test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "New Race(s)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• khangaaxkhangaax Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    I voted for shifter as it should be a interesting class and maybe with a shifter class but I was thinking in voting for goliath of races of stone prestige class. In d&d I was thinking to build a warrior with monkey grip so as goliath by default can wear a 2 hands weapon with 1 hand, with monkey grip could wear one weapon one size higher :D. The weapon would be bigger than the character itself :D

Regards
  • ian#2922 ian Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I went with Gnome, a classic from 1st edition.

But, based on the races introduced in-game, I wouldn't mind Duergar, as well. We've got plenty of different types of elves, and even two different kinds of Drow, so it would be neat to have another dwarf race. (And Duergar-as-PCs has been around as long as the Barbarian class, first showing up in Unearthed Arcana.)
  • maatmonsmaatmons Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I'm not sure if any of these guys ever made it out of 3rd edition, but here are some of my favorite player races. (Edit 1: Okay, I figured out how to do spoilers, so that massive block of pictures should be less annoying now.)

Bakemono

photo Bakemono_zps92097df1.jpg

Notable for being the only basic race in 3rd edition with a -8 racial penalty to intelligence.

Beguiler

photo Beguiler_zps98bf35d9.jpg

Faun

photo Faun_zps69e89802.jpg

Grippli

photo Grippli_zps4946ae62.png

Hairy Spider

photo HairySpider_zpsf721a5ff.png

Okay, the the part where these were listed as a player race was almost certainly a typo. Since they can't speak, understand speech, or manipulate objects, and they have the mindless quality. But, come on, playable tarantulas!

Jermlain

photo Jermlain_zps6f3803a3.jpg

One of the few basic races that only comes up to a halfling's waist.

Kenku

photo Kenku_zps1d03d140.jpg

Khepri

photo Khepri_zps365279ea.png

A female-only race.

Kobold

photo Kobold_zpsffbe81ca.jpg

Okay, these guys definitely made it into later editions. I don't know how they were done there, but they had some neat options in 3rd edition. For example, kobold clerics of Kurtulmak gained the ability to see and disarm traps. It would be interesting if you implemented kobolds as having the innate racial ability to see and disarm traps. Kobold rogues could get some kind of extra bonus, like seeing traps further away.

Neraphim

photo Neraphim_zps9abafdec.jpg
    Unlike grippli, these guys come from a different plane. Also, they're more toad-looking than frog-looking.

Muckdweller

photo Muckdweller_zpsd185adfd.jpg

Another basic races that only comes up to a halfling's waist.

Nezumi

photo Nezumi_zpsb974f3a0.jpg

Phanaton

photo Phanaton_zps1570056e.png

I'd actually forgotten about the tiny, gliding-monkey dudes, but aren't they adorable?

Shalarin

photo Shalarin_zps39c6beee.jpg

If I recall, this is the only basic race in 3rd edition that can neither breathe air, nor move around on land. I'm sure that won't be too much of a problem though.

Tiefling

photo Tiefling_zps1719703e.jpg

These guys probably made it into later editions too. I just always liked the way this picture envisioned them.

Tortle

photo Tortle_zpsb4f18e1b.png

I was always disappointed how these guys were printed a couple months before warforged, so they didn't get to poach that built-in armor idea.

Xvart

photo Xvart_zps2a7fc432.png

Remember when some guy on the internet mistakenly wrote “-1” for the level adjustment of this race? And everybody thought you'd get a free level for playing one? Good times.
    Post edited by maatmons on
    Sorry for the double-post, but the forums actually wouldn't let be edit this into the last post. “507 characters too long.”

dughal said:

I'm probably the only one, but I'd like to see Giff.

Wow. And here I thought I was pulling out obscure races.

bioshrike said:

we already have Tieflings

Oh, we do. I forgot about them, probably because I can't stand to look at the game's version.

Seriously, did you see the 3rd edition tiefling picture I posted. Cute as a button with cloven hooves and tiny little horns. I don't know why 4th edition decided to go with “super-generic devil-person” as the look for all of them.

Be cool to have a Undead version to all races.

quethalaz said:

I would like to see Race of Undead and mostly a Necromancer class

Like the good old 3rd edition necropolitan template! Of course, here you'd have to release necropolitan (human), necropolitan (elf), necropolitan (dwarf), et cetera.

mavloc said:

Please make Illithid a playable Race!!!

That wouldn't be a bad tie-in if they ever introduce a psionic class. Certainly better than elan, whose appearance is literally “like a human, but with red hair.”

firdraing said:

was there some kind of an invasion of dragonborns that made half of the world's races almost extinct?

Well, in 3rd edition, all dragonborn were originally born as members of another race, then got turned into dragonborn later. So yes, suddenly having dragonborn everywhere instead of the other races is very fitting.

jyotai said:

But again Naga have never showed up in D&D as either playable, or even done correctly for the source material.

The shinomen naga from 3rd edition were playable (with LA and RHD) and were supposed to be a closer fit to Asian lore. Did they screw those up too?

photo Shinomen Naga_zpslvqmfw8f.jpg

half dragons thus renamed to steal from Elder scrolls Dragonborn

Half dragons are what happens when a dragon and literally any other creature love each other very much. Dragonborn are what happens when a human/elf/dwarf/etc. who worships Bahamut undergoes a ritual to be more like his god.

Seriously, “guy who mutilates self due to religious fanaticism” is nothing like “guy whose papa was a dragon,” and you're doing a disservice to us all by comparing them. I'd be offended if I didn't think you were simply ignorant. Actually, I'm still kind of offended.

Just because you mutilate something and change its name...well yea, its still that thing.

And just because 4th edition decided to remove everything that made dragonborn who they are and replace it with something bland and generic doesn't mean you get to **** all over the 3rd-edition writers' work by saying “dragonborn are just half-dragons.”
  • jade456usjade456us Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 32 Arc User
    Minotaur or Gnome. Good with either one.
  • mistalowmistalow Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    Phanaton and Faun would be great. Im really hoping for some bizzare looking race.
  • vis87vis87 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I think Shifter would pair well with Druid. I would also love to see Warforged. Construct Guardian Fighter would look awesome.
  • saiuriefayesaiuriefaye Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    VAMPIRE
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2017

VAMPIRE

Keep in mind, as we've said many times, this is neither a race nor a class. Vampirism and Lycanthropy are once again afflictions that almost any race (and class) are subject to. Neverwinter "could" introduce such as a class or race, but that would go against lore and probably be something of a large debate at WotC to allow. I'd rather see such introduced in a manner like ESO did, where any race and class could contract one of the afflictions.

• zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    I would like some beast races to be added. I'd definitely play as a gnoll or kobold (assuming you update the model for player versions. I don't want my mouth hanging open 24/7).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • urtew3urtew3 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    since we already had the paladin and gf being bothers and sisters that I was thinking how they should make next the Erinyes and how they should make it the next sister to the Tiefling from Helm's Hold and if we cant have that or the hellfire magus that I wouldn't mind the next race being Aasimar or kobold since I wasn't sure how they would fit in with the dragonborn
    Post edited by urtew3 on
  • reapertime1066reapertime1066 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Aliens with a ufo mount

Aliens with a ufo mount

You probably meant that as a joke, but …

photo spelljammer_zps69xjmtc1.jpg
  • blackoctoberblackoctober Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    By virtue of their sheer off-the-wall bizarreness, I'm gonna have to say Modrons.

• frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    Aww... Almost 2 years down... still nothing? :/

I'm not sure if it's 'safe' to reroll to a drow now...
    FrozenFire
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    Zeb, you go that nailed for ESO's vamps and shifters, you told them, and i had also told them.
    i just assume some of them were thinking of "masquarade" as part of vampyre castes or trait clans, too complex for several rpg mmos.
  • I love everything about Drow. Please make drider <3
  • mousebreaker85#4641 mousebreaker85 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    Shade would rock
    Githzerai monk would be another race/class I'd love to play
  • safespacecadet#3341 safespacecadet Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    If it's not gnome next, I don't care. But more classes are way more important.
  • jganthjganth Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    Genasi would have been a great addition if it were timed with the Elemental Evil mod release. Another lost opportunity!
  • celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    Gnomes. It is not D&D without player character gnomes.
  • kasyee#8951 kasyee Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    I think Aasimar is the only good choice right here and something we really lack in game.
    Why?

1) We are lacking wisdom+charisma or wisdom+strenght race. We have no race that is compatibile with clerics besides humans to be quite honest. Every other class has its "recommended" and "fitting" race besides human. And human is supposed to fit everything. Clerics need their good choice too!

2) Im sure more people will pay for a pretty race. I didnt purchuase dragonborn mainly becuase they're so damn ugly and I hear many people has this problem with them too.

So please, please add Aasimars.
    edited April 2017
    Dragonborn is just sooo ugly... had me rolling! They do have a toadface.
    A pretty race? Like California beach bunny as a choosable race with rollerblades or anime kitsune or neko .. yeah I would buy it!

Gnomes. It is not D&D without player character gnomes.

I know, right? It's not Krynn, so we can't have Kinder. Also, it's not D&D without bard and druid.
  • trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    I would like to see whatever race that comes out be one that looks much more monsterous and inhuman than most of the races already avalable. I voted for the minotar though there are some things I would like to see even more. I figured it would be better to vote for the one I like the most out of that list because whatever custom ideas put fowards are not as likely to gain traction. Unless a lot of people have the same idea but I doubt it.

Here is an idea, why not release 2 races at once? Races are easy to keep balanced because they do not add a lot, unlike classes. The second race offered should probably be one that is optimal for healers.
    Post edited by trgluestickz on
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    --[----- "Your friendly neighborhood spawn of Satan." -----]--
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Character: Hurricane Marigolds (Rogue WK & Assassin)
    Ingame Handle: trgluestickz
    Discord Name: Hurricane🌀Marigolds#2563
    Guilds: She Looked LVL 18 & Essence of Aggression
    Alliances: Imperium & Order of the Silent Shroud
    Platform: PC
  • waywardwizard#4349 waywardwizard Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    So many people want to be tiny :disappointed:
  • kasyee#8951 kasyee Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I doubt many people would play gnomes. I mean they may love the idea, but in the end I think it would be the same as dragonborns -> too ugly to play.

I just need a pretty race with wisdom + str, wisdom + cha. Would definitely pay for that.

I doubt many people would play gnomes. I mean they may love the idea, but in the end I think it would be the same as dragonborns -> too ugly to play.

I just need a pretty race with wisdom + str, wisdom + cha. Would definitely pay for that.

I see a lot of people playing dragonborns. Maybe you just don't hang out in the right part of town.

• waywardwizard#4349 waywardwizard Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    I want large humanoids with helmets. That is the only reason I dont make all my chars dragonborn.

Just like my pal Lans the Goliath
    @waywardwizard#4349
    Large humanoid with helmet

http://i.imgur.com/Z0VGE1w.jpg

Check