test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is this the most disastrous MMO launch in history?

Comments

• Options
    shadow71shadow71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2013
    This discussion of the word beta is getting so old I think everyone in this game so far will have at least 2 characters maxed before people start to wake up and realize they have been playing a live game from the moment they announced that we could download. I mean really people are you just clowing around or are you not looking at the facts. This game has been going on how long now? For the most a Open Beta would last at least about 2-3 weeks at the most before the game is out and just how long have you been playing your character. Normally when a game is giving players who buy into it first they would get a headstart from beta to live which usually is about 3-5 days. Ask yourself were players giving this? And if this is still an on going over the top Open Beta then what is the differences from it being Open Beta to Live? Nothing at all the game will still go on the same as it is.. All points add to one fact. The word beta is just being labeled here and it was Live as soon as you were able to download it.
  • Options
    pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it's pretty bad. But then again they did a much worse job when they launched STO. Cryptic were even forced to refund lifetime subs over that debacle. Same engine, same servers, same result.
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    thestoryteller01thestoryteller01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In Everquest we had hour-long rollbacks YEARS after the release and I'm talking about loosing raid wins and epic gear then :cool:
    In case you find my grammar or spelling weird ---> native german speaker ;)
  • Options
    covencoven Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    drexl420 wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen an MMO launch with this much maintenance (every day? seriously?), this much class imbalance (useless GF/GWF, too much heal aggro, etc.), and this many exploits.

And before you say to me, oh it's not a launch its still beta, PUH-LEASE wake up and smell the roses this game is full soft launch in every way imaginable, Cryptic only calls it a beta cos they dont want to be held liable for any bugs that are found.

No mmo launch with long maintenance issues, a lot of exploits and epic failures at launch? Are you serious? there are plenty like champions, Dark age of Camelot, Conan, Atlantica, Anarchy online, Phantasy Star online, Ragnarok Online and many more. Personally I think this is a great game with a lot of potential, people just need to give it time, for a game in Beta it offers a lot compared to what many other games in Beta have.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shadow71 wrote: »
    This discussion of the word beta is getting so old I think everyone in this game so far will have at least 2 characters maxed before people start to wake up and realize they have been playing a live game from the moment they announced that we could download. I mean really people are you just clowing around or are you not looking at the facts. This game has been going on how long now? For the most a Open Beta would last at least about 2-3 weeks at the most before the game is out and just how long have you been playing your character. Normally when a game is giving players who buy into it first they would get a headstart from beta to live which usually is about 3-5 days. Ask yourself were players giving this? And if this is still an on going over the top Open Beta then what is the differences from it being Open Beta to Live? Nothing at all the game will still go on the same as it is.. All points add to one fact. The word beta is just being labeled here and it was Live as soon as you were able to download it.

Don't assume other people's definition is the same as your own. I judge whether it's beta or not based on content and features, not payment options. And the features could still use a lot of work. (incidentally, yes I do consider some "releases" to be open beta instead.)
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    In Everquest we had hour-long rollbacks YEARS after the release and I'm talking about loosing raid wins and epic gear then :cool:
    I agree there have been worse cases with downtime and whatnot, but what makes this worse anyway is that real money is involved.
    lyokira wrote: »
    Don't assume other people's definition is the same as your own. I judge whether it's beta or not based on content and features, not payment options. And the features could still use a lot of work. (incidentally, yes I do consider some "releases" to be open beta instead.)
    Betas have a wipe at the end.... this isn't beta.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • Options
    aevlomaevlom Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Also, stop buying into this "open beta" <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. If this were a true "beta", there would be a character wipe before launch.
    This was a launch.
    Period.
  • Options
    rasmuseprasmusep Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 53
    edited May 2013
    People are looking for drama and reasons to ***** and moan about a game. It really is sad now a days.
  • Options
    arntoyarntoy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm confused, isn't the game still in beta?
    As a GWF, this is how I beat TR/CW!

[frnXxyM.gif
  • Options
    kennyfinnkennyfinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fongador wrote: »
    I rarely ran into any issues at all with GW2 outside the fact it had one of the worst personal story designs and dungeon gameplay I have seen in a long time in an mmo.

Far as bugs and exploits go though GW2 was a rather smooth launch.

Did you really play when it launched? Ill admit apart from the spawn auto attack killing, there wasnt really any exploits. But as bugs go once you hit forty the areas were rife with them. This could have been just the server I was playing on but I think it was more widespread than that. Several areas were impossible to complete. Considering completing areas got you some of the better gear in GW2 this was a major problem.
    Lower lever areas were relatively bug free however.
  • Options
    arntoyarntoy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aevlom wrote: »
    Also, stop buying into this "open beta" <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. If this were a true "beta", there would be a character wipe before launch.
    This was a launch.
    Period.

"Open" beta means no wipe, "Close" beta means there is. :)
    As a GWF, this is how I beat TR/CW!

[frnXxyM.gif
  • Options
    eros1986eros1986 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    veelio wrote: »
    still beta, dont care what you say!

dont play beta if you dont want updates

You sir, you are the perfect customer.
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    rasmusep wrote: »
    People are looking for drama and reasons to ***** and moan about a game. It really is sad now a days.
    Indeed you are.
    arntoy wrote: »
    I'm confused, isn't the game still in beta?
    I'm sure you are confused a lot of the time :)
  • Options
    shadow71shadow71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »

I have beta tested MMOs before they were even a cool thing to do. And what I posted is not me assuming a definition to how long an Open Beta last it is something I and I am very sure alot of gamers who have played for many years know. And believe me if you think that this is beta then you are very highly mistaken but to each his/her own. I very sure if that Open Beta sign stays up on the main page for a year people such as yourself would still believe we are still in OB.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kennyfinn wrote: »
    Did you really play when it launched? Ill admit apart from the spawn auto attack killing, there wasnt really any exploits. But as bugs go once you hit forty the areas were rife with them. This could have been just the server I was playing on but I think it was more widespread than that. Several areas were impossible to complete. Considering completing areas got you some of the better gear in GW2 this was a major problem.
    Lower lever areas were relatively bug free however.
    There was a lot of downtime the first 2-3 days and there was an "exploit" that got people banned (pepper poppers), but there wasn't ongoing downtimes and exploits like there has already been in this game.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    aevlom wrote: »
    This was a launch.
    Period.
    Sorry Pal, I played lots of betas and for the last years most games adopted the same sceme:
    - Alphas with some 100 handpicked players, wipe, NDA (no shop)
    - Closed Beta with several 1000 invited players, wipe, NDA (no shop)
    - Open Beta for everyone, no wipe, No NDA, (shop if applicable)
    - Final Launch

I agree that the line between Open Beta and Launch is quite thin but Open Betas are also there to test server stability and capacity so there is indeed something in between Closed Beta and Launch.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sorry Pal, I played lots of betas and for the last years most games adopted the same sceme:
    - Final Launch

I agree that the line between Open Beta and Launch is quite thin but Open Betas are also there to test server stability and capacity so there is indeed something in between Closed Beta and Launch.
    Sure... and they were all PW games, so what is your point.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    - Final Launch

Lol seriously? They are testing stability always within a MMO so we may as well call a game that has been out for 4-8 years Open Beta too then.
  • Options
    demampdemamp Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    narathkor wrote: »
    NO because it is not launch it is beta doh.

Is this a joke. Just because they called it a Beta to avoid reviews and excuse an unfinished product doesn't make this any different than any of Cryptic's other launches. When they released Star Trek online the Klingon faction had no quests you could only pvp with them LOL. This would be like Blizzard releasing WoW with no quests for the Horde. This is how they roll here it's just this time they were smart, gamed you all and got you to buy into the "beta" angle for a game that should still be in alpha.
  • Options
    clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was going with no, but after the handling of this exploiting issue im going with a firm yes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by roents
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    shadow71 wrote: »
    Lol seriously? They are testing stability always within a MMO so we may as well call a game that has been out for 4-8 years Open Beta too then.

Do a google search for "stress test +mmo"
  • Options
    fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    mesteric wrote: »
    Must not have played Vanguard, Xyson, Champions, Conan, or a few others I can think of..:)

Yeah VG was comically bad.

I never did get my unicorn those <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    fongador wrote: »
    Yeah VG was comically bad.
    But most KNEW the game wasn't finished when it was officially launched.

VG Still had the best secondary activities in any MMO I've ever played, Diplomacy and Crafting was SO awesome.
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    maho4200 wrote: »

VG Still had the best secondary activities in any MMO I've ever played, Diplomacy and Crafting was SO awesome.

Well, people should know that Neverwinter isn't finished either. Anyone who claims otherwise is simply ignoring the facts. And again, no, just because a game is commercial doesn't mean it's finished.
  • Options
    fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    maho4200 wrote: »

Gotta be honest here. I have my issues with this game, and I'm not defending this exploit debacle but to be honest the game is more put together than I would have expected. Least from a content perspective.

I would go into my problems with the game but at this point I just sound like a broken record. This isn't a great OB by any means but I've seen far worse over the years. That doesn't make it ok but doesn't make it the worst either.

...and for those quibbling over the whole launch/OB issue you come across rather silly. Everyone knows how companies do the "OB dance" with F2P games.
  • Options
    cr1t1kalcr1t1kal Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While I can think of games that launched with more stability issues, I can't think of any game with more widespread game-breaking exploits.

D3 comes close, but not quite.
  • Options
    adima25adima25 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Open beta, not launch, if you gonna badmouth a game over that..
    to your left is the exit, please use it and don't come again ^_^
  • Options
    cornellimcornellim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People are stupid for thinking its okey to have so many bugs and exploits in game bacause of game being beta, wake up fools its a trick of this company to make you overlook the sloppy mistakes while you spend time in their zen shop
  • Options
    scarabeascarabea Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't get people who instantly yell "APOCALYPSE" when something like that happens.... Does this entertain you ?

IMO this is nothing compared to other launches I have experienced, regarding the fact that the queue times were fixed very fast. Aion for example was far, far worse.
  • Options
    jmerithewjmerithew Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    While I don't think it's the worst ever, it's certainly the worst in recent history. Devs have gotten better at testing more and bringing the game to a higher level of polish before release, this wase a huuuuuuuge step back in regard. It's actually so bad that I've finally decided to give The Secret World a shot after boycotting Funcom for the trainwreck that was the AoC release. This is way worse.