Options

$6 is nothing.

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    s3pts3pt Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    aislingi wrote: »
    That is the twisted mind of the fanboy. I can understand if someone simply doesn't care. But to actively work against one's own best interests by defending said practices and attempting to shut down all opposition. I wonder what goes through the head of someone like that.

These people have an unhealthy, misplaced affection for a company who answers to stockholders, who don't care one iota about the OP and people like them.

It's gotten to the point where companies don't even have to show up to defend themselves because the player base is divided between savvy consumers, and ignorant people who would rather defend a company they like no matter what, they actually think about what they are fighting against.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sYp-eggD1Q

Exactly, it would be comical if it wasn't so sad and it's because of these rabid fanboys that the genre is where it is today, and why publishers keep monetizing more and more. As long as the lemmings unquestioningly accept and pay, and attack anyone who speaks out against it, it won't change and our MMO genre will continue going downhill.
  • Options
    spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    I do agree that the monetization could've been done a lot better, but I'm a programmer, not a market analyst. I'd note that P2W (which is an entirely different type of monetization from this instance) actually helps to mitigate the effects of the high zen cost, because it makes the option of farming for AD for respec more plausible. Regardless, yes, too expensive, and not suitable for this sort of IP.

You can't really argue against the monetization at all can ya? that's not a gloat or putting you down by the way, that's a sad recognition of it in truth. I mean you and I aren't highly drugged chimpanzee's either, but it's pretty obvious to even the aforementioned chimp that LoL doesn't gouge like a lot of these MMO's do, and it's printing cash to wipe it's rear with, it has it's share of whiners about class balances and that, but rarely if ever will you see a complaint about their cash shop, it's like...never a problem, and for all those that claim the forum is the place for the "few" to complain about things their "minority" want to "whinge" about... What does it say when their forum doesn't even HAVE anywhere NEAR the level of complaints about monetization. Folks just can't really fault them in that regard than as much as in this game.

Also, if you believe in the merits of a high zen cost making incessant grinding more attractive, well... I can't take that from you, but I would suggest you try and think about that for a bit. It was always my personal belief that in good game design, grinding, was something that shouldn't FEEL like grinding, not something you do ad tedium to avoid having to fork over large amounts of money.

I understand that it's not really your area of expertise, but if you walk into the gaming industry for example, as a developer or publisher and immediately disregard the notion of a game being about enjoying the game for it's thematic content and gameplay and instead make decisions based on how you have your players pay up or grind ad tedium, well I can't argue from a business point of view that you're wrong. But I can say you're probably going detract from the "game" part of your....erm.....game....
    shahualing wrote: »
    Thank you for this post.

You are more than welcome, but there's no need to thank me, most of the time I'm probably more of a hinderance to discussions about these things than a help, due to understanding the issue all too well, seeing the problems and how it's really just an inability to adapt monetization practices, and then losing all will to really think before I type what has to be well over my two hundreth post on the matter, on yet another F2P game....about.....same......thing.....brain.................shutting......

As I said it's tiring facing down the SAME bad logic, and it's why I bring up those that CAN make some compelling arguments, they're so rare but it's good that they can sometimes help me to stop going overboard with the critique, sometimes you DO have to overlook the ugly flaws to see the good and accept them, Blood Omen/Soul Reaver being older titles were **** ugly graphically and heck the latter was not even a finished game... yet their voice acting, pacing and story where just....breathtaking and they ONLY GOT BETTER. I would NEVER defend them based on those merits though so you can in some way see why some folks defend this game only based on it's merits to them. Sadly when it comes to monetization, I can't see why they would then defend this game knowing it could be better for the game company as well as it's players.