test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is this the most disastrous MMO launch in history?

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    drexl420 wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen an MMO launch with this much maintenance (every day? seriously?), this much class imbalance (useless GF/GWF, too much heal aggro, etc.), and this many exploits.

And before you say to me, oh it's not a launch its still beta, PUH-LEASE wake up and smell the roses this game is full soft launch in every way imaginable, Cryptic only calls it a beta cos they dont want to be held liable for any bugs that are found.

no...

Vangaurd saga of heroes... logged out at level 10 or was it 20? logged back in at level 19... contacted CS about the issue and was told " OH WELL" and told to bugger off.

Lag issues
    Dungeons problems do to design
    crashes
    glitches
    ect...
  • Options
    suroh66suroh66 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This is a beta not a lunch to many people don't understand what an open beta is, I suggest you look up the term and find out :)
  • Options
    scan69scan69 Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    suroh66 wrote: »
    This is a beta not a lunch to many people don't understand what an open beta is, I suggest you look up the term and find out :)

You have to be backward. You just have to.

ANYONE that thinks this is "open beta" is not all there. They just call it "open beta" so any complaints can be palmed off as "open beta".

Do you really think there is anyone out there waiting for the game to officially launch? No.

The fact they have REAL money AH and the ability to pump Zen into the game means it is NOT open beta but launch. They should never of allowed real money in the game until it has been fully tested, otherwise loopholes and exploits would cause HUGE imbalances and game breaking issues... Oh.. Wait.. oops!

Only a complete i-diot would say, "It's beta!"
  • Options
    doobysnackzdoobysnackz Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    suroh66 wrote: »

I suggest you shut your liehole.
    There is ABSOLUTELY nothing open beta about this game.
    By your "logic" no game is EVER fracking launched because they are ALWAYS releasing patches...LOL!
  • Options
    antonn13antonn13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I suggest you shut your liehole.
    There is ABSOLUTELY nothing open beta about this game.
    By your "logic" no game is EVER fracking launched because they are ALWAYS releasing patches...LOL!

8yrs & 4expansions later, WoW is still in open beta.
  • Options
    revenantbobrevenantbob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No wait, wait! I got a better MMO release that was <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>! All Points Bulletin! APB! How could I forget the fact I had to hit up EA for my money back on a Steam game that went belly up in a couple weeks?
    houserin_signature.png
  • Options
    doobysnackzdoobysnackz Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    antonn13 wrote: »
    8yrs & 4expansions later, WoW is still in open beta.

Yeah. lol.

We need to stop this BS practice of companies trying to merge the definitions of open beta and launched. If the only distinction between the two is the fact that open beta still has bugs then we may as well label all games open beta and be done with it.
  • Options
    phat320phat320 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For me, the worst launch game is Allods online. gPotato tried to sell 4 extra inventory slots for $20 from the start. Their greed is on another level. :mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Use this Induction I.D for free stuffs :D

6700125G000808000000100S15fb1f
  • Options
    squibshotsquibshot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    samanthya wrote: »
    EQ, WoW, DAoC, LoTRO, Aion, Warhammer...

Just to name a select few that I've been there for launch that had MUCH worse ones then this.

There are many more I could easily list, but honestly, if you think this is "the worst", all I can say is, welcome to gaming online!!

+1. I agree with this blanket statement
  • Options
    regnorvexregnorvex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    UO, EQ and AO were actually worse, but they were the pioneers. Things should have improved and, if you're measuring on the scale of recent releases, this one is pretty high up there. On a scale that measures how bad it is compared to how easy it would have been to avoid, it takes the cake.

Stupid programming, parameter check 101. But that's not the scary part. As Tom Peters used to say about the airline industry: "dirty tray tables means sloppy engine maintenance".
    "Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Options
    klucientklucient Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No wait, wait! I got a better MMO release that was <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>! All Points Bulletin! APB! How could I forget the fact I had to hit up EA for my money back on a Steam game that went belly up in a couple weeks?

Lol, APB..

The only way I got my money back was by writing a letter to the BBB because they wouldn't refund me. Luckily I never paid for a subscription fee because I made a boatload in RTW points with my designs and could just use that to pay for my subscription. Talk about a disaster.
  • Options
    luciohexluciohex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nah, the worst MMO launch in history was Champions Online: The day before the game was due to be released they realised that they'd set the difficulty bar *way* too low, and up'd it so hard that a chunk of the player base had to be refunded their pre-payments and subscription fees.

This, by comparison is pretty mediocre for a launch
  • Options
    dolnordolnor Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Way worse was Vanguard:Saga of Heroes. It took 2 additional years after release to fix all the bugs which were identified during closed alpha/beta testings.

TQQdles
    ... Εξελίσσεται διαρκώς εικονικής πραγματικότητας είναι το ολόγραμμα λόγου της infobahn ....
  • Options
    mountain45mountain45 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was there at vanguards launch i played it for 16 months bug infested.. it took tooooo long to get going and then limped around for 5 years with every little subs and SOE didnt even update it for like 3 years

YUp VG was the WORST ever!!!! now its F2P and i wont bother going back..
    got a bettr computr and still have freezes and lag spikes galore!!!
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mutharex wrote: »
    Yup, D3, a single player game you couldn't play because their servers were borked.

D3 felt like a huge rip-off to me, they promissed so many things... Since then I swore to myself to never buy a Blizzard product again.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    goladongoladon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You must be new to mmos and game launches.

Having played dozens of mmos since Ultima Online, this is one of the better launches, by far.
  • Options
    jjb828jjb828 Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In History? Oh no.. Not at all..

I've played a few MMO launches, and most of them have been decent, not the best, but decent. This is pretty bad though, as half the bugs weren't worked out in Beta and were released with Open Beta. Also, Diablo 3 isn't an MMO

Being an MMO made after many, many MMO's they -should- have learned something. Looked through their game, made normal Beta last a little longer, maybe get the players to help fix bugs as I'm sure half of them just played the game without reporting bugs.

Overall, very sloppy release with a poor looking future at this time
    Check out the Neverwinter/ESO guild Rogue's Gallery! While you're at our forums, submit an application and join our glorious regime!
  • Options
    herakleiaherakleia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    I was there at the Age of Conan launch. There at the beginning for Champions Online, too. Both of those were rockier than this has been; hell, the Burning Crusade launch in WoW was rockier than this.

With age comes perspective, Grasshopper.
  • Options
    demiurgerealmdemiurgerealm Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    drexl420 wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen an MMO launch with this much maintenance (every day? seriously?), this much class imbalance (useless GF/GWF, too much heal aggro, etc.), and this many exploits.

And before you say to me, oh it's not a launch its still beta, PUH-LEASE wake up and smell the roses this game is full soft launch in every way imaginable, Cryptic only calls it a beta cos they dont want to be held liable for any bugs that are found.

So your history with MMOs goes back for at least 20 minutes?

The worst MMO launch was Anarchy Online. The game was quite innovative but they bungled it, it was the first game with instances and the instance mechanism broke down and people were trapped in shops, apartments, and backyards for DAYS. The game had a massive memory leak that went on for months before being fixed. The game ran so badly that they proposed putting in a switch to disable any other players from appearing on screen with you. Expensive and hard to find weapons would get bugged and become unusable while in your pack (this bug lasted for about a year or more). A few months after launch they broke the out of combat switch so you could never get out of combat state and heal up properly. There were more but you get my point.

The second worst MMO launch was World War II Online, where you had infantry spawning in upside down with their head underground and tanks that flew, when the servers were actually up long enough to log in and see the bugs.

You kids need to stop whining about game launches, you really don't know **** from Shinola.
    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Realm of the Demiurge Foundry Works

Neverwinter isn't D&D, it is a MMO based on a game that uses D&D terms but isn't really D&D either. NW is fun (for that matter so is 4E), but it isn't D&D, and once you wrap your expectations around that you will be able to enjoy the game for what it offers and not worry about what it does not.
  • Options
    herakleiaherakleia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    The second worst MMO launch was World War II Online, where you had infantry spawning in upside down with their head underground and tanks that flew....

This was for realism's sake. World War II was actually like that.
  • Options
    kadlenakadlena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298
    edited May 2013
    I can't believe that nobody has mentioned "Horizons" yet. Oh, hold up a sec. Actually, that makes sense.

I bet most of you have never even heard of it. Which makes total sense...because......Yes, it's launch was THAT bad.

Honestly -- this beta/launch doesn't even rank in my top ten of the worst ever.

I guess it's all relative to an individual's gaming experience.
    And subjective point of view.