test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is this the most disastrous MMO launch in history?

Comments

• stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Goodness....the drama is quite high isn't it?

Oh Nozorz!!! worst launch eva!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Please, WWII online, Anarchy Online, Ultima Online and SWG would love to have a word with you, and as was said before look at GW2 and D3 for recent examples of completely screwed up launches.

One thing that amazed me about this whole fiasco was the number of jackazzes that not only want to see this game fail but Cryptic to shut down, how bitter and screwed up do you have to be to actually want that, much less spend ten to fifteen hours a day on the forums trying to sway opinion.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Goodness....the drama is quite high isn't it?

Oh Nozorz!!! worst launch eva!!!!!! :rolleyes:
    Hey you, you should go sign up in the fanboys list, there is a thread now :)
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • jnaathrajnaathra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No...

Hell no...

LOL just no...
    Scout Tragold - "I haven't lived this long by being brave... it's just another word for stupid."
  • ana1963ana1963 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've seen worse (SWTOR, obviously). And I'll take frequent maintenance over none at all, any day. Mind you, the way the queues disappeared overnight was a bit suspicious....
  • wastingsanitywastingsanity Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    drexl420 wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen an MMO launch with this much maintenance (every day? seriously?), this much class imbalance (useless GF/GWF, too much heal aggro, etc.), and this many exploits.

And before you say to me, oh it's not a launch its still beta, PUH-LEASE wake up and smell the roses this game is full soft launch in every way imaginable, Cryptic only calls it a beta cos they dont want to be held liable for any bugs that are found.

The last 3 mmos Cryptic put out were pretty bad at launch. But this one takes the cake.

PS: But the cake might be a lie... like the fix today.
  • askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    veelio wrote: »
    still beta, dont care what you say!

dont play beta if you dont want updates

Taking my money = RELEASE. Deal with it.

Blows my mind how people are still duped by this "open beta" ploy from Cryptic.

By the way, I'm selling some really good swamp-front property in Arizona on the cheap.
    edited May 2013
    ana1963 wrote: »
    I've seen worse (SWTOR, obviously). And I'll take frequent maintenance over none at all, any day. Mind you, the way the queues disappeared overnight was a bit suspicious....

Umm SWTOR was a great release. One of the most well-tested and bug free and trouble-free releases in history. Just because you didn't like the game don't go spreading lies.
  • estsuestsu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well the message is clear now for Cryptic/PWE games.

"Exploit as much as you can and do it early. Playing the legit way is dumb by their standards".
  • chintaechintae Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Vanguard was reputed to have the worst MMO launch in history.

Never heard of it?

Wonder why...
  • ishaan2000ishaan2000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is the bestest launch ever in the history of the whole universe's history since the last bestest launch ever.
  • czeslawczadczeslawczad Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    chintae wrote: »
    Vanguard was reputed to have the worst MMO launch in history.

Never heard of it?

Wonder why...

Can't say no to Vanguard. Also Mortal Online.

Regards,
    Kalantris
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Umm SWTOR was a great release. One of the most well-tested and bug free and trouble-free releases in history. Just because you didn't like the game don't go spreading lies.

sarcasm I hope? I was with SWTOR from day one. It was a very rough ride.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • luther8luther8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the worst mmo launch of all time is Final Fantasy 14
    The Adventures of Sherlock Colms

Quest I
    The Mysteries at Fang Ridge!
    Short code: NW-DGTN72HYL
  • czeslawczadczeslawczad Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    sarcasm I hope? I was with SWTOR from day one. It was a very rough ride.

I was there before day one. It was pretty **** good. The experience was fine up till I got to Illum and went WTF 2FPS on a freaking new rig? Dafuq's dat shieet? OMG <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> LIGHTNING EVERYWHERE. Rage quit.

Oh, by the way... just to cheer you up. Check out this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2F3ZWEEbF4

Regards,
    Kalantris
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    luther8 wrote: »

Yea. that was pretty bad, but I still remember WoW days. log in issues, lags, roll back. good times! :) (vanilla launch) it has been so long ago, my memory may have muddle a bit, but it was wasn't as pretty as someone post it.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
    edited May 2013
    Taking my money = RELEASE. Deal with it.

Blows my mind how people are still duped by this "open beta" ploy from Cryptic.

By the way, I'm selling some really good swamp-front property in Arizona on the cheap.

While I agree that Cryptic taking your money boils down to teh game being 'released' I have to wonder what signifying factor this has on people? What does it truly matter if the game is released or in 'open beta' other than terminology.

For me, open beta means that they should not be taking paying customer's money for the ZEN shop and that the ZEN shop and Zen exchange should not be functional in game. The only money they should take is in the 'Founder's packs' which is kinda like 'Pre-orders'. Gives people buying into the game something special that non-payers (or non-backers) would not have access to. It's a special pat of the back for backing the game earlier on its release.

Release means, well, exactly the state the game is in now. Functional Zen store as well as Cryptic taking your money. Downtime and maintenance in the early release of a game is quite common, and I honestly wouldn't expect any less than what Cryptic has been doing to 'fix' issues as they arise. However, by applying this 'Open Beta but we still take your money ploy' makes me wonder just what it is they are trying to pull?

Aside from being wary at their status of calling the game 'Open beta' it affects me none at all. Why are people so torqued over whether the game is 'Open Beta' or Live?
    edited May 2013
    I was there before day one. It was pretty **** good. The experience was fine up till I got to Illum and went WTF 2FPS on a freaking new rig? Dafuq's dat shieet? OMG <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> LIGHTNING EVERYWHERE. Rage quit.

Oh, by the way... just to cheer you up. Check out this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2F3ZWEEbF4

Regards,
    Kalantris

Yea I had no problems either. I know, well knew, several people at Bioware. Only one remains. The game was poor at end-game but the feedback they got from players before end-game was all very good. They failed to keep people interested at max level or failed to create incentives to group - that is what killed the game.

Technically the game was rock solid even during early beta cycles.
  • luther8luther8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    swtor was great when it came to leveling, it was the end game that made me quit it, no group find or anything made it too much of a pain.
    The Adventures of Sherlock Colms

Quest I
    The Mysteries at Fang Ridge!
    Short code: NW-DGTN72HYL
  • nekoakureinekoakurei Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    narathkor wrote: »
    NO because it is not launch it is beta doh.

I know this is 11 pages back but...

DeNzZkN.png
  • tseitsei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    nexxisss wrote: »
    How many of those other MMO's actually devalued the RL money and/or time you had in the game? How many of them forced rollbacks on the players? How many charged RL money while in Beta? How many of those MMOs could you defraud the auction house in and get as much money as you wanted in just a couple of second? How many had a class that could one hit bosses? How many had players with hundreds of pieces of top tier gear in just a couple of weeks. How many have totally destroyed their economy before the game is even live?

We know all MMO's are going to have a queue for the first week thats just MMOs. We know they will have minor bugs like being unable to finish a quest. D3 was bad but not as bad as people try to make out! Simcity was terrible and still is so maybe the worst. WoW was 8 years ago when people were still learning what to expect with an MMO launch. I don't know if NW is the worst launch but its not pretty!

Gee lets see, RoM, RFO, All odds, Aika, Prius and every facebook browser mmo to name a few.
    edited May 2013
    luther8 wrote: »

FF14 failed due to simply bland combat and no content. No real gamebreaking exploits or glitches really, FF14 just got boring. (except maybe the using enhancing magic to level exploit in the beginning, but that was quickly dealt with).

NW is worse IMO. Much worse.
    edited May 2013
    nekoakurei wrote: »
    I know this is 11 pages back but...

DeNzZkN.png

And one of the admins has gone on record saying that 'THis is a known issue, the game is in Open Beta'

But what does this mean to you? Why do you care whether it is in Open Beta or Live?
  • imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "Is this the most disastrous MMO launch in history?"

Oh, what a wonderful gaming life you must have. :p
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • reclusesphantomreclusesphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xxskylitxx wrote: »
    I am going to assume you were never there for the Diablo 3 launch...If you think this is bad, you must be new to MMO's

This is hitting the nail on the head pretty **** well. In fairness, though, the Diablo 3 launch problem wasn't because of lazy development. The exploit was pretty much caused because the Devs forgot the literal basics of programming and database management.
    edited May 2013
    chintae wrote: »
    And one of the admins has gone on record saying that 'THis is a known issue, the game is in Open Beta'

But what does this mean to you? Why do you care whether it is in Open Beta or Live?

Doesnt matter to me. Nice to know the site has it's share of bugs too though. IMO the second they went into open beta with the promise of "no more wipes" means the game should be in a stable enough condition that huge exploits like this don't happen. Especially if they're taking people's money.

I realize that some things slip through, but there have been 4 major game breaking exploits in just 3 weeks. That is simply ridiculous.
  • errornametaken69errornametaken69 Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    Drones claiming that it's a beta.
  • antonn13antonn13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    arntoy wrote: »
    I'm confused, isn't the game still in beta?

Yes. And it's still a success.
  • firnynfirnyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    LOL... not at all, Aion had a pretty bad launch. oh and lets not forget SWToR, that game tanked because the developer team didn't fix the bugs.. oh warhammer online, failed due to exploits that were'nt fixed... Anarchy online almost lost everyone on opening day due to server issues. Age of Conan lost 50% of its player base due to graphics errors no that 1 was funny.. lol.. and everyone's favorite WoW which on its launch day had so many server problems and glitches and exploits that the entire player base left after 1 week, so blizzard sent out an email to all the players that bought the game and gave them 3 months free in order to keep the game alive( i know i was there and i played for a year after launch ). so this being a bad launch.. not at all.. lol i think Cryptic is doing a dam good job so far i like what they are doing.. if you don't quit throwing your fit and GO BACK TO WoW
  • realr3sistancerealr3sistance Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    fongador wrote: »
    I thought SWTOR was fairly decent. Until you got to the CF known as Ilum.

Other than that their main issue was they went insane with server additions and they had some of the worst faction balancing to exist in an mmo. Well...and their stubbornness did them in with other issues such as having a group finder

Maybe SWTOR is a bit unfair but then again people saying NWO is a disaster is far more unfair. SWTOR clearly had boring game mechanics stolen from WoW from the get go. The only good thing about SWTOR was the storyline... woot, that game is pretty much already dead and it all came down to them focusing on the wrong areas. The gameplay was at a level World of Warcraft was at 5 years prior, you can't beat WoW by just cloning it with a Sci-Fi theme and getting a Star Wars license on it.

All the other games I listed Definitely had far worse starts than NWO, in the long term a couple of those may not fail even if they deserve too *cough*diablo3*cough*simcity*cough*. But there are other MMORPGs still around that IMHO also had a worse start than NWO like LOTRO for example.

I'm say it now and I may end out eating my own words, TES: O will have teething issues too!
    edited May 2013
    antonn13 wrote: »
    Yes. And it's still a success.

Hahahaha double wrong.

Making a product or service available to the general public for a monetary amount is a product RELEASE. They can call it what they want to try and keep the fanboy's at bay but in the eyes of our consumer protection laws what they call their release DOES NOT MATTER ONE BIT.

Hilarious that so many people are still duped by Cryptic's "this is open beta" tag to justify not having done adequate testing or capacity planning.

Its clueless lemmings like this that allow releases like this to become the norm.