test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Beta Anxiety Thread! (Read OP for Beta Info!)

Comments

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    You wish! That's the old wizard's familiar...

And a wizard's familiar is like a somebody's steed. Never mess with another person's steed.
  • Options
    k44mosk44mos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    LIES! All lies!

Everybody plays with my steed.
  • Options
    blizzidblizzid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 170 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    so im curious i had bought the founders pack for raiderz which promised me a beta key for neverwinter online, will those be sent anytime soon?
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    blizzid wrote: »
    so im curious i had bought the founders pack for raiderz which promised me a beta key for neverwinter online, will those be sent anytime soon?
    Those will be sent or your account granted access when CBT begins. Check the original post in this thread for more details on CBT keys. Thanks! :)
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Anxiety rising!!!

The Beta Anxiety Thread!

38k views

Close Beta Redeem Key

13k views

Delayed?

9.8k views

Waiting patiently

7.7k views

Closed Beta Keys to be Released

5.3k views

The Beta Anxiety Thread!...

5.1k views

Total(approx - a few hundreds here and there)

78.9k views

• Options
    wistful83wistful83 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    hi folks first forum to ever anywho i wanted to know when will there be more beta keys given out ive been researching the game and id like to start playing asap. an also whats the release date does anyone know?ill be playing vindictus as evie till i get a key or untill the release date sadly lol
  • Options
    health002health002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    wistful83 wrote: »
    hi folks first forum to ever anywho i wanted to know when will there be more beta keys given out ive been researching the game and id like to start playing asap. an also whats the release date does anyone know?ill be playing vindictus as evie till i get a key or until the release date sadly lol

Get to the back of the line and stop cutting,D-Bag ! lol <--- just <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> with yeah
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    wistful83 wrote: »
    hi folks first forum to ever anywho i wanted to know when will there be more beta keys given out ive been researching the game and id like to start playing asap. an also whats the release date does anyone know?ill be playing vindictus as evie till i get a key or untill the release date sadly lol

No info on beta or keys released yet. Rumors say check the forums on Jan 8 - or buy PC Mag issue.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Stay tuned to our homepage as we reveal more exclusive details, videos, images, and developer insights in 2013 including more Beta details!

So for beta details, keep checking the website itself where it will be announced.
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Anxiety rising!!!
    Total (approx - a few hundreds here and there)
    78.9k views

yeah--- and imagine... thats only what ... a few hundred unique viewers!!?? ;)

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    And we hope to get an announcement in January linked to the magazine article with no guarantee on that or any other announced beta date/keys.

Trust me, I'd love one to start doling out beta key link spots if allowed,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Updated Original Post with better formatting and added:
  • Options
    tinypyrotinypyro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    Being spread all over the cover of PC Gamer would insinuate that the hype machine is truly beginning. On the other hand, we have recently learned that key aspects of the game (crafting) are still in "early implementation stages". I guess the question is this..... Is closed beta going to be a true testing ground to implement and perfect certain unfinished aspects of the game, or is closed beta basicly going to be a small polish before launch. The announcements in the Holiday greeting saddened me and brought the potential reality of the situation crashing down. They very clearly left the door open for a 4th quarter 2013 launch.

I invested $20 bucks into TL2 months and months and months ago only because it assured me a closed beta key for this game. TL2 hadn't even launched yet. I forget how long ago it was, but I joined this community 8 months ago, so I'm guessing that is about right.

As someone mentioned in another thread, there is another Epic MMO scheduled for a 2013 release. I find myself more and more inclined to get involved with that community because they are clearly making progress. I honestly don't know what to say anymore about it other than I kinda feel cheated.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    All I can say is delays and bumps are common occurance in any MMO.
    The game you're mentioning has been in development for over eight years...yes I said eight years.

NW is rebounding from virtually an entire rebuild from the previously announced 2011 structured release. Although the game wasn't completed as quickly as previously anticipated you can't compare the development time periods. Most of those who have been around the block blame Atari...and their claims aren't so far off key.

Afterall I still have my copy of Gauntelgrym advertising a 2011 release from Neverwinter and that obviously got tossed on it's head. Basically any press release you can find lays fault on Atari pushing a low quality product which would have flopped to begin with so unless every press release is biased against Atari I think it's best to accept any long development with open arms because the Atari funded game would have crashed and burned long ago. Even if they funded the game to this exact point, Atari doing as Atari does, would release the game prematurely to crash and burn.

Complain all you'd like of delays...I'm thankful for the fact the game can be delays so features which should be worked on before released get worked on before release.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2012
    You can only delay so long before the hype wears off and no one is excited anymore.

Take Diablo 3 for example. As much as I liked Diablo 1 and 2, my interest in D3 wore off, oh, I don't know, 5 or 6 years after D2. So instead of buying it on the day of release, I ended up never buying it.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    That's a slightly different circumstance but overall true.

I'd still blame Atari for pushing an unfinished product though. Had Atari given the proper support required for a Neverwinter Game to begin with we wouldn't have had half issues if for no other reason than there wouldn't have been one to two years of hype to begin with.

There aren't 8 years of hype with ESO...why? Because they didn't tell people about it until just about the time Skyrim was launched. Five years or more of hush hush development...
    Atari was the one who pushed early press releases for Neverwinter, not Cryptic.
    Even after Neverwinter got proper support from PWE every single step of the way they still have to deal with the premature hype from Atari. Their push for a 2012 release can easily be argued as a result from, and only from, the hype Atari pushed about a 2011 Neverwinter...which honestly anybody can tell you would have been an utter catastrophe.
  • Options
    ssantiagoxssantiagox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ranncore wrote: »
    You can only delay so long before the hype wears off and no one is excited anymore.

Take Diablo 3 for example. As much as I liked Diablo 1 and 2, my interest in D3 wore off, oh, I don't know, 5 or 6 years after D2. So instead of buying it on the day of release, I ended up never buying it.

Diablo 3 sold tons and tons of copies. Hype may have worn off, simply because you can't keep that level of excitment forever, but it didn't hurt sales one bit, nor will Neverwinter's delays. As gamers we have come to expect it.

What hurt Diablo 3 was that it was such as massive let down. THAT is what kills a game, not a lessening of hype. If it is good it will sell, bad and it won't.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    No blanchardtech, Atari is gone for good from this game.
    They're on a lot of people seatleast sinced they also fussed over Cryptic and the Neverwinter name in general. ;)

Perfect World Entertainment is now the primary investor in the game's success.

And well said ssantiagox. Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2012
    ssantiagox wrote: »
    nor will Neverwinter's delays.

I honestly don't think neverwinter's delays will impact it very much either, as it's a niche game. There won't be another DnD title coming out before it, and that's really the only thing that could impact their potential market.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    And yeah I don't know what they were thinking over at Atari but they had a couple of really negative blunders in a row. The company has had about a dozen owners since it's inception, I don't even know who to blame for some of their recent, awful marketing decisions.

Pretty sure they are owned by Infrogames now. Don't know why you'd want to own Atari.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    My eyes are bleeding reading that A***** word again and again so many times.

Anyways, NW had two delays - both good.

Delay 1:- A***-word abomination, was gone and we came to know they were forcing devs to make co-op while devs wanted to make an MMO (though we all knew that, devs confirmed it the day they announced it will be MMO)

Delay 2:- PWE saw, ooo! there is so much response. Lets increase their production budget. This may be prime game and not just dark horse. So cryptic said, cool now we have monies maybe break it down and make it again properly.

So both delays were cool.

Problem lies(and many of us here said time and again) in marketing. They need to release information on regular basis - not bursts of information before a long silence.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    A**** has been on my s**** since they f**** over DDO. Does A**** still have anything to do with this game? I am a DDO Fan ....
    Turbine's lawsuit on A**** was that A**** was developing this game so they are messing with them.

Little did they knew, A**** messes with everyone, even themselves.

In the very old posts maybe 3rd fourth page from the start you might be able to find archived post describing all details what happened here and what had happened earlier in context of A****
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Poor Gil! I was wondering I I should put a warning in the top posts of both pages to prevent accidental retina damage.
    Seems I was too late...

Very true on all three counts though. However I will always stand firm behind released information must be completely finished information.

EDIT - I believe you were referring to the third or fourth page of this thread Gil. ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    EDIT - I believe you were referring to the third or fourth page of this thread Gil. ;)

Actually it was a large post by either truth or qumi post with all the links to news describing DDO lawsuit as well as cryptic's quotes from the interview.

It might have been a bit off-topic because I can't find it anymore. It was post an year ago I think when NW became f2p. I didn't bookmark that page, though I usually did ... (because of a-words in it).

Anyways, first delay was the best because otherwise this would have been daggerdale 2 instead. I remember that was when I actually started getting excited about the game.

EDIT:
    didn't find that post but this post is also quite terse:-
    Turbine, I believe, had a non-compete clause with Atari. Cryptic's new game could not be an MMO because of it. So it was rebranded as Coop. Since Neverwinter is no longer an Atari product, it now can be. Also that contract may have expired. The original plan may have been to release it as coop and move it into MMO if successful, after the contract expired.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/60204/atari-sued-over-dungeons-dragons

I believe the word complete in the above quote was really supposed to be compete.

Anyway, that's my outsiders take on it.

- Bar

• Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ssantiagox wrote: »
    Diablo 3 sold tons and tons of copies. Hype may have worn off, simply because you can't keep that level of excitment forever, but it didn't hurt sales one bit, nor will Neverwinter's delays. As gamers we have come to expect it.

What hurt Diablo 3 was that it was such as massive let down. THAT is what kills a game, not a lessening of hype. If it is good it will sell, bad and it won't.

That is a really bad example. Diablo III has a following of millions that have been building and waiting for years, over a decade. They didnt need to hype at all, yet there's been hype for years.

Neverwinter Online has almost no following as of yet (though its growing... sloooowly). A large majority in the Neverwinter Nights and DDO communities are largely uninterested and/or lost faith. Now, that's not saying they wont come along for the ride... but Cryptic has a LOT of work to do to market to those communities' members, not to mention the rest of the international gaming community imho.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    tinypyrotinypyro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    I just deleted Raiderz after playing it for about a week. It was so terrible that aside from graphics and fighting style, it may very well be the sloppiest excuse for an mmo in history. So believe me, I have no dispute whatsoever with Cryptic making sure they get this right. My issue is with marketing and misleading sales pitches. You really think people in this community purchased TL2 because they wanted the game? Negative. it is indeed a pretty solid game, but the reason most of the people in this community bought it was because of the promised beta key. Yes we got the key. Great. Awsome. Oh wait this key is... what is this key for again? What did I pay 20 bucks for? Sorry, it's been so long that I forgot.

I have said many many times that it isn't the delays that irritate us. Its things like selling us beta keys for a game a year before beta even starts. How many people would have done it if they knew it was gonna be a year before beta? Nobody would, and they knew that. And that in my opinion is misleading and underhanded.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    For some reason the edit function never works so I'll make another post to add to that. It was mentioned that this is a nich game and will have tons of people wanting to play it at launch regardless of the date. I agree with that. Myself included. But be aware of one key factor here. There is a huge difference between Super excited loyal fanbase support at launch and cautiously optomistic support from a fanbase that has the "cry wolf" syndrome. The latter is much more likely to lose patience and walk away sooner than later.
  • Options
    ssantiagoxssantiagox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    That is a really bad example. Diablo III has a following of millions that have been building and waiting for years, over a decade. They didnt need to hype at all, yet there's been hype for years.

Neverwinter Online has almost no following as of yet (though its growing... sloooowly). A large majority in the Neverwinter Nights and DDO communities are largely uninterested and/or lost faith. Now, that's not saying they wont come along for the ride... but Cryptic has a LOT of work to do to market to those communities' members, not to mention the rest of the international gaming community imho.

Sorry but we'll have to agree to disagree. Neverwinter is very well known, certainly it's not at the Blizzard level, but it's still very popular.

I've been around gaming for a long time as you probably have as well and I've seen this all before. At the end of the day it will be the game's quality, as well as it's marketing department, who sell it. If it's good and well marketed, and the PR guys get the needed press, it will sell regardless of the delays.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    tinypyro wrote: »
    I just deleted Raiderz after playing it for about a week. It was so terrible that aside from graphics and fighting style, it may very well be the sloppiest excuse for an mmo in history.

RaiderZ has been terribly mismanaged. It's a shame what PWE has done to a good game.
This discussion has been closed.