test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Beta Anxiety Thread! (Read OP for Beta Info!)

Comments

• Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    Cryptmapolis made it pretty clear that as of at least late december the game is still in alpha testing, and that beta start dates depended on a variety of things, including alpha feedback.

His response on the matter is buried somewhere in the Meet the Developers thread.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    A more concise definition of Phased Invites is that you are guaranteed access to Closed Beta for being a Lifetime Sub of Co or STO but you are not guaranteed immediate access.

Your best friend could receive a CBT Key from his lifetime subscription of STO the first day of Neverwinter's Closed Beta Tests.
    You might not get yours until a few days before launch.

Ultimately phased means that invites will be sent out to lifetime subs at random on an as-needed basis. (unless Cryptic states otherwise when they release the Beta Schedule)

[No offense Bitterwinter]
  • Options
    kattgoss1kattgoss1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    hii am new ere but if BETA has'nt yet opened why does the NWN homepage have a large button to ACCESS BETA? then take u to a page asking for BETA key?
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    There are ways players can obtain Closed Beta Keys which can be entered through the "Access Beta" button.
    Once the CBT Key is entered the button will change to "Download Now."

However the "Download Now" button takes you to a page that says 'nah nah hehe you can't haz Beta yet!'
    Fine it doesn't really but it might as well say that!

So the button does have a function but since the game is still in the Alpha Stages it doesn't let you download the client. Hope this explains the button a bit at least.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    kattgoss1 wrote: »
    hii am new ere but if BETA has'nt yet opened why does the NWN homepage have a large button to ACCESS BETA? then take u to a page asking for BETA key?

Well prepared is well spared.
  • Options
    osirisraaosirisraa Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Still looking for a beta code to play the beta. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    However the "Download Now" button takes you to a page that says 'nah nah hehe you can't haz Beta yet!'

That's exactly right. Download button has been teasing me for too long...It must be destroyed!
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    enter my contest
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Buy a PCGamer ??
    ah everyone does not live in usa :( thets only for usa pc gamer version
  • Options
    neya01neya01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 63
    edited January 2013
    That's my problem too, i cant get PCGamer here in the Netherlands...if there is someone who knows how to get one without paying a huge bag of money for import, i would like to hear it!
  • Options
    rofehrrofehr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    In Germany we have the same problem, here you can't get any PC Gamer :(
  • Options
    lolwutruevendoinlolwutruevendoin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Can you buy it from Google at https://play.google.com/store/magazines/details/PC_Gamer_US_Edition?id=CAowxalU ? Or would it not work?
  • Options
    syfylissyfylis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This is a joke that you have to buy games or magazines to get access to beta of free to play game where you help company fix problems so they don't need to hire beta testers.
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Prejt <<<<<<<<<<

33kel5d.jpg

My work: Heroes Blacksmith - Library
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?21051-Heroes-Blacksmith-Library
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    More methods for getting a Beta Key will be available when we get closer to Beta.

PC Gamer is simply a marketing technique to reach out to the PC Gamer readers who might not have heard of Neverwinter. I think it's important to realize that article, while it may be available for purchase by anybody (in the US), is to advertise the game to those who haven't already heard about it.

The main goal of PC Gamer is not to give out Beta Keys. It's to advertise the game to people who may not have heard about it before.

Other than PC Gamer at the moment there are no other active promotions though. If you can wait until they decide to issue keys then where this is a will there is a way to get PC Gamer issues outside of the US. However there will be more Beta Key Giveaways in the months to come which don't require you to spend a dime.
  • Options
    rofehrrofehr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Can you buy it from Google at https://play.google.com/store/magazines/details/PC_Gamer_US_Edition?id=CAowxalU ? Or would it not work?
    not from Germany :(
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    syfylis wrote: »
    This is a joke that you have to buy games or magazines to get access to beta of free to play game where you help company fix problems so they don't need to hire beta testers.

"If you buy a Ferrari car before doomsday, you get a special edition of shampoo with Ferrari's brand on it!"

is the promotional offer.

And you decide to buy the car because you want the special edition shampoo not available from any shop outlet.

Do I blame you for doing it? No - its your money.

Is it Ferrari's fault that they thought up this promotion? No.

Simple!
  • Options
    zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    rofehr wrote: »
    In Germany we have the same problem, here you can't get any PC Gamer :(

There is a UK version here, but without the keys. Google Play doesn't let you choose the US version, Zinio lets you select it but not pay for and that Apple thingy, I have no idea.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I bought the PC gamer mag (got the hot blonde cleric cover one btw, willing to trade for elven rogue =p) for the article and mount. I've had my key registered since the TL2 promo so just now waiting for that direct download/torrent.....still.

I have a feeling we're going to hear something next week regarding beta date.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    However there will be more Beta Key Giveaways in the months to come.
    Don't tell me we have to wait months now for beta. Craig's tweet the other day made it seem as if beta could be announced any time.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I bought the PC gamer mag (got the hot blonde cleric cover one btw, willing to trade for elven rogue =p) for the article and mount. ...

I will hold this to demand something I complained an year ago - better art for clerics. Like this
    cleric.jpg

Talk to the Mace!
    BAAMMM!! WHAMMM!
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    However there will be more Beta Key Giveaways in the months to come
    Don't tell me we have to wait months now for beta. Craig's tweet the other day made it seem as if beta could be announced any time.

Path of Exile is in closed beta right now (and has been for some time). Open beta begins on the 23rd. They're still giving closed beta keys away today, and they'll continue to right up until OB starts, I'd bet.

My point being that even if Closed Beta for this game began tomorrow, and "lasted for many months to come," it would be safe to assume that Cryptic would be giving away beta keys, "for many months to come."
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    My point being that even if Closed Beta for this game began tomorrow, and "lasted for many months to come," it would be safe to assume that Cryptic would be giving away beta keys, "for many months to come."
    Exactly.

Just because Closed Beta starts doesn't mean they will stop giving away keys.
    I honestly expect more promotions and support after Closed Beta starts than before.

Warning - this post is my personal opinion and does not represent PWE/Cryptic Studios.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Guess I just figured it'd be a short beta since they said release "early" 2013.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    As much as I would love for the game to be officially released in early 2013 I would more prefer to see a long Closed Beta so players truly get a chance to shape the game.

And for the most part Open Beta can be considered a release. I linked a decent article a few pages back I believe which explains what an Open Beta is in most instances. Typically it's a finished game which is just finalizing the last details and ironing out any remaining bugs. There's rarely any account wipes or roll-backs so in most cases all data is retained between Open Beta and Launch.

I personally really don't want to see the game crippled because they said the game would "launch" in early 2013. To me launch is a very unimportant term in an MMO because for all intensive purposes 'launch' implies a completed product and no MMO is truly ever 'complete.'

In my eyes MMO's live in a perpetual Open Beta Stage where everything is always subject to change. However changes after Closed Beta have to be more carefully considered...
    And because of that I would rather have a thorough Closed Beta Test and forget about 'launching' the finished unfinished game by a deadline. To me, launch is Open Beta and the end of Open Beta is just a formallity.

Again this post represents my personal opinion and not Cryptic Studios/PWE.
  • Options
    felnixfelnix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    In my eyes MMO's live in a perpetual Open Beta Stage where everything is always subject to change. However changes after Closed Beta have to be more carefully considered...

Well said. As impatient as we all can be at times we have to remember why it is we want the game to be open already..... Because of how awesome some of the past games were, if this game came out half baked we'd be extremely dissappointed. I can't wait but I can if it means it will be awesome.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    We're hoping for that too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dagger2thugtrap7dagger2thugtrap7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Truthseeker! I'm fancy about CBT Key, when will we being given Codes or just those have given whom already had bought the PC Gamer magazines on exclusive Hands-on or a lifetime subscriber of STO and etc.? Now they are able to test Close Beta already or they just have reedemed their keys and still are waiting to the launch of CBT? And don't you know when this issue is going to happen of pulling in the game all members even if dev working still in Close Beta? And everyone ever have a chance if neither not Lifetime Subscriber nor has the PC Gamer magazine to get into CBT?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    dagger2thugtrap7,

I'm having a really hard time understanding all your questions but I believe most of your questions should be answered in Zebular's original post.

The one thing I can say for certain is that Forum Moderators have not been told when Closed Beta will start. No word playing to avoid an indirect answer.
    Cryptic hasn't told us anything about Closed Beta that the general public doesn't know.

Since the Closed Beta Test has not started Lifetime Subscribers to STO/CO or any person who currently has a Closed Beta Key can't play Neverwinter yet. We're all on an equal playing field as far as Closed Beta is concerned.

Ultimately any question not answered in the first post of this thread will likely be answered by Cryptic when they release their Closed Beta Schedule.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Amazingly, the thumbscrews didn't w...I mean, no date has been announced for the CB yet, but I'm REALLY trying! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.