Install Arc
Options

How To Guide on how to Deal with Tenes

Comments

• Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    cheapjing wrote: »
    Lifedrinker is definitely affected by DR, I read my combat log last night, and lifedrinker did about 25(7x) dmg to me which is about right since it probably proc when i had a 50% determination bar unstoppable.

On the idea of barkshield can counter tene, that is simply not true. A simple dot on you will completely consume your barkshield charges, thus you can only HOPE to be able to absort tene when it proc. Statisticly speaking, the chance of barkshield charge matching a tene proc is really low as there are so many dots could be applied on you (thus so many dot procs vs 1 tene proc), except for maybe the first hit; that is also a big maybe since if that cw with no tene ranged you, all your barkshield charges are gone, then the non range attker such as a gf with bull charge / or gwf hits you just a split sec later, you will not have any barkshield charges left to 'counter' tene (i guess this can also be a strategy in some teams with tene for sure). In s longer fight, any DOT on you will almost certainly 'waste' your barkshield, thus allow tene to do its full dmg.

This is the experience i had last night against 2 gwf with tene, i have not seen my barkshield abosrded ANY of their tene proc. So I dont know why people say barkshield is the counter for tene.

Good feedback,

What would be interesting to know then, is does ARP/ negative DR factors play a roll in necrotic damage such as lifedrinker or terror.

This wouldnt be too hard to test, equip just a weapon attack someone with significant DR, then equip a bunch of arp and do it again.

That is very interesting that not ALL sources of necrotic damage (tenebrous) work with DR.... It would only be logical then that it should work WITH DR, and by extension -DR via arp or debuffs?
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Lifedrinker is definitely affected by DR, I read my combat log last night, and lifedrinker did about 25(7x) dmg to me which is about right since it probably proc when i had a 50% determination bar unstoppable.

On the idea of barkshield can counter tene, that is simply not true. A simple dot on you will completely consume your barkshield charges, thus you can only HOPE to be able to absort tene when it proc. Statisticly speaking, the chance of barkshield charge matching a tene proc is really low as there are so many dots could be applied on you (thus so many dot procs vs 1 tene proc), except for maybe the first hit; that is also a big maybe since if that cw with no tene ranged you, all your barkshield charges are gone, then the non range attker such as a gf with bull charge / or gwf hits you just a split sec later, you will not have any barkshield charges left to 'counter' tene (i guess this can also be a strategy in some teams with tene for sure). In s longer fight, any DOT on you will almost certainly 'waste' your barkshield, thus allow tene to do its full dmg.

This is the experience i had last night against 2 gwf with tene, i have not seen my barkshield abosrded ANY of their tene proc. So I dont know why people say barkshield is the counter for tene.

All tene's are going to proc within the first 3 attacks about 95% of the time, so given that you come up against a tene user 1v1 almost 5k of his tene procs will be absorbed, that's the vast majority.

Can other players bring down your barkshield charges before his tene's proc? Yes. But on the other hand if he accidently throws 1 at will at another person first will half or more of his tene's be used up? Yes. Barkshield has an 8 second recharge also, so you generate 2.5 charges in the tene CD.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    faiteaccompliifaiteaccomplii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    Barkshield is a good enchant but does not 'counter' tene's in general. It has the 3 charges which can be consumed by any dmg. therefore it is unreliable for this type of thing.

I am not for or against a Tene nerf, I know some super pvp'rs without them though so really, you guys think you need them more than you do. In fact one rogue who takes me down on a regular basis in a few hits (with my perfect barkshield etc.) has none :P

What I think they should do is give everyone one set of free 'remove enchants' on all armor containing tene's though.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    All tene's are going to proc within the first 3 attacks about 95% of the time, so given that you come up against a tene user 1v1 almost 5k of his tene procs will be absorbed, that's the vast majority.

Can other players bring down your barkshield charges before his tene's proc? Yes. But on the other hand if he accidently throws 1 at will at another person first will half or more of his tene's be used up? Yes. Barkshield has an 8 second recharge also, so you generate 2.5 charges in the tene CD.

I agree at the first combat, they will proc within the first few attacks and quite often I DO see this enchant negate quite a bit of my FIRST tenebrous damage.

However, I have told you and PROVEN this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFvMAMMrOdw&feature=youtu.be) Tebenrous enchants almost always have the first two SETS of procs MUCH MUCH less than 20 seconds on CD. In fact the average I have gathered from testing is about 12 seconds.

Sure you can negate SOME of the tenebrous damage on the first round, however you only build charges out of combat and that doesnt stop someone from getting back to back procs and then your barkshield really didnt do much.

Ontop of that, regardless of it being teneb damage or not, it will absorb NON teneb damage.

So I think your looking at this a little too narrow. On paper it seems the enchant CAN be used to HELP counter it.

However it is SO situational it CANNOT be claimed as a HARD counter.

Things mentioned above like dots, or NOT having tenebs proc at the first attacks, or others attacking first, or DOUBLE sets of teneb procs etc.

All the enchant really does is absorb X damage given the circumstances, it IS good and CAn help especially 1v1, however not alot of pvp is 1v1 scenarios.

Now the other issue is that ALOT of pvpers use teneb enchants and YOUR proposition is "just use barkshield" ok cool, so your basically telling everyone to use barkshield if they want to compete. That shouldnt be the case. It allows a person in a 1v1 to have their own benefit of an enchant like SF.

Ill just say this from experience and this is NOT me claiming to be "the best GF"

When I 1v1 other GFs without teneb (even if they have barkshield) what ends up happening is this.

First I burn their shield MUCH faster then they can burn mine because of tenebrous enchants, I THEN use encoutners without teneb and get my first rotation off. Bull charge, frontline, lunge and then back to block vs block. His barkshield typicalyl countered NOT my tene damage since that was blown shredding his shield but damage from my encounters.

Then in block vs block again, its only a few seconds until on average my tenebrous can proc again. (12s on average between the FIRST two procs) Since hes "out of combat" while we "block off" he can typically regain 1 MAYBE 2 charges.

My tenebrous then shred his shield (if my regular attacks dont already since hes already low from the first rotation).

Then ill have about 3-4 tenebrous if not all 6 and his barkshield will eat about 3 of those.

I then get another round of encounters off and he dies.

So in all, his barkshield didnt counter them, his guard did but that was the ENITRE advantage needed.

If I had all Darks instead I ran the math again yesterday and I could get a 12% boost in damage from power stacking and a 11% boost in -DR via ARP stacking, neither of those would help me break his guard faster and his barkshield would have STILL absorbed the same amount of damage.

Also, if he ever DOES somehow manage to get his encounter rotation on me, I have a greater SF allowing me 4 seconds to recoup my block or each his prones.

Even versus any other class, I can write out 1v1 examples where the barkshield would have absorbed the SAME amount of damage regardless of damage source (teneb or not) and because of the CD on teneb, the damage outweighs the barkshield.

And thats 1v1, not considering the countless scenarios in 5v5 matches where you get full procs because a CW threw a DoT on the target first.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Barkshield does not state that it doesn't regenerate charges in combat, and while I have not specifically watched it, I'm 90% sure I'm gaining charges in combat.

So even assuming that you are very lucky and get all 6 procs again in 12 seconds. After 12 seconds of combat with any class but a DC (assuming a non pug enemy) you aren't going to be 100% HP, and probably more like 50%, possibly even dead already if being focused. So your next round of Tene's does about half damage.

What if you had R9's? Barkshield would have absorbed just as much of your initial assault, but then your subsequent damage would still be at 100% and you would have a much greater chance of winning vs. a CW or TR. CW and TR are the classes that most use barkshield also.

In the same way that if you happen to get targeted by someone else first your Barkshield charges go away, if you happen to target a character other than the one you're going to focus next all your tene's go away, so that is not a relevant excuse that barkshield doesn't help you.

Does barkshield completely counter Tene's? Of course not. But it gives you a lot of burst resistance so that you can lower the tene users HP to make his subsequent attacks much less powerful, thereby giving the non-tene user the advantage in that combat.

Even you have said that at 50% HP R9's are > tene's and that is still with skewed numbers in favor of tene's.

So how does barkshield counter tene's? It gives players with regular enchants an advantage over tene users in 1v1.
  • Options
    cheapjingcheapjing Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Barkshield has 3 charges... it wont counter 5k dmg... it counters 3 tene proc at the most. So if you have 66 tenes 3 of them will go throgh. This is the best case already . On a longer fight ANY dot soch as deep grash WILL more than likely consume the barkshield simply due to the proc frequency on dot is way higher than tene which will proc every 20 sec. If you are lucky it will counter 1 tene on the 40 sec mark IF the tene proc 20 sec aftef the first hit.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Barkshield has 3 charges... it wont counter 5k dmg... it counters 3 tene proc at the most. So if you have 66 tenes 3 of them will go throgh. This is the best case already . On a longer fight ANY dot soch as deep grash WILL more than likely consume the barkshield simply due to the proc frequency on dot is way higher than tene which will proc every 20 sec. If you are lucky it will counter 1 tene on the 40 sec mark IF the tene proc 20 sec aftef the first hit.

From what I've observed barkshield must count the hit that procs the tene's and the procs as 1 strike, because I've been hit by 6 tene user before and taken only 2-3k damage.
  • Options
    pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    From my experience, barkshield regenerates 1 charge every 8 seconds. In combat, you just get hit as soon as the charge is ready, and it gets consumed. I see it this way: you start with 3 charges, 2.4k the first, 1.6k the second, 800 the last one. After 8 seconds, you get 1 charge and can absorb 800 damage. If you get hit, after 8 seconds you get another charge. If you do not get hit, after another 8 seconds you get the 1.6k charge. And so on.
    In continuous combat, you get 800 damage absorbed by your barkshield.

I do agree, however, that it is not a hard counter. Still, the best a player can get to mitigate tene damage.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    pando83 wrote: »
    From my experience, barkshield regenerates 1 charge every 8 seconds. In combat, you just get hit as soon as the charge is ready, and it gets consumed. I see it this way: you start with 3 charges, 2.4k the first, 1.6k the second, 800 the last one. After 8 seconds, you get 1 charge and can absorb 800 damage. If you get hit, after 8 seconds you get another charge. If you do not get hit, after another 8 seconds you get the 1.6k charge. And so on.
    In continuous combat, you get 800 damage absorbed by your barkshield.

I do agree, however, that it is not a hard counter. Still, the best a player can get to mitigate tene damage.

I am not really for or against tene nerf since I dont have it, thus dont really know it well enough; however the last sentense from above post is exactly one of the reason why so many people calls out for a nerf, since you really dont have anything to counter the dmg. Even if you can dodge the tene proc, it is still meh, since it will proc on the next sec and you still take the dmg. Except for high CON / high HP, i cant see a effective way to counter this one enchant. Furthermore, since other necrotic dmg are affected by DR and maybe deflect, it is kind of weird the tene is not affected by it. I blame the devs for this 'oversight'!

On the other hand barkshield is hailed as a good counter for tene, however upon further scrutiny, and personal experience, it is not really effective. If someone really wants to test it, try to do a 1v1 and have 3 charges of barkshield against 6 tene, and read the combat log to see exactly how it counters the dmgs for the FIRST hit of the fight. I can confidently state barkshield wont really be effective after the first hit, since every 8 secs it will be consumed by ANY dmg, likely some sort of dot due to dot proc frequency is the highest. However even if it is not consumed by dot, it will only counter every 1 tene per 2 tenen cycle (i.e., counter 1 out of 12 proc assume you have 6 tenes), since tene proc on 0, 20, 40 sec, and barkshield charges are built on 0,8,16,24,32,40.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    tene proc on 0, 20, 40 sec, and barkshield charges are built on 0,8,16,24,32,40.

This is slightly off and what I have been trying to show.

Tene proc on lets assume 0 for the first set.

6 tenebs proc on the FIRST hit.

The NEXT 6 can proc ANYWHERE from 1-20 seconds later. Thats right ONE SECOND LATER. It ALL depends on WHEN you got the first set of procs. Its NOT a hard cd, its a SERVERSIDE CD.

What that means is if the time is 5:04:00 exactly, you have a 20 second window to proc tenebs and the NEXT cd available will be in 20 seconds at 5:04:20.

What happens though, if you proc your tenebs at 5:04:15 though! Well the NEXT set is STILL available at 5:04:20 meaning you have a FIVE second CD. But THEN because you got procs at 5:04:20 the NEXT CDs are not available until 5:04:40 THUS giving you the 20 sec CD.

Now It doesnt exactly run off server time as illustrted above :00 - :20 - :40 etc but I think it has something to do with when you zone into an instance.

If you run a Teneb CD tracker though the first two procs will almost ALWAYS be less than 20 seconds. My average was about 12 seconds. The lowest ive TRACKED was 3 seconds apart.

Now, how does that make a difference in pvp?

Well as most know, PVP is NOT constant DPS, its static bursts. When you are fighting at mid, youll based on average get your first two procs within twelve seconds. Well most fights dont last THAT long or even longer than 20 seconds meaning youll almost forsure get 2 sets of procs.

What happens then? There is downtime in which YES your tenebs cant proc again but guess what, you dont need them to. Its not until they respawn or you move points which takes TIME. Time that is counting down to your next Teneb procs.

So for fun, what if you got procs at :05 and :20 seconds. YOur next procs are available between :40-:59 So what happens if the fight ends at mid at :28 and it takes you another 10 seconds to fully cap the point and then 10 seconds to run to point 3 and initiate combat.

What time is it? well :28+10+10 = :48 and so you get another set of procs right away. and guess what?! your NEXT set of procs is at the new minute mark :00 which is only 12 seconds away!

YOu can see how this repeats itself in pvp alot.

Now there ARE scenarios in which your first proc is at :00 and you WILL have to wait 20 seconds. There are also times that your procs will be at low HP. But you can see how having that static burst combined with the type of CD it is, with the ability to get back to back procs can be pretty OP in pvp...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    i know exactly what you mean for the first 2 set of tene to proc, the way i present it is the BEST senario for a barkshield wearer. IF they coninside exactly on 0 sec, then there is a chance to counter it at the 40th sec. IF they dont coninside on 0 sec, i.e., 0 sec proc, then 5 sec later it proc again, they wont match ever again, since 5+20+20+20+20 is never going to match 0,8,16,24,40; on the other hand if the 2nd tene proc is 4 sec later, then they will match again on the 24th sec, and from there on, barkshield and tene will match again every 40 sec. However there is just too many combinations, so i figure i will just use the most simple case.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I see what your saying and yes i agree.

The only time it really counters it is right off the bat on the first set up procs under special circumstances. When they first announced this enchant I lol'd because I said this is probably their attempt to counter teneb enchants, I mean its a damage absorb over time...

But either way, its NOT a hard counter. And teneb damage is supposed to be necrotic which ALL other sources of necro damage are NOT immune to DR effects.

Only SE on TRs is a comparison which IMO needs to be nerfed as well and factored by DR.
  • Options
    ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Barkshield is not the counter of Tene. Barkshield can max negate 2 of the tene proc before it fail total. All who say Barkshield absorb full Tene dmg have to show it per combatlog! If they not i tell them be liars!
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    No one has yet produced a video proving Barkshield's effectiveness against Tenebrous. It seems more likely that Tenny users are promoting the idea in hope that their favorite enchantment will not get nerfed.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    The only hard counter to tenes is batman. Batman can counter tenes and no need to prove it, since he is batman.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    esteena wrote: »
    The only hard counter to tenes is batman. Batman can counter tenes and no need to prove it, since he is batman.

This is true, ive tested it. I wont post my combat log but Batman cant counter D10 Darks therefore darks are better than tenes! We dont need to nerf tenes afterall, people just need to play with batman instead.
  • Options
    esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    ayroux wrote: »
    This is true, ive tested it. I wont post my combat log but Batman cant counter D10 Darks therefore darks are better than tenes! We dont need to nerf tenes afterall, people just need to play with batman instead.

The only way to play with the batman...is to become the batman.
  • Options
    gerftyloggerftylog Member Posts: 56
    edited October 2013
    It seems more likely that Tenny users are promoting the idea in hope that their favorite enchantment will not get nerfed.

LoL. Oh noz! Halp dont nerf Tene!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    gerftylog wrote: »
    LoL. Oh noz! Halp dont nerf Tene!

This is why I have very high respect for aryoux. He actually gives intelligent responses. If you do not agree with the "high-end" PVPers they just flame and attack you.

Still waiting for that Barkshield video. Anyone? Anyone?
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The right way to counter tene is to die and respawn.
  • Options
    srdjanasrdjana Banned Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013

likewise, I haven't had the time nor opportunity to test or verify this so hence why I am leading towards this as being as a "hot air" excuse thrown out there...

I ran into a CW from Enemy Team wearing perfect barkshield and ran through him very quickly, the barkshield did very little to protect him from CW powers, so i have yet to see any credence to the "barkshield" claims.

I hope to see some sort of validity to this from some of the testers out there.
  • Options
    xxiambatmanxxxxiambatmanxx Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    esteena wrote: »
    Watsup every 1 , i'm Batman and i approve this message !!!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    This is why I have very high respect for aryoux. He actually gives intelligent responses. If you do not agree with the "high-end" PVPers they just flame and attack you.

All you do is post and post and post and post about Tene butthurting you. Shut up already.

Do you not get what barkshield does? Why do you need a video? I am mind boggled.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    All you do is post and post and post and post about Tene butthurting you. Shut up already.

Do you not get what barkshield does? Why do you need a video? I am mind boggled.

Gefty, thank you for your quick response. You're a great PVPer and your guild plays very hard. In response to your question, I know what people claim Barkshield does. I've yet to see any evidence supporting it and was hoping that someone like you who has their own Twitch channel, records videos and uses Tenebrous could simply post a short video which we would all appreciate.

Best, Trace.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Sorry it was not faster...I just browse this thread for fun and saw you claiming GWF's were using barkshield as a excuse and hoping it would save tene from being nerfed. I thought that was humorous and figured i'd poke at ya. Didn't expect to be called unintelligent and not respected. Next time i'll be faster. And i'll get a video for you tonight.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Sorry it was not faster...I just browse this thread for fun and saw you claiming GWF's were using barkshield as a excuse and hoping it would save tene from being nerfed. I thought that was humorous and figured i'd poke at ya. Didn't expect to be called unintelligent and not respected. Next time i'll be faster. And i'll get a video for you tonight.

Thank you. I do appreciate it. And having an unintelligent response doesn't make someone unintelligent. I just really appreciate Aryoux's posts, because they're backed up by a lot of data. I also don't run Tennys, and very few guildies in EoA do. So we don't have access to the experience and videos that you have.

Thank you again, Trace.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013

http://www.twitch.tv/freeskier428/c/3141294

Hope this makes sense.
  • Options
    srdjanasrdjana Banned Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013

all tene's proccing at once... Yeah...THAT needs removed from the game FAST...

btw ty

edit : your armor is not black and gold... please turn in your yinzer card
  • Options
    patienceeepatienceee Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Could you show us a video of a full 1v1 with tene + barkshield. Barkshield only helps with the first intial burst, but tene's can proc again within 1 second of each other.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    srdjana2 wrote: »
    The only thing I seen demonstrated was all tene's proccing at once... Yeah...THAT needs removed from the game FAST...

Are you serious?