What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Include Ability Score Rolling When Using Respec Tokens

Comments

• Options
    starsk7starsk7 Member Posts: 36
    edited November 2013
    How in 9 hells hasn't this been implemented yet!?

It's truly mind blowing.

Like most I started my character thinking certain stats were decent. "Meh I can just respec later!" I said.

Now I'm stuck with a CW with 15+ in wisdom and low cha. Really? My GWF has 12 con lol.

Race changes I could care less about but stats? This must be a joke.
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Very cool that Cryptic is looking in to changing this!
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    swarfega27swarfega27 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Very cool that Cryptic is looking in to changing this!

some looks can take longer than others..... Soms post 06-17-2013, 02:07 PM
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    swarfega27 wrote: »
    some looks can take longer than others..... Soms post 06-17-2013, 02:07 PM

"Looking into" does not mean "sure, we're going to do this!" It means "okay, we'll pass this along to the dev team for future consideration but they may choose not to implement it".
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ayroux wrote: »
    I completely get what your saying, the problem is they made certain races SO much stronger than others...
    ...snip...

out of the two options between implementing race changes/initial ability score rolls vs nerfing the halfling racial bonuses, they'd take the latter option. in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I think you maybe making jumps which arent there. I never implied i expected it to be done by now. Unless you know more than the rest of us you are assuming what the response was from the devs.

I am implying 5 months on its more likely they may have chosen not to implement it.

I also think when you tell people "its a great idea" and being investigated that one way or another a result should be returned. Like a reply etc.

i.e.
    -We cant make it work right now perhaps in the future.
    -Doesnt fit with our design goal.
    -No.
    -Stop posting or i'll eat all your chocolate.
    -Too soon to tell. Long term agenda item.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    out of the two options between implementing race changes/initial ability score rolls vs nerfing the halfling racial bonuses, they'd take the latter option. in my opinion.

de-evolution? would that make them a quarterling? :)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I think you maybe making jumps which arent there. I never implied i expected it to be done by now. Unless you know more than the rest of us you are assuming what the response was from the devs.

I am implying 5 months on its more likely they may have chosen not to implement it.

I also think when you tell people "its a great idea" and being investigated that one way or another a result should be returned. Like a reply etc.

i.e.
    -We cant make it work right now perhaps in the future.
    -Doesnt fit with our design goal.
    -No.
    -Stop posting or i'll eat all your chocolate.
    -Too soon to tell. Long term agenda item.

the lead dev stated in an IRC chat that he meets with CMs every monday to discuss what's been going on here in the forums... what is being discussed, etc. if som thanks us for feedback in a thread like this, it is likely that this was presented in a meeting.

that being said, it's not a requirement for the company to come back here and give you reasons of why it's not been implemented. there could be a lot of reasons for that. it may be listed in a report that keeps getting pushed back because it's really not important enough for them to hash it out right now. there are all kinds of assumptions that can be made about why it hasn't happened or why we haven't gotten an update on this. but they're nothing but assumptions.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the addition info source. I dont follow all there is to know.

Agreed all is assumption. I fully grasp there is no requirement nor precedent set for updates, replies, report backs etc.

I would love for the assumptions to stop that i am impatient with non implementation. This would be the second time for me to note this. Also suggesting i am the only one who would like to hear more on this given 19 pages of responses would be assumption.

I would like to hear back of some of what is discussed at those meetings. You? Since they seem to start from this very community. Lets not discuss the "assumptions" around why they dont.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the addition info source. I dont follow all there is to know.

Agreed all is assumption. I fully grasp there is no requirement nor precedent set for updates, replies, report backs etc.

I would love for the assumptions to stop that i am impatient with non implementation. This would be the second time for me to note this. Also suggesting i am the only one who would like to hear more on this given 19 pages of responses would be assumption.

I would like to hear back of some of what is discussed at those meetings. You? Since they seem to start from this very community. Lets not discuss the "assumptions" around why they dont.

well... the problem with the release of unofficial information is that they tend to somehow become promises when they are not. if i could link the IRC chat, you would definitely see velasquez being very careful about his wording concerning changes.

most game companies are tight lipped about what they're working on and only official releases provide most updates on what's to come. it's just that the information is internal and proprietary. it's not uncommon for developers/employees/contractors that work for any company to be required to sign a confidentiality agreement. that means they can't come in here and give out unreleased information that hasn't been officially provided.

i'll leave you with this:

http://crypticstudios.com/in_development

it really speaks volumes about their policy on works in progress. :)
  • Options
    crazykvexcrazykvex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I just purchased a retraining token and found out that all ability scores were set back except the ones rolled during character creation. This means that a misjudgement made when logging in for the very first time, without any knowledge of the game, will harm your character for the rest of its life. I would like to ask developers to allow the reroll of basic ability scores with the Retraining Token as well. I cannot think of any valid arguments against:

- "Not D&D-like to undo stats" --> then the current retraining token is also not "D&D-like"
    - "You can just re-create your char" --> releveling professions to 20 takes months. too much for a +/-2 stat change
    - "technical difficulties" --> valid point, but hopefully you will consider to overcome them for your player base

Please consider implementing this. The punishment for being inexperienced at your first login is just too great
  • Options
    josiahiyonjosiahiyon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I rolled a new character, now level 51. This toon will be identical to my main, except different race and initial score rolls. Would've been nice to pay for the option just to change my main toon's race and initial rolls.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    just because a free to play game has a cash shop, does that mean that every possible option you can think of should be for sale? in D&D, retraining is definitely an option that doesn't require a whole lot of imagination to achieve. that's what the respec token does. it allows you to go back to your initial rolled character and retrain him/her.

changing race and re-rolling your initial ability scores is like... recreating your character. yes, there is a resurrection spell but it would bring you back as a random race with random ability scores. so outside of some deity coming down and providing this service for $9.99 (or maybe $29.99 since it'd be considered a house call) it is unlikely that this would be something that would be so common that it would be an option for everyone. but of course, this is an MMO with pvp and people gotta min/max to have the best of the best of the best... but you still have to keep in mind that while concessions had to be made to implement d&d from one format to another, this would be too far of a concession to make considering the cornerstone of d&d is the initial character creation. the argument has been made that some DMs might allow for these changes and that may be true... but it would likely be under the strictest of circumstances which would again pan out to be something far too uncommon to allow as an option for every character.

and that's my two cents.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Melody i would agree with you IF one thing had been done on the outset of the game.

Clear, detailed descriptions on what each stat did for the class you had selected.

In D&D, the same book which had the information on race/class selections also explained clearly what each stat did.

Here you have indicators of primary and secondary importance with vague descriptions, these are traditional stats for D&D but extremely poor for many classes to choose.

Imho for something as important as initial roll scores, if are to be considered permanent, should have some of the most detailed and informative information in the game.

To be fair there might have been a design choice to limit new players exposure to information to mitigate confusion. Even if PW were to update the creation screen tool tips with those displayed in game on the character screen, it would leave those who have already created left to their despair.

It would be good customer service to look after everyone affected, even if were to be a one time offer.
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I am not in favor of racial changes BUT the initial stats should be included in the respec. I have a gimped character build, because the game did not really tell me what the stats are good for, when i first created my character.

And nope, re-rolling is not an option, i always only play one toon in mmo's. Maybe if these types of posts keep showing up on the forums, we will at least get some sort of dev response about this, not so cool issue.

cheers.

• Options
    crazykvexcrazykvex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    (...) in D&D, retraining is definitely an option that doesn't require a whole lot of imagination to achieve. that's what the respec token does. it allows you to go back to your initial rolled character and retrain him/her. changing race and re-rolling your initial ability scores is like... recreating your character.

Hi Melody, I understand your point when you are talking about race-change. Personally, I would not object to race changes, but I understand and respect your concern. What I do not understand is how you can consider re-assigning all abilities from lvl 1-60 no problem, but re-asigning abilities lvl0 as an unovercomeable obstacle.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    just because a free to play game has a cash shop, does that mean that every possible option you can think of should be for sale? in D&D, retraining is definitely an option that doesn't require a whole lot of imagination to achieve. that's what the respec token does. it allows you to go back to your initial rolled character and retrain him/her.

changing race and re-rolling your initial ability scores is like... recreating your character. yes, there is a resurrection spell but it would bring you back as a random race with random ability scores. so outside of some deity coming down and providing this service for $9.99 (or maybe $29.99 since it'd be considered a house call) it is unlikely that this would be something that would be so common that it would be an option for everyone. but of course, this is an MMO with pvp and people gotta min/max to have the best of the best of the best... but you still have to keep in mind that while concessions had to be made to implement d&d from one format to another, this would be too far of a concession to make considering the cornerstone of d&d is the initial character creation. the argument has been made that some DMs might allow for these changes and that may be true... but it would likely be under the strictest of circumstances which would again pan out to be something far too uncommon to allow as an option for every character.

and that's my two cents.

This is a game. The goal is for players to have fun, not to punish players forever due to an ill-advised decision in their first 20 minutes playing the game. Sticking to rules despite the player-base is self-defeating. Practicality trumps theory.

Allow players to change their race and initial rolls. These choices are simply too important in this game to have them be set in stone before playing. The argument against doing-so is theoretical/lofty (sometimes pompous) and ignores the practical realities of the game.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    this game is based on d&d. it even pretends to roll your initial ability stats with dice just like you would in table top d&d. you choose your race, your class, which deity you invoke, some basic background info like where you came from and you can even write out your bio like you probably would before you started playing table top d&d. before you could play an RPG on a computer, this was it. the fact that neverwinter and d&d are licensed by cryptic and they themselves are dungeons & dragons fans... and the game is primarily focused on pve, dungeons & dragons lore, etc. clearly says to me that even though certain concessions had to be made porting the game over to an MMORPG, some things have to be kept sacred. i would be very VERY surprised if this option was made available as part of a respec token.

as for the details of how each stat affects your character... it's pretty simple. you have a primary and two secondary abilities. you also have access to the internet where other like-minded players like yourselves have posted build after build both here and across the world wide web describing the stat roll and how it works... the best race for what class... what feats to choose... what powers... as soon as you pass level 4, you have to start making these serious choices about where to put your power points and heroic feats. and if you're a min/maxer, then you probably would have checked out these builds or done some sort of research on theory before committing anything. you made those initial choices. if you took bad advice or made bad choices, why is it the responsibility of production to allow you to change your mistakes? when you begin a tennis match, half-way through it, can you go back and change what you had for dinner last night to make sure that you're getting the right combination of carbohydrates and protein? this is the concept of the point of no return. this is why cryptic will take any and every other option possible before doing any rollbacks. if they were going to allow this kind of change, then why not allow people to purchase already leveled characters in the zen store? because it undermines the basic principals of the game.

i could see having this option if this was solely a pvp type game, but if that were the case, it wouldn't be a d&d licensed title.

i think we're up to about four cents now. the soapbox is up for grabs.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    josiahiyon wrote: »
    This is a game. The goal is for players to have fun, not to punish players forever due to an ill-advised decision in their first 20 minutes playing the game. Sticking to rules despite the player-base is self-defeating. Practicality trumps theory.

Allow players to change their race and initial rolls. These choices are simply too important in this game to have them be set in stone before playing. The argument against doing-so is theoretical/lofty (sometimes pompous) and ignores the practical realities of the game.

yup. it is a game. but all games have rules and you can't just change them mid-way because you made some bad choices.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    this game is based on d&d. it even pretends to roll your initial ability stats with dice just like you would in table top d&d. you choose your race, your class, which deity you invoke, some basic background info like where you came from and you can even write out your bio like you probably would before you started playing table top d&d. before you could play an RPG on a computer, this was it. the fact that neverwinter and d&d are licensed by cryptic and they themselves are dungeons & dragons fans... and the game is primarily focused on pve, dungeons & dragons lore, etc. clearly says to me that even though certain concessions had to be made porting the game over to an MMORPG, some things have to be kept sacred. i would be very VERY surprised if this option was made available as part of a respec token.

as for the details of how each stat affects your character... it's pretty simple. you have a primary and two secondary abilities. you also have access to the internet where other like-minded players like yourselves have posted build after build both here and across the world wide web describing the stat roll and how it works... the best race for what class... what feats to choose... what powers... as soon as you pass level 4, you have to start making these serious choices about where to put your power points and heroic feats. and if you're a min/maxer, then you probably would have checked out these builds or done some sort of research on theory before committing anything. you made those initial choices. if you took bad advice or made bad choices, why is it the responsibility of production to allow you to change your mistakes? when you begin a tennis match, half-way through it, can you go back and change what you had for dinner last night to make sure that you're getting the right combination of carbohydrates and protein? this is the concept of the point of no return. this is why cryptic will take any and every other option possible before doing any rollbacks. if they were going to allow this kind of change, then why not allow people to purchase already leveled characters in the zen store? because it undermines the basic principals of the game.

i could see having this option if this was solely a pvp type game, but if that were the case, it wouldn't be a d&d licensed title.

i think we're up to about four cents now. the soapbox is up for grabs.

Not really, every other mmo out there has it, already. If people keep on demanding this feature, being implemented into the respec tokens, sooner or later the dark suited guys will realize that more people would be willing to actually spend money on respec tokens, instead of farming them ingame. I am against racial changes, but initial stats that cannot be altered, seems more like a huge design flaw, to me.

But hey, since money talks it is just a matter of time, i guess.

P.S. this has nothing to do with PvP (i wonder where u got that from) PvE gamers min/max, aswell.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Not really, every other mmo out there has it, already. If people keep on demanding this feature, being implemented into the respec tokens, sooner or later the dark suited guys will realize that more people would be willing to actually spend money on respec tokens, instead of farming them ingame. I am against racial changes, but initial stats that cannot be altered, seems more like a huge design flaw, to me.

But hey, since money talks it is just a matter of time, i guess.

here's a link for DDO showing what kinds of respecs are available. if the option was available but you had to restart at level 1, would you still want the option?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    here's a link for DDO showing what kinds of respecs are available. if the option was available but you had to restart at level 1, would you still want the option?

Yes! It would be sweet. Mini- me, again. Then i could get the missing skirmishes done, aswell.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    When this game was released there was no google option to learn what each stat did in this game. That info was not readily available. No doubt you will have an answer as to why this game did not mimic D&D with regard to the function of each stat.

So you advocate needing to head to the internet to gain basic knowledge of building a character? Funny i didnt see that when i clicked on create character: Step 1: Open brower and type www.google.com.....

No it wasnt simple nor clear what each stat did. It changes on every single class chosen. No two are alike.

So 5 different versions (soon to be 6) of what each stat does in game. Nice and simple nice and clear.... to you.

Choices made on unclear and unavailable information which are permanent.

The rules can be and are changed at the whim of the company. We cant change anything but we will ask for it.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Not ideal, but better than current state. Currently, I will have to get all new equipment (since bound to main) and un-slot / re-slot.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I'm honestly quite surprised to hear any opposition to this idea (race & initial reroll). Players get more options and peace of mind. Cryptic gets more money.

Only opposition I can think of would come from 2 fringe types: (1) hardcore DND player who thinks race changes would fundamentally change his/her gaming experience, (2) hardcore DND player who thinks he/she should have the edge over noobs who don't know to research race bonuses and ideal initial stat allocations before any such information is widely available.

I guess those types actually exist.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Seriously? Maybe. Depends on what it entails. Remember 'reincarnation' in that other game affects other stuff. Like increasing total attribute points. Would we keep our BOP gear? Would our campaign progress be erased? Leveling to 60 isn't hard. So yes, if we got to keep our gear I'd probably use it. If I had to run through all the campaigns again I probably wouldn't use it very often though.

Honestly though, why bother with reincarnation? We already have a respec. A respec that resets some ability points. The logical thing should be to change that respec so that it resets them all.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    When this game was released there was no google option to learn what each stat did in this game. snip...

which release are you referring to? open beta? official live date? here's a forum link for reference. the date is early may:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?224032-Executioner-PvE-Build&highlight=build

perhaps it's not fair to assume that the people that want this option had previous knowledge of MMORPGs and the availability of such information. or that the information has probably been fine tuned over the course of open beta, the official release date, module 1 and now the soon-to-be-released module 2. it still doesn't change the game's origins and how character creation is static. to provide such an option would require some form of reincarnation that takes you back to level 1. of course, that is how DDO offered it. there's no guarantee that cryptic would adopt any of these suggestions.
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I also disagree with being allowed to respec your starting stats/race. Once you do that you have a new character for all intents and purposes. Why should that new character be allowed to start out at 60th level with complete T2 gear? If you are unhappy with your initial choices, make a new character and level it up. You can even level it up following a completely different path than you did with your first one. So don't say it is boring, because that would be your choice. Don't like to level characters? Then why are you playing a game that where leveling is an integral part of the rules?

Now for the flip side though. What should be available to characters are magic items that boost the Ability scores. Mages should be able to find rings that give plus +2/3/or 4 to Int. Clerics could have an icon, fighters a suit of armour, thieves boots and so on. Not saying this should be in addition to the Crit, ArPen, Def, or Regen stats that we have now but in place of one of those. Not entirely happy with a prior choice? Here, now you can rectify that with another set of choices. Your decision on how important those Ability scores are to you.

I have played other MMOs, both RPG and Strategy that offer you the option to "re-start". They not only charge you a hefty fee, but also impose quite the penalty for doing so. Just because other games do it doesn't mean this has to. The more this game is made to be like all the others just take Neverwinter off the title and rename it Fantasy MMO #1347.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bowdidlybowdidly Member Posts: 261 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    which release are you referring to? open beta? official live date? here's a forum link for reference. the date is early may:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?224032-Executioner-PvE-Build&highlight=build

perhaps it's not fair to assume that the people that want this option had previous knowledge of MMORPGs and the availability of such information. or that the information has probably been fine tuned over the course of open beta, the official release date, module 1 and now the soon-to-be-released module 2. it still doesn't change the game's origins and how character creation is static. to provide such an option would require some form of reincarnation that takes you back to level 1. of course, that is how DDO offered it. there's no guarantee that cryptic would adopt any of these suggestions.

I beg to dissagree here, every single class in the game has been through quite a few major changes since open beta, and most have had major changes more than once or twice, the "game's origins" may not have changed , but the way each class works within the game has changed dramaicaly since Open Beta. most if not all have had major changes done to abilitys,powers and feats, ALL out of control of the players, BUT players have to live with them.

Many many players have just give up on this game due to some of the changes that have been made within it, Being given a free respec only to what PWE perceive as a major change is one thing, but then the player as to stand the loss and more cost of replacing enchants and even whole 4 piece tier sets due to some changes.

some of these changes are not even listed in patch notes anymore, players have to find out for themselves what as been changed or not after each patch and then 'adjust' to the changes at their own cost.

I dont agree with being able to change race, but the base ability scores should be part of a respec
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I also disagree with being allowed to respec your starting stats/race. Once you do that you have a new character for all intents and purposes. Why should that new character be allowed to start out at 60th level with complete T2 gear?

So you fall into the 'haha you, spend the next couple weeks (casual) leveling a char because you didn't know the right race and stat bonuses' category. The 'right' stuff isn't "known by the community" until after most players start their toon, and will likely change in the future. Get off your high horse and let people have fun playing the game w/o wasting a fee weeks time.

There are many elements to enjoy about this game besides leveling. I actually hate leveling > once (in any game), but enjoy this game for other reasons.

A character should be able to re-race and re-roll initial stats for the same reason the character can change build. Changing build and gear has much more of an impact on a char and thus also creates 'a new character for all intents and purposes'.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
This discussion has been closed.