Official Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger changes

Comments

• Options
    wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    jaegernl said:

@amenar
    New Swiftness is awfull.

Nice idea, but is really bad...

Elaborate. Why is it bad? Works too well? Doesn't work at all?

I spent the whole day on the Preview server and it was working really well for me. Takes a bit of getting used to compared to the old system, but it's just as fluid and quick once you get used to it. I really like it.
    ghoulz66 said:

feedback: make flurry stacking up to 3 times, extend flurry to 4 sec

Increasing the duration further warrants it's damage nerfed. It already hits hard enough when you know what you're doing.

Improve Split Strike's AoE to cover a wider area for hitting targets in front of you. Tweak damage to be more in line with Rapid Strike/CtG. Though difficult to judge the damage buffed needed as it strikes much slower than those two. That way Pathfinder isn't completely left in the dark for AoE coverage.

I'll be the judge of that when these changes hit the xbox, I wish I had a PC to test my Builds on.

Certain rotations can and will have cool downs now on the xbox, so once these changes hit I wonder if it will be good or bad. Until I can test my characters myself I just wont know.
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    wdj40 said:

jaegernl said:

@amenar
    New Swiftness is awfull.

Nice idea, but is really bad...

Elaborate. Why is it bad? Works too well? Doesn't work at all?

I spent the whole day on the Preview server and it was working really well for me. Takes a bit of getting used to compared to the old system, but it's just as fluid and quick once you get used to it. I really like it.
    ghoulz66 said:

feedback: make flurry stacking up to 3 times, extend flurry to 4 sec

Increasing the duration further warrants it's damage nerfed. It already hits hard enough when you know what you're doing.

Improve Split Strike's AoE to cover a wider area for hitting targets in front of you. Tweak damage to be more in line with Rapid Strike/CtG. Though difficult to judge the damage buffed needed as it strikes much slower than those two. That way Pathfinder isn't completely left in the dark for AoE coverage.

I'll be the judge of that when these changes hit the xbox, I wish I had a PC to test my Builds on.

Certain rotations can and will have cool downs now on the xbox, so once these changes hit I wonder if it will be good or bad. Until I can test my characters myself I just wont know.
    in single target is better...damage is way down because throned roots is having problems.
  • Options
    thatsmeaswellthatsmeaswell Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 60 Arc User
    Marauders escape sometimes does not work. It just lets you jump from left to right for several times without getting any distance. The same counts for marauders rush. I think it behaved like this before but cant really tell because i did not use it for several mods
  • Options
    patcherrkmpatcherrkm Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    amenar said:

hawkend said:

@amenar

It's not about Hawkeye with damage buffs. It's all about debuffs. Damage ticks from Hawkeye contain sum of ally's debuffs. So, If warlock get on Soul Scorch 1000% effectivness then damage tick from hawkeye will get this same effectivness.

Thanks for the clarification, looking into it now.
    rayrdan said:

@amenar BUG_ THORNED ROOTS IS NOT LASTING FOR FULL DURATION WHEN MASTER TRAPPER IS ACTIVE.
    to replicate the bug proc master trapper and use thorned root (costricting arrow for example). I do not have ANCIENT ROOTS. Damage x tick seems reduced too.
    Works fine but with reduced damage taking ANCIENT ROOTS.

BUG: AMBUSH still puts you out of stealth if a dot is on going.
    SOURCE OF THIS BUG: INSIGNA BONUS MAGISTRATE'S PATIENCE AND CAREFULL ATTACK PROCS.

Looking into these next.

The german feat descriptions are the same as before/ on live. The powers work as you described so i think its just a localization issue which will be adressed in a later patch or even after the launch of m10? Can you confirm this?

Translations aren't back yet.

@amenar

Quick question: - Combat HR - If you do a melee crit, will higher crit severity, mean that "piercing blades" does more damage?

Or is the "piercing blades" damage calculated before crit damage? Looking at the combat feats, it seems that a higher crit percentage is part of the equation (+50% severity), but game calculations might be different. It really determines whether a combat HR should go high crit, or just straight power.

Thanks!

Piercing Blades would use the crit damage. It effectively says "how much damage would you hit for without resistance?" (which is the number you see in the combat log in parens when you deal damage to a target with DR) and then deals 50% of that.
    @amenar - The change back to piercing will likely make the Combat HR viable again. I didn't see it in the patch notes, eager to test. Next week to test?
  • Options
    jhpnwjhpnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 611 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Only played Path finder this time due to wanted to run exactly how I normally play for now
    trapper 4269 IL pathfinder
    BUGS:::
    Thorned roots are not doing near damage they used to they are doing less per tick and they are canceling out when other feats are being used over all damage for total fight down 35% on roots

grasping roots in combat logs on everything they do shows o damage and o on every thing they trigger tested in WOD and IWD

Cordon in a long fight starts applying 0 damage it actually says cordon o damage in logs only fixes it when change zones .

Issues:

You really feel the max 5 hit on cordon in IWD HES takes longer to clear a large he and I am taking damage due to over all less damage getting hit by 8 t0 10 monsters a time. this will kill us in TIA Or Dungeons runs like VT or CN

Careful Attack does very little damage in crowd now. pathfinder tree done no reason to go there now

forest meditation cancel is unreliable

Dodge is just ok not great
    changes to SOTF a lot worst for killing mobs even with dailies and at wills timing is off from switching around may be able to over come a good bit of this with practice. But I will not be able to use the rotation I play the most constrict binding and cordon

Aimed shot thought don't expects it to stay like this. There will be QQing to beat the band in PVP

changes to SOTF a little better for fights against single target

Needs
    remove 5 max monsters hit with AOEs like cordon. We no longer can go with continuous spamming encounters because It has been reduced to where you have to incorporate a disruptive or slashers and a rapid shot or 2 to clear cool downs now this is loss of damage for trapper

fix so roots damage is back and does not get cancelled so can test encounter flow right now trapper has lost a lot of overall damage

Rapid shot needs damage boost now aimed shot will work for Archer but wont work for Trapper aimed takes to long. and does not work with smooth flow of trapper
  • Options
    treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Ignore this post.

• Options
    treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User

Marauders escape sometimes does not work. It just lets you jump from left to right for several times without getting any distance. The same counts for marauders rush. I think it behaved like this before but cant really tell because i did not use it for several mods

Yes it did when the target becomes untargetable marauder's rush startes the animation but doesnt finish it, i dont think there may be a resonable fix for this as you cant predict if the target will be targateable or not when you reach to him, the only solution for this would be making the power to retrace the rout each milisecond for example to follow the target and make a always certain hit.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    @jhpnw sadly there is no use for aimed shot too in pvp, reworked gf still one rotates you if you stand still for 1 second. just tested vs taylor...however i had 25% chance to kill him thanks to longshot being 26% of my damage...better than the last 3 mods for sure. Noticed to change of what so ever nature to dodge performance compared to last mods.
    @amenar is there a chance to reduce thorn ward animation quite a bit?
    About healing depression: forgot to say that healing mounts are not affected by depression too
  • Options
    genjundeadgenjundead Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    jhpnw said:

Only played Path finder this time due to wanted to run exactly how I normally play for now
    trapper 4269 IL pathfinder
    BUGS:::
    Thorned roots are not doing near damage they used to they are doing less per tick and they are canceling out when other feats are being used over all damage for total fight down 35% on roots

grasping roots in combat logs on everything they do shows o damage and o on every thing they trigger tested in WOD and IWD

Cordon in a long fight starts applying 0 damage it actually says cordon o damage in logs only fixes it when change zones .

Issues:

You really feel the max 5 hit on cordon in IWD HES takes longer to clear a large he and I am taking damage due to over all less damage getting hit by 8 t0 10 monsters a time. this will kill us in TIA Or Dungeons runs like VT or CN

Careful Attack does very little damage in crowd now. pathfinder tree done no reason to go there now

forest meditation cancel is unreliable

Dodge is just ok not great
    changes to SOTF a lot worst for killing mobs even with dailies and at wills timing is off from switching around may be able to over come a good bit of this with practice. But I will not be able to use the rotation I play the most constrict binding and cordon

Aimed shot thought don't expects it to stay like this. There will be QQing to beat the band in PVP

changes to SOTF a little better for fights against single target

Needs
    remove 5 max monsters hit with AOEs like cordon. We no longer can go with continuous spamming encounters because It has been reduced to where you have to incorporate a disruptive or slashers and a rapid shot or 2 to clear cool downs now this is loss of damage for trapper

fix so roots damage is back and does not get cancelled so can test encounter flow right now trapper has lost a lot of overall damage

Rapid shot needs damage boost now aimed shot will work for Archer but wont work for Trapper aimed takes to long. and does not work with smooth flow of trapper

grasping roots is not suppose to do damage. if you are talking about thorned roots please specify for that and not say grasping. grasping is either weak or strong and trappers don't use strong grasping roots but instead thorned.

@amenar i agree with removing the 5 player target limit or at least increase it to 10 since their are a lot of moments when i am fighting 15 to 20 mobs solo and can only hit 5 of them.

though i agree an encounter only playstyle is nice putting in a daily power here and thier is fine but if you want to just run encounters increase your recovery and crit strike
    one way to fix the cooldowns without breaking game mechanics is to allow thorned roots to have a melee and range variation. just like deft strike allow thorned roots to not stack but have a melee and range dot version. though stacking to 3 would fix their damage output. i think trappers damage is fine. not only having a melee and range version of thorned roots dot be good for cooldowns it would also bolster their damage.

EDIT: removing target limit or making a thorned roots dot version melee and range are both good ways to fix cooldown issues.
    you can either do one of these ideas or both.
    since both increase dps and fix cooldown problems for trappers.
    removing target limit fixes problems for hr's as a whole
  • Options
    zonoske#5272 zonoske Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    @rayrdan your using trapper long shot?
  • Options
    i just tested swiftness of the fox on test server and it's doing a fantastic job. anyone having trouble with their rotations is doing something wrong. its working people!
  • Options
    amenaramenar Member, NW_CrypticDev Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Hey all -

I spent some time looking at Hawkeye, and I can't see anything where it's not doing what I expect. Do you have some specific examples of what you are seeing that is wrong?
    rayrdan said:

@amenar BUG_ THORNED ROOTS IS NOT LASTING FOR FULL DURATION WHEN MASTER TRAPPER IS ACTIVE.
    to replicate the bug proc master trapper and use thorned root (costricting arrow for example). I do not have ANCIENT ROOTS. Damage x tick seems reduced too.
    Works fine but with reduced damage taking ANCIENT ROOTS.

BUG: AMBUSH still puts you out of stealth if a dot is on going.
    SOURCE OF THIS BUG: INSIGNA BONUS MAGISTRATE'S PATIENCE AND CAREFULL ATTACK PROCS.

I could not reproduce the Thorned Roots/Master Trapper issue, with or without Ancient Roots. It always played the full duration, and my damage wasn't doing anything weird with either case. Do you have any more information?

Ambush breaking with those 2 powers turned out to be problems with those individual powers. I have fixed both of them to not break Ambush.
  • Options
    ralexinorralexinor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    @amenar

Bit hard to test solo. I think you should see it happen if you use plaguefire or dread.

I will test hawkeye and hawkshot further tonight, don't have access to the game right now.

Furthermore, regarding permadaze:

The problem with it is less the dazes (crushing roots) themselves, and more the frequency of the dazes due to trapper's cunning procing it and swiftness of the fox resetting cooldowns. The standard rotation in pvp is fox shift, hindering shot and constricting arrow.

At this point since swiftness is likely not to be changed in pvp, the only solution is to put an icd on crushing roots. While you stated making things pvp only is not desirable, an icd may break it in pve. So the only solution for now is to put an icd of 3 seconds on weak roots and 5 seconds on strong roots, possible increasing both to 5 seconds, if at all possible, in pvp only.
  • Options
    @amenar
    would it be broken to have aimed shot cripple the enemy is some way. like slow or apply weak grasping roots. and have the tier upgrades bolster this effect instead of whatever aimed is right now in preview. also how is aimed shot in preview?

another idea for aimed shot is increase crit chance and severity with each tier upgrade and have the tooltip description be about aiming at enemies head. i think making aimed shot the ideal at will is not a bad idea but not worth it even if your not interrupted when using it. rapid strike and shot shoot be the main at wills you are trying to force us to use or split shot and slit strike. hrs need speed and mobility and standing still is dangerous; though i do that all the time.

also funny how no one has mentions cold steel hurricane, though forest ghost was mentioned. if i use either of these skills the animation is just too long and i end up die'ing before i get a chance to use either. animations should not be long for an hr or else high chance of death is at the door. yes theirs timing in how you do things but for casual players and for players who want to think their casual like me just something more on the line of mobility for hr, no matter what tree we choose.

also what about dodge mechanics?
    did the dodge get a change in how stamina is consumed? i would prefer less stamina consumes about 5%.
    did the invulnerability frames get fixed? cause their are a lot of times when i dodge or other hr's dodge and they still get hit.
  • Options
    ralexinor said:

@amenar

Bit hard to test solo. I think you should see it happen if you use plaguefire or dread.

I will test hawkeye and hawkshot further tonight, don't have access to the game right now.

Furthermore, regarding permadaze:

The problem with it is less the dazes (crushing roots) themselves, and more the frequency of the dazes due to trapper's cunning procing it and swiftness of the fox resetting cooldowns. The standard rotation in pvp is fox shift, hindering shot and constricting arrow.

At this point since swiftness is likely not to be changed in pvp, the only solution is to put an icd on crushing roots. While you stated making things pvp only is not desirable, an icd may break it in pve. So the only solution for now is to put an icd of 3 seconds on weak roots and 5 seconds on strong roots, possible increasing both to 5 seconds, if at all possible, in pvp only.

though i don't pvp often; when i do i never managed to daze a single person. but as i pve my dazes barely last long enough on live servers, would be nice to have better dazes for pve, but maybe that is already fixed in preview servers i cant remember what the post said a while ago. should nerf crushing roots any further. instead change how tenacity affects cc so that pve players wont be ruined too far.

since i don't wear pvp gear i am always perma controlled from every class. and die in seconds and cant even do .01% of their health cause of all the healer they do. now if i did wear pvp gear i might last 10 seconds to run away but other then that i would still not be able to kill the casual pvp'ers/ let alone the bis pvp'ers. i might not get perma controlled either since i am actually wearing gear for what i am playing with. but i prefer pve so i wear pve gear.
  • Options
    @amenar thorned roots bug additional details:
    I had slotted a transcendent dread enchant
    I was fighting vs a dummy
    My feats were these ones

http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/hr?b=1oa5:k6rwk5:8dep:5tb7d,13k3iii:1uu0u00:1000000:1uu50z1&h=0&p=swd&o=0

Resulting ticks: 4

When using these other feats:

http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/hr?b=1oa5:k6rwk5:8dep:5tb7d,13k3iii:1000000:1000000:1uu5zzv&h=0&p=swd&o=0

Resulting ticks: 11 as expected
  • Options
    gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    @ralexinor : do you think that applying Crushing Roots to Strong Grasping roots only would be an acceptable solution PvP wise? In PvE I think it would work as usually if you're in such dire need of control that you have to slot Crushing roots you usually slot Constrictive and Hindering anyway. In this way you can have a control burst going Constrictive then Hindering Strike then Dazing Strike (or in a different order) but then you'll have a gap.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • Options
    @gabrieldourden

It would be a start but it wouldn't solve the issue, because again, it's the frequency of the dazes and the majority of them are from strong roots, namely constricting arrow and hindering strike, as well as disruptive shot. Since reducing the effectiveness of swiftness of the fox is pvp doesn't seem to be probable or desirable, then crushing roots should be changed. I don't really like this honestly as I think crushing roots as a standalone feature is fine, it's just trapper that causes this. Removing weak roots from the equation would help a little bit, but overall it won't help that much. There needs to be an icd if swiftness isn't changed.
  • Options
    amenaramenar Member, NW_CrypticDev Posts: 90 Arc User
    So, looking at what I could realistically do for preventing the perma-daze build without affecting PvE, one possible solution would be something to the effects of:

In PvP, you may only be affected by Crushing Roots once every 3 seconds.

Both the amount of times, and the duration, could change to whatever makes sense. 3 times in 10 seconds, once every 5 seconds, etc. We still need a better "real" solution to CC in PvP - which won't happen in the immediate future - but at that point, maybe this limiter could come off.

Note that this is not a patch note yet, just asking for your feelings about something like this as a means to prevent more brokeness in PvP.
  • Options
    gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    @rayrdan : the results you mentioned are pretty much those I would expect. Without ancient roots the base duration is two seconds so two ticks, with Master Trapper it goes to 3.2 which I guess is enough to get the fourth tick (even if I think 3 should be right). With Ancient Roots then you go to a base duration of 7 seconds then buffed to 11.2 seconds by Master Trapper so 11 ticks.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • Options
    @gabrieldourden control duration no longer affects thorned roots number of ticks which are by the way fixed to a cap (the normally expected 11 ticks) by the capstone effect master trapper. You should now see 11 ticks with and without ancient roots but its mot working like that. The slight damage difference i reported is probably just caused by power difference between live and preview. I indeed have 6k power less
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    @amenar

That would work fine, but as per gabriel's post could you remove weak grasping roots from it? Or change the duration of the daze to be the same duration for both. But having a global 5s icd would be great. 3s isnt really enough i think, 5s is more appropriate.
  • Options
    scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    @Amenar, could you check the healing insignia bonuses to make sure that they are getting bonuses from the player's incoming healing stats? i didn't realize when i alerted you to the fact they were bugged to not be subject to healing depression that they also didn't boosted by incoming healing.
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • Options
    zonoske#5272 zonoske Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    I'm wanting to know how combat tree is looking in PvP. Has anyone tested?
  • Options
    Ok times to go archery have come xD
  • Options
    amenar said:

So, looking at what I could realistically do for preventing the perma-daze build without affecting PvE, one possible solution would be something to the effects of:

In PvP, you may only be affected by Crushing Roots once every 3 seconds.

Both the amount of times, and the duration, could change to whatever makes sense. 3 times in 10 seconds, once every 5 seconds, etc. We still need a better "real" solution to CC in PvP - which won't happen in the immediate future - but at that point, maybe this limiter could come off.

Note that this is not a patch note yet, just asking for your feelings about something like this as a means to prevent more brokeness in PvP.

Here are my feelings. I am an HR. But I also fight HR's. I'm sure they hate when I daze them and vice versa. It's annoying. It makes the game far less fun when you are just locked up and useless. I am perfectly fine with and its understandable to remove or limit it. But, maybe also look at some of the crazy HAMSTER the oppressor CW can pull off. Lockup for days! Rogues can chain smoke bomb with high recovery. And once you are out of the smoke bomb they go invis, then they smoke bomb you again. Not fun. Feel useless. So unless you're planning on taking out the ridiculous stuff other classes do which imho, ruin the enjoyment, then maybe hold off on nerfing the HR's annoying aspect.
  • Options
    @amenar i would generally be ok with that crushing roots change but before that roots have to actually work. Either remove their reduction thanks to elven battle for exemple. Ok not dazed but at least controlled somehow. Roots should have a sensible effect on archery and combat too, for those 2 paths roots are a dream in both pve and pvp since their effect is really negligible
This discussion has been closed.