test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Beta Anxiety Thread! (Read OP for Beta Info!)

Comments

• azsh1azsh1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited January 2013
    Oh great gods of Neverwinter please release Beta next week. My download now button is taunting me.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    It's taunting me too! :(
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well, due to a fluke it worked, then didn't, so many months ago...and no I didn't get to play any game then...bugs just seem to flock to my account here...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drebian777drebian777 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    "Phased" access to Closed Beta means that we wouldn't be able to access it until about halfway through the Beta, I'm assuming...
    If that's not correct, please feel free to educate me...

Furthermore, when are the "phased" beta participants going to be able to see the key? I'm assuming it'll be delivered via email... Again, feel free to educate me if I'm wrong...
  • asmodan1asmodan1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Is there a place to apply for a beta key?
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    drebian777 wrote: »
    "Phased" access to Closed Beta means that we wouldn't be able to access it until about halfway through the Beta, I'm assuming...
    If that's not correct, please feel free to educate me...

Furthermore, when are the "phased" beta participants going to be able to see the key? I'm assuming it'll be delivered via email... Again, feel free to educate me if I'm wrong...

Phased bet means people will be introduced to the beta in PHASES. Not at the beginning, not halfway, not at the nd, ALL of the above and split up. Just know NOBODY can tell you when your phase is.

And keys will be delived either through emnaiul PM or both as contets have shown.
    asmodan1 wrote: »
    Is there a place to apply for a beta key?

See my FAQ. Right now only the PC Magazine is actively giving out keys for a random mount and key code in beta which time has not been announced yet. As it gets closer to launch more keys will be given out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theevilxtheevilx Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    yess i want the redeem key
  • ssantiagoxssantiagox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Phased bet means people will be introduced to the beta in PHASES. Not at the beginning, not halfway, not at the nd, ALL of the above and split up. Just know NOBODY can tell you when your phase is.

And keys will be delived either through emnaiul PM or both as contets have shown.

When lifetimer's were told they'd have access to closed beta there was no mention of phases, at least to my knowledge. Nor was there for TL2 pre-orders, to my knowledge. It was simply "CB". Generally and keeping with the "perception" created by the use of "closed beta" as a marketing tool.... the implication is access to CB from start to end. Of course most of us know this trick already so to some extent our expectations are already tempered :)

What I personally find interesting is how all of the CB restrictions (introducing phases for example) occurs after original announcements and as marketing uses the tool more and more... so that the pool becomes so large that it's unmanageable.

This is what leaves such a bad taste in the mouths of customers.

In any case I'm excited for the beta... I just hope that I'm not left feeling like I was promised one thing and received something of a much lesser value.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ssantiagox wrote: »
    When lifetimer's were told they'd have access to closed beta there was no mention of phases, at least to my knowledge. Nor was there for TL2 pre-orders, to my knowledge. It was simply "CB". ....

You are wrong here. They have always made it clear even during Torchlight's II beta keys; even PAX Prime beta keys(both came before LTS confirmation), that beta will be in phases and it is not guaranteed day 1 access.

I don't really like cryptic's marketing team, however I cannot be unfair to them - they were very vocal in making it clear.
  • chris5507chris5507 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have also been checking my emails and have not been sent a beta key. I have played WoW since 2004 of which I beta tested that and all the expansions up to latest one. I also beta tested SWTOR, I would really love to beta test Neverwinter because I plan on playing it with my son & it be great to get the early info on this awesome game.
  • tinypyrotinypyro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I am absolutely convinced that so called "closed beta" is happening right now, and its called Alpha Testing. By the time they decide to start sending out any kind of invites for Beta it will be nothing but a one or two week tool to make sure the server can handle a larger population. Any and all testing they want to do is being done right now.

All of the marketing ploys mentioning beta access were just that. Marketing ploys. By the time the so called beta rolls around it won't amount to anything other than an "early access" server stress test. I strongly believe that we are all going to feel duped. In fact I for one, already do and have for quite sometime.

I guess time will tell, but as the old mantra goes... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice (or a dozen times) shame on me.
  • vamekavameka Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    at some point you just have to accept the fact you might have to wait for the game to release to play it. You aren't entitled to get beta access alpha access or any other Greek letter access. Be patient the game will come out and you will be able to play it too.
  • tinypyrotinypyro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    vameka wrote: »
    at some point you just have to accept the fact you might have to wait for the game to release to play it. You aren't entitled to get beta access alpha access or any other Greek letter access. Be patient the game will come out and you will be able to play it too.

"""For pre-ordering Torchlight II, you are guaranteed access to the Closed Beta for Neverwinter. As we approach the launch of the Closed Beta, more information will be sent to you regarding how and when you can download the game."""

That is a direct quote taken from my Email inbox on May 6th 2012. 9 months ago.

No offense, but please be aware of all the facts and history of the situation many of us are upset about before you comment.

Would we have purchased TL2 if the sales pich said "By pre-ordering TL2, you have a small chance of gaining access to some form of phased beta testing a few days before it launches a year from now"?

Negative.

Marketing Ploy.

Period.
  • flyingcows1007flyingcows1007 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I can make very little comment considering I learned of Neverwinter maybe two weeks ago and bought my PC Gamer beta key about one week ago - but man.

Hearing numbers like tinypyro listed out really, honestly discourages me.

I'm in it regardless, but I've gotta say, after about a week of sifting through the forums and trying to not pay much mind to the distress lest I get my hopes dampened, "... it will be nothing but a one or two week tool to make sure the server can handle a larger population. Any and all testing they want to do is being done right now." kind of breaks my heart.
    edited January 2013
    I can make very little comment considering I learned of Neverwinter maybe two weeks ago and bought my PC Gamer beta key about one week ago - but man.

Hearing numbers like tinypyro listed out really, honestly discourages me.

I'm in it regardless, but I've gotta say, after about a week of sifting through the forums and trying to not pay much mind to the distress lest I get my hopes dampened, "... it will be nothing but a one or two week tool to make sure the server can handle a larger population. Any and all testing they want to do is being done right now." kind of breaks my heart.

That is nothing but pure speculation on my part. There has been no official comment by PWE or Cryptic implying such an opinion. Last thing I want to be responsible for is bursting anyone's bubble.

I just want everyone to be aware how they do things around here. I felt the same way you did 9 months ago. I don't want to be a bitter berry about it, but at this point it is becoming more and more dificult to be optomistic :(
  • flyingcows1007flyingcows1007 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    tinypyro wrote: »
    That is nothing but pure speculation on my part. There has been no official comment by PWE or Cryptic implying such an opinion. Last thing I want to be responsible for is bursting anyone's bubble.

I just want everyone to be aware how they do things around here. I felt the same way you did 9 months ago. I don't want to be a bitter berry about it, but at this point it is becoming more and more dificult to be optomistic :(

Nah and I definitely appreciate the honest clarity - but that also makes me put more stock in your words, haha!

I've seen fierce pushback that this is NOT Closed Beta and it is ALPHA, and I'm inclined to believe that and avoid stirring up too much dust in that direction - but I admit my spirit is wavering a little.

I feel so much for people like you who have been waiting nearly a year, and I am certainly not going to make any statements downplaying your disappointment. I'm certainly empathizing a bit here... but in the end, my excitement is to have the game in general. Robust CB or no, I'm ravenous to get my hands on it at all.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    flyingcows1007,
    As a Forum Moderator I assure you the only testing occuring at this point in time is for Alpha Testing.
    It is by no means an unnannounced Beta Test.

Yes there are a select few people outside of the company partaking in the Alpha Tests but most of them are Friends and Family specifically invited by Cryptic Employees.
    This is very standard for an Alpha Tests.

Outside opinions are crucial to Alpha Testing since developers will always be biased towards their creations. Look at what happened with Windows 8. Microsoft was so stuck in their own world they didn't accept the opinions of their testers or the general public.
    Outside opinions are always brought in during the Alpha Phases in order to get feedback on things such as UI, initial content and anything else the developers might miss due to their involvement in the game's creation.

Video Proof.
  • neoyoshineoyoshi Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Time to start creeping around the play-grounds to recruit those "little kids"!

2ez1a40.gif
  • k44mosk44mos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Their vids are awesome.

Anyway, I appreciate the devs getting more involved here.
    edited January 2013
    So do I!
    So do I!
  • jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So do I!
    So do I!

Me too!
    Me too!
    Me too!
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
    edited January 2013
    Me too!
    Me too!
    Me too!

*sees the crowd going wild*

Me three!
    Me three!
    Me three!
    Me three!

*whispers*
    'what is it about, and why I have to type four times?'
  • alsarothalsaroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    *sees the crowd going wild*

Me three!
    Me three!
    Me three!
    Me three!

*whispers*
    'what is it about, and why I have to type four times?'

Aye!
    Aye!
    Aye!
    Aye!
    (F)Aye(v)!
    "A rare display of intelligence, undoubtedly fleeting." - Edwin Odesseiron
  • quseioquseio Member Posts: 43
    edited January 2013
    let us derp around in the charactor creator at least or better yet the foundry ! or release some more info your releaseing it far to slowly. These tiny tiny chunks of info released every 2-3 weeks is maddening lol. I need something to feed the nwn craveing, before it becomes The Hunger.Please dont make me force my friends into larping nwn beta

... they just wouldnt understand.
  • ssantiagoxssantiagox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You are wrong here. They have always made it clear even during Torchlight's II beta keys; even PAX Prime beta keys(both came before LTS confirmation), that beta will be in phases and it is not guaranteed day 1 access.

I don't really like cryptic's marketing team, however I cannot be unfair to them - they were very vocal in making it clear.

I would love to see proof of this. You could be right but to my knowledge phases were never mentioned in any meaningful or "clear" way until the edit of the OP for this thread. Before then it was mentioned in the other "anxiety" thread in this passing sentence:

"When Beta Phases have been announced, rest assured, this thread and others will be updated with pertinent information."

So the lead up to all of this was definitely not implying that you would essentially get what appears to be some token beta access period.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the scalability issues with beta programs and I understand delays. I have NO problems with those. What I do have problems with are when beta's are used as a tool to sell and market and then the perception generated is distinctly different than the reality. That's when it goes from fair business practices to shady dealings on the marketing side.

It's not a huge deal, after all it's only beta for a game, but for those of us who are involved and excited it's a little annoying and leaves a bad taste after all is said and done. ;D
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I would love to see proof of this. You could be right but to my knowledge phases were never mentioned in any meaningful or "clear" way until the edit of the OP for this thread. Before then it was mentioned in the other "anxiety" thread in this passing sentence:

"When Beta Phases have been announced, rest assured, this thread and others will be updated with pertinent information."

So the lead up to all of this was definitely not implying that you would essentially get what appears to be some token beta access period.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the scalability issues with beta programs and I understand delays. I have NO problems with those. What I do have problems with are when beta's are used as a tool to sell and market and then the perception generated is distinctly different than the reality. That's when it goes from fair business practices to shady dealings on the marketing side.

It's not a huge deal, after all it's only beta for a game, but for those of us who are involved and excited it's a little annoying and leaves a bad taste after all is said and done. ;D

Both of these state that it will be phased, in their own words (doled out):
    http://co.perfectworld.com/news/?name=co-node-595755
    http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=573891

Other than that, since the old articles are no longer around, you're just going to have to take my word for it. So far, all the keys released (except for the ones at the conventions) have specifically stated that they will grant a "phased" access. It's either been said in the material they were published or sent out with, or had been officially stated on these forums.
    edited January 2013

This is accurate
    I am absolutely convinced that so called "closed beta" is happening right now, and its called Alpha Testing. By the time they decide to start sending out any kind of invites for Beta it will be nothing but a one or two week tool to make sure the server can handle a larger population. Any and all testing they want to do is being done right now.

All of the marketing ploys mentioning beta access were just that. Marketing ploys. By the time the so called beta rolls around it won't amount to anything other than an "early access" server stress test. I strongly believe that we are all going to feel duped. In fact I for one, already do and have for quite sometime.

I guess time will tell, but as the old mantra goes... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice (or a dozen times) shame on me.

This is not

"""For pre-ordering Torchlight II, you are guaranteed access to the Closed Beta for Neverwinter. As we approach the launch of the Closed Beta, more information will be sent to you regarding how and when you can download the game."""

That is a direct quote taken from my Email inbox on May 6th 2012. 9 months ago.

No offense, but please be aware of all the facts and history of the situation many of us are upset about before you comment.

Would we have purchased TL2 if the sales pich said "By pre-ordering TL2, you have a small chance of gaining access to some form of phased beta testing a few days before it launches a year from now"?

Negative.

Marketing Ploy.

Period.

No offense, but please don't demand the facts when yours are so wrong beforehand.

This is more like it. If it's your opinion, pure speculation, make it absolutely clear that is so. While you certainly didn't give the appearance of speaking for a community, the first of your posts suggested some authority that simply wasn't there with info which simply isn't true. If you have prior testing experience and/or development experience to back up your SPECULATION, or OPINION, that needs to be stated along with the emphasized words.

Else leave the describing to those who have said experience and exposure from here or elsewhere. I'm sorry if this comes across harsh, but I'm cracking down on everybody doing this, as other threads can show.

The reinventing the term Alpha testing. Hint... if anyone outside the company is testing, its not Alpha

You are confused between the terms Alpha and INTERNAL testing.

When I was not allowed to mention Alpha's ongoing and used the term internal testing, it was to suggest what you are now.

Alpha testing while traditionally had been internal testing, has not always been company only. Alpha is simply the devlopment stage before beta.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013

Just came back to read this.

Search the Ask developers thread where stomshade answered about it. I will do it for you. Keep an eye on edits here.

EDIT1: lol. Already ninjaed by zeb - saw after I post it. But let me give SS's link to post as it has not been brought up by these two mods.

Back in 2011:
    I don't think we'll be guaranteeing beta access for Lifetime Subs of our other game to Neverwinter. If that does change, we';ll make sure to let you all know.

Thanks,

Stormshade
    This changed when this was announced in...

(grrr... how many slangs do you guys have for Life time subscribers...)

post 222351
    Thread 6901
    YAYA!!!
    Goldmine - post 128541
    Hey Folks,

Just a quick note on this: Please remember that we will be phasing in CBT participants, including CO and STO Lifetime subscribers as the beta progresses. This means that you may not receive Beta access on day one of the Closed Beta Test if you are a lifetime subscriber of Champions or Star Trek. You may need to wait awhile.

That said, I promise you will gain access to the Closed Beta.

Thanks,

Stormshade
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Just came back to read this.

Search the Ask developers thread where stomshade answered about it. I will do it for you. Keep an eye on edits here.

EDIT1: lol. Already ninjaed by zeb - saw after I post it. But let me give SS's link to post as it has not been brought up by these two mods.

Please do, I looked for it but this headache isn't allowing me to find much without getting put off at it. Thanks! :)
    edited January 2013
    made reduntant by post above. removed for reducing confusions.
This discussion has been closed.