test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Beta Anxiety Thread! (Read OP for Beta Info!)

Comments

• lorddekar82lorddekar82 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well just wanted to announce that TESO started to take Beta Apps on 1/22......Was just wondering if that game will end up releasing before this game and if that does happen gotta believe will have an impact on the release of this game.
  • h3avym3tal1h3avym3tal1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Say, I've registered a key from E3 last june. Is that code part of the closed or open beta?

Edit:
    Just to clarify, I've registered the code last year after E3.
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    What is your naughty drow avatar holding in hand? A whip?
    That would be an amateurishly done sparkling sword hold by an amateurishly done Spellblade.:o

(Not sure if valid to new forum regulations about pics but... Look behind you, a Three-Headed Monkey!)
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Say, I've registered a key from E3 last june. Is that code part of the closed or open beta?

Edit:
    Just to clarify, I've registered the code last year after E3.
    The Convention Keys are Closed Beta Keys, which hasn't begun yet.
  • h3avym3tal1h3avym3tal1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Cool, thanks for clarifying.
  • vyrznvyrzn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm very excited about this game. I'm especially anxious, waiting to see if I'm chosen for testing. Being a quadriplegic, I'm hoping Neverwinter has the availability that many other games do not. If not, I can suggest ways to make improvements that would allow people like myself to participate in this highly anticipated game.
  • neuroelfneuroelf Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i think the hype for this game is in decline due to ArcheAge and Elder Scrolls simply being.. lets admit it.. stronger than this game.
    and now that they released the "character customization" blog that basically says they totally vomit over and omit most D&D rules, that they spend a few minutes to produce that piece of text with no picture of character sheet nor any item pics with stats block or anything..
    its just "bland".
    looks cheap.
    overall, imo the marketing team is TERRIBLE and the designers/persons in charge don't know what d&d fanbase wants.

is it just my opinion ?
    well... i'm afraid not...
  • rahverahve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 35
    edited January 2013
    neuroelf wrote: »
    i think the hype for this game is in decline due to ArcheAge and Elder Scrolls simply being.. lets admit it.. stronger than this game.
    and now that they released the "character customization" blog that basically says they totally vomit over and omit most D&D rules, that they spend a few minutes to produce that piece of text with no picture of character sheet nor any item pics with stats block or anything..
    its just "bland".
    looks cheap.
    overall, imo the marketing team is TERRIBLE and the designers/persons in charge don't know what d&d fanbase wants.

is it just my opinion ?
    well... i'm afraid not...

I don't want to think all that negatively, but truth is that with Elder Scrolls Online and Archeage entering Beta soon, Neverwinter has lost a lot of leverage and has fallen well under the radar. Can't forget either that TERA is going free to play in a week or so and offers true action packed combat like Neverwinter does, but I daresay vastly superior both in visuals and character control (judging from the various videos we've seen of Neverwinter, which may not make it justice because of being in Alpha stage).

And then there is Pathfinder Online which seems to intend to remain loyal to the PnP side and using the older 3.5 ruleset, which for most people is a good thing. This will very likely drawn the interest of those who value that PnP factor, leaving Neverwinter a smaller niche to fill.

We'll see I guess, I do hope Neverwinter's release is incredibly good, because the competition is getting fierce.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

- W.E.H.
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Out of all these games, who's going to run out of new, playable content first? Games may look fantastic, but you can only run the same story 496 times before it gets too boring and grindy. I'm still putting my (metaphorical) money on the free game with potential endless content.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Pathfinder Online will take YEARS to finish making, even to the point of testing (and while I'm lurker there I am signed up.)

Elder scrolls is nowhere near beta as they JUST started releasing alpha shots. Nothing wrong with those two games, but it's not like they will be out next week or even in a few months either. Expect a high likelyhood of this game being out first.

Okay, back to your ranting all :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • agentbartonagentbarton Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    How about instead of giving keys away first off you give keys to people that deserver them like lifetime members to games such as sto etc , but no thats just to simple for you people.
  • xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    A bit aggressive man. I know its aggravating, but you have to be patient, or you'll drive your self mad.
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Lifetime subscribers to CO and STO will be in a phased closed beta. Why not read the stickies at the top that state that before you rage.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This belongs to beta key ranting thread :)

Nobody 'deserves' beta key any less or any more than others.
  • zeoxzzeoxz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    mayb cause beta has yet to start so...

and alpha testers are sworn to secrecy.

probably hear more of beta keys offers when beta date has been confirmed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    How about instead of giving keys away first off you give keys to people that deserver them like lifetime members to games such as sto etc , but no thats just to simple for you people.
    Lifetime Members of CO and STO are already entitled to CBT Keys and will get their keys on a Phased Access system once Beta begins. As of the time of this post, Closed Beta Testing has not yet begun, so there is no CB testing that anyone is missing out on. Please take some time to review my first post in this thread. Thanks!
  • catburger003catburger003 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Difference between alpha and beta?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want to HAMSTER in Neverwinter, whenever I want, for as long as I want.
  • rohk007rohk007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would be a prerelease pack like they are doing with Marvels Heroes online right now if we had one for neverwinter . I hope beta will be in the next couple of months, I am not playing anything right now cause it is not neverwinter....just reading Forgotten Realms books atm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Here you go.
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    For most people it seems to be a difference of how much extra time you get to play the game before its release.
    (Sadly) True Story
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Muzzrub has a great answer.

Alpha versions of games are very primitive and is where the majority of large changes to the core game will be applied. It's by no means an early release or preview.

Basically it's the initial stages of review to find as many bugs as possible and to do initial QA on created content. Often this is where the major changes to the UI or Game Mechanics will take place based on user feedback.
    Beta is where most polishing takes place. User interfaces become better quality, animations tweaked, and final smaller bugs discovered and addressed. The majority of mechanics are changed during the Alpha Stages while the Beta Stages consist of some final tweaks to various content. Developers will, by nature, find their machanics second nature since they actively designed them so it is important to bring in outside perspective to correct major issues with the mechanics before the Beta Phase.

I'm not saying the game will be "complete" by the Beta Stage but the core of the game mechanics will be considered complete by the end of the Alpha Stage.
    Bottom line, whether you find out about Alpha Tests or not they exist in every single computer software test and always involve outside testing to provide limited consumer feedback either in the form of Friends and Family or helpful testers from the past before products are opened to the general public.

Any claims to the contrary are...unknwoledgable at best.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Muzzrub's link was so useful in its simple English, I'd adding it to my private link lists for future reference! Thank you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Elder Scrolls Online did just put up Beta Signups and a well done cinematic. I dont know anything about ArcheAge. This game still has FAQs and everyone stating "Early 2013". I find it hard to believe this will be out before Summer. So its more like a Mid possibly late 2013. And if they are silently further along then what they we think then they need to overhaul the site, put more details on the Races, full Class list, ect.. Most games have this info long before even Beta is going.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • catburger003catburger003 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Thank you all of you guys for answering!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want to HAMSTER in Neverwinter, whenever I want, for as long as I want.
  • draelin1978draelin1978 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Starting to lose excitement for this game, I wish the beta would release so I can stop paying for SWTOR for this game. I also wish it would release so I can tell my guildmates if it is good or bad. A lot of them are excited for the game too.
  • mastrshadowmastrshadow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    Elder Scrolls Online did just put up Beta Signups and a well done cinematic. I dont know anything about ArcheAge. This game still has FAQs and everyone stating "Early 2013". I find it hard to believe this will be out before Summer. So its more like a Mid possibly late 2013. And if they are silently further along then what they we think then they need to overhaul the site, put more details on the Races, full Class list, ect.. Most games have this info long before even Beta is going.

And most games are over hyped and under deliver. I'd rather a company be tight lipped until they actually send out the first round of beta keys. In fact, I'd rather they keep the game a complete secret until the first round of beta keys goes out. Once the game is in the hands of the beta testers, then go wild with the info, the videos, the general marketing fluff. At least then it's safe to say it's accurate as to what is in the game... at least from a marketers point of view...
  • gmn17gmn17 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    heh that's funny
    5820305785.png:cool:
  • mandodo69mandodo69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 6
    edited January 2013
    hurry and announce beta already!!!!
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    And most games are over hyped and under deliver. I'd rather a company be tight lipped until they actually send out the first round of beta keys. In fact, I'd rather they keep the game a complete secret until the first round of beta keys goes out. Once the game is in the hands of the beta testers, then go wild with the info, the videos, the general marketing fluff. At least then it's safe to say it's accurate as to what is in the game... at least from a marketers point of view...

Companies need to market their product. ESO is doing a pretty good job, they talk about lore which is in response to the communities questions and actually ask their community, gave us some interviews about some of the game mechanics so people know what to expect, invited people in for some to play alpha and allowed then to talk (granted no screenies or vids). But no I disagree, if your completely silent until beta starts then you are just shooting yourself in the foot. ESO is doing the right PR work, Cryptic on the other hand is.... well not gonna beat a dead horse.

All games under deliver and this will be no exception. People are quick to blame a games lack to fulfillment of expectations with over hype, all it is is blaming a scapegoat instead of themselves for not seeing the deficiencies or just blindly buying the product based off a few trailers or demos. Give out lots of PR work I say and let the consumers decide whether to buy or not.

Even being tightlipped till beta doesn't reduce the "over hyping." GW2, Rift, and SWTOR are prime examples. People were bitching n moaning n complaining after the game launched when they beta tested and knew the issues beforehand.
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Starting to lose excitement for this game, I wish the beta would release so I can stop paying for SWTOR for this game. I also wish it would release so I can tell my guildmates if it is good or bad. A lot of them are excited for the game too.

Same boat, almost at the point of "call me when it launches." Feels like ESO will release before NW ever will, and who will start beta first will be a coin tosser it seems like. Both are claiming "soon" but we all know Cryptic's track record of "soon" is.
This discussion has been closed.