test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "New Race(s)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• onodrainonodrain Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    I chose the gnome. How can you have a proper gnome punt or throw unless you have them?
  • number13deathnumber13death Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    How about Shadar-kai (the only race that can out edge the Drow) or Kenku (let me be a crow man)?
  • artgardo#9806 artgardo Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Shadowdancer is something cool too. Waiting for new ))
  • junglestreakerjunglestreaker Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Tabaxi has my intreast.
    My Class is Druid ... "I am the seeker. I am the stalker. I am the storm."
  • astrotiger5astrotiger5 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    I have an non-AD&D race, Horusite...a flightless race with falcon-head and a human body...after the Egyptian god Horus.
  • omegarealities#7219 omegarealities Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    A Canin would be fun. Similar to the Dragonborn (D&D) or the Khajiit (from Elder Scrolls). But from the ones listed I would go with the minotaur.
  • adamantineangeladamantineangel Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    Lich/Baelnorn.

Seriously, after YEARS of hearing D&D lore about Wizards and Elves turning themselves into Lich/Baelnorn, and encountering them in nearly every videogame based on D&D, why is this still not available to D&D players.

Technically, any undead classification could apply (vampire, ghoul, zombie, mummy, ghost, ghast, etc.) but Lich/Baelnorn is the apex predator in the undead world who have sucessfully retained any true intelligence.

And yes, this could be an optional race unlock in character creation, but could also be unlocked by existing characters via choices made during story-based missions.

Wizard/Elf: Intentional transformation storyline.

Other classes/races: Accidental transformation "Don't touch that, you fool! (ZAP!)" storyline, or "Oh HAMSTER, I'm cursed!" storyline.

(Would require an undead graphical representation for Undead Dragonborn, Undead Tiefling, Undead Dwarf, and Undead Halfling. Poison Potions would be needed to "heal" undead players since regular Healing Potions could now inflict damage. Also, seeing npcs' varied but predictable reactions to a "friendly Lich" would in itself be well worth the effort.)
  • preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    Conditions would be a really fun addition to the game, even if only cosmetic, and could each have side quests to get and then remove the condition
    Vampire
    Other Undead
    Lycanthrope
    Plague-Changed
    Shadow
    Symbiotic Parasite affected
    Infected by Spores
    Lich

Keep in mind, to become a Lich you would have to spend a lot of money, resources and time, plus sacrifice a being half your age... which might mean you'd have to delete a lower level alt
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2017

I have an non-AD&D race, Horusite...a flightless race with falcon-head and a human body...after the Egyptian god Horus.

That's not as far-fetched of a wish as some may think. The Egyptian Dieties do have influence in the Realmsphere, mainly in the region known as Mulhorond where almost the entire populace pays homage to the Egyptian Pantheon and is where the founders of Thay came from. Hence why Thayan architecture and culture is similar to that of Mulhorandi culture which is based on Ancient Egypt.

• thegreatgyanthegreatgyan Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    My comment has a few things to say about this.

1) If i could choose more than one on this poll, it would be aarikocra, minotaur, and warforged.

2) why so low aarikocra votes? They are humanoid eagles that aid us agaisnt the elemental evil. Cmon, why would you not want to play as an eagle?

3) It's been nearly 2-3 years since the last time we've seen a new class and race. I don't know why it's taking forever for it to be possible, but i really that both of these happen very soon. I don't want to compare this game or company to other games and the developers, but geez, new expansions left and right, but no new race or class. It's very disappointing for me to see.
  • nakkuchhannakkuchhan Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Did someone mention the Catfolks? http://vidshomepage.weebly.com/cat-folk-35-ed.html
  • avalanche616avalanche616 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    I cast my vote for Satyr / Hamadryad from the 4th edition: Heroes of the Feywild.

Satyrs would be perfect for Bard/Skald/ Hunter Ranger and look great. only male option.

Hamadryads would be the equivalent to a benevolent Poison Ivy and would have amazingly interesting powers. only female option.

(I should have read the disclaimer thoroughly because my selection is for all purposes, a throw away. Still, I stand by my vote for race. I want Satyrs.)
  • dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    I just realized the poll didn't have any Goblins or Lizardmen or gnolls or some of the other races that have been player races in the pen and paper game.
  • ultimatebladerv1ultimatebladerv1 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    I'm a big TR fan and changelings would be awesome for that.
  • talelordtalelord Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Please minotaur
  • blackwolftundrablackwolftundra Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    the next race that I would personally would dig over the new race thread would be the Erinyes of Belial for how i have been waiting so long for them to be added to the game for how i think they would go great as a sister and brother to the Tiefling race in my option
  • gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User

the next race that I would personally would dig over the new race thread would be the Erinyes of Belial for how i have been waiting so long for them to be added to the game for how i think they would go great as a sister and brother to the Tiefling race in my option

That's like making a chocolate retriever race while you already have a golden retriever. Besides, in the lore, Erinyes are lawful evil, and you can't have a character who servers Belial and neverwinter.
  • labruslabrus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 18 Arc User

That's like making a chocolate retriever race while you already have a golden retriever. Besides, in the lore, Erinyes are lawful evil, and you can't have a character who servers Belial and neverwinter.
    That is why i think they should make another planetouched race such as Aasimar or Genasi for the next one.
    Also i don't understand why so many people want Minotaurs, a race that is known to see all other humanoids as a foodsource, is killed on sight in civilized areas and chaotic evil?
    Team Fencebane
    Belphegor Fiendspawn and Ragnar Lodbrok to yer service
  • gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    labrus said:

That is why i think they should make another planetouched race such as Aasimar or Genasi for the next one.
    Also i don't understand why so many people want Minotaurs, a race that is known to see all other humanoids as a foodsource, is killed on sight in civilized areas and chaotic evil?
    Mmmmh, Genasi could be a bit too complicated but other planetouched could be great. Maybe Goliaths, with +4 bonus STR or CON, as they'd make great tanks or GWFs. Maybe even Killoren, if they intend to expand any of the old campaigns (sharandar in that case). Minotaurs as a race would most definitely be true, but then it wouldn't be canon.
  • hypervoreianhypervoreian Member Posts: 1,036 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    I want Kobolds .They are the most adorable NPCs in the game and the most rich in character.From a technical point of view,they are easy to make.No protracting facial characteristics(in the game).So we will not have Dragonborn effect again(no helmets)

They are superb metalworkers.
    Add to them-in game- a bonus to Mw proffesions.They will sell as hot cakes.
    Not to mention all the pvpers that will turn into Kobolds just for trolling.

Mikril and Rhinx need company.Bring Kobolds please :)
    "They are things to be done!! "
    "Are you impresssssed with my mastersssss trickssss? "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T7kD1FglGc
  • paarethpaareth Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Aasimar, Warforged, or Minotaur were my top picks.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    I'd still very much LOVE to see something similar to a Race &/or Class similar to the Kalashtar as they likely have two very uniquely different paragon's that would be similar to how a HR fights specializing in Melee or Ranged except it's instead more Psychic / Martial Arts attributes similar akin to almost Monks with a unique discipline and while there are others of various Races accepted into their Class many hail from within a closely knit group from their mostly Human like Race.

Within the Class they follow the Path of the Light or the Path of the Shadow's - I think it be nice to see something from the Kalashtar taken and adapted into Neverwinter for a possible new Class &/or Race.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalashtar
  • oclosoclos Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    I've made a comment on my prefered races 2 years back(and I'm certainly sticking with at least having Minotaur as a viable one, though Aasimar, Githzerai etc are still close) as I've just searched, but add to that, that imo, they should add most races they have made companions for(e.g. Kenku) cause I think it logical(plus they already have some animations for them, during the making of companions process). Cause A/D& D is all about player choices and I think races-wise we should have the most we can.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

3) It's been nearly 2-3 years since the last time we've seen a new class and race. I don't know why it's taking forever for it to be possible, but i really that both of these happen very soon. I don't want to compare this game or company to other games and the developers, but geez, new expansions left and right, but no new race or class. It's very disappointing for me to see.

So, the devs mantra for the ridiculously lengthy delay in releasing new races/classes has been "they need to acheive balance".

2 + years later, they are still working on that. And if you read the forums, almost every class has a gripe right now about something having to do with 'balance'. So the excuse for not releasing new classes and races continues.
  • astrotiger5astrotiger5 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    I have another non-AD&D races, a humanoid Triceratops (dinosaur race)...not only combat you as a human(oid), but can gore you like a minotaur!
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User

I have another non-AD&D races, a humanoid Triceratops (dinosaur race)...not only combat you as a human(oid), but can gore you like a minotaur!

Actually, that's not "non-AD&D" at all! Say hello to the Saurials, specifically Hornheads. Here's another link for more info. They are already in the Forgotten Realms even and a hero from 1st Edition was a Saurial Paladin named Dragonbait.

They are a little "communication challenged", but can throw down with the best of'em. I'd be into it.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    zebular said:

labrus said:

titanhuga said:

vampire or werewolf

I believe that under current DnD rules, Vampires and Were-creatures are considered status conditions and not races, thus not implementable for new races in game.
    Correct. Vampirism and Lycanthropy are inflictions now and once again as they originally were and, in my opinion, should always have been. They are neither a race nor a class. In the Realms and 5th edition, almost all mortal races are susceptible to vampirism and lycanthropy, but not both at the same time. If WotC allows though, Cryptic could implement a specific race or class outright as a Vampire or Lycanthrope, but I don't see them allowing it outright as a Class or Race. I'd rather see them allow any playable race and class in the game become a Vampire or Lycanthrope, in a manner in which ESO already has implemented, which is very similar to how it works in 5th edition.

Well if they are willing to add vampirism they should use the Mystaran Nosferatu.
    http://www.pandius.com/nosferat.pdf
    http://www.pandius.com/nosferat.html
    http://pandius.com/nsferatu.html

Greatest problem with vampires is they can't go out in the sunlight, Because of their need to Drain life energy of the living it turns them universally evil but there are some vampires not evil just very rare. Yet with a Nosferatu they only need to Drink blood . Can sustain on animal blood and basically this version is able to be any alignment and go out in the sunlight as well . Could give it the ability to transform into a raven or a bat, while raven during the day and bat during the night. Nosferatu can be given depending on the zone the ability to summon Ravens or Bats. If they do it right they could balance it. But maybe prevent it from being used in Normal Pvp.

Now for lycanthropes they had one character origin in one of the neverwinter campaign setting books being a wererat deserter. Now it would be interesting for them to add this playable option to the game. They have wererats and they could add this as a possible option them.. I do feel they could do natural werewolves too but need a much better werewolf model personal opinion.

Dispite Kobalds being a lot of the time evil, since they are in the game, having them as a playable option many for rpers would be not so bad. I'm sure plenty of people would play them if it was a racial option.
    Having a more humaniod looking tiefling with small horns, wings and succubus like tail would be another interesting option to be added.
    Aasimar and Gnomes should be added at a later point.
  • ninjanykoninjanyko Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    i would like to see tabaxis join the neverwinter line up of playable races