test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

$6 is nothing.

airsykoairsyko Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
As a frequent MMO hopper I was finding it odd that people were so upset over $6 resets. Almost every game that i've played that started f2p (not p2p transitions since they were developed with skill resets in-game) has had some pretty ridiculously priced resets.

Just to name a quick few:

Neverwinter - $6
Runes of Magic - $10
Dungeons & Dragons Online - $12
Phantasy Star Online 2(JP) - $13
Continent of the ninth seal(C9) - $20
Dragon Nest - $20

But there are many more lesser known games that charge similar prices as these. I don't remember a single game with a price as low as this where you could also earn the currency through in-game means. I'm not saying this to justify NWO's pricing, but you guys are taking this way too seriously. NWO is being WAY more generous than almost every f2p game out there. Someone please name a game that started with resets in the cash shop that is cheaper than Neverwinter?

Not to mention you have to practically be trying to mess up your power points in this game.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thehadrielthehadriel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Congratulations on naming pay-to-win games.
  • Options
    hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or you could pay $15/month and get unlimited respecs on (almost) unlimited characters with in-game currency in a nameless subscription title.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    thehadriel wrote: »

Name an f2p game with cheaper resets then. One that wasn't p2p then switched.
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or you could pay $15/month and get unlimited respecs on (almost) unlimited characters with in-game currency in a nameless subscription title.

$15 adds up though. As opposed to F2P where you spend only how much you want to play as long as you want (until the servers close).
  • Options
    edited May 2013

There's less than 5 p2p games right now. They are surviving on old fanbases. They aren't relevant to the discussion.
  • Options
    nymesis92nymesis92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    thehadriel wrote: »

10/10. LOL'd so hard.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    nymesis92 wrote: »
    10/10. LOL'd so hard.

He did nothing but prove my point though. I didn't say the games weren't p2w. NWO isn't compared to these games is my point.
  • Options
    mal3fact0rmal3fact0r Member Posts: 83
    edited May 2013
    You're right, $6 is nothing, it's the principle of charging anything for an MMO staple such as respecs that is the problem.
  • Options
    hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    $15 adds up though. As opposed to F2P where you spend only how much you want to play as long as you want (until the servers close).
    Sometimes it's not a matter of want, but need if you make a poor decision and need to pay $6 to undo it to continue playing. If you have 3 characters and respec them all once as you learn what works and what doesn't, that's $18 that you're paying. Besides that, you don't need to keep paying for a subscription game, you just won't have access if you let it lapse.
    airsyko wrote: »
    There's less than 5 p2p games right now. They are surviving on old fanbases. They aren't relevant to the discussion.
    I'll put it this way; just because Neverwinter's the lowest, that does not mean that it is okay. Respecs should be free until such a time as the abilities are all balanced. Some are incredibly underpowered and short of trawling through the forums to find scraps of information, you'll likely end up paying for a respec sooner or later.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • Options
    streelydanstreelydan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree.

I've only spent a few days with the game, But I dont find the microtransaction stuff to be particularly annoying. I mean a WOW subscription is what, $180 a year?

People bellyaching about 6 bucks to respec in a f2p game shows an irritatingly high level of entitlement. The developer spent so much time making this game and they should be rewarded for it. I bought some zen, not for any specific reason, just to have some and to support the game devs.

If you don't like the game, go play WOW or rift or whatever. If you do like the game, open up your wallet a little and shut your mouth
  • Options
    trylleskoventrylleskoven Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a frequent MMO hopper I was finding it odd that people were so upset over $6 resets. Almost every game that i've played that started f2p (not p2p transitions since they were developed with skill resets in-game) has had some pretty ridiculously priced resets.

Just to name a quick few:

Neverwinter - $6
    Runes of Magic - $10
    Phantasy Star Online 2(JP) - $13
    Continent of the ninth seal(C9) - $20
    Dragon Nest - $20

But there are many more lesser known games that charge similar prices as these. I don't remember a single game with a price as low as this where you could also earn the currency through in-game means. I'm not saying this to justify NWO's pricing, but you guys are taking this way too seriously. NWO is being WAY more generous than almost every f2p game out there. Someone please name a game that started with resets in the cash shop that is cheaper than Neverwinter?

Not to mention you have to practically be trying to mess up your power points in this game.

Your right :), Now name one of them with a playerbase bigger then 1.000.000 ? Ahh none of them, wonder why.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mal3fact0r wrote: »
    You're right, $6 is nothing, it's the principle of charging anything for an MMO staple such as respecs that is the problem.

Cash Shop respecs are staples in these f2p games though. I've just gotten used to them being there and plan ahead. They've provided you with the game for free already, theory crafting and trying other things is a privilege they want you to pay for. While I may not like that reality, I've come to accept it; the game has to survive somehow.
  • Options
    druga1757druga1757 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    Send me the $6, or zen, or respec token, then, since it's nothing to you.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    druga1757 wrote: »
    Send me the $6, or zen, or respec token, then, since it's nothing to you.

That's not even the point.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Globally all of those games have over 1 million players(except maybe NWO since it's new and maybe c9)..which is why I listed them.
    But how many of those are happy players? :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nymesis92nymesis92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    streelydan wrote: »
    I agree.

I've only spent a few days with the game, But I dont find the microtransaction stuff to be particularly annoying. I mean a WOW subscription is what, $180 a year?

People bellyaching about 6 bucks to respec in a f2p game shows an irritatingly high level of entitlement. The developer spent so much time making this game and they should be rewarded for it. I bought some zen, not for any specific reason, just to have some and to support the game devs.

If you don't like the game, go play WOW or rift or whatever. If you do like the game, open up your wallet a little and shut your mouth

How much commission they paying you for post like this?
  • Options
    druga1757druga1757 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    That's not even the point.
    Sure it is, it's obviously something, not nothing, since you aren't willing to give out respecs.
  • Options
    ultraxanatovultraxanatov Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It could have been okay if the game was finished, somewhat balanced, and without too many bugs (I'm talking about the powers there). But right now the game is in a (technically-not-so) beta state, where you are expected to test things, balance stuff, and fix issues, and they're charging you for doing that, that's the main problem IMO.

"Oh you found a power that doesn't work as intended ? Np, just send a ticket and give us 10$ while we add some new stuff in the cash shop."
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    druga1757 wrote: »
    Sure it is, it's obviously something, not nothing, since you aren't willing to give out respecs.

My point was it's nothing compared to what other games charge you, not that it's a trivial price for the consumer. Did you even read the first post?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Cash Shop respecs are staples in these f2p games though. I've just gotten used to them being there and plan ahead. They've provided you with the game for free already, theory crafting and trying other things is a privilege they want you to pay for. While I may not like that reality, I've come to accept it; the game has to survive somehow.

It's been proven that games can not only survive, but thrive on selling purely cosmetic items. I assure you, especially with the cash shop prices, they will do more than fine without charging for respecs.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    How much commission they paying you for post like this?

I don't need a commission, I have a day job like a normal adult
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    streelydan wrote: »
    I don't need a commission, I have a day job like a normal adult

Obviously you did not get the joke........lol.
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's been proven that games can not only survive, but thrive on selling purely cosmetic items. I assure you, especially with the cash shop prices, they will do more than fine without charging for respecs.

That makes no difference, if selling more than cosmetics will earn them more money. No, Valve doesn't count, since it's not public listed.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

There isn't a single game that began f2p that only sells cosmetic items. Where has this been proven? Cosmetic only cash shops are a myth. There's always some "convenience" items thrown into the mix in a game that has only had f2p micro-transactions from the start.
  • Options
    pwiratgirlpwiratgirl Member Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Just to correct this one ... DDO does not charge $12 for a respec. First off, every character gets a respec (called a "lesser reincarnation" in DDO) for free. This allows you to change everything about the character except your name, your race, and the classes you chose at whatever levels (for instance, if you were a 10 fighter / 2 rogue, you'd still be 10/2 after the respec), but it does allow you to change your alignment, your starting stats, feats, stat increases for levels, spell choices, and skills. Essentially you "re-level" the character, picking what you wish to allocate per level.

If you wish to purchase a second (or third, or fourth, etc) one it'll cost you about $10 worth of turbine points ($8 will get you 600, $20 will get you 1600, excluding sales and/or bonus TP events, with the basic lesser reincarnation costing 895 turbine points). You can buy more potent reincarnations that will increase your base stat point pool by 4 (32pt build rather than 28), allow you to change your class layout, etc, but they cost more.

Additionally, enhancements (which are akin to "feats" in neverwinter) can be respecced once every 3 days, for some platinum -- typically a pittance compared to what the average character has. Compare that to respeccing feats in neverwinter, which can cost tens of thousands of astral diamonds, even for a character in the 30's. On top of that, there's an npc that you can talk to to swap out a feat for some platinum and dragonshards (you find tons of them in-game, and can purchase them off the auction house for platinum). You can do this as often as you can afford it.

So saying that DDO "charges $12 for a respec" is misleading at best, flat out wrong at worst.

What most people find egregious is that Cryptic doesn't give people "once per character" free respec, like many games do. Something that allows a new player to realize that they've goofed up their character a bit, and rebuild it once they know more about the game. In neverwinter, if you make a mistake, you're out $6 if you want to fix it.

And what happens when they tweak/nerf/buff powers? Will they offer free respecs to allow people to adjust their builds based on the new setup? When they add more paragon paths, will they give people free respecs to allow them to change if they want to?

No one knows yet, but there's a lurking suspicion that they won't, and that idea rankles a lot of people too.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    My point was it's nothing compared to what other games charge you, not that it's a trivial price for the consumer. Did you even read the first post?
    And there are some games that don't charge you for a respec at all. If you come from one of those games, of course paying for a respec will be outrageous. If you've never played a free-to-play game before, and are used to free respecs in rpg's/mmo's, of course paying for a respec will be outrageous.

Respecs are the norm for any rpg, especially a NEW one where everyone is learning the game and class for the first time. There's limited character slots, so you can't try out multiple builds of the same class - you either have to delete and re-roll, or respec. All the Paragon's aren't out yet, right? So, what, delete your level 60 so you can try the same class again when the new Paragon is released? Respecs are required, I think it should be an ingame function, with the OPTION to pay for it if you don't want to jump through ingame hoops to do it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Obviously you did not get the joke........lol.

Nah dude I got it, it was just dumb.

Just because I have something positive to say I must be paid by PW? Jesus, what a childish worldview.

My point was that I like this game, and I pay for products that I use and like
  • Options
    plugarulplugarul Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2013
    It could have been okay if the game was finished, somewhat balanced, and without too many bugs (I'm talking about the powers there). But right now the game is in a (technically-not-so) beta state, where you are expected to test things, balance stuff, and fix issues, and they're charging you for doing that, that's the main problem IMO.

"Oh you found a power that doesn't work as intended ? Np, just send a ticket and give us 10$ while we add some new stuff in the cash shop."
    True, i have to pay to test the game :)))
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    That makes no difference, if selling more than cosmetics will earn them more money. No, Valve doesn't count, since it's not public listed.

Why should you or I care if it earns them more money? They aren't my friends, I owe them nothing. It's their job to create something that we find enjoyable and price it so that we feel its reasonable value.

The success of valves hats do count, success is success.

And before some genius pipes in with a brilliant statement like "get a job" or "you just want everything free" I have one thanks, and can afford anything I want in the store many times over, I just don't find the prices reasonable. Even if I were a billionaire I wouldn't, overpriced is overpriced. If they were more reasonable then I would gladly spend money and not think twice about it.
  • Options
    valvexenvalvexen Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    There scam is they try to front load as much money as they can out of you in the beginning, like the founders $200 pack, and all the other **** they come up with, games like wow might cost you $180 a year, but thats a month by month basis of $15 bucks, you might quit after only 4 months and that would of cost you $60, now PWE wants you to spend as much as you can in the beginning on stuff like bags, respecs, basic stuff.

You could easyily spend hundreds of dollars the first month in this game, and then if you decide the game sucks, or there is just to many exploits and other problems, you are out a lot of money upfront, in a short amount of time, and the direction this game seems to be going, i think there is gonna be a lot more pissed off people.