test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is this the most disastrous MMO launch in history?

Comments

• Options
    m0ltres23m0ltres23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    magilzeal wrote: »
    In WoW, my server was offline for 3 days at launch. There were numerous bugs and exploits, most of the endgame was impossible for one reason or another, and classes had a wide variety of imbalance issues.

This is pretty standard-issue.

But shhhhhhhhhh you are ruining the circlejerk about the fact this is the first time in the history, for an MMO, that a something went terribly wrong.
  • Options
    xxskylitxxxxskylitxx Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    drexl420 wrote: »
    Yes I was actually, i played from day one. And no, that launch was nowhere near as bad. There wasn't maintenance everyday and there were nowhere near as many exploits. Even the few exploits that were found here and there were patched VERY quickly.

Are you kidding me right now? If you were there from day one, you would know you werent even able to log into the game on day one.
    They were able to work on the game while you played it, there was constant lag through out the game because they were fixing things.
    Don't forget the numerous things you COULDN'T do.

Inferno? Hold on while I get 1 shotted for days(Glad they fixed that only took..I don't know...4 or 5 months)
    Oh what else...Imbalance issues through classes, can't forget that part.
    The HUGE HUGE HUGE security breach when they decided to implement the Real Money Auction House.

Yeah Diablo 3 had a smooooooth launch, this is obviously worse(sarcasm)
  • Options
    yultyult Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I must have missed all of the super-terrible launches, because this one blows away anything I have experienced with its awfulness. Then again, the only MMOs I have played at launch since WoW are WAR online and TERA. I remember WoW's launch, and considering what that game offered at the time compared to what Neverwinter offers... WoW's launch was immaculate compared to this. There were more connectivity and server issues, but considering the difference in internet infrastructure between 2005 and 2013 I'd say WoW did orders of magnitude better.
  • Options
    antonn13antonn13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    FFXIV.

This at least got to launch before dieing. FFXIV was dead before it even began.
  • Options
    wizzinwizardwizzinwizard Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    slumpywpg wrote: »
    "beta" doesn't mean anything anymore. It's just an excuse to make people feel better about wasting money on a half finished product.

Actually, to me, beta means exactly that, this product is not finished, so DO NOT spend money on it until it is no longer in beta.
  • Options
    adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I never said it was an MMorpg...the conversation was around an MMo and Simcity 2013 is an mmo..by all basic standard :P

Unless folks consider MMo and MMORPG to be synonomous then I am in error...
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • Options
    tooonetwotooonetwo Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    Sim****ty wasn't, isn't and never will be an MMO. It was a complete fail because they used the sim city brand known as a simulator and the game doesn't simulate anything. Anything it tries to simulate is broken beyond repair
  • Options
    damatsudamatsu Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    drexl420 wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen an MMO launch with this much maintenance (every day? seriously?), this much class imbalance (useless GF/GWF, too much heal aggro, etc.), and this many exploits.

And before you say to me, oh it's not a launch its still beta, PUH-LEASE wake up and smell the roses this game is full soft launch in every way imaginable, Cryptic only calls it a beta cos they dont want to be held liable for any bugs that are found.

the same thing just happened w/ Diablo3 and they didnt roll back accounts they perm banned and removed all the gold/items from the game related to the accounts that exploited.
  • Options
    mchaywiremchaywire Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was thinking The WarZ, it's still a steaming pile, but Diablo 3 was indeed a massive <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up. Regular downtimes don't bother me at all. EvE Online has them daily and no one complains.
  • Options
    khandar21khandar21 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like their tactic to get rid of whiners
  • Options
    realr3sistancerealr3sistance Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    antonn13 wrote: »
    FFXIV.

This at least got to launch before dieing. FFXIV was dead before it even began.

I've already said something like this, I've never seen an MMORPG release so bad it nuked the PR of the company that made it... it was a good attempt at alienating native Japanese players considering that the Japanese version was completely messed up which for a company that primarily aims it's games at a Japanese audience... *slow clap*... just in case people aren't following... chocobo's in Japanese were called Birdhorses, a mistake that wouldn't have happened if the game had been made in Japan but would happen if the game had been made in China.
  • Options
    gdante7111111gdante7111111 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hahahah some of it
  • Options
    lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ybg wrote: »
    Yes this is. Dead after only about 3 weeks.

Yep. Not even the Defiance launch was this bad, and that's saying a lot.
  • Options
    ishaan2000ishaan2000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    LOL seems like these kids weren't there for MIGHTY WoW's launch, eh ?
  • Options
    siberarmi82siberarmi82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not even close, I think OP haven't played many MMOs before.

Nothing can top Age of Conan in terms of updates. Game released in alpha state... Nearly got over 15 updates in first week.
    Warhammer Online and Aion had "released" while they are clearly in closed beta state.
    Even WoW had a really bumpy start.
    Then there is Simcity and Diablo 3 :)

Edit: Oh also there is that little gem called FF XIV.
    Now that one is the definition of a true disaster :)
  • Options
    adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tooonetwo wrote: »
    Sim****ty wasn't, isn't and never will be an MMO. It was a complete fail because they used the sim city brand known as a simulator and the game doesn't simulate anything. Anything it tries to simulate is broken beyond repair

Well perhaps in your opinion it is not an MMO but the good ole book says it is .....but i digress..it is worse then this game 100 fold in terms of the launch soft launch no launch.....whatver this is we are experiencng

and yes WEEEEEEEE I spent 60 bucks on it.......

^^^^Siberarmi82 Simcity 2013 has released some doozy patches...after the patches the game became markably worse.....so bas that it cause a minor revolt in the forums.....
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • Options
    delthanindelthanin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I recall being way more troubled with WoW in the early days than this one.

Granted, that was in 2004-2005, so I imagine not all of you are familiar with how messed up it was.
  • Options
    travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I've never personally known about more exploits this early in a game's release than I know about in Neverwinter. Between 3 leveling exploits; a multitude of dungeon-specific exploits abusing terrain glitches and cliff edges; 2 class exploits which allowed classes to solo dungeons and down bosses much faster than intended, and one class exploit which could be exploited to disconnect enemy players in PvP; and now this auction house exploit...

I'd say Neverwinter is a real candidate for "Most exploited MMO at launch", though not the buggiest.

As for the amount of maintenance... Anyone who thinks this game has a lot of scheduled and emergency maintenance must not have been around for the launch of World of Warcraft. If World of Warcraft hadn't been the most polished MMO of its time, its launch would have been seen as a complete failure. No way WoW would have survived in today's volatile MMO market with the stability issues it had.

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
  • Options
    relativebluerelativeblue Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This game isn't so bad. I've seen worse. Bigger problems in bigger games. Sometimes without even an apology. Relax, this is a really good game for the amazing price of free.
  • Options
    magilzealmagilzeal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    Actually, to me, beta means exactly that, this product is not finished, so DO NOT spend money on it until it is no longer in beta.

I'd argue that as soon as they start taking money--IE open the cash shop--it's not beta anymore.

If we're just testing the content--just testing it!--there's no reason to try and get people to pay for it.
    Rise of the Fell King - A Forgotten Realms campaign (work in progress) NWS-DS38FJ5R8
    Part One: The Fell Cavern (looking for feedback!) NW-DTWX9RBQH
    Hopefully more to come!

• Options
    mcbaikenmcbaiken Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    adabisi wrote: »
    Not even close SIMCITY 2013 was far worse......and to those who say it is not an MMo....they, Maxis and EA, believe it is an MMO

Dude, I know this is OT, but... Best character on OZ!!!! Had to say it...
  • Options
    gundzorgundzor Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Age of Conan was much much worse. Bugs all over the **** place and Funcom would take the servers down in the middle of the day to patch stupid little bugs which promptly broke a lot of stuff resulting in extended downtimes.

Thank-god that MMO failed.
  • Options
    samanthyasamanthya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 98
    edited May 2013
    EQ, WoW, DAoC, LoTRO, Aion, Warhammer...

Just to name a select few that I've been there for launch that had MUCH worse ones then this.

There are many more I could easily list, but honestly, if you think this is "the worst", all I can say is, welcome to gaming online!!
  • Options
    mcbaikenmcbaiken Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Defiance is looking pretty fail for a launch. At least this game has content. I was done with Defiance quest wise in less than a week.
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Age of Conan...just...ugh.

Is it bad if you need to fall back to AoC as a bad launch to outdistance Neverwinter? I think so. Talk about a long, slow, infinitely painful death of what could have been a superb game.

The fact it isn't 100% dead yet makes be really feel for anyone left playing it.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I still think WoW had one of the worse launch.
  • Options
    mownage123mownage123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A duck called a goose is still a duck. Once transactions were made, its a soft launch at the very least.

You don't open up a restaurant, charge for the food, and say "eat at your own risk, we're not actually open yet"

When you charge money, you are in business. Period.
  • Options
    kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    slumpywpg wrote: »
    "beta" doesn't mean anything anymore. It's just an excuse to make people feel better about wasting money on a half finished product.

Most be the same people who are vehemently against any sort of wipe or roll back because they looted a blue sword before the server went down.
  • Options
    roadkillaroadkilla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I guess you never heard of the age of conan launch?
  • Options
    kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    roadkilla wrote: »
    I guess you never heard of the age of conan launch?

Or WarZ. OMG don't get me started on that mess. hehe