What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hunter Ranger Guide

Comments

• Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ahm what do you want a screenshot of? This isn't a build its a guide to the class as a whole.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    My OPNess is bigger than everyone else and is best in game.
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Random DK. Random. :)

I moved from archer to combat and I've been enjoying it. I know V's guide here started me initially on high elf recovery spec and I've been enjoying the fast recovery. I tend to stack more crit, as there are feats both in combat and archery that speed up cool down based on critting. The important thing to remember, imho, is that there are 2 sets of skills, melee and ranged. Ignoring one makes you weaker.
  • Options
    dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    shadow5930 wrote: »

The important thing to remember, imho, is that there are 2 sets of skills, melee and ranged. Ignoring one makes you weaker.

Exactly! The class is amazing if you are using both range & melee and why the class has such a high skill cap.
  • Options
    chridokchridok Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2013

I moved from archer to combat and I've been enjoying it. I know V's guide here started me initially on high elf recovery spec and I've been enjoying the fast recovery. I tend to stack more crit, as there are feats both in combat and archery that speed up cool down based on critting. The important thing to remember, imho, is that there are 2 sets of skills, melee and ranged. Ignoring one makes you weaker.

You are right you need to use 2 sets of skills ,anyway you cant do the wiz dps sigh.

Are you testing combat? in your opinion does combat make more dps then archery?
  • Options
    hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    Exactly! The class is amazing if you are using both range & melee and why the class has such a high skill cap.

I would just wish that it would be easier to hit a higher defensive number using the PvP gear. Although Lone wolf is all you got to have in 1v1 situations, I guess being able to climb to 2,5k Def should be 'easy'. Right now it takes lots of farming mostly on boons and artifacts.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • Options
    voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I would just wish that it would be easier to hit a higher defensive number using the PvP gear. Although Lone wolf is all you got to have in 1v1 situations, I guess being able to climb to 2,5k Def should be 'easy'. Right now it takes lots of farming mostly on boons and artifacts.

the t2 pvp set has the highest def of any t2 you can hit 2.5k easy with it. All You need to is have the full set get the 250 defense boon get the gemmed pants and shirt get the Waters of Elah'zad and the Eye of Lathandar maxed out. and boom that's 2444 defence right there just make sure you have necro belt and guts necklace
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    voltomey wrote: »
    get the Waters of Elah'zad and the Eye of Lathandar maxed out.

Man...this will take months. That's what I am talking about.

Edit: Also the complete absence of Regeneration in the T2 set is a no-go for me.

You can easily see what I am currently using. Names on my signature, handle in my avatar's name.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Man...this will take months. That's what I am talking about.

Edit: Also the complete absence of Regeneration in the T2 set is a no-go for me.

You can easily see what I am currently using. Names on my signature, handle in my avatar's name.

It only took a day to get my waters to epic just feed it rank 4 enchantments and its half way though that
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Also if you worried about regen you can still get 1483 just by adding the blood skull artifact and putting on frost pelt girdle and wearing noble rings. you still have 2290 defense Just slot 1 rank 8 azure and your good you be exactly at 2510 defense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Also if you worried about regen you can still get 1483 just by adding the blood skull artifact and putting on frost pelt girdle and wearing noble rings. you still have 2290 defense Just slot 1 rank 8 azure and your good you be exactly at 2510 defense.

Yep. Regeneration comes cheap those days.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    The regen on the t1 set is negligible the t2 set will give you more defence crit and armor pen all you really need to do is stack power with it.and its comes with about 574 of its so its should be easy to hit at least 3k
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    The regen on the t1 set is negligible the t2 set will give you more defence crit and armor pen all you really need to do is stack power with it.and its comes with about 574 of its so its should be easy to hit at least 3k

Yes, you are right. More farming for me.
  • Options
    chridokchridok Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hey guys,for first ty Voltomey for this guide.
    I full geared my hr ,with perfect vorpal ench, but i can't do the same damage of my wz may be i cant to the right rotation so plz can you guys tell me your rotation for an archer build?
    Already tested the melee build ( ty a lot hidahayabusa for your help) but i think archer can do more damage but im not sure :)
    So can you help me guys? Ty
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    My default Archer rotation now is;
    Encounters: Binding/Thorn/Fox's
    At-Will: Rapid/Split
    Daily: Disruptive/Seismic
    Features: Stormstep/Twinblade

When more CC is needed (eg Mad Dragon, Cragmyre boss) I swap Binding for Split tye Sky.
    When in a party I run Pack instead of Stormstep or Twinblade depending on what I'm doing in the party.

You can run boar's instead of Fox's.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    My second Guide goes over Paragon Paths In more detail i will put this in the Op also
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ottoarcottoarc Member Posts: 265 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    ok guys i have something to ask you..currently sitting on level 30..ok my question is i love to pvp..when in pvp i usually stand at high ground or very far to attack the enemy..ok the point is when the enemy is down to less than half and IF the enemy is running away i will switch to melee stance and marauder strike the enemy and use hindering strike to apply strong grasping root on him..than i will use my melee to finish him off and if he keep on running i will change to ranged stance to finish him off..and now im level 30 and using a wood elf ?? i dunno which path i should take ..archery ? combat or nature ?? can someone experienced teach me and give me some guide and option based on my playstyle
  • Options
    r3ibr3ib Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Let me just get this out on the table... I had a 5 year run playing WoW. I'm not here to compare, WoW had it's time and it was a great game, but in all honesty... I find Neverwinter to be superior in many ways. That being said... I really need help with my Hunter/Ranger from a PvE perspective. I read the "Original Post", which is very well put together, but an overwhelming amount of information. I'm sure the issue is on my part, because I'm having to "unlearn" what I used to play, to get the most out of this game. I apologize, I do have some direct questions, I just didn't want to congest this thread anymore than I already have, and because I'm not sure if this is the appropriate location for a "Q&A for Newbs" session.
  • Options
    widowmakirwidowmakir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Excellent guide , read through it several times. My only question is, there are no references to weapon or Armor enchants. Which ones are more advantageous to the ranger?
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    widowmakir wrote: »
    Excellent guide , read through it several times. My only question is, there are no references to weapon or Armor enchants. Which ones are more advantageous to the ranger?

vorpal and soulforge
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Its more complicated than that, I'm a long way from finished testing enchantments but...

Armour: Soulforged or Barkshield. Soulforged seems great and its certainly let me recover from some complete mess ups, but Barkshield will mean you generally take less damage anyway. Both will be effective.

Weapon: Vorpal at lesser isn't worth it, but above that I'm a bit more confident in its value. So while leveling your Vorpal use a Terror or Plaguefire. Once I've managed to buff my Vorpal and Terror up I'll do more testing. But the principle is that a Terror (or Plaguefire) will let you debuff a whole mob thus increasing the whole parties DPS and you get a more consistent damage buff based on its basic bonus.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    ottoarcottoarc Member Posts: 265 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Guys may i know this build is good? 20dex 20 wis 20 con and 16 str at end game pvp without campfire..using hafling now..is this build acceptable?
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    First off, thanks for the guide, very helpful.

I did find one mistake in a power description though:
    Encounter Powers
    Binding Arrow/Oak Skin: The ranged attack works by applying grasping roots to enemies close to you so you can move away, instead of stopping them while they are away in the first place, so for pure Archery skip this power or go 3/3 for 25-30' range. For Nature builds the buff is good, when you apply it at 100% effectiveness to a party. For melee its pass.
    [/COLOR]

Binding arrow actually DOES stop enemies at long range. Specifically, it drops the arrow into the ground and then tethers them so when they try to walk toward you it pulls them back to where the arrow is tethered.

Several enemies that are immune to slows and holds are still vulnerable to this power. Specifically the Knight Commander (Dread Spire), Zulkir of Illusion (except during a few powers like the warrior spin), most Fomorians and all Witches including Magra (note: I have not been into malabog's castle/Valindra's Tower and my hunter hasn't opened Celedane yet, so dunno if it works on those enemies). Jawbone seems immune.

It also will hit multiple enemies if they are tightly packed and in a line. The downside is that it does not have a 100% rate. Even on things like Fell trolls or Thayan knights it's only 50-50.

Where this power shines is in combo with Rain of Arrows and similar powers as you can tether the enemy with the area slightly in front of them. This way they walk into and through the DOT, then get pulled back through it, and finally walk forward through it again. The record I've seen was a fell troll held long enough for 2 aimed shots.

So, absolutely works for archer builds.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I'll have to test again, but when I did test it, nothing further away than 3 shifts was affected by the binding.

But you are right, I actually use it as part of my default array for my archer, not for the binding (which is useful) but because its a fast firing high (by HR standards) DPS encounter. Timed right it is quite handy.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    toshistationtoshistation Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Looking for some advice here.

I just rolled a new half-elf HR with high con (14+2=16) and I'm looking to make a nature utility build. Can a HR ever have too much health? I'm wondering if I should be focused on the toughness feat and continuing to improve my constitution, or if I would be better off going for a more balanced approach. Again, I want this build to be primarily focused on PvE and utility.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    What are the rest of your stats?

For HRs in general the stats are;

Dex and Wis foremost.
    Int & Cha are advantageous because they provide faster recharge (Int) or more damage (Cha with combat advantage)
    Then Con because dead people don't do damage.
    Finally Strength because if you have a 13 starting you will not need any optional points.

Note PvP puts more emphasis on Str and Con than PvP, flipping them with Int/Cha. As will choosing one of the gear sets that lacks significant ArP.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    toshistationtoshistation Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    These are my stats currently. I just hit level ten.
    STR 14
    CON 16
    DEX 17
    INT 11
    WIS 18
    CHA 12

EDIT: sorry I had to try to write them from memory since the server was down.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Please tell me you reversed Dex and Wis when typing that up!

Assuming that put no more points in Con is my basic advice for PvE.

At level 60 aim for:
    STR 15
    CON 19
    Dex 23
    INT 13
    Wis 19
    CHA 13

With campfire that will give you:
    STR 16 (6% defense reduction)
    CON 20 (lots of HP)
    Dex 24 (14% bonus damage)
    INT 14 (4% bonus recharge speed)
    Wis 20 (10% bonus crit chance)
    CHA 14 (4% bonus damage from Combat Advantage)
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'll have to test again, but when I did test it, nothing further away than 3 shifts was affected by the binding.

But you are right, I actually use it as part of my default array for my archer, not for the binding (which is useful) but because its a fast firing high (by HR standards) DPS encounter. Timed right it is quite handy.
    Well, I have a near 50-50 chance to bind enemies at max range without the +range passive, I use it all the time while doing my sharandar and dread ring dailies. Three shifts is very short, it definitely works farther than that, unless your shifts are longer than mine.

Aimed shot followed immediately by binding and disrupt. If I get lucky and all three crit that can drop a war troll or thorn (but not fell troll, knight or giantsoul), even without crits that is brutal and by the time they get to melee even if it doesn't hold them, I got a thorn ward and rain of arrows waiting to say hello.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I have been observing this power and I think you are right and that the tooltip no longer reflects how it actually works. It seems to now be % chance of applying roots regardless of distance.

I will do some actual experiments (rather than making adhoc observations on the fly in combats) and get back to everyone. (Anyone else can feel free to do the same.)
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock