands of someone who can use and/or master this technique, you'll find the Hunter Ranger is very effective.

I am going to share some quick videos of my own game play using the Hunter Ranger. I don't expect that everyone will try to use the class in the manner that I do, but for those who wish to see what the Ranger is truly capable of in the hands of an expert using it's dual nature, then you may pick up a thing or two from this. I will also do my best to explain a few vital points which I believe contribute to the ranger's success.
    Please note that in these videos, I have no companion summoned, I have no artifact equipped, I am using nothing but green gear, and I am fighting enemies which are quite often three levels higher than my character. I did this because I wanted to show what the raw capability of the class is (when used as I do).

Ghost Stepping

This is a technique which primarily benefits you when you are forced to or decide to go into melee combat. The principal behind the ghost step is to remain within melee combat range, as close to your opponent as possible, whilst dodging the enemies attacks. This is best used against single targets (usually the elite enemy that's left standing after you rain death on them, but you'll see that later:cool:)
    Since the Ranger's shift covers such a short distance, it is ideal for this technique as it allows for immediate attacks following the dodge without breaking the engagement. This means you consistently dish out damage in as short of a time as possible while your encounters may be cooling down. Here is an example of the technique against a slower attacking enemy (the kind I suggest you practice against.)

Ghost Step Demonstration

Now if you notice, after each step I was still within range to continue attack whilst taking no damage myself. Also each step was directly through the enemy. This is done to place you outside of any cone of effect that the enemy may be using without disengaging. This helps to bring down the baddies faster and makes it so that you don't have to run all the time whilst awaiting cool downs to expire. Here's another video showing the technique against a somewhat faster opponent.

Ghost step 2

Now if you notice, the cadence for each series of step to attacks was different for each enemy. If you know your enemy like any good Ranger should, you will be able to figure it out and implement. If you are having trouble evading them all like my video, then focus on ghost stepping just the telegraphed (big wind up animation) and red area attacks until you get the hang of it.

Rooting the Enemy

Archer Rangers pay attention to this!. Rooting the enemy is a unique ability that the Hunter Ranger has which will cause an enemies movement to be restricted when moving away from the spot that the rooting effects happened. This is accomplished by using abilities which have the grasping roots effect applied to their attacks. Now each time a rooting effect is applied whilst a previous one is still in effect, it stacks and amplifies the effect. I'm going to show you a video for what this can do to an enemy now, even one who has a rush attack.

Rooting demonstration

Now if you notice, even after he performed his rushing attack, he was immediately pulled back away from me establishing range once again. This is the effect that rooting will have on an enemy which will allow you time which can save you from making frequent trips to the campfire re-spawn. The best way to use this technique is to single out the meanest baddy and stack rooting effects on him alone to give you time to deal with the smaller adds. You'll want to target him and chain rooting effect powers on him whilst relying on your at-wills to deal with weaker opponents. This is especially important for those of you who want to play primarily as an archer, don't want to have to run for your life every encounter, and don't ever want to put the bow down. If you master rooting, then the Hunter Ranger can be played as an archer.

I am at lunch from work right now, and I will post more videos and tips when I get the chance to, but for now to hold you over, here's some game play footage of me in various encounters against single and groups of enemies with mixed abilities. Some are spell casters, others are melee based, but the end result is all the same. I slaughter them taking as minimal (if any) damage as possible, and I look good doing it :cool:

Melee tough baddie
    Spell caster tough baddie
    Melee group with tough baddie 1
    Melee group 2 (I get hit because I get greedy in the group melee portion)

I will post more at higher levels against stronger foes. Hope this helps those some of you who are struggling with the class, or are eager to see what an expert can do in solo play with it.
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • riggenbachriggenbach Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Very good guide. Will have to adjust because of that latest nerf, er, bug fix.

I am some game cards coming my way for Christmas and was thinking of making an investment in either one or two companions. What would any of you recommend? My gut says the Galeb Dhur, but from my other MMO experience, having a pet tank doesn't always work out when grouping. What are other people's experience with non tanking pets when using an HR? Any insight would be appreciated in order to make a good investment. Thanks!!!
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    In epic dungeons get a stone or cat, otherwise look at the active bonuses on the pets and choose appropriately, the Man-at-Arms is a perfectly good pet for regular play as long as you build its HP up.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
    edited December 2013
    Just to follow up, upgrade the Man at Arms to Lvl 30? And by stone you mean "Ioun Stone of Allure?" Thanks!
  • voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I put up the tips and trick section to replace the outdated Build i had there if any one no's any good combos for HR tell me so i can stick it there.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    riggenbach wrote: »
    Just to follow up, upgrade the Man at Arms to Lvl 30? And by stone you mean "Ioun Stone of Allure?" Thanks!

Don't upgrade the man at arms, never upgrade the white pets. And yes either the Stone of Allure or Cat as the Stone of Might ends up costing far more to unlock to the same capacity.

Note that the Gahleb Dur is a good pet that many people like, just so far I haven't found a need for one. The Man At Arms with rank 5 Empowered enchants and a HP gaining belt has enough HP to make it through most fights and keeps the hurt off you long enough in tough fights that you can still come out ok. (Note I don't buff the pet enchants until I have at least rank 4s for all my offence/defence slots).
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited December 2013
    Thank you. I will make the investment when the time comes.

I've been keeping up on everything in terms of the "bug fix." Was going full archery spec (as detailed in the beginning of this thread), but now shifting gears. Currently level thirty five (with 5 paragon points in black arrow and 1 in storm caller's arrow) and starting to dump new points into Combat tree. With 25 points left to go (both in paragon and powers) i think I can still walk away with a decent hybrid build without having to do a respec. It's sad because I like being ranged, but, still, I want to maximize damage.

Again, thanks for the advice.
    edited December 2013
    I know the change to the Archery capstone feat hurts, however the whole path was not crippled just because of 1 change. In fact the weakening of this feat boosts Correcting Aim. Sure you will drop from 2/3 attacks is a crit to slightly under 50% but I've started approaching that at level 44 thanks to Correcting Aim.

Yes you will need to stack more crit than was needed with the original Master Archer, but the whole thing was not gimped because of one feat.

I'm staying with Archery for my first HR because I wasn't building based on the capstone.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • xtraordinary91xtraordinary91 Member Posts: 323 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    ottoarc wrote: »
    And can anyone point out what race is that curse guy using..i know kalkyom rogue is using wood elf race but what about that curse?it seem to me that his race is hafling or am i wrong? Does anyone know?

Curse is my Guild mate, And yes, He is a halfling, although you do not need to worry about him anymore, as Curse is and alt he no longer plays.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Any chance of some lvl 60's Trying out the Dire Wolf companion? I'm using it on my HR (lvl 50) and although it says 5% interrupt, I'm curious as to whether Crit% has any bearing on that number, because I'm seeing "Interrupted" appear an awful lot.

It's very, very cool, and the Dire Wolf's knockback is so froyken' handy for keeping fast charging Elites/Bosses at Bowshot distance ... I'm almost inclined to suggest the Dire Wolf as the best choice for range oriented HR's.
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • andreibogandreibog Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Can you tell us which is the best gear for a HR?
  • argentangelusargentangelus Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    First, love the guide and thanks for all the help. Im currently leveling my HR focusing on ranged and doing mostly solo work. I had a question about feats. In your original post you had a feat progression listed, but for the life of me I can not find it anymore. If anyone could give me a had I would appreciate it.
    Also there was mention of the Mulhorand items, and I have seen them around. Of course everyone would want to get there hands on them. How do you get them? (drops, boxes, etc?)
    Thanks for the help!
  • ejoyner13ejoyner13 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I was also looking for the feat progression that was posted earlier. Please repost! Thanks!
    edited December 2013
    ejoyner13 wrote: »
    I was also looking for the feat progression that was posted earlier. Please repost! Thanks!

i can't really give you a specific feat progression cause i there many builds you can run that make us of each feat
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • elusiveonen7elusiveonen7 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Voltomey, I've sent you a PM.
    edited December 2013
    I wish the forums notified me when i have pm just opened my inbox and founed a load of them
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • streea6streea6 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I am sure the info is out there somewhere,but was just curious if anyone could tell me the caps for crit,armor pen,power,life steal, etc. , and curious what most rangers are gemming offense/defense. Thanks
    Lolth Tlu Malla!!! Jal Ultrinan Xah Xundus!
  • tylemaxostylemaxos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0
    edited December 2013
    Hello voltomey ,

Very nice guide. Can you write to your guide the Feats for HR?

Thanks
    edited December 2013
    I will put Feat up then sence every one wants to know them
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • linkingirl86linkingirl86 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hi Havic,
    I added your guide to mmominds http://mmominds.com/2013/12/16/hunter-ranger-guide-by-voltomey/

Thanks for your great work, your guide is very complete.
    edited December 2013
    NP yeah this guide is the compleate one
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • volt1102volt1102 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hi Everyone,

I recently hit level 60 on my HR and am seeking some guidance on enchantment selection. I am using an archery build and wondered if there are targets for crit, armor pen, and other various stats that I should be aiming for. Do I need to stack one type of enchant, for example use only dark enchants for offensive slots for the armor pen. I am going to start refining my enchants and do want to waste resources upgrading the wrong enchants. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
  • dkzombie1dkzombie1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hi all brothers Rangers. I was very interested at Ranger Nature build and and would like to communicate with people using it. As I understand it, our mainstat - Recovery -> Forest Lord t2 set and combination of Boar Hide/Charge, Hawk Shot/Hawkeye, Binding Arrow/Oak Skin, Commanding Shot/Stag Heart and Fox's Cunning/Fox Shift. Unfortunately I can not yet collect all the pieces of the puzzle and understand how maximize all possibilities for buff and damage. Any1 can help me?

P.S. Sorry for my English, Google translate.
    edited December 2013
    dkzombie - this is the best I have for you at the moment: ObsidianCran3's Nature Build
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • dkzombie1dkzombie1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    2 obsidiancran3 Thank you very much.
  • bael90bael90 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    post screenshot please? >.>