test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Bonding Runestone Changes

Comments

• Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited September 2017
    micky1p00 said:

It's great, but what you want is irrelevant when the Devs positioned an Item to have the best value/return, and where warned about it.
    Again, like I've said in that post, one player can do, is not an indicator of an average expiriance.

The devs made a mistake in making bondings as powerful as they are. There were dire (and correct) warnings on the forum at the time. They made a mistake in letting it go on so long. That makes it hard to make changes now.

They made a mistake in how the changes were introduced. Many players did build around bonding because it gave by far the best return on investment. They should have offered an exchange mechanism for players that wish they had made a similar investment in something else after the change in meta (since they let the brokenness go on for so long).

Many players made mistakes in their reaction. Some assumed a nefarious purpose. Some attacked the devs personally (that's never OK!) Some assumed that something posted in an Official Feedback Thread is written in stone. Some assumed the game will become unplayable by all but some privileged 1%.

At least in the United States, we live in a world where "the other side" is treated as if it's some great evil out to get us. It's an incredible failure when two sides can't have a civil discussion about a point of disagreement and come to a compromise that's reasonable for all.

I'm here as a player to stand up for what I think is right. I will challenge statements that I find factually false. By all means, challenge my statements that you find factually false. I'll respect you for it if you bring facts and civility to the discussion. Don't throw labels on me or anyone else that disagrees with your perspective. That's just wrong.

PS - The skill involved in the R6 video is "keep moving, dodge attack animations, don't stand in red." Nothing more.

PPS - Power transfer is what gives bondings their true power. Watch for that to be addressed at some point. Try to be civil about it, and try to trust that the system designers will rebalance the game as appropriate.

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User

micky1p00 said:

It's great, but what you want is irrelevant when the Devs positioned an Item to have the best value/return, and where warned about it.
    Again, like I've said in that post, one player can do, is not an indicator of an average expiriance.

The devs made a mistake in making bondings as powerful as they are. There were dire (and correct) warnings on the forum at the time. They made a mistake in letting it go on so long. That makes it hard to make changes now.

They made a mistake in how the changes were introduced. Many players did build around bonding because it gave by far the best return on investment. They should have offered an exchange mechanism for players that wish they had made a similar investment in something else after the change in meta (since they let the brokenness go on for so long).

Many players made mistakes in their reaction. Some assumed a nefarious purpose. Some attacked the devs personally (that's never OK!) Some assumed that something posted in an Official Feedback Thread is written in stone. Some assumed the game will become unplayable by all but some privileged 1%.

At least in the United States, we live in a world where "the other side" is treated as if it's some great evil out to get us. It's an incredible failure when two sides can't have a civil discussion about a point of disagreement and come to a compromise that's reasonable for all.

I'm here as a player to stand up for what I think is right. I will challenge statements that I find factually false. By all means, challenge my statements that you find factually false. I'll respect you for it if you bring facts and civility to the discussion. Don't throw labels on me or anyone else that disagrees with your perspective. That's just wrong.

PS - The skill involved in the R6 video is "keep moving, dodge attack animations, don't stand in red." Nothing more.

Where I threw labels ?

Yes, as I've said, I can do it too, for now, If I was 10 years older I probably wouldn't be able to, or if didn't have thousands of hours playing games. It's not something new, or because of bondings, I've always of the opinion that dailies must be casual friendly and easier. And the dungeons (group content in general) harder (requiring team work, etc..).

But this is moot, again, the dungeon is a DPS check, you can be the best dodger, good enough to go naked, and you will fail, because there is a timer, in first it's the Temp HP, and the last it's the souls.
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator

I did test it, and I lost at least 10% crit and have to completely rebuild my character to get it back. I may get there like what 30 million AD? (I can only dream of that much AD) from now.

How much does a loss of 10% crit affect your game play?

That's not a rhetorical question. It's helpful in striking a new balance to see player feedback about how the changes affect the things they do in the game. Is there something you used to win that now you can't? Is something taking 1% longer, 10%, twice as long? The developers acknowledged in their initial post a need to rebalance content along with the bonding change. Specific player feedback helps to strike a good balance.

• Options
    edited September 2017

Just that Augments don't die and give a clear advantage in some content, such as 2nd boss Turtle in FBI or the Stonegazer boss in MSP.

Companion's Gift doesn't fall off just because a companion dies. That used to be the case. Note how the buff icon remains active while the companion is dead and until it begins to respawn. That's one of the "lack of trade-offs" that the previous changes to bonding runestones created.

• Options
    micky1p00 said:

Where I threw labels ?

I'm sorry to be unclear. I wasn't referring to you with that line.

• Options
    micky1p00 said:

Turtle in FBI, second Boss in SP, and last boss in T9G can perma kill companions by throwing them into the water / off the platform.
    FYI, if this happens now on T9G for the dps, it's most likely a wipe, and the group restarts.

Ah, I hadn't noticed. Thanks for clarifying that. I mostly run these days with my DO DC who uses an augment. Definitely bugs that need to be addressed.

• Options
    chris#7087 chris Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    micky1p00 said:

PPS - Power transfer is what gives bondings their true power. Watch for that to be addressed at some point. Try to be civil about it, and try to trust that the system designers will rebalance the game as appropriate.

No I wont, trust that is.

I think after we agree that they made the mistake with dragging the bondings for so long and making the change to begin with. They made the same thing with lostmauth. They made the same thing with classes, and incapable of balancing (for various reasons, like lack of time or priority or what not) and there is a class that's the HAMSTER child that is less wanted for 12 mods in PvE then why you ask me to trust them ?

We warned repeatedly about thing, we warn now. And everyone categorically get all chalked off as doomsayers. Because "the dev knows best" and "trust the devs"

I don't accept blind faith, not here, not anywhere. And it goes both ways, I will not call the devs idiots, or what not, but I will also not accept that they are some geniuses that always have the best solution. Everyone are the same human for better or worse. And trust is earned, and suggestions are judged by their merit, and not by the name attached on the proposal.
    This was no mistake. It was deliberate. Cryptic created this bubble, fostered it, reaped the benefits and is now going to pop it. Moreover, it was probably the idea of some half-wit accountant that spends his/her days looking at spreadsheets that doesn't even play the game. I'm pretty sure there are some very heated debates going on inside the halls at Cryptic between the developers and management, and management is going to win.

• Options
    thrill#1417 thrill Member Posts: 163 Arc User

micky1p00 said:

I am glad you admit culpability and acknowledge compensation is due. I look forward to hearing more about how we will be compensated for the money we spent due to the developers' mistakes.
  • Options
    jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User

micky1p00 said:

Turtle in FBI, second Boss in SP, and last boss in T9G can perma kill companions by throwing them into the water / off the platform.
    FYI, if this happens now on T9G for the dps, it's most likely a wipe, and the group restarts.

Ah, I hadn't noticed. Thanks for clarifying that. I mostly run these days with my DO DC who uses an augment. Definitely bugs that need to be addressed.

They don't have to be bugs.
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    As a Paladin main, I am absolutely expecting a nerf to powersharing.

We need to do decent buffs within the normal range of other support classes. A removal of power share via companion will reduce Pally power buffing by 75%.

I would suggest either changing Aura Gifts to a flat DPS boost or up-scaling the damage from Aura of Courage.

Aura Gifts to a flat DPS is a more predictable/controllable method. Currently, and unlike the DC, GF & MoF CW, an OP's buffs are linked to their gear (power & HP stats) meaning that only a high level OP can buff well. As higher stat gear comes out, pally buffing increases, so a change to a flat buff neutralises this permanently.

AoC is probably simpler - as long as one bug with AoC is addressed: currently, more than one point in AoC only increases Pally damage - it does not increase that done by others in the party.

After fixing the AoC bug it would be easy enough to test & tweak such a small change.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    micky1p00 said:

micky1p00 said:

I'm not sure what this proves or what it's for.

The video is in response to a player that said he can't test the reduced power bondings on Preview because he dies every few seconds in the jungles of Chult without the original bonding stats.

The point is that a toon should not revolve around a single item of gear, and that a well-rounded toon can do just fine in Chult without bondings, indeed without R12 offense/defense enchants. If character power comes from a single gear item rather than layers of abilities and player skill, it devolves to an arcade shoot'em. I don't want Neverwinter to be that.

We live in a climate where people that express an opinion you don't share denigrated (just watch the news for plenty of examples). Rather than calling people that we disagree trolls or whatnot, let's try and understand their point of view.

They needed to correct bonding to allow the game to grow over the next 5+ years. It also the reason why R7/R8/R9 duplicate enchantments & runes are no longer required (which many have been asking for 1-2 years) since they originally went away with R10-R12 when SMOP's were first introduced.

Note a R7 Bonding also starts at 30% augmentation not 20%; yet the augmentation growth is more stable and consistent similar to how power growth.

Still a R14 Bonding represents a greater than 4 to 1 Benefit over a R14 Eldritch. A R14 Bonding will give +1040 to either Offense or Defense but also a 65% Augmentation boost. A R14 Eldritch will provide 25% and only if loaded into a companions 0-3 defensive slots. That's 4x greater benefit before you factor in that bonding gives not only benefits the companion who have 3 to 4 attack powers, but still passes those same benefits along to the player at a far greater rate.

The Augment has no attack powers to trigger the bonding augment boost; but at least now with Eldritch R14 being expanded up to 25% augments are a viable option with this and other Runes. Also depending on a players Class, Feat Choices, or their Companion some (not all) might prefer pairing 2 Bonding Stones with another Rune.

For example:
    You may wish to slot an Empowered to give your Companion greater hit points. Now it's not just a one sized fit's all solution there are finally options to explore based on your Class/Feat Choices/Companion or overall build.
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    strathkin said:

micky1p00 said:

micky1p00 said:

The video is in response to a player that said he can't test the reduced power bondings on Preview because he dies every few seconds in the jungles of Chult without the original bonding stats.

The point is that a toon should not revolve around a single item of gear, and that a well-rounded toon can do just fine in Chult without bondings, indeed without R12 offense/defense enchants. If character power comes from a single gear item rather than layers of abilities and player skill, it devolves to an arcade shoot'em. I don't want Neverwinter to be that.

We live in a climate where people that express an opinion you don't share denigrated (just watch the news for plenty of examples). Rather than calling people that we disagree trolls or whatnot, let's try and understand their point of view.

They needed to correct bonding to allow the game to grow over the next 5+ years. It also the reason why R7/R8/R9 duplicate enchantments & runes are no longer required (which many have been asking for 1-2 years) since they originally went away with R10-R12 when SMOP's were first introduced.

Note a R7 Bonding also starts at 30% augmentation not 20%; yet the augmentation growth is more stable and consistent similar to how power growth.

Still a R14 Bonding represents a greater than 4 to 1 Benefit over a R14 Eldritch. A R14 Bonding will give +1040 to either Offense or Defense but also a 65% Augmentation boost. A R14 Eldritch will provide 25% and only if loaded into a companions 0-3 defensive slots. That's 4x greater benefit before you factor in that bonding gives not only benefits the companion who have 3 to 4 attack powers, but still passes those same benefits along to the player at a far greater rate.

The Augment has no attack powers to trigger the bonding augment boost; but at least now with Eldritch R14 being expanded up to 25% augments are a viable option with this and other Runes. Also depending on a players Class, Feat Choices, or their Companion some (not all) might prefer pairing 2 Bonding Stones with another Rune.

For example:
    You may wish to slot an Empowered to give your Companion greater hit points. Now it's not just a one sized fit's all solution there are finally options to explore based on your Class/Feat Choices/Companion or overall build.
    I have been seriously exploring the possible use of an augment based on these changes and I am actually disappointed. The amount they offer is still not good enough when you bear in mind:

* limited number of augments & functionality
    * limited gear slot types to maximise effectiveness - currently rings are the go-to choice as most decent cloaks, belts etc are artifacts - which cannot be slotted on companions.
    * no attack powers with buffing/debuffing capability
    * no power sharing feedback

People run companions with bondings because they bring a multi-layer benefit and there are a wide selection to choose from. If you want to bring augments to the same level then you need to address these issues.

Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

strathkin said:

micky1p00 said:

micky1p00 said:

For example:
    I have been seriously exploring the possible use of an augment based on these changes and I am actually disappointed. The amount they offer is still not good enough when you bear in mind:

* limited number of augments & functionality
    * limited gear slot types to maximise effectiveness - currently rings are the go-to choice as most decent cloaks, belts etc are artifacts - which cannot be slotted on companions.
    * no attack powers with buffing/debuffing capability
    * no power sharing feedback

People run companions with bondings because they bring a multi-layer benefit and there are a wide selection to choose from. If you want to bring augments to the same level then you need to address these issues.

They do not intend to make Augments superior to other companions but make them viable options for some to consider depending upon their Class / Feat Choices / Companion / Build. A Legendary Augment with 2 defensive Runestone Slots which is the most all but a 'very limited' few have could provide up to 165% augmentation with no attack powers.

They did not want to make the Augment Superior to other companions as one of the DEV's addressed that in the Technical Details thread.
  • Options
    vickvega82#4490 vickvega82 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Leave the bondings alone. it is clear this isnt about game equality and all about selling more coal wards. no one asked for this and no one wants this. listen to your player base. we are speaking quite clearly.
    Limitless is L33t AF
  • Options
    muckingfuppetmuckingfuppet Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    > @strathkin said:
    > > @strathkin said:
    >
    > > I think many people NEED to get on PREVIEW and see where the DPS is on DRAGON verses PREVIEW on the same DUNGEON especially as they 'rework' the recently announced changes to Bondings.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > I think that will have many see the changes aren't as severe as they feared. Keeping the uptime at almost 100% depending on your companion was a major reversal for the players.
    >
    >
    >
    > it's still a back step and a nerf, and just in case you didn't realise IT'S POWER SHARE THAT'S THE PROBLEM! 35k power from my bondings 150k from just one dc and bondings are the problem? my god some people just roll over
    >
    > Well no one is disagreeing they 'may' be a few things to possibly correct with powershare but again they are caused by bondings. My Pally gives 25% of his power if you stay within 30-40' of him for 6s before getting the buff; but he also sacrifices some of his own DPS to earn that buff. You or your companion also loose the buff the second they leave that 30-40' depending on how big his Aura is.
    >
    > So while he has between 25k in power base with peaks from damage (as protection) up to 45k if staying within close proximity you gain 6000 - 11,250 at best but that buff can effect players and companions. Powershare works as originally designed. Yet bonding currently is 9x the benefit to other Runes. So today if the companion gets the buff then today passes 3x to the player that extend almost another 33750 more along to the player.
    >
    > I doubt bondings will change much more than they are currently announced as they are still > 4x more powerful than every other Rune - remember the player & companion both attacking with enchantments & runes that benefit them both as well.
    >
    > Lets hope for your sake give you get your WISH and limit powershare to only players; but don't complain if you loose out on the 33750 (powershare) your gives or effectively doubles his power either.
    >
    > Then you can be happier.

lol not even close, you think your the only one in the team that power shares? with bondings i hit 78k power self buffed, in a team with one op and one dc I've seen close to 300k power, it's power share double dipping thats the problem, stop bondings from double dipping and you stop all this it's that simple, your power share only works when I'm in a group with you what about when I'm playing solo? why should my stats suffer being you want to keep your double dipping power share? by the way double dipping isn't wai
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited September 2017

It takes the develpers a while to get around to things. As you noted, they are addressing bondings almost 2 years later....

I really don't trust things will be rebalanced in any timely way, if at all.

Remember all those dungeons from Mod 6 that were coming back soon???
  • Options
    gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    The fact is, 95% on R12 or R14 bondings will just work fine over the long run. Why? Because there's no need to care about it? Just prevent power share from affecting comps and you'll have something that works well, and doesn't completely break the game in a run with 2x DC or OP.
    Do I have to remind you of this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbg_wAfL4Qc

We all saw what ONE DC can do thanks to @oria1 but that's what more does. OVER 4 BILLION POWER (32 bit limit sets the positive limit at about 2.1 billion, then it goes into the negative all the way back to zero). Now imagine that with the new enchantments and a single DPS class. OHKOing tiamat doesn't sound nice? All possible because of power share.
    Even alone, power share is overpowered.
  • Options
    thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    what's sad is there are still ways to do this and allow for bondings to stay the same and still have enchants go to 14. cap the buffs where ever they need to be and don't have bondings go any higher with the percentages. add some other bonus for 13 and 14 that aren't stat related. let the other enchants go higher. sure they'll be able to be used on the bondings but it will still be in the realm of reasonable unlike the op multiple hitting buff loops going on.

that way we would not be trivializing content, we'd still be seeing progress.. and we would not be seeing the regression that has everyone in a fury.

seriously. people will leave over this. the people who do not leave will be extra tight with the wallets. if you give your player base (customers) what they want.. they'll give you moneies... if you do not give them what they want.. they don't. they go elsewhere.

if things are tight offer a real money subscription with some sort of good bonus. make it not available thru the zen store. make it clear we're supporting the game and keeping silly decisions from being made. I'd pay it. I think most of us would. we're not here because we hate this game. but we do hate the decisions that are being made on our behalf.

please work with us. not against us. lol.

• Options
    Even according to the mods' and devs' reasoning, there's no reason to nerf bondings.
    If it's power creep, nerf power share.
    If it's bondings being the only viable, this changes nothing. No one will ever use augment, because it doesn't get power share.
    So either take away power share, and fix all your issues in one fell swoop, or take away the good bondings and then, when you realize that it's too late, think about what you could have done to prevent the mass exodus. I'll make another video addressing all the issues these new updates have - cover all of it in one video, tho I'll shorten it as to not have problems with uploading a 5GB file like last time.
  • Options
    oria1oria1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 263 Arc User
    When i see people saying "we cant increase the other ruins but we need to tone bonding" (which has SOME validity) but even with toning down bonding is better by a lot and then complain why don't you pick others...

It makes me think that we live in a house that we have have 5 Yogo cars and 1 BMW... and you ask why are we taking the BMW.

As long as those ruins aren't treated somehow equally without tricks like 50% on - 50% off on bonding don't expect much other outcome. and also make the augments proc companion based mount bonuses. IF you even even want to make them have some use.

And if you allow powershare through bonding... good luck !!

• Options
    fogcrowfogcrow Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    It always felt wrong to me, and still does, that putting our best gear and enchantments on our summoned companion gives more stats then putting it on our char. Imo the addition of bonding runestones to the game was a mistake. The value of non-augument companions should come from what they do, not from stats they pass along.
  • Options
    > @fogcrow said:
    > It always felt wrong to me, and still does, that putting our best gear and enchantments on our summoned companion gives more stats then putting it on our char. Imo the addition of bonding runestones to the game was a mistake. The value of non-augument companions should come from what they do, not from stats they pass along.

If that was true then no one would ever use anything but the sellsword/rebel merc/con artist for the debuff. The current system works perfectly.

Also, compressing new vid. It's much longer but it's about the issues that will come with the new updates in general. I'd LOVE to get into contact with one of the developers to argue about this.
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited September 2017

Bonding has 30 duration seconds on preview while tooltip says is 15 seconds.
    In top of that it refreshes .( sorry i cant upload a video low upload)>