test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hunter Ranger Guide

Comments

• grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    3/3 rain of arrows is a must.

its your go to single target damage encounter for bosses and even trash if you have a tank, for either spec/playstyle.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well, I have a near 50-50 chance to bind enemies at max range without the +range passive, I use it all the time while doing my sharandar and dread ring dailies. Three shifts is very short, it definitely works farther than that, unless your shifts are longer than mine.

Ok I did some testing with targets and the tooltip is still accurate; within 3 shifts of the target you get a very short duration strong binding roots (tbh this could use a duration buff), 4 or more shifts you get nothing. If you have Nature's Grasp feat you may just be seeing that combined with range changes that are giving a different perception.

But if you just go shoot at targets the tooltip is accurate.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • wickedroseredwickedrosered Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thank you so very very much Volt for your great work here! /bow /kiss
    eternally grateful
    quietcord shy hunter :D
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    grimah wrote: »
    3/3 rain of arrows is a must.

its your go to single target damage encounter for bosses and even trash if you have a tank, for either spec/playstyle.

Really? I have found it to be less useful than most skills unless you have a static opponent or intend to hold them in place long enough for it to really take effect. As I prefer a more mobile playstyle, it doesn't do much for me. How have you found it to be most effective?
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• tuby22tuby22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As a newbie player im checking class forums so often and try to get information but there is one thing that i cant figure out.
    On most of guides ppl talking about stat caps, for example; ''Its easy to get armor pen cap for PvE with gear alone there is no need to stack this if possible''. After half hour of searching about caps, i couldnt find any usefull info. Is that caps very familiar and known for everyone and only i have problems about it or its variable notion?
    edited January 2014
    There are 2 types of cap; hard caps and soft caps.

Armour Pen in PvE has a hard cap of 24% reduction because that 's the most defense monsters have. So with 15 Str and Royal Guard set and any weapon set you will reach, and probably exceed that cap.

The there are soft caps, these are points where the return for adding more of the stat becomes very low. Every stat except Power has one of these.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • sithxardhasithxardha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 37
    edited January 2014
    Really nice thread, volt and some good comments from community !
    I would like to ask for suggestion. I'm interested in hybrid build, since I enjoy active style of combat, switching from ranged to melee and having 6 encounters instead of 3 can`t be ignored.
    So what powers an feats are totally must have for hybrid?
    If its important, I rolled drow with
    13str 11int
    18dex11cha
    17wis9con
  • shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    @sith -

My advice is to go with fox shift/cunning, marauder's escape/rush and a third of your choice. Binding shot/steel breeze tends to be a solid contender.

Fox shift in range is a buff that can effect the party, it's useful to auto-avoid certain hits. In melee it is a VERY powerful attack that can tear people up if 1v1. In PVE, it does solid damage and disrupts targeting of the NPCs.

Marauder's escape/rush (imho) is key to hybridism. It allows you to get out of melee when you want, it allows you to engage in melee when you want. I know I've startled many players in PVP due to running away from them, only to suddenly rush them and hit fox shift. While they're trying to figure out where I am to hit me, I can pop back to ranged stance, hit fox cunning to dodge their attempt to stop me and hit escape back out.

Binding shot is a hard stun that cycles every 3 seconds, it can be very disruptive of a person's routine of skill use. In melee, it's a pbaoe that gives you stam for all hit. So if you rush in, fox shift, dodge a few times, steel breeze, range stance, marauder's escape out, it'll put you at range, with good stam level, while still letting you avoid attacks.
  • tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    shadow5930 wrote: »
    @sith -

My advice is to go with fox shift/cunning, marauder's escape/rush and a third of your choice. Binding shot/steel breeze tends to be a solid contender.

Fox shift in range is a buff that can effect the party, it's useful to auto-avoid certain hits. In melee it is a VERY powerful attack that can tear people up if 1v1. In PVE, it does solid damage and disrupts targeting of the NPCs.

Marauder's escape/rush (imho) is key to hybridism. It allows you to get out of melee when you want, it allows you to engage in melee when you want. I know I've startled many players in PVP due to running away from them, only to suddenly rush them and hit fox shift. While they're trying to figure out where I am to hit me, I can pop back to ranged stance, hit fox cunning to dodge their attempt to stop me and hit escape back out.

Binding shot is a hard stun that cycles every 3 seconds, it can be very disruptive of a person's routine of skill use. In melee, it's a pbaoe that gives you stam for all hit. So if you rush in, fox shift, dodge a few times, steel breeze, range stance, marauder's escape out, it'll put you at range, with good stam level, while still letting you avoid attacks.

You are talking about "Constricting Shot", Binding Arrow is the strong root power that can also effect a target behind the person/mob that you shoot, the melee aspect is the regen buff that puts the large vine animation when you activate the power. Hindering Shot is the power that has 3 charges which apply weak roots at range and in melee it is a PBAoE that applies strong roots.

What you were saying is correct, except for getting the name of the power wrong. (Usually not a big deal, but I do not want people to get confused when they go in-game and things do not work as they expected after reading the post)
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    Really? I have found it to be less useful than most skills unless you have a static opponent or intend to hold them in place long enough for it to really take effect. As I prefer a more mobile playstyle, it doesn't do much for me. How have you found it to be most effective?

Having a companion that takes argo on a target then you drop RoA on top of where your companion is. Target gets nailed.
  • shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    tickdoff wrote: »
    You are talking about "Constricting Shot", Binding Arrow is the strong root power that can also effect a target behind the person/mob that you shoot, the melee aspect is the regen buff that puts the large vine animation when you activate the power. Hindering Shot is the power that has 3 charges which apply weak roots at range and in melee it is a PBAoE that applies strong roots.

What you were saying is correct, except for getting the name of the power wrong. (Usually not a big deal, but I do not want people to get confused when they go in-game and things do not work as they expected after reading the post)

Yep! Thanks a lot. I constantly get those two backwards. :)
  • maxillion2maxillion2 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hum i mite need to update the guide
  • voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    maxillion2 wrote: »
    Hum i mite need to update the guide

lol my second account
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    voltomey wrote: »
    lol my second account

So your secret is out now :)
    edited January 2014
    We really do need to revisit the powers section anyway. An evaluation done during playtest is a bit out of date with the experinces of a larger community.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited January 2014
    whats changes give me your rewrite up on the powers and i will update the guide with it sence that part is your section
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vittaelvittael Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi,

I am a new play in NeverWinter online, and so far really like the game. I have created a moon elf with following stats: Str-13, Con-9, Dex-18, Int-13, Wis-15, Cha-11. . Could you please let me know if the stats are ok for the Hunter Ranger class?

Thanks, Appreciate your input.
  • asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    those scores look good

only thing i'd have done different is rolled until i got 11 Con instead of Cha
    Tenebris lux mea est
    edited January 2014
    vittael wrote: »
    Hi,

I am a new play in NeverWinter online, and so far really like the game. I have created a moon elf with following stats: Str-13, Con-9, Dex-18, Int-13, Wis-15, Cha-11. . Could you please let me know if the stats are ok for the Hunter Ranger class?

Thanks, Appreciate your input.

Well assuming they are you level 1 stats (ie they include Racial bonuses).

I recommend put every point you can into Dex.
    Put 1 point into Con ASAP.
    Put 1 point into Cha at some stage.
    Put all other points into Wis.

That will get you:
    Str 15
    Con 12
    Dex 24
    Int 15
    Wis 19
    Cha 14

As your level 60 stats without campfire.

Make sure you take Toughness as a feat as well when you get access to them. :)
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • vittaelvittael Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thank you so much!
  • killianthefoxkillianthefox Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thanks obsidiancross, voltomey, tickdoff for all the great advice.

After obtaining decent lvl 60 gear, is it best to focus on a better pet or a better enhancement first?

Is vorpal the definite choice for max dps , or should one also consider Plaguefire/Lightning?

As for companions, it seems like a toss-up between ioun stone/cat....are these superior enough to cleric to be worth the AD/Zen?

Thanks in advance.
    edited January 2014
    The Stone/Cat is so much better than the Cleric that it's not even a question. The stone/cat adds everything you slot in it to you, so you can patch the weaknesses of your gear via it.

Vorpal is a fairly safe bet for an Enchant, I cannot say definitively what is best - I just don't have the resources to compare at the highest end. I wouldn't worry too much about having more than a Normal to start with, if you are choosing between an Enchant and a Companion I'd try to get a Lesser Vorpal and the stone/cat, if its an all or nothing choice get the stone/cat.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If you are just concerned with your own damage output (especially in PvP), then vorpal is the way to go. A lesser will not do much though, so shoot for a regular and improve it when circumstances permit. If you are looking for maximum PvE damage, then lightning is a strong contender, the AoE aspect of the lightning enchant can add up quickly, but to really make a difference you need a greater (or better) Lightning Enchant, and those are not cheap.

If you are looking to improve you groups performance and not just your own, the Plaguefire is a good choice. With the AoEs of the HR you can easily apply the debuff to multiple enemies. Just be aware that Plaguefire is a popular enchant, and the effects do not stack. Which brings us to my personal favorite: Terror. I run with a Greater Terror (should be perfect soon), solid damage, nice debuff that stacks with plaguefire (but not with other Terrors) and a very reasonable price for the effect (IMO).

All 4 of the enchants I listed are good for an HR, it just depends on your build, your playstyle and your wallet.
  • ximaeximae Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    never tried lightning but it could be nice for hr if it jumps 2-3 times per target hit.... still a shame its just based on weapon damage.
    edited January 2014
    I updated the guide with the new PvP armor stats i also left the Old stats up there for now
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lexmastafunklexmastafunk Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hey, I'm building a dps archer and was wondering if the switch from range to dps and back is actually worth doing... Sorry if its somewhere in the thread already.
  • killianthefoxkillianthefox Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the responses, they were very helpful. Ioun Stone definitely makes a significant difference.

My main question now is regarding end-game stats, specifically Crit Chance and ArPen. From what I have read, it seems wise to balance the other stats fairly evenly (Regen/Power/Defense/Deflect/Recover/Lifesteal), but I am having trouble finding a clear answer on where the sweetspot exists for Crit/AP...

Currently shooting for around 4000 Crit stat/ 2000 ArPen stat.....does that sound like too much or too little?
    edited January 2014
    As I understand it that's too much Crit by about 500, and you will not see much improvement between 3000-3500. If you get an ArP set of gear having only 2k of it is hard..., but 1900 ArP with 16 Str will cap you for PvE, more is a boon for PvP of course.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited January 2014
    Updated powers reflections;

Build Terminology:
    Archery - the vast majority of points go into the Archery Paragon feat tree and play style is focused on using the bow.
    Combat - the vast majority of points go into the Combat Paragon feat tree and play style is focused on using the blades.
    Nature - the vast majority of points go into the Nature Paragon feat tree and play style is focused on using the bow because most melee Encounters are buffs.
    Hybrid - a balanced selection of Archery and Combat feats, this build seeks to maximize switching stance for damage.

Organizing a Build
    Is easiest to do using http://nwcalc.com/
    This is useful because ultimately there are more things you will want points in than you can have points in. :)

Class Features
    Aspect of the Falcon: Increases range by 9' at 3/3. At lower levels this is more useful, and it can be handy in PvP, but for dungeons at 60 its basically useless. Archery can benefit the most from having it at 3/3, but 1/3 is fine for most builds as it will rarely get a slot.
    Aspect of the Lone Wolf: While your stats do not change this power does work. If you like to stay at range this is a strong power, also very useful for PvP.
    Aspect of the Pack: Recommended for Nature builds at all times basically; at level 16 get a Man-at-Arms and then stay within 1-2 shifts of him for CA on all attacks and +1% damage for each point of Cha over 10. Also useful for Combat and Hyrbid builds if you have 14 or more Cha (including Campfire) because you should have 4% or more damage bonus most of the time.
    Aspect of the Serpent: This is a great feature for Hybrid and Combat builds. While the enemy is closing, make 5 attacks. When they are in melee range make 10 melee attacks (5 to use your buffs and 5 to stack 5 ranged buffs) and then move back to range to finish the encounter and start a new stack of buffs. For ranged builds I don't find it as useful, I rarely ever end up with a ranged buff from this power making it less effective. So archery & nature 0/3, combat & hybrid 3/3.
    Blade Storm: great for combat builds as you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting 5-15% damage in an AoE; particularly nice with Electric and Rapid. Archery and Nature can ignore it, it can be useful for Hybrids.
    Stormstep Action: Disruptive shot will be used in any fight with an elite or any dungeon fight. 3/3 recommended for Nature and Archery and could be useful for Melee as well because 3s less cool down is always nice.
    Twin-Blade Storm: despite its name works on ranged as well, recommended for everything 3/3 because 12% more damage for hitting 3 or more enemies is good. (ie if you have Split Shot in bar you should have Twin-Blade as well because its basically handing you a 12% damage bonus for shooting AoE and a lot of the melee encounters are multi-target as well).

Daily Powers
    Note: all dailies work regardless of the stance you are in and which weapon they use.
    Seismic Shot: at least 2/3. This is a ranged attack. Not as reliable as CWs pushes but its a great short range push power and nicely bunches things up for a range of tactics derived from our encounter powers, however don't depend on this power. Overall our 100% AP powers tend to be weak for the effect they have in terms of damage and/or control.
    Forest Ghost: 3/3 even for Archers. For melee the applications are obvious, for archers not so much so let me explain; first you don't need to change stance, second it only uses 50% AP so its generally not available when its on cooldown only (unless you used Seismic), thirdly stealth so you can run past the mob and put some damage on them get away and take a potion and still have time to fire off 1 or 2 encounters or an encounter and aimed shot. Its also good for just avoiding a fight, but you cannot stealth run past everything like perma-stealth TRa.But you can Attack in this stealth without breaking it Making Melee Style Build's very effective with it.
    Forest Meditation: 3/3 Max this skill for 100% deflection and CC immunity and If you Run Fey Thistle Boon or a Melee Build. Not only will natures blessing boost the healing this skill provides by 20% Fey thistle will turn you into a meditating fortress of death so this skill can actually be used in a very offensive manner. Note: currently bugged so that if you have 3/3 you only get the CC immunity.
    Disruptive Shot: for Nature and Archers this is a 3/3 power if for no other reason than the crazy interaction with Stormstep for cool downs. Its dazing/interrupt effect is just gravy for hosing elite mobs and bosses not immune to CC. Still a sound 3/3 investment for Combat and Hybrid builds because of the daze.
    Cold Steel Hurricane: is a melee sort of ranged sort of power that's just bad, or perhaps just not working as intended. Until they change it 0/3.

At-Wills
    Rapid Shot/Rapid Strike: 3/3
    Split Shot/Split Strike:3/3
    Depending on what Style of ranger you run Some of these At-Wills will be your be on your bar instead of the above two bread and butter At-Wills at times.
    Aimed Shot/Aimed Strike: 3/3. It takes a couple of seconds to fire but when you can start a fight by killing any non-elite in areas where they are tough enough to weather a Split-Shot spray (so Vellosk is where I start using it) and it crits for enough that 2 shots will take out most elites with 1 crit included. This is a hard power to pass over entirely; just don't expect it to always be on your bar, but sometimes its better than Split Shot. The melee version creates a bleed for the amount of the initial attack (or close to that amount), with some timing you can stack a bleed on something and then switch to other powers to bring it down faster. Overall this is probably our hardest power to use well, but once you learn how to use it well it is worth the 3/3 investment.
    Electric Shot/Clear The Ground currently is only really useful to Combat and some Hybrid builds it has high synergy with Master of Combat and Blade Storm/Twin-Blade Storm

Encounter Powers
    Marauder's Escape/Rush: 3/3 if you plan to use melee a lot so you can gap close to use your melee powers. Its 2/3 otherwise while a great power while leveling Archery/Nature through the first 20 after that I find it struggles to get a spot on their Bar.
    Hindering Shot/Strike 2/3 at least. Solid for leveling and the melee power works wonders with Marauder's for Archers. It stays in my rotation well into the 30's because its a fast 3 charges reasonable damage Encounter with a very handy melee power. Note Weak Grasping Roots is often irrelevant, strong grasping roots on the other hand is generally good.
    Rain of Arrows/SwordsThis is another hard power to use well, however there are a number of fights where it does amazing damage and once you master its use it can be used reliably. In short any enemy that doesn't move or moves very little or is hit with strong roots (and doesn't teleport) can be devastated by the ranged version. Go at least 2/3, 3/3 is recommended for all but Nature builds (because there is a shortage of points not because the power doesn't deserve 3/3).
    Thorn Ward/Strike3/3 for Archery and for Nature. Note that until you have at least 2/3 for Archers it is not that strong (so if you put a point in it and wonder why you would put 2 you will have to trust me that at 3/3 its quite a nice damage boost). For Combat and Hybrid this is a harder choice, its a power you want 3/3 or to pass on. The debuff (about 20% at 3/3 by my calculations) is very handy and produces a good damage boost because it forces Defense negative if your Armor Pen beats the Defense otherwise, but the melee attack is slow, but it does target lock...
    Constricting Arrow/Steel Breeze 3/3 for Archery and Nature leveling, handy power for Hybrids as well. Its an AoE melee power, but the strength is in the interrupt/stun that Constricting Arrow has, those few seconds make a big difference for more ranged focused characters and timed right can wreck the big attacks of things that are not CC immune. Steel Breeze also gains stamina for hitting enemies, which is handy for getting out of there for ranged characters.
    Boar Hide/ChargeThe first buffing power and a good melee power. If you are an Archery build skip it, Nature, Combat and Hybrid go 3/3.
    Split the Sky/Throw Caution3/3 for Archers and Nature. ?? for everyone else. Split is useful for setting up a zone for fights with a boss who spawns a lot of mobs, layering Split and Thorn Ward then mixing in Rapid/Split and Constricting/Commanding is usually enough to deal with those harder boss encounters. Throw Caution doesn't seem to be particularly strong as a buff considering it debuffs you as well (in theory not sure it even works as its hard to observe any changes with it).
    Hawk Shot/Hawkeye: This power seems like it should be a good choice, however I recommend 0/3 regardless of your build. Any time Hawk Shot would be good, Aimed Shot is better and the Hawk Eye buff is for 1 attack only, just not worth putting points in it compared to other powers we have without them significantly adjusting this power.
    Binding Arrow/Oak Skin: 3/3 for everyone. The ranged attack works by applying grasping roots to enemies close to you so you can move away, instead of stopping them while they are away in the first place. The buff is healing + 10% damage resistance, which is useful to all builds and particularly handy in PvP. Note it is a healing power and its effectiveness depends on the damage of your blades and your power. It is also currently bugged so that at 3/3 sometimes the heal is deflected.
    Commanding Shot/Stag Heart: 3/3 for Archery and Nature only. Commanding Shot is a debuffer for shooting bosses and elites, Stag Heart at 3/3 gives 12% of target's total HP as temp HP, which is just less work for the DC and often provides others a buff.
    Fox's Cunning/Fox Shift3/3 for everyone! The buff, Cunning, is a free 100% dodge for 5 people. Shift is an impressive DPS melee attack which hits multiple targets (thus benefiting from Twin-Blade) and also reduces their run speed while buffing yours. So you take less damage and when they reach you 1 pass of Shift can end the fight or gives you enough movement advantage to open a gap for shooting again/setting up other powers. For nature, you are going to take the feat to drop the cool down by 5s as well, meaning you will probably be able to run the buff every 3-5s if you set up your cool down reduction right.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited January 2014
    Updates also i am gona get the new pvp set up in the armor section as we speak note though its subject to change i am currently testing it out on preview atm. I also added your updated post to the guide obby
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]