test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Include Ability Score Rolling When Using Respec Tokens

Comments

• biobrainbiobrain Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    penpenstar wrote: »
    I can't understand why you cant reroll your ability scores when using the respec token. It just makes no sense that we cant reroll them after using a respec token. You can't really fully change your toon's build without rerolling those stats no matter how little change it might do.

Example:

Changing from a wis-heavy cleric into a more efficient cha cleric
    ex. Tiefling with a base 18WIS 13 13 (20WIS 13 13 with 12 INT) vs. Tiefling with 16WIS 16CHA 12 (16WIS 18 CHA 12 with 14 INT)
    Yes you can get all the related feats that you want and all the recovery items that you want but those extra 7% recharge time from stats will be very essential to your build change.

Changing from a defensive build into a more offensive/balanced one in both fighters.
    ex. if you are on a full 18 13 13 or 17 14 14 full defensive (GF)/offensive (GWF) build and would like to balance your stats, you obviously need to turn it into the 16 16 12 one so you get balanced bonuses.
    end game you get a potential 26 19 15 or 25 20 15, on the balanced stats you get 22 24 14 that extra 3%/2% from the secondary stat that you want is not something that you can ignore, no matter how small, it helps you optimize your build.

Again, I really don't get it- can't they just include this feature when using the respec token. You change your whole setup but you are still stuck with the same base stats? How is that "retraining"? It feels like part of your toon is still stuck on your previous build.

Now here's the question, is this something that they are working on currently or something that they plan to sell as a different item shop thing in the future?

Your thoughts? I hope the devs read this.

Nope, D&D rule can't change ability score. Move on.
  • sydanyosydanyo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    biobrain wrote: »

There are plenty of ways for permanently changing ability scores in D&D. There are of course the tomes, which grant you an inherent bonus of +1 to +5, there's ability drain which permanently reduces an ability score, and then there's of course Wish, which basically can allow you to do pretty much anything, including altering your ability scores.

Of course the rules governing all of this have changed throughout the years, but the point still stands.
  • penpenstarpenpenstar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont mind paying for such an item

biobrain i played neverwinter nights, when you mouse over a stat, it tells u what it does (ex. intelligence for proper communication with other people etc etc). Basically there, the game allows you to role play completely into your character, it's a single player game for god's sake, who cares if you want to play as a sweet talker? There you will not meet other people with optimized builds (like in this MMO) that will stomp your face hard for rolling a very trivial pure role-playing build. This game is different, it's an MMO, altho it still is still an RPG it is also completely governed by numbers and % of your abilities/stats (and the way you have perfected your build allows you do have distinct combat advatanges vs. other players). What I hate about the ability scoring page furthermore, is that it doesnt tell what bonuses you get from each ability, it only basically provides you with a encyclopedic/generic description of the word much like in single player D&D games lol! It's misleading. Especially affecting characters that are rely strongly on their stats to maximize their roles (like clerics and thieves).

as i've said they already put up a respec facility which means they support character and build development that are being contributed by the community, we are the ones experimenting on builds, we deserve to have decent, working resets.
  • palelonginuspalelonginus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    biobrain wrote: »

And in D&D Wisdom actually is a good stat for clerics...
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Zen Respec = full attributes, power & feat respec
    Founders' Pack Respec = Power respec ONLY
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • synozeersynozeer Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Put me down on the list for wanting ability score rerolls for respecs - there's no reason that shouldn't be allowed. I'm also for race change too, but that could be for a 'reincarnation' token that costs more.
    Guild: Chocolate Stand | Main: Hzarn (GF)/Danteel (HR) | Watch PvP Videos
  • bostishbostish Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Three things to consider:

1) We can already respec powers and level up attribute points. The respec token costs $6 and does not mention that the initial attributes are not affected by it. I respect not wanting it in the game, but it is already there, just incomplete.

2) The problem with the Cleric is that Wisdom is advertised as the main stat, but is in fact worse than the secondary stats. The information the game provided at character creation is incorrect from an end game perspective. It is misleading.

3) Rerolling is not always a viable option, e.g. someone may have spent money on a character in form of bank slots, character bound bags, single-character companions and mounts, companion slot unlocks, and so on.

I would be willing to pay for being able to change the initial stats of my Cleric. Or for a race change.

I hope your kidding. I didn't look in the cleric forums at all when I first made my character, just took for granted (even without the tooltip) that Wisdom would be a primary stat. That's just from when I played D&D as a child when Gary Gygax was still hoping and popping.

If this is true, then the game is out of alignment and needs to be corrected. Charisma is an important stat to the game. However, Wisdom is the one which is and always should be the main stat to have. Maybe they need to move some of those things which make Charisma good under Wisdom to balance it.
    edited May 2013
    ^
    ya he's telling the truth i rerolled my DC bec of that

now im running with a tiefling cleric (weird yes, so i just made a cool BG story) XD

16 wis 16 cha base then +2 cha +2 int from tiefling race gives me around 35 or 37% skill recovery (that much less CD on skills) @lvl 1, so good. Hard to pass that up. A bit (focus on a bit) less healing (healing values are already small to start with). So might as well focus on reducing the cooldown to allow you to spam them faster.

good thing my DC isnt at the higher lvls yet so i didnt pretty much care deleting it, but what about the lvl 60 DC people who just realized this? It's kinda hard to force them to either delete it (with all the ADs and unique items they have already amassed) or to learn to live with it (greatly impacts effectiveness of the build). Respec option is already there, just optimize it by including the reset of ability rolls.
  • beldukilbeldukil Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    I completely agree
  • lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Any chance we can get a PW reply in this thread?
    edited May 2013
    hoping for that also, maybe if we make enough noise, and keep this on the first page and on top :D
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    jetah wrote: »
    Zen Respec = full attributes, power & feat respec
    Founders' Pack Respec = Power respec ONLY

There is no difference. I had two respec tokens from the founder packs and they worked exactly like the Zen store respec tokens. Both allow a full respec, excluding the starting stats chosen during character creation. (I bought two tokens in addition to the two I had. It is the same thing.)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
    edited May 2013
    ^
    true i also have that obviously, altho I already got 1 from our pack O.O

also, maybe in the future they can make the ability part of the char selection screen even better by allowing us to allocate the point one by one thru a point buying system, in essence we can still get these stats that we can roll today, but there is also that option to put more points into secondaries and tertiary stats if they adapt this kind of a ability point allocation system. This will allow players to experiment with even more stat builds which is good for the community, esp those "role playing".
  • lupita170lupita170 Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Please add this, I really don't understand why this isn't already available at the zen store. Other games offer race changes, and it can't be that hard to let people re-roll ability scores as well.

Going to keep looking at this thread and bumping it until we get a PW response.
  • budushiebudushie Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yea race change etc would be great definately
    edited May 2013
    ^

i quite agree with the race change people in here also, although, that should be sold as a different item methinks. Because the race bonuses might also affect your new build
    edited May 2013
    ^

i quite agree with the race change people in here also, although, that should be sold as a different item methinks. Because the race bonuses might also affect your new build

Definitely. I honestly don't understand why it isn't already an option at the zen store. I could easily see people spending a lot of zen on something like this, they are really just missing out on easy money.
    edited May 2013
    not only easy money, the community will then have better options that would save time instead of outright deleting their toon.
  • archomentalarchomental Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    /signed. When I first made my toon on day 1, I knew little about the game. I rolled a halfing rogue,
    and attained level 60.

Im a heavy PvP and PvE, and I found out too late that the Halfling racials do not suite me at all. They
    are horrible.

Why would they pass up a chance to entice people to spend more money? I would.
  • faceplantmikefaceplantmike Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I feel if I am paying for a re-spec it should reset everything, this includes powers, feats, ability scores, and starting stats rolls. I personally got to level 60 and shortly figure out that I need to re-spec my character for epic healing. Little did I know that the re-spec token only did powers/paragon path and ability scores. I found out right after that I would have to drop 150k in AD to re-spec my feats :/

This 6 dollar token should be a complete re-spec, which includes stat rolls & feats.

I'm on-board with this and support this idea.
    edited May 2013
    I feel if I am paying for a re-spec it should reset everything, this includes powers, feats, ability scores, and starting stats rolls. I personally got to level 60 and shortly figure out that I need to re-spec my character for epic healing. Little did I know that the re-spec token only did powers/paragon path and ability scores. I found out right after that I would have to drop 150k in AD to re-spec my feats :/

This 6 dollar token should be a complete re-spec, which includes stat rolls & feats.

I'm on-board with this and support this idea.

The 6 dollar re-spec does respec your feats as well, you're misinformed. The Astral Diamonds option is there for people who only want to respec feats and not powers.

The issue in this thread is rerolling Race and initial Ability scores, both of which heavily impact end game performance. The option to do both of these things needs to be on the zen store, and it needs to be there yesterday.
    edited May 2013
    I agree, I also can't understand why they haven't included that in the current respec token. Or why they haven't made a change race item, those 2 factors also affect the final effectiveness of the new build you are planning to change into.

Really hoping for a dev response into our thread, It would really be good sharing our thoughts with them.
  • lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    uriziem wrote: »
    /signed for include all, race and ability score

Yeah especially since it costs 6 bucks.
    edited May 2013
    i personally would pay more for a total respec which includes race, then the current 6$ one just include ability scores
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    There is no difference. I had two respec tokens from the founder packs and they worked exactly like the Zen store respec tokens. Both allow a full respec, excluding the starting stats chosen during character creation. (I bought two tokens in addition to the two I had. It is the same thing.)

odd, a GF friend used the HotN respec and it only reset his powers, unless i'm mistaken on what he said in his anger. I havent used either of mine (HotN/GN) to find out.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
    edited May 2013
    jetah wrote: »
    odd, a GF friend used the HotN respec and it only reset his powers, unless i'm mistaken on what he said in his anger. I havent used either of mine (HotN/GN) to find out.

I already used mine, pretty sure it reset both :)

keep bumping/discussing/shouting out your issue!
    edited May 2013
    I already used mine, pretty sure it reset both :)

keep bumping/discussing/shouting out your issue!

can we please get a PW response on this? I really don't want to re-roll my toon, so if worse comes to worse, I'll probably just end up quitting if I'm not able to change race and re-roll initial ability scores.
    edited May 2013
    ^
    they're too busy with the current issue at hand XD
    edited May 2013
    ^
    they're too busy with the current issue at hand XD

Doesn't mean they should forget about this!
    edited May 2013
    well the AH issue is still up

but yes, in order to allow the players to completely reconfigure their characters they must allow us to reroll our ability scores and change races. I don't care if they include it in the current respec token or if they want to sell it as a different shop item. As long as we have those options I'm happy.
This discussion has been closed.