test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Beta Anxiety Thread! (Read OP for Beta Info!)

Comments

• Options
    necalannecalan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Two keys is a joke! Pathetic to even offer them. Only reason it was done in the first place was due to someone seeing the key giveaway on the French sites!!
  • Options
    fursnakefursnake Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 84
    edited January 2013
    I'm enjoying too many games (and other betas) right now to get beta anxiety, but I am a lot more interested in Neverwinter as of late. I think I will enjoy Nevrewinter a lot more than DDO back when DDO came out.
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I guess I don't understand how it all works then. Cryptic gave the alpha version away in foreign countries to do whatever they want with them, even if it breaks NDA? What stops the foreign versions from just setting a sooner release date (buggy or not)? From the sound of it, they countries don't work in correlation with each other while testing?

And from my experience, alpha is one of the last places I ever want to be again...... It's like another job, except it's not as fun and you don't get paid.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    necalan wrote: »
    Two keys is a joke! Pathetic to even offer them. Only reason it was done in the first place was due to someone seeing the key giveaway on the French sites!!
    As Ambi just posted, this was done to be fair. The foriegn sites needed some foriegn language testers, so they put out a facebook giveaway. To be fair, when CM Pin learned of this, he put this up out of the goodness of his being for the English Communities and then went a step further and made sure that future promotions and giveaways go through the NA Offices first so everyone is on the same page.

It is sad that they are getting flack for giving things away.
  • Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I guess I don't understand how it all works then. Cryptic gave the alpha version away in foreign countries to do whatever they want with them, even if it breaks NDA? What stops the foreign versions from just setting a sooner release date (buggy or not)? From the sound of it, they countries don't work in correlation with each other while testing?

And from my experience, alpha is one of the last places I ever want to be again...... It's like another job, except it's not as fun and you don't get paid.

I dont Alpha test for it to be fun, I alpha test to find bugs to make the game more enjoyable for others and myself when the game is finally released. Im wondering how many people would have signed up for his "contest" if only 2 people were only going to be selected.
  • Options
    bluesteel8bluesteel8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    "We have 2 Alpha keys" would have been more appropriate.

"If you're disappointed about not getting a key you have only yourself to blame. The chances were going to be slim from the start". This is not a fair statement at all at I'm quite shocked you even added this.
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    The Older Gamers (25+) - Never too old to play games
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    bluesteel8 wrote: »
    "We have 2 Alpha keys" would have been more appropriate.

"If you're disappointed about not getting a key you have only yourself to blame. The chances were going to be slim from the start". This is not a fair statement at all at I'm quite shocked you even added this.

I agree, its my own fault I added my name to a contest and didnt win because thats how randomly picked contests work. If you win then Yay but if you didnt then its your own fault for competing.
  • Options
    necalannecalan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I thought about it a bit more. Your company should have had the foresight to see that this sort of thing would bring masses of people here to enter. Over 3,000 to be exact! For what, 2 keys. It would have been better suited to just give 2 community members that have been contributors to the forums the keys. Instead, you draw up huge interest in a game that isn't even in beta, YET gives out masses of beta keys as far back as 7 months ago! Horrible planning on your end!

Btw.. I have tested closed/open alpha, beta,... 100's of games in my long life, and I have never seen such bad execution of giving away keys as this was!
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »
    I dont Alpha test for it to be fun, I alpha test to find bugs to make the game more enjoyable for others and myself when the game is finally released. Im wondering how many people would have signed up for his "contest" if only 2 people were only going to be selected.

Well, I can guarantee that you are one of the very few that signed up out of the pureness of your heart, because I've never heard or seen 98% of people that just flooded the forums just out of bribery from the alpha key thread. (Okay, maybe bribery isn't the right word.....)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Well, I can guarantee that you are one of the very few that signed up out of the pureness of your heart, because I've never heard or seen 98% of people that just flooded the forums just out of bribery from the alpha key thread.

Has nothing to do with the "pureness of my heart", but something I have done before and with a game that I am interested in I would very much like to make it a better game.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Don't worry, we've been assured by two different Community Managers that there will be more Contests and Giveaways and that some may even include gaming hardware! Just keep in mind, these are giveaways and contests.
  • Options
    tinypyrotinypyro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    If you're disappointed about not getting a key you have only yourself to blame. The chances were going to be slim from the start.

Nobody thought in a million years the chances were going to be THAT slim. Give us a break.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    tinypyro wrote: »
    Nobody thought in a million years the chances were going to be THAT slim. Give us a break.
    CM Pin did say, and I quote, "a select few." Then again though, "few" is a very subjective term that has a varied meaning by many.
  • Options
    neoyoshineoyoshi Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I am not at all bothered by having to wait until Closed Beta to test the game, i just would like to know whether or not in the future promotional details will be henceforth less ambiguous.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Think about it, and I stink at math. Over 3,000 people entered. And 2 keys were given away. So round it off to 3,000 people. So that means 1 percent would be thirty(30) people. So we had what? : 0.001% chance of winning a key? Like I said, I stink at math. Someone have the exact number?

I went to bed last night thinking, "ok, they will probably give out a 100 keys. so I have a slim chance."
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    tinypyro wrote: »

The chances depended on the number of users participating.
    There was no way to accurately anticipate the number of applicants.
    Anyways, I'm not surprised and it's not that big of a deal. I'm just glad it got some more people over to the forums.
    We all have a chance to shape the future of the game here, whether we get picked for Alpha testing or not. The more the merrier.
  • Options
    starbearstarbear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I totaly want your forgotten realms collection! When you say "phased" beta what does that I mean? Also I got the PCGamer key and I'm a lifer over on STO which key/account perk takes priority?
    Raychul - Remen Sci Officer
    Lumba - Ferengi Eng Officer
    Vadesca - Orion Eng Officer
    AKA: Yavin_Prime
    Add a Race-change token in the Zen Store, please!
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Was I the only one who knew 2 keys would be given away?

Facebook france, and other gave away 2 keys (FR gave 3 more in next promotion) and they needed foreign testers.

It was obvious they are going to give away less than that. 2 is a big number compared to that - considering they didnt need alpha testers.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    starbear wrote: »
    I totaly want your forgotten realms collection! When you say "phased" beta what does that I mean? Also I got the PCGamer key and I'm a lifer over on STO which key/account perk takes priority?

It means that beta will happen in several stages. In rounds, per say. Like closed beta 1, 2, and 3. Then open beta. There's no way to know which stage or phase of beta a key will grant access to.
  • Options
    neoyoshineoyoshi Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Was I the only one who knew 2 keys would be given away?

Facebook france, and other gave away 2 keys (FR gave 3 more in next promotion) and they needed foreign testers.

It was obvious they are going to give away less than that. 2 is a big number compared to that - considering they didnt need alpha testers.

*sighs* I'm having a hard time even debating this now, because honestly, i sympathize with both sides of all this. xD

Instead, I'm going to post a picture.

tumblr_mask6oUcSl1qfbz1so1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I've just been told to tell you all, by CM PinPointError himself, that more than two keys were given away in the Alpha Contest and that "we'll run more."

Cheers,
    ~Zebular, PWE Community Moderator
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The last thing im going to say about this is I just hope that Cryptic is going to be less...cryptic in the amount of people they let into the Beta phases.

/endbeingbutthurt
  • Options
    mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ZEB!! Where ya been man??
  • Options
    blizzidblizzid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 170 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    well maybe next time :P
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ZEB!! Where ya been man??
    Oh you know, here and there. A little more there than here as of late but I am always somewhere.
  • Options
    mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The game must be pretty addicting....nice:D
  • Options
    hrothgar22hrothgar22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I, for one, think that CB has to be close. I mean they did give out mount keys which are supposed to also grant beta access in the feb edition of PC Gamer. (which i did buy and use which allowed me to click the download now button, not sure how much that helps me but eh) anyway if the beta was months and months away y would they be having people advertise mounts and other stuff for the game when u cant even use it yet. my thoughts are that since it is the feb edition of the mag it should be into the closed beta stage by Feb now thats just my guess but it doesnt make since to give me a key for an item that i wont be able to use til the game goes into closed beta months and months and months away. any thoughts?

Hrothgar Hellbringer
  • Options
    zadenadoszadenados Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    1OGGH D;
  • Options
    bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    zadenados wrote: »
    1OGGH D;

I LOL'd cute very cute:)
This discussion has been closed.