test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Include Ability Score Rolling When Using Respec Tokens

penpenstarpenpenstar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2013 in PvE Discussion
I can't understand why you cant reroll your ability scores when using the respec token. It just makes no sense that we cant reroll them after using a respec token. You can't really fully change your toon's build without rerolling those stats no matter how little change it might do.

Example:

Changing from a wis-heavy cleric into a more efficient cha cleric
ex. Tiefling with a base 18WIS 13 13 (20WIS 13 13 with 12 INT) vs. Tiefling with 16WIS 16CHA 12 (16WIS 18 CHA 12 with 14 INT)
Yes you can get all the related feats that you want and all the recovery items that you want but those extra 7% recharge time from stats will be very essential to your build change.

Changing from a defensive build into a more offensive/balanced one in both fighters.
ex. if you are on a full 18 13 13 or 17 14 14 full defensive (GF)/offensive (GWF) build and would like to balance your stats, you obviously need to turn it into the 16 16 12 one so you get balanced bonuses.
end game you get a potential 26 19 15 or 25 20 15, on the balanced stats you get 22 24 14 that extra 3%/2% from the secondary stat that you want is not something that you can ignore, no matter how small, it helps you optimize your build.

Again, I really don't get it- can't they just include this feature when using the respec token. You change your whole setup but you are still stuck with the same base stats? How is that "retraining"? It feels like part of your toon is still stuck on your previous build.

Now here's the question, is this something that they are working on currently or something that they plan to sell as a different item shop thing in the future?

Your thoughts? I hope the devs read this.
Post edited by penpenstar on

Comments

• uriziemuriziem Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 69
    edited May 2013
    /signed for include all, race and ability score
    Uriziel TR lev 60 Gear Rating 12400
    Uriziel GF Gear Rating 14800
    David Grave CW 10500 Gear Rating 6000 recovery(kripparian build)
    Uriziem Monk Completionist 28 past life , DDO player since March 2006 (2006-2009 on Devourer server, 2009-2012 on Cannith server)
    ex officer and founder of Ordo Draconis, DDO Italian Elite Guild, now on NEVERWINTER
    large.png
    picture sharing
  • edwardloxaredwardloxar Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I re-rolled yday on my cleric due to her being uneffective and because i auto set her ability scores on my creation i started with 13STR, 15WIS, 15 CHA and can only get my wisdom to a max of 21 which is saddening :(
    so my new build still isnt as effective as i hoped it would be or could be
  • penpenstarpenpenstar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yes that's why they should allow us to re-roll our ability scores
  • palelonginuspalelonginus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This absolutely needs to happen. This is the only MMO I know where you can accidentally gimp yourself in character creation, and unable to fix it later. New players cannot be expected to know what build they want to play 59 levels later.
  • baranar1baranar1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well I for one don't approve at all, ofc I would like to reroll myself into mr superhero with all the minmax stats but you made a choice and should be forced to stick with it. Just my two cents.
  • thehighcounselthehighcounsel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    Yea I was stunned and saddened with I used my respec and I was like um why didn't it give me a roll screen for ability points. I created this character on the whim, knowing nothing about what matters, especially as a cleric the primary and secondary stats are not what most people prefer (lots like higher strength, or more balance, as wisdom isn't just as worth the crit you get from str)

I still have no idea why this wasn't apart of a "respec" especially the fact we have to pay for it. Maybe DnD/neverwinter is really harsh about ability scores more than anything, but this is an mmo with many builds and things need to be tested, so we need a respec that does everything.:/ Being able to test and adjust buildsis a big part of mmos and this puts a wrench in for people who were not aware (like those didn't watch beta and this game came almost out of nowhere, heh) of what stats matter.
  • johnfelljohnfell Banned Users Posts: 408 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    +10

Completely agree with the first 2 posters.
    edited May 2013
    i'm sorry baranar but i think what you said is a bit shortsighted, i for one decided for a build at the start and am still using it until now (on my gf). Everything changed when my DC friend wanted to turn his cleric into a recovery-rich CHA based DC, it was at that moment that we learnt that the respec token is not doing what it is supposedly designed to do (to completely reset every stat, feat or power that you have previously allocated). You can't expect anyone to know what to do, or know what stat allocations are best for their toons when the game has barely started, theories are still being tested, experiments are still being drawn. It's a complete waste of time to know that for you to optimize the build that you have successfully tested, you have to delete your already maxed out toon just because the 6$ retraining token doesnt work as completely as it should.

You make wrong choices in MMOs, that why the devs always have some sort of respec on their item shops- so that people will not be forced to live with the choices they made at the start of the game. A game evolves because of its players (thru theory-crafting and experimentation with current and possible character builds), what is considered to be right today may be hideously wrong the next month/day. This game already has a respec facility, this shows us that the devs wants to give us choices while we are playing, and that they support the community's experimentation (because it obviously improves the game by surfacing imbalances and relative useful/uselessness of a certain skill or feat), the only thing left to do is to enhance/perfect that respec facility by allowing us to completely re allocate everything. This will promote class build development despite the innate limits of having pre rolled stats.

Serious MMO players are stat freaks whether they do or they do not admit it. That's why respecs sell so well across all games, and this is why I think NWO's respec needs fixing.
  • daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This is a huge problem. I am going to have to delete my cleric and start over rather than use the token that, I will be honest, was the final motivator in buying the guardian pack (that it was included, because I knew I had made talent mistakes while trying to figure out what I was doing)...
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • braddassbraddass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 108
    edited May 2013
    I agree 100%. When you respec your stats, you should get to reroll the stats as well.
    I am a Lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    baranar1 wrote: »
    Well I for one don't approve at all, ofc I would like to reroll myself into mr superhero with all the minmax stats but you made a choice and should be forced to stick with it. Just my two cents.

Three things to consider:

1) We can already respec powers and level up attribute points. The respec token costs $6 and does not mention that the initial attributes are not affected by it. I respect not wanting it in the game, but it is already there, just incomplete.

2) The problem with the Cleric is that Wisdom is advertised as the main stat, but is in fact worse than the secondary stats. The information the game provided at character creation is incorrect from an end game perspective. It is misleading.

3) Rerolling is not always a viable option, e.g. someone may have spent money on a character in form of bank slots, character bound bags, single-character companions and mounts, companion slot unlocks, and so on.

I would be willing to pay for being able to change the initial stats of my Cleric. Or for a race change.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • cocksworthcocksworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    baranar1 wrote: »

Your 2 cents < my 6 dollars. Respec token should = skills, feats, stats, and race.

I guess I should have known half orcs with more strength than charisma make the best rogues.
  • sydanyosydanyo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If there's a respec, then there's no point in limiting it so that stats can't be rerolled, and reallocated.

At the very least there should be an additional "stat reroll/reallocation" option, perhaps for an even bigger zen cost. I personally couldn't give two bits if it costs more, as long as I don't have to delete my soon to be level 40 character at this point.

Not that leveling takes that much time, but since there's going to be a respec in the first place, it should just allow stat rerolling/reallocation as well. That's just logical.
  • daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »

1) We can already respec powers and level up attribute points. The respec token costs $6 and does not mention that the initial attributes are not affected by it. I respect not wanting it in the game, but it is already there, just incomplete.

2) The problem with the Cleric is that Wisdom is advertised as the main stat, but is in fact worse than the secondary stats. The information the game provided at character creation is incorrect from an end game perspective. It is misleading.

3) Rerolling is not always a viable option, e.g. someone may have spent money on a character in form of bank slots, character bound bags, single-character companions and mounts, companion slot unlocks, and so on.

I would be willing to pay for being able to change the initial stats of my Cleric. Or for a race change.

I agree with this and feel that the bolded are very valid and important points. There is a deception, whether accidental or intentional and it needs to be resolved.

Race changes though, that should not be part of a respec token.
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »

agree with you completely, especially when you are in the process of rolling the ability scores, the stats dont even say what it does for the class when you mouse over it =.="
    sydanyo wrote: »
    If there's a respec, then there's no point in limiting it so that stats can't be rerolled, and reallocated.

At the very least there should be an additional "stat reroll/reallocation" option, perhaps for an even bigger zen cost. I personally couldn't give two bits if it costs more, as long as I don't have to delete my soon to be level 40 character at this point.

Not that leveling takes that much time, but since there's going to be a respec in the first place, it should just allow stat rerolling/reallocation as well. That's just logical.

dude i'd gladly pay 10$ if it allows me to reroll my abilities as well XD and true, time wasted, no matter how long or short (in this case a couple or more days) is still wasted time, people would kill for time.

and yes, not everyone wants to delete their character just to get their ability scores allocated correctly (ADs or costly bound special items as imivo said).

i hope the devs look into our thread and read every single valid point everyone has taken up
  • dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I re-rolled yday on my cleric due to her being uneffective and because i auto set her ability scores on my creation i started with 13STR, 15WIS, 15 CHA and can only get my wisdom to a max of 21 which is saddening :(
    so my new build still isnt as effective as i hoped it would be or could be

you want as high of a str stat as possible on a cleric. it's 1% crit for every point after 10 in str and int for clerics, and this crit% is not affected by DR.
  • cocksworthcocksworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The worst part is when the new paragon trees are released there's a chance the free respec will also only be skills and feats. So in essence if you decide to change paragon trees you might be switching to a paragon role with ability scores you ruined for a Paragon path that hadn't even existed when you rolled your ability scores.
  • sejo77sejo77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Supporting this idea 100%.
    What is the point to respec your toon when you can't change its starting stats which is the foundation of every build?
    Without changing the starting stats you are just polishing a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> with your respec token.Besides if someone pays 6 bucks to fix his mistakes he is rightfully expect a full fixation and not just a partial one.It should be basic to have an option to fix your toon if you don't like your current build or you just want play with other builds.Right now unfortunately the respec token can't give you that, the only option you have is reroll which is insane (especially when you hit level 60 and you realize that your build is not entierly suitable for epics).So you have to delete your level 60 toon just to fix its starting stats?
    True this is still BETA so we have to be patient and give them time to fix bugs and exploits.But these things are not bugs or exploits these are game mechanics which reflects the developers and the company ideas how a game should be work,look like.
    For some reason and my feelings tells me this change won't happen fast.Companys/developers always up to make their game as enjoyable as possible without bugs an exploits but when it comes to an idea to change base game mechanics they somehow become stubborn and refuse to change anything.(because it is against their ideas/business model which i partly understand)
    I think the best possible solution is give each other some time.I will check back later maybe after open BETA and see how the final product look like :).
  • palelonginuspalelonginus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I understand that it might take some time to make this happen, but I need to hear that it is going to.
    edited May 2013
    ^

true, keep posting your ideas so the devs might take notice

this is a very important addition to the current, lacking respec option
  • flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not opposed to the OP's idea, but ..... I pretty strongly believe that the issue would mostly go away if the devs would fix our stats, so that they work as they're supposed to. For example, if DCs are better off stacking CHA than WIS, then that's an issue that needs to be repaired.

I think that if/when they finally fix our stats, they should give us all a free 100% respec, to include our initial stats. Until they get that done, they SHOULD allow the Zen respec token to change initial stats. Because, in the end, this is THEIR screw-up, not ours, & THEY need to fix it, rather than charging us money while not letting us actually fix the issue ourselves.
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • lhyeuzelhyeuze Member Posts: 71
    edited May 2013
    flayedawg wrote: »
    I'm not opposed to the OP's idea, but ..... I pretty strongly believe that the issue would mostly go away if the devs would fix our stats, so that they work as they're supposed to. For example, if DCs are better off stacking CHA than WIS, then that's an issue that needs to be repaired.

I think that if/when they finally fix our stats, they should give us all a free 100% respec, to include our initial stats. Until they get that done, they SHOULD allow the Zen respec token to change initial stats. Because, in the end, this is THEIR screw-up, not ours, & THEY need to fix it, rather than charging us money while not letting us actually fix the issue ourselves.

Or even balance stats, like str is better than cha for TR
    edited May 2013
    bottom line, they still should somehow include it even after fixing/reworking stat bonuses. It's just impossible for a respec option to work well unless it resets everything
  • mievhmievh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 106 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Having to pay for our leveling mistakes is preposterous.

They can't expect players to know the ins and outs of the game at creation or not even during normal leveling, not to mention the actual amount of bugged powers that don't work so well, effectively wasting points.

I'm very much against paying for our player mistakes.
    Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.
  • lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    uriziem wrote: »
    /signed for include all, race and ability score

Yes. I really want to roll out of my Tiefling seeing as how the racial doesn't stack with TM! So I am pretty much stuck with a useless racial when I could have rolled a Human or Drow instead.
    edited May 2013
    On topic but somewhat as a side note. Is there an official twitter? I just don't want to delete a level 55, almost 56 cleric that I have slow leveled and role-played through the game with unless I -have- to...

Having to remake her will force me to use a new character slot, leaving the broken one on as a merchant and professions character indefinitely. Not to mention, the name. I've had this character throughout games since about 2003 so, this means I will also have to pay for name changes.
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    daschla wrote: »
    On topic but somewhat as a side note. Is there an official twitter? I just don't want to delete a level 55, almost 56 cleric that I have slow leveled and role-played through the game with unless I -have- to...

Having to remake her will force me to use a new character slot, leaving the broken one on as a merchant and professions character indefinitely. Not to mention, the name. I've had this character throughout games since about 2003 so, this means I will also have to pay for name changes.

Leaving her as a mule/professions until later on would be the smart thing.

Most likely they will fix/add the ability points for the respec.

You might as well start leveling up another toon in the mean time and once they correct the issue you can flip back to your main and use the alt as a crafter aswell.
  • emorbidemorbid Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    On the one hand, I don't think respec tokens should be $6 a pop, especially if it doesn't grant stat reallocation. Heck, I think $2 is more than you should have to pay for a respec in a game, but if demand is high enough for something, I won't fault the company for taking advantage.

On the other hand, I think the player should have a certain amount of accountability when making his/her character. Sometimes, in a game, you have to make choices, and those choices should have some meaning or consequence. You should have to take some time and -think- about what you want to play and how you want to play it; run some tests for yourself, ask questions from the community and do some research. You'll value your character that much more because of your investment in doing it your own way.

I went through a lot of guides and watched many youtube videos before I created both of my characters; a routine I typically do before jumping into any MMO's character creation screens. I haven't deemed it necessary to respec any points - I planned ahead and decided I didn't want to give my money away for bad choices I made early on if I could help it.

If there comes a time where the devs decide to significantly change the stat weights and nullify the effectiveness of the builds I'm using, then I'll gripe about it on the forums and either ragequit the free game (if they didn't implement stat redistribution by then) or pay my six bucks for a respec (if they did).

But for now, I say give the people as many options as they are willing to pay for. They want to pay for a stat respec? Do it, and charge 'em. Race respec? Charge 'em. Name change, server swap, account swap, and gender spec? Make yo' money, PWE/Cryptic.
    "There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."
    -- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    edited May 2013
    emorbid wrote: »
    On the one hand, I don't think respec tokens should be $6 a pop, especially if it doesn't grant stat reallocation. Heck, I think $2 is more than you should have to pay for a respec in a game, but if demand is high enough for something, I won't fault the company for taking advantage.

On the other hand, I think the player should have a certain amount of accountability when making his/her character. Sometimes, in a game, you have to make choices, and those choices should have some meaning or consequence. You should have to take some time and -think- about what you want to play and how you want to play it; run some tests for yourself, ask questions from the community and do some research. You'll value your character that much more because of your investment in doing it your own way.

I went through a lot of guides and watched many youtube videos before I created both of my characters; a routine I typically do before jumping into any MMO's character creation screens. I haven't deemed it necessary to respec any points - I planned ahead and decided I didn't want to give my money away for bad choices I made early on if I could help it.

If there comes a time where the devs decide to significantly change the stat weights and nullify the effectiveness of the builds I'm using, then I'll gripe about it on the forums and either ragequit the free game (if they didn't implement stat redistribution by then) or pay my six bucks for a respec (if they did).

But for now, I say give the people as many options as they are willing to pay for. They want to pay for a stat respec? Do it, and charge 'em. Race respec? Charge 'em. Name change, server swap, account swap, and gender spec? Make yo' money, PWE/Cryptic.

It's one thing to expect demand and charge accordingly just because people can be fickle and what looked good to them 4 minutes ago is now old and they want something new, and to -create- the demand by leaving important information out of the roll screen, preventing people, ESPECIALLY those who have been playing D&D and games based on those rules for a long time, from making effective rolls by knowing what things actually do.

To me, charisma has always meant how others viewed my character, her attraction and her ability to manipulate the will of others so, to find out that it has to do with how fast my skills recharge was news to me, because it wasn't stated.

The same could be said for strength, it wasn't clear to me that strength was going to increase my critical and stamina, which I thought was directly related to dexterity and constitution with the former was a health pool. Now, the kicker is to find out that wisdom is useless. It boggles my mind that wisdom is my least desirable stat of the three, but like before, I pumped it full of points because in addition to what I know from my past experience playing clerics, the game told me that it was my most important stat.

I understand that it's my responsibility to research builds, but it's also the makers responsibility to be up front about what the choices mean, not word things on a creation screen solely from a 'role-play' perspective and then rack up the dollars later when thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of people find out "OMG.. Clerics don't use wisdom?" I want them to make money, but I don't want them to do it dishonestly.

So, I made a mistake in my build. I chose the wrong talents. I chose the wrong paragon feats. I rolled the wrong stats for -this- game and I am perfectly willing to pay to make up for it, though, I do think they need to offer a freebie at 60 to give people a chance to learn and correct their mistakes, not make them suffer for it.

So, I've paid for a token and I can't use it, because it won't let me correct the mistakes I've made, because I am stuck with stats that will only handicap me severely.
  • xmarcoooxxmarcooox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with all the above posters and in-fact, I made the mistake of purchasing their $60 founder's pack just for the free respec and everything included in it. All the gears I got from the pack will be stucked in the character I wanted to respec. I learned too late that respect can only change the feat and powers and not my abilities. As a main cleric who have only played for 4 days and with the game telling me that wisdom is the main stat for clerics, i feel lied to and even spent money just so that my 4 days of playing time won't be wasted. I do hope that the devs will be able to read all the valid points in this topic and give us what is rightfully promised to us.
This discussion has been closed.