test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

$6 is nothing.

Comments

• Options
    druga1757druga1757 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    Planetside: FPS
    Second Life: Social
    SD Gundam Capsule Fighter: TPS
    Fifa Online: Sports
    Audition: Dancing
    Gunbound: Artillery-type strategy
    World of Tanks: Tanks
    so in none of those games, there's rpg elements? I know for a fact plantside had classes and you could level them? Second Life is social, but it's all about role play, please. Never even heard about the other games.
  • Options
    oreoz2573oreoz2573 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    respecs are something players want to do and often.

Spec for PvE
    Spec for PvP
    To try something new..
    For a particular boss.......

It ALL adds up.

It may be cheap if you do it once but noone ever just does it once. cmon now.

That's money cryptic does NOT need from us.

You MUST know this.

Use your head.

And yes, the very principle of the matter is at stake as well. This is a stupid way to take money. Sure you can earn the funds in-game but by the time you do (and it honestly doesn't take too long, but long enough) you won't want to anymore.

Paying for a respec if friggin stupid.
    "If you're going through Hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    druga1757 wrote: »
    so in none of those games, there's rpg elements? I know for a fact plantside had classes and you could level them? Second Life is social, but it's all about role play, please. Never even heard about the other games.

Unless there is no way to communicate with another player, you can "role play" with any other player in any MMO. Thereby making "role play" a nearly useless term. Admittedly, the same can be said for social, but in general, social has always been used to refer to games where being social plays an important part of interaction, not just a random minor aspect.

Admittedly most MMOs have RPG elements in some form or another. This however doesn't mean that they must have it, only that it's easy to develop progression and player immersion with such elements.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    oreoz2573 wrote: »
    That's money cryptic does NOT need from us.
    Company directives triumph player opinions. Being a public listed company, they are obliged to sell things for as much as the market would support for maximum profitability.

Separately, being able to buy a "secondary spec" which you can switch with would be nice.
  • Options
    cocksworthcocksworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Getting your thumbs broken by Tony the loan shark is nothing, Vinny breaks both your knees.

Sound logic.
  • Options
    gingervitosgingervitos Member Posts: 275 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    airsyko wrote: »
    As a frequent MMO hopper I was finding it odd that people were so upset over $6 resets. Almost every game that i've played that started f2p (not p2p transitions since they were developed with skill resets in-game) has had some pretty ridiculously priced resets.

Just to name a quick few:

Neverwinter - $6
    Runes of Magic - $10
    Dungeons & Dragons Online - $12
    Phantasy Star Online 2(JP) - $13
    Continent of the ninth seal(C9) - $20
    Dragon Nest - $20

But there are many more lesser known games that charge similar prices as these. I don't remember a single game with a price as low as this where you could also earn the currency through in-game means. I'm not saying this to justify NWO's pricing, but you guys are taking this way too seriously. NWO is being WAY more generous than almost every f2p game out there. Someone please name a game that started with resets in the cash shop that is cheaper than Neverwinter?

Not to mention you have to practically be trying to mess up your power points in this game.

Good sir $6 is not nothing back in my day it could buy you a small dwelling, half a horse and a small orphan called Dave!

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • Options
    shadok92shadok92 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In GW2 it costs like 15 silver to reset your traits, which you can earn in about 3 minutes. In GW1 it was free, and you didn't even need to go to a vendor to do it. But yea, Neverwinter is generous in the way it gives us the low price of $6 for respecs at launch- oh wait, open beta (lol). It's not like there are still bugged/broken traits that are useless if you put points into them. Or powers and traits with descriptions so vague that you have no clue if they're any good at all until you put points into them and try them out. Or an aggro system that makes it impossible to tank if you were foolish enough to actually trait your GF with tanking traits rather than DPS traits. I'm very grateful that it only took $6 for a respec and a 12K gear score before my Guardian Fighter was capable of holding aggro though, seriously. Thank you for being so generous!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    shadok92 wrote: »
    In GW2 it costs like 15 silver to reset your traits, which you can earn in about 3 minutes. In GW1 it was free, and you didn't even need to go to a vendor to do it. But yea, Neverwinter is generous in the way it gives us the low price of $6 for respecs at launch- oh wait, open beta (lol). It's not like there are still bugged/broken traits that are useless if you put points into them. Or powers and traits with descriptions so vague that you have no clue if they're any good at all until you put points into them and try them out. Or an aggro system that makes it impossible to tank if you were foolish enough to actually trait your GF with tanking traits rather than DPS traits. I'm very grateful that it only took $6 for a respec and a 12K gear score before my Guardian Fighter was capable of holding aggro though, seriously. Thank you for being so generous!

GW2 is also not F2P, and neither is GW1.
  • Options
    vaeledrinvaeledrin Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Trololol LEAGUE OF LEGENDS YOU CAN RESPEC FOR FREE!!!11
  • Options
    jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Closed Beta the respec was 500z (5$).
    Open Beta is now 600z (6$).

Why the increase in the cost after the countless number of threads in the beta forums about the cost?

Zen Respec Token is a full reset of your Attributes, Feats, Powers.
    You can respec your Feats with AD (151k at Lv60).
    I'm not 100% sure the Power respec is with AD but I'll assume so until I use my 2 from the Founders' Packs.
    HotN/Guardian Respec Token is JUST the Powers. Not the Zen Store Full Respec--which sucks, btw.

Cost aside what I hate about this respec is that if any Feat is broken, you will not know it until it's too late. There are at least 10 Feats currently broken with the Guardian Fighter. I can't say how many are broken with other class but I'll assume all the Rogue Feats' are working.

I don't know how much change is require by Cryptic in a Feat/Power to warrant a 'free respec'. What if the next patch breaks a Power or a few for a certain class or every class. Is it enough to warranted a free respec until it can be fixed?

RPG is simply the aspect of portraying a character.
    MMO is any game that is online with many people playing it.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Member Posts: 6,694 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Because you can't buy 600 Zens...
    You have to buy 1000 Zens...
    :confused:
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    debarsdebars Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    6$ is nothing when the game works perfectly and they dont try and call it a beta.
  • Options
    spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxZ3O9kMEj-rVu4MN625qcoSEyUecUdoSxRSNDZ8vOUD9tO5uA

6>0

0= Nothing

1= Something

Therefore, 6 =/= something
  • Options
    dacovedacove Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you could reliably pay just 6$ for a one time respec, and everything you wanted/speced into worked right, then np. However, there is 0 way to test if powers/feats are working correctly unless you have speced into them. Then if you find out they aren't, either you can pay again or hope for a fix. Yes you can reset just feats with AD, however I view AD as an extension of Zen, 151k AD atm is basically same as 400+ zen. With the bugs/glitches in feats atm that price of 6$ could increase drastically per respec if you wanted a fully working spec. Not to mention if they ever decide to change things up, or actually fix the problems.
  • Options
    swoomustdienowswoomustdienow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    What gets me is the pricing, not actually having to pay a price to do so. You would think that if they cut the cost of some items - like the respec - they would make more money overall from having more clients willing to make a purchase. At (I dunno, spitballing) 2.50 a pop I'd probably buy one for myself and my four friends grouping with me so when we hit 60 we can all respec now that we fully understand the game and classes. At 6.00, I'll just use AD.

Same for pets, mounts, and pretty much everything else in the Zen store. I'm not hurting for money, but I'm not making a stupid purchase just because it's available and 'I can'. Better prices and I'd have no problem giving them what would probably equal out to a subscription fee for additional content.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    For 6 USD I can buy a bunch of Humble Bundle Indie games or games on sale on Steam and never play them but you know what? I won't feel ripped off even though I'll never play them.

"Hmm, maybe one day when I am bored I'll play this. Sure, I'll buy it!" That day never comes. =( I essentially threw away my money given my own personality. But at least I felt good about it.

I can't really say that about Neverwinter.
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or you could pay $15/month and get unlimited respecs on (almost) unlimited characters with in-game currency in a nameless subscription title.

Don't forget 20 upfront for the basic game, then 40 bucks for each expansion... Oh wait, that's 140 $ + 15 $ /month. So much worth than a 6 $ Power respec (because feats cost AD) that you'll probably use only once!
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    vaeledrin wrote: »
    For 6 USD I can buy a bunch of Humble Bundle Indie games or games on sale on Steam and never play them but you know what? I won't feel ripped off even though I'll never play them.

"Hmm, maybe one day when I am bored I'll play this. Sure, I'll buy it!" That day never comes. =( I essentially threw away my money given my own personality. But at least I felt good about it.

Eh, I feel like I've already gotten my money's worth with my $60 founder's pack. Maybe I'm just easy to please.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »
    Don't forget 20 upfront for the basic game, then 40 bucks for each expansion... Oh wait, that's 140 $ + 15 $ /month. So much worth than a 6 $ Power respec (because feats cost AD) that you'll probably use only once!
    Not all sub games have an upfront cost. :p (e.g. SOE All Access subscription)
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

That means you're a consumer by impulse, and so you're not entitled to talk about rip-offs... Honestly, most of the games on Steam are bad or worse, abandonware that they have the nerve to "sell" in packs. Abandonware is free, by the way. They shouldn't charge it.
    Characters:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    That means you're a consumer by impulse, and so you're not entitled to talk about rip-offs... Honestly, most of the games on Steam are bad or worse, abandonware that they have the nerve to "sell" in packs. Abandonware is free, by the way. They shouldn't charge it.

Maybe, but the humble bundle generally have some quality to them. Just stay away from junk like WarZ. :p
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    Maybe, but the humble bundle generally have some quality to them. Just stay away from junk like WarZ. :p

But still, purchasing something of good quality and never putting into use has the same effect as burning your money and flushing it through the toilet. :P
    Characters:

• Options
    edited May 2013

I am pretty sure Red Orchestra 2 isn't abandonware... nor is Majesty for that matter or Civilization or ... etc.

But it's interesting that you say I am not entitled to talk about rip-offs because somehow consuming by impulse invalidates any opinion I might have about what is valuable and what is not. That's pretty much the equivalent of me saying that you aren't human because you don't have any impulses - good for you I suppose this is the age of the Master Race of steppenkat. I look forward to serving you in the 4th Reich... but honestly. The rich and the poor both make impulse purchases , it should be a hint that making impulse purchases does not prevent a person from analyzing what is a rip-off and what isn't. I know very well that I am essentially wasting money until that 1% event unfolds.

You're really missing the point and that is a game that has a cash shop should make you feel at home so you are more likely to purchase the things that you normally wouldn't. Rip-off or not, and I hear a bear knocking around trash cans outside, if the cash shop is sufficiently friendly we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    But still, purchasing something of good quality and never putting into use has the same effect as burning your money and flushing it through the toilet. :P

Eh, I'll play those games... eventually...
  • Options
    pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    $6 is nothing, of course. Depends upon perspective I suppose. $1000 is nothing if you take that attitude. It's nothing to me. I can spend that in a weekend at a racetrack in tyres alone.
    The point is consider the casual player with 2 characters who has no idea how to spec. They learn, and want to respec. bang $12. That's a chunk of change for a kid's pocket money and even more than a few Starbuck's coffees ( I have no idea, i'm a Brit ).
    Think about players like me with 6 characters and still no idea how to spec them? It adds up.

First respect ought to be free in any game, because everyone screws up before they understand the mechanics. All respecs should be free in a beta test.
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I am pretty sure Red Orchestra 2 isn't abandonware... nor is Majesty for that matter or Civilization or ... etc.

But it's interesting that you say I am not entitled to talk about rip-offs because somehow consuming by impulse invalidates any opinion I might have about what is valuable and what is not. That's pretty much the equivalent of me saying that you aren't human because you don't have any impulses - good for you I suppose this is the age of the Master Race of steppenkat. I look forward to serving you in the 4th Reich... but honestly.

You're really missing the point and that is a game that has a cash shop should make you feel at home so you are more likely to purchase the things that you normally wouldn't. Rip-off or not, and I hear a bear knocking around trash cans outside, if the cash shop is sufficiently friendly we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

Actually we wouldn't, because it's within human nature to disagree about prices. The things that have value to you don't necesarily have the same value to me = price isn't the same thing as value.

Something very cheap, of good quality but you will never put into use has 0 value.

Something valuable can also be expensive. It depends on HOW MUCH valuable it is to you what determines the purchase. For many, 200 zen for a 4 dye single use pack is too much. For me, it's change honestly, as I give A LOT of value to cosmetics.

And please, let's not start with the ad hitlerum arguments or it'll be Godwin's Law again. I'm just trying to point you out that a single person can't say if a price is bad - Economy works in a broader spectrum. If people think prices are too much, they'll go lower or PWE will simply go out of business (and some have actually decreased).
    Characters:

• Options
    isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

If you do both pvp and pve the sky is the limit really. I switch specs every single time I do pvp or pve in WoW and that's just for one spec. What I mean is something like paragon paths because combine that with feats you can make distinct pvp and pve specs because for example threat talents are useless in pvp. But I've also tried every spec in WoW just because I like trying out new things and since there are 3 specs per class (possibly going to be similar in NW), that's at least 3 respecs eventually.

How do you not see it this way? At the very least wouldn't you be interested in trying out different paragon paths?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    $6 is nothing, of course. Depends upon perspective I suppose. $1000 is nothing if you take that attitude. It's nothing to me. I can spend that in a weekend at a racetrack in tyres alone.
    The point is consider the casual player with 2 characters who has no idea how to spec. They learn, and want to respec. bang $12. That's a chunk of change for a kid's pocket money and even more than a few Starbuck's coffees ( I have no idea, i'm a Brit ).
    Think about players like me with 6 characters and still no idea how to spec them? It adds up.

First respect ought to be free in any game, because everyone screws up before they understand the mechanics. All respecs should be free in a beta test.

Actually the only important respect (Feats) is free as it's payed with AD. Powers don't matter as much as you usually have spare points and you're forced to pick things that you will never use. At least in my opinion... I find it really hard that as a GWF you'll miss the 3 points in Slam or a TR his Lashing Blade.
    Characters:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    isopoint wrote: »
    If you do both pvp and pve the sky is the limit really. I switch specs every single time I do pvp or pve in WoW and that's just for one spec. What I mean is something like paragon paths because combine that with feats you can make distinct pvp and pve specs because for example threat talents are useless in pvp. But I've also tried every spec in WoW just because I like trying out new things and since there are 3 specs per class (possibly going to be similar in NW), that's at least 3 respecs eventually.

How do you not see it this way? At the very least wouldn't you be interested in trying out different paragon paths?

I usually have a set idea for my character. If I play a Swordmaster, she won't forget tomorrow what she learned and suddenly become a, let's say, Frenzied Berseker. Unless the new Paragon path or Power selection match a lot more my original concept - then I'll probably switch.

But I can see where you're going. Of course I think respecs should be cheaper once new Paragons are introduced... But let's say 200 Zen, which is frankly not much, and right now I don't think we have enough options to consider a respec token a worthwhile purchase.
    Characters:

• Options
    pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually the only important respect (Feats) is free as it's payed with AD. Powers don't matter as much as you usually have spare points and you're forced to pick things that you will never use. At least in my opinion... I find it really hard that as a GWF you'll miss the 3 points in Slam or a TR his Lashing Blade.

Quite possibly. But the point is about charging people $6 for a respec. That's mercenary for a game in "open beta"
    fs_lastplayed.png