test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The "New Race(s)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• Options
    majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    Based on the selection available, I just had to go with gnomes since they're one of the original core playable races within D&D before the "brain trusts" at WoTC wrote them out in 4e. I am starting to become partial to the idea of kobolds based on a few arguements arakk00 presents in his thread making the case for them. I'll pass on the Warforged, however.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • Options
    kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    If you play with life steal gems/artifacts, and use life drinker and blood theft enchants, you're pretty much a vampire already.

I have a gf toon set up that way. It's a fun alternative to the dread/frost/vorpal options that are so common.
  • Options
    banye#9885 banye Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Im new to this game and I've also only recently gotten into D&D with the 5th edition player's handbook and Sword Coast Adventurers Guide, but my favorite race in the forgotten realms by far is the Rock and Forest Gnomes. I was more than a little put off by the fact that I couldn't pick my favorite race in this game. Given that Gnomes are the only 5th edition player handbook race not yet included in Neverwinter, I really hope they get added.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Gnomes weren't included because Wizards of the Coast decided to drop a bomb on D&D and FR when they made Fourth Edition.

Gnomes were ousted from being one of the core races, dozens of favored gods such as Mask were murdered for no reason and the timeline was instantly advanced 100 years so any humans in novels died overnight. The icing on the cake was that they changed how magic worked and decided to kill many wizards or at least make them brain dead even if they would have survived the 100 years.

Thankfully they listened to the outrage at, if at nothing else, the senseless destruction of the lore.

Fifth Edition lore was the result of WotC going to the authors who made the lore over the last thirty years and saying "Help us Obi-wan Kenobi, you're our only hope." They came in and waved a magic wand that reverted much of the changes other than the time jump. FR is still scarred from the ordeal but it is back where it should be.

However, since Neverwinter was designed based on 4E we still have no gnomes...for now.
  • Options
    thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Gnone and Shifter, would be nice. But pretty much give the shifter traits of wererats. Even the abilty to turn into a hybrid form. That way we can have wererat charaters ^^ Also yes Kobold should be a race added as playble as well.
    Well heres another thing exotic races, they could add Succubus, for a lockbox race. and a Eryires as another lockbox race.
    Satyr/fawn, Nymph. Many different choices. They don't have to stick by core races. They could add differant types.
    Also Centaurs, I would like to see, give them the restriction from using any mount but they could make them count as both character and mount.
  • Options
    kallephi#0836 kallephi Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited January 2017

Gnomes weren't included because Wizards of the Coast decided to drop a bomb on D&D and FR when they made Fourth Edition.

Gnomes were ousted from being one of the core races, dozens of favored gods such as Mask were murdered for no reason and the timeline was instantly advanced 100 years so any humans in novels died overnight. The icing on the cake was that they changed how magic worked and decided to kill many wizards or at least make them brain dead even if they would have survived the 100 years.

Thankfully they listened to the outrage at, if at nothing else, the senseless destruction of the lore.

Fifth Edition lore was the result of WotC going to the authors who made the lore over the last thirty years and saying "Help us Obi-wan Kenobi, you're our only hope." They came in and waved a magic wand that reverted much of the changes other than the time jump. FR is still scarred from the ordeal but it is back where it should be.

However, since Neverwinter was designed based on 4E we still have no gnomes...for now.

Fourth Edition is the same as 5th-7th Storm King's Boons, a bad joke
    Ly'saaera, Hellbringer Fury Scourge Warlock of Thieves World
    Hælja, Swordmaster Conqueror Guardian Fighter of Thieves World
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    I am not sure what you are referring to @kallephi#0836 but there are only 5 Editions of D&D and Fifth is drastically different than Fourth. Or you could say Fourth is drastically different from the rest as the others share far more similarities in lore and rules IMO.

I think you might be referring to Neverwinter module releases based on your reference to Storm King's Thunder or maybe module releases for Fifth Edition itself but it is definitely nothing regarding what I said. :)
  • Options
    kallephi#0836 kallephi Member Posts: 281 Arc User

I am not sure what you are referring to @kallephi#0836 but there are only 5 Editions of D&D and Fifth is drastically different than Fourth. Or you could say Fourth is drastically different from the rest as the others share far more similarities in lore and rules IMO.

I think you might be referring to Neverwinter module releases based on your reference to Storm King's Thunder or maybe module releases for Fifth Edition itself but it is definitely nothing regarding what I said. :)

I meant that the 4th (fourth) edition of D&D is a bad joke like the 5th, 6th and 7th boons from Storm King's Thunder in Neverwinter game xD
    Ly'saaera, Hellbringer Fury Scourge Warlock of Thieves World
    Hælja, Swordmaster Conqueror Guardian Fighter of Thieves World
  • Options
    mikaleus#7208 mikaleus Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    I'd like to see Genasi or Goliath.

Goliath would make a fun choice for great weapon fighters, hunter rangers and if ever released, a Druid (for that Shaman type feel).

Genasi I'm not sure how they would implement the race. I'm thinking it would be more like the elves given we have wood, sun and moon options. Id like to see fire Genasi with say an ability that has an % chance of igniting an enemy with flames, and then have an Earth Genasi that may come with a damage resistance racial trait.

I'm also hoping to see more deities as options. I was surprised that when Dragonborn race was made available that there was no option to have Bahamut as your chosen deity. Minor for some, sure, but a nice little immersion for people into the lore etc.
    That said, if Genasi were released I'd love to Kossuth and Grumbar as deity options.
  • Options
    szerevaxszerevax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 33 Arc User
    I'd like to play as a forgotten creature from the ancient age - Sarrukh, another description.
  • Options
    khangaaxkhangaax Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    I voted for shifter as it should be a interesting class and maybe with a shifter class but I was thinking in voting for goliath of races of stone prestige class. In d&d I was thinking to build a warrior with monkey grip so as goliath by default can wear a 2 hands weapon with 1 hand, with monkey grip could wear one weapon one size higher :D. The weapon would be bigger than the character itself :D

Regards
  • Options
    ian#2922 ian Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I went with Gnome, a classic from 1st edition.

But, based on the races introduced in-game, I wouldn't mind Duergar, as well. We've got plenty of different types of elves, and even two different kinds of Drow, so it would be neat to have another dwarf race. (And Duergar-as-PCs has been around as long as the Barbarian class, first showing up in Unearthed Arcana.)
  • Options
    maatmonsmaatmons Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I'm not sure if any of these guys ever made it out of 3rd edition, but here are some of my favorite player races. (Edit 1: Okay, I figured out how to do spoilers, so that massive block of pictures should be less annoying now.)

Bakemono

photo Bakemono_zps92097df1.jpg

Notable for being the only basic race in 3rd edition with a -8 racial penalty to intelligence.

Beguiler

photo Beguiler_zps98bf35d9.jpg

Faun

photo Faun_zps69e89802.jpg

Grippli

photo Grippli_zps4946ae62.png

Hairy Spider

photo HairySpider_zpsf721a5ff.png

Okay, the the part where these were listed as a player race was almost certainly a typo. Since they can't speak, understand speech, or manipulate objects, and they have the mindless quality. But, come on, playable tarantulas!

Jermlain

photo Jermlain_zps6f3803a3.jpg

One of the few basic races that only comes up to a halfling's waist.

Kenku

photo Kenku_zps1d03d140.jpg

Khepri

photo Khepri_zps365279ea.png

A female-only race.

Kobold

photo Kobold_zpsffbe81ca.jpg

Okay, these guys definitely made it into later editions. I don't know how they were done there, but they had some neat options in 3rd edition. For example, kobold clerics of Kurtulmak gained the ability to see and disarm traps. It would be interesting if you implemented kobolds as having the innate racial ability to see and disarm traps. Kobold rogues could get some kind of extra bonus, like seeing traps further away.

Neraphim

photo Neraphim_zps9abafdec.jpg
    Unlike grippli, these guys come from a different plane. Also, they're more toad-looking than frog-looking.

Muckdweller

photo Muckdweller_zpsd185adfd.jpg

Another basic races that only comes up to a halfling's waist.

Nezumi

photo Nezumi_zpsb974f3a0.jpg

Phanaton

photo Phanaton_zps1570056e.png

I'd actually forgotten about the tiny, gliding-monkey dudes, but aren't they adorable?

Shalarin

photo Shalarin_zps39c6beee.jpg

If I recall, this is the only basic race in 3rd edition that can neither breathe air, nor move around on land. I'm sure that won't be too much of a problem though.

Tiefling

photo Tiefling_zps1719703e.jpg

These guys probably made it into later editions too. I just always liked the way this picture envisioned them.

Tortle

photo Tortle_zpsb4f18e1b.png

I was always disappointed how these guys were printed a couple months before warforged, so they didn't get to poach that built-in armor idea.

Xvart

photo Xvart_zps2a7fc432.png

Remember when some guy on the internet mistakenly wrote “-1” for the level adjustment of this race? And everybody thought you'd get a free level for playing one? Good times.
    Post edited by maatmons on
  • Options
    Sorry for the double-post, but the forums actually wouldn't let be edit this into the last post. “507 characters too long.”

dughal said:

I'm probably the only one, but I'd like to see Giff.

Wow. And here I thought I was pulling out obscure races.

bioshrike said:

we already have Tieflings

Oh, we do. I forgot about them, probably because I can't stand to look at the game's version.

Seriously, did you see the 3rd edition tiefling picture I posted. Cute as a button with cloven hooves and tiny little horns. I don't know why 4th edition decided to go with “super-generic devil-person” as the look for all of them.

Be cool to have a Undead version to all races.

quethalaz said:

I would like to see Race of Undead and mostly a Necromancer class

Like the good old 3rd edition necropolitan template! Of course, here you'd have to release necropolitan (human), necropolitan (elf), necropolitan (dwarf), et cetera.

mavloc said:

Please make Illithid a playable Race!!!

That wouldn't be a bad tie-in if they ever introduce a psionic class. Certainly better than elan, whose appearance is literally “like a human, but with red hair.”

firdraing said:

was there some kind of an invasion of dragonborns that made half of the world's races almost extinct?

Well, in 3rd edition, all dragonborn were originally born as members of another race, then got turned into dragonborn later. So yes, suddenly having dragonborn everywhere instead of the other races is very fitting.

jyotai said:

But again Naga have never showed up in D&D as either playable, or even done correctly for the source material.

The shinomen naga from 3rd edition were playable (with LA and RHD) and were supposed to be a closer fit to Asian lore. Did they screw those up too?

photo Shinomen Naga_zpslvqmfw8f.jpg

half dragons thus renamed to steal from Elder scrolls Dragonborn

Half dragons are what happens when a dragon and literally any other creature love each other very much. Dragonborn are what happens when a human/elf/dwarf/etc. who worships Bahamut undergoes a ritual to be more like his god.

Seriously, “guy who mutilates self due to religious fanaticism” is nothing like “guy whose papa was a dragon,” and you're doing a disservice to us all by comparing them. I'd be offended if I didn't think you were simply ignorant. Actually, I'm still kind of offended.

Just because you mutilate something and change its name...well yea, its still that thing.

And just because 4th edition decided to remove everything that made dragonborn who they are and replace it with something bland and generic doesn't mean you get to **** all over the 3rd-edition writers' work by saying “dragonborn are just half-dragons.”
  • Options
    jade456usjade456us Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 32 Arc User
    Minotaur or Gnome. Good with either one.
  • Options
    mistalowmistalow Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    Phanaton and Faun would be great. Im really hoping for some bizzare looking race.
  • Options
    vis87vis87 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I think Shifter would pair well with Druid. I would also love to see Warforged. Construct Guardian Fighter would look awesome.
  • Options
    saiuriefayesaiuriefaye Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    VAMPIRE
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2017

VAMPIRE

Keep in mind, as we've said many times, this is neither a race nor a class. Vampirism and Lycanthropy are once again afflictions that almost any race (and class) are subject to. Neverwinter "could" introduce such as a class or race, but that would go against lore and probably be something of a large debate at WotC to allow. I'd rather see such introduced in a manner like ESO did, where any race and class could contract one of the afflictions.

• Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    I would like some beast races to be added. I'd definitely play as a gnoll or kobold (assuming you update the model for player versions. I don't want my mouth hanging open 24/7).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    urtew3urtew3 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    since we already had the paladin and gf being bothers and sisters that I was thinking how they should make next the Erinyes and how they should make it the next sister to the Tiefling from Helm's Hold and if we cant have that or the hellfire magus that I wouldn't mind the next race being Aasimar or kobold since I wasn't sure how they would fit in with the dragonborn
    Post edited by urtew3 on
  • Options
    reapertime1066reapertime1066 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Aliens with a ufo mount
  • Options

Aliens with a ufo mount

You probably meant that as a joke, but …

photo spelljammer_zps69xjmtc1.jpg
  • Options
    blackoctoberblackoctober Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    By virtue of their sheer off-the-wall bizarreness, I'm gonna have to say Modrons.

• Options
    frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    Aww... Almost 2 years down... still nothing? :/

I'm not sure if it's 'safe' to reroll to a drow now...
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    Zeb, you go that nailed for ESO's vamps and shifters, you told them, and i had also told them.
    i just assume some of them were thinking of "masquarade" as part of vampyre castes or trait clans, too complex for several rpg mmos.
  • Options
    I love everything about Drow. Please make drider <3
  • Options
    mousebreaker85#4641 mousebreaker85 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    Shade would rock
    Githzerai monk would be another race/class I'd love to play
  • Options
    safespacecadet#3341 safespacecadet Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    If it's not gnome next, I don't care. But more classes are way more important.