test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

OverPowered GWF's

lelandhilllelandhill Member Posts: 7 Arc User
Am I the only one thats getting a little tired of getting massively out DPS'd by GWF's on all my characters that I've spent alot of time, effort and money on? It's just a little frustrating when my 3.2K HR get's out DPS'd by a 2.4K GWF thats still using his Mulhorand Sword. I have a GWF as well and I enjoy playing him, but it just doesn't seem fair that the character I've spent countless hours on (my HR) is only "on par" with the GWF that I just got to 70 2 weeks ago.

Comments

• Options
    hammbo1969hammbo1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
    As a solo player, I don't mind the GWF being OP - in fact in some cases it's been very helpful as a GWF has saved my bacon a few times when I get aggro in some HE's. I may be in the minority by saying that classes being OP or UP doesn't really bother me.
  • Options
    blinxonblinxon Member Posts: 567 Arc User

I have a GWF as well and I enjoy playing him, but it just doesn't seem fair that the character I've spent countless hours on (my HR) is only "on par" with the GWF that I just got to 70 2 weeks ago.

True...it doesnt seem fair. A GWF can controll like a HR, dodge like a HR, can stand far away from mobs/bosses to deal damage like a HR, etc...etc...true true...what a unfairness.
    Its funny if some one tries to compare 2 complete different classes.
    But i try it serious:
    What kind of HR do you play?
  • Options
    taitinhakkaajataitinhakkaaja Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    You are not only one tired of gwf massive dps. Massive nerf is needed to make it balanced in pve and pvp. But it ain't gonna happen, cause we are still waiting for SW balance which was promised almost a year ago. We just have to live with it :(
  • Options
    instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    I have spent two years getting my GWF to where he's at. He's earned every point of DPS.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • Options
    vida44vida44 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 667 Arc User

Am I the only one thats getting a little tired of getting massively out DPS'd by GWF's on all my characters that I've spent alot of time, effort and money on? It's just a little frustrating when my 3.2K HR get's out DPS'd by a 2.4K GWF thats still using his Mulhorand Sword. I have a GWF as well and I enjoy playing him, but it just doesn't seem fair that the character I've spent countless hours on (my HR) is only "on par" with the GWF that I just got to 70 2 weeks ago.

Yeah, since GWF's primary task is healing the group so the DPS just doesn't make sense right?
  • Options
    clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User

I have spent two years getting my GWF to where he's at. He's earned every point of DPS.

And what about those that spent two years doing the same for another class only to have them being pea shooters now ? You actually have earned nothing, besides picking the correct class when you started.
  • Options
    Comparing massive, heavily armed and armored fighters to someone wearing pajamas and shooting arrows is, I'm afraid, apples and oranges.

There are some HRs in my Guild that always score massive DPS when we're in dungeons... but, most importantly, they have other feats and skills that make for quicker runs.

Someone has to be tops at DPS. Sorry it's not HR. But, I love having a skilled HR in the party.. it makes my job just that much easier.

header.png
  • Options
    clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User

Comparing massive, heavily armed and armored fighters to someone wearing pajamas and shooting arrows is, I'm afraid, apples and oranges.

There are some HRs in my Guild that always score massive DPS when we're in dungeons... but, most importantly, they have other feats and skills that make for quicker runs.

Someone has to be tops at DPS. Sorry it's not HR. But, I love having a skilled HR in the party.. it makes my job just that much easier.

Since when are the heaviest armoured classes supposed to be the highest dps ??? It shouldn't be the GWF, the highest dps should be the glass cannon - not a hybrid tanky class. The highest dps should thus be the SW, TR or HR (yes, because they are made of glass).
  • Options
    I was illustrating a point.

But, of course, you're right. I'm wrong.
    header.png
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    Well, (bear in mind that I am not actually advocating this, but since the reasoning here seems to be armour type, or other ridiculous things..) where is my CW's invulnerability sphere, improved invisibility and time stop???
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    You cant compare pure DPS and say, that one class is OP. It depends on content, gear and tactics.

Look at your average PuG epic demigorgon run. Many times, you will have one or two BIS or near to BIS GWFs on top of paingiver list. Is it a sure triple gold win, no.

Now take a group with a perma bubble OP, tanking averything and a rightous DC. If your DDs are not a total waste of IL or aiming for the black circles in the 2nd phase, you are golden.

HR has more group utility, than GWF, so he should have a lower DPS, than the GWF. I play with a 3.5k+ dmg HR. His dps in near to the dps of similar geared GWFs. Without a healer or a dedicated tank the HR can slot fox shift and help his group survive the boss fight. The GWF cant do this.

My rightous DC get outhealed by renegade CWs many times. The 'bubble' OP can carry a bad geared group, the AP DC can make him a perma bubble OP. Switch that combo with ITF GF and rightous DC and you will either fail (with a bad group) or be done with the dungeon in half of the time, due to all the buffs/ debuffs provided.

There are two problems IMO. One is the fixation on paingiver and the other one is balancing personal dps with group utility.

BTW, fastest epic Demo runs I have ever done, ITF GF, HV renegade CW, HP rightous DC, bubble OP and some dps. If you take 10 player+ runs, no damage dealer can contribute more, then a rightous HP DC or a HV renegade CW, due to the fact, that most of the buffs effect all of the players and even a buff of average 30% for 10 players has more effect, then a GWF who does twice the average dmg.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    blinxon said:

I have a GWF as well and I enjoy playing him, but it just doesn't seem fair that the character I've spent countless hours on (my HR) is only "on par" with the GWF that I just got to 70 2 weeks ago.

True...it doesnt seem fair. A GWF can controll like a HR, dodge like a HR, can stand far away from mobs/bosses to deal damage like a HR, etc...etc...true true...what a unfairness.
    Its funny if some one tries to compare 2 complete different classes.
    But i try it serious:
    What kind of HR do you play?
    Ok now you're being anal. Why can the OP not compare the damage between 2 strikers, regardless of one being melee and the other ranged? GWF has everything that a HR can only dream of and then some. Dodge? I think the vast majority of us would take GWF sprint over our broken-as-HAMSTER dodge.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options

Since when are the heaviest armoured classes supposed to be the highest dps ??? It shouldn't be the GWF, the highest dps should be the glass cannon - not a hybrid tanky class. The highest dps should thus be the SW, TR or HR (yes, because they are made of glass).

Your so damn right. A GWF can controll and heal. I hope all GWFs think about it and make what they have to do:
    Running in circles around foes and try to make them dizzy and heal the grp. I wonder why they dont read their abilites. Its clear they got tons of CC skills and tons of heal skills. I never understood why they think they are a dps class.
    And im talkin about pve. In pvp they are so OP they can kill all players on map. They only have to type in chat "Kill all".
  • Options
    vida44vida44 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 667 Arc User
    asterotg said:

There are two problems IMO. One is the fixation on paingiver and the other one is balancing personal dps with group utility.

I would say only 1 problem, "The fixation on paingiver".
  • Options
    pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    - Destroyer (the GWF you guys talk about) IS a glass cannon. It got no survivability in epic dungeons unless the GWF itself outgears the content by far AND got massive Life Steal through gear and guild boons. The build itself IS a glass cannon, just a bit more survivable than a SW because, you know, GWFs fight in melee range dodging read areas way more.
    When you see a GWF off-tanking or surviving more it usually involves high gear, with high life steal to sustain. Example: you can see that 4k Lazalia's GWF soloing eCC boss, does it with a different setup with lower DPS, tank enchants and still might die if he just makes 1 mistake.
    Compare it to a tank (GF/OP) that can take on red areas with no problem through shield and tanking mechanics that are by far superior to a GWF Unstoppable. A Destroyer is NOT a tank by far.

- If your HR is a trapper then sorry, that is NOT the HDPS tree of rangers. That's the control/ utility tree. So comparing it to a full DPS path is not going to work. You must have a full PvE DPS build to compare.

Now, these things aside, about balancing the class:

- Other non-tank/ non-healing classes, in current builds, bring:

A) 10x more CC compared to a destroyer (trappers and CWs)
    B) 1/2 the DPS of a full DPS GWF, usually.

Destroyer GWF brings:

A) 2x DPS of other classes.
    aaaand...

Period.

Now, if you just "massively nerf" the class and build over your personal paingiver frustrations, you ruin the class.

I understand that, like in the past, many players don't care cause they do not main a GWF. But the class itself brings no utility to a group and also has very bad mechanics that are NOT WANTED in a group.
    We already got this discussion with commanderdata and a couple of guys clearly stated that if it wasn't for the very high DPS they bring, they would NEVER invite a GWF in group because the marks sometimes mess up the aggro, for example.

If you make destroyers same DPS as a CW or trapper to make them happy, why would a player bring a GWF to a group? When inviting a CW or a trapper HR, they get same DPS+massive CC?

You can ask for full DPS paths to get closer in DPS to a Destroyer, depending on what else they bring to the party.
    If they bring DPS only, like SW Fury hellbringer, for example, then it's normal to ask for that path to deal same damage.

Asking for a CC build to deal the same damage, instead, is wrong.

In my opinion:

HR stormwarden archery tree
    CW MoF if the path gets no CC AT ALL.
    SW Helbringer Fury

must have same DPS as a Destroyer GWF.
    Anything that brings more CC, utility or party buff to the group, must be BELOW.

I think this is pretty standard common sense. With incoming nerf to paladins, CC will be needed again and if a CC class/ build can deal the same DPS, or close, to a Destroyer with 0 CC, the class will be unwanted.

So put your GWF-hatred and bias to the side and instead of shooting "GWF needs massive nerf", try to thing about what can be done to improve balance and what other classes and builds bring to a group.
    If you are a trapper then what about thinking: ok, he deals double my DPS but 0 CC, while i lock groups of mobs for several seconds and interrupt them.
    Same for CW crowd control. I've yet to see a PvE CW with zero CC like a destroyer. So why should these builds have the same DPS or close, while they output strong CC while a Destroyer brings 0 CC or other utilities to the group?

Assuming that it's a FACT that GWF "secondary tank" or "off-tank" supposed role applies mainly to the useless sentinel (not to the pure DPS Destroyers) and is, plain and simple, not wanted. Cause groups that need a tank ask for a tank. The off-tank gets in the way of the main tank and nothing else, right now.

So if you massively nerf Destro GWFs damage, how do you compensate the lack of any other utility or addition to the group, the path brings? The only thing i can think about is to MASSIVELY buff Battlefury buff (to self and % given to group) to get closer to GFs into the fray. But right now BF buff to group is laughable.

So if you just nerf Destro's DPS, you kick the entire class out of PvE groups. Expecially once the OPs are balanced and new, heavier content comes in module 9.

You must compensate. If you care about balance and are not just after some personal Paingiver fetish.
  • Options
    I really like how you try to explain why its dumb to say "nerf this class", pando. I dont want to do it anymore. All your points are well known, but you can read every week at least 1 thread with this stupid crying about "meeeh...GWFs make to much dps...meeeehh...". No one thinks for a secound. So for me its better to makin jokes about theese ppl.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    One feat in the top tree for GWF provides more utility than both Archery and Combat combined. You know, the one that prones a target when you crit, and as a GWF using the only viable build out there, you crit a HAMSTER-tonne so you're prolly proning every 5-10 seconds if there is no CD on the feat. My scrub GWF with 1.9 IL prones mobs a lot with only 46% crit.

Oh and I have just 1 point in that feat, forget its name.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    krymkackrymkac Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    The main problem is that destroyer buffs are way too generous. As results - 20k+ hits from lost set & OP aura of courage. Those buffs really should work only with gwf personal dmg since all other dps classes get pure weapon dmg. Other than that gwf doesnt really need any nerfs. Without heavy gear/sh boons its a glass cannon. Flanking maneuver feat gives some cc but not nearly enough to turn the tables. Personally i would like to see more dmg from encounters less from at wills spam but thats just a matter of taste. About hr trapper not being a dps hr tree & some mythic full dps hr spec... nice joke.
  • Options
    tantrumusmaximustantrumusmaximus Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Who cares who is #1, was the dungeon run successful? Why is it always screaming for nerfs? When they do nerf Cryptic each and every time overdoes the nerf and that class sucks afterwards thanks to the whiners. There isn't a balance ever it's like some random number they decided on without any playtesting at all, look at CWs, used to rock, the meteor spell rocked, now it's blaa, Singularity was fun.

I just wish for ONE SINGLE TIME, instead of doing the "easy" thing and nerfing a single class to death, circle around and BUFF other classes. Nobody likes a sniper scope nerf when they are the recipient. Once you bring other classes in line then just modify the content difficulty a little to cope with the overall adjustments.

The problem is "that is a lot of work."

In the end it's a game we all love to play, we've all put time into our characters/alts etc... nerfing one class is not the best answer... bring some other's "UP" just a suggestion.
  • Options
    tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    pando83 said:

If your HR is a trapper then sorry, that is NOT the HDPS tree of rangers. That's the control/ utility tree. So comparing it to a full DPS path is not going to work. You must have a full PvE DPS build to compare.

Yes it is known that archery hunter outdamage the trapper tree.
    There is the same difference between a 2.4K GWF and 3K2 trapper HR than between a 2.4 HR trapper and a 3.2K Archery HR.

Trapper IS the damage tree because archery sux now because lostmauth set.
    GWF rox because of lostmauth set ( And too HIGH damage on the weapon)
    The problem is the lostmauth set.

And the problem won't be solved because of the new mount with the same effect that...lostmauth set....

• Options
    edited December 2015
    lirithiel said:

One feat in the top tree for GWF provides more utility than both Archery and Combat combined. You know, the one that prones a target when you crit, and as a GWF using the only viable build out there, you crit a HAMSTER-tonne so you're prolly proning every 5-10 seconds if there is no CD on the feat. My scrub GWF with 1.9 IL prones mobs a lot with only 46% crit.

Oh and I have just 1 point in that feat, forget its name.

No good destroyer uses flankin manouver in pve. And your proning 1mob if you crit with flankin manouver....yeah..thats really a "awesome" CC skill. And best part: Most mobs in T2 dungeons are nearly immun to stuns. Maybe GWFs should wear some controll gear instead of DPS gear?

• Options
    edited December 2015
    pando83 said:

- Destroyer (the GWF you guys talk about) IS a glass cannon. It got no survivability in epic dungeons unless the GWF itself outgears the content by far AND got massive Life Steal through gear and guild boons. The build itself IS a glass cannon, just a bit more survivable than a SW because, you know, GWFs fight in melee range dodging read areas way more.

Pando, you're forgetting one very important factor weighing greatly in favour of GWF, which is Unstoppable. That Tab function alone makes the GWF exceptionally more survivable than the aforementioned classes.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• Options
    lirithiel said:

Pando, you're forgetting one very important factor weighing greatly in favour of GWF, which is Unstoppable. That Tab function alone makes the GWF exceptionally more survivable than the aforementioned classes.

Do you mean that "thing" that is bugged since ages? Good point....
  • Options
    pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    lirithiel said:

I am not forgetting it. I specifically mentioned it, if you read carefully.
    Unstoppable does not allow a GWF to tank a T2 dungeon alone.
    Try to tank a group of mobs with Unstoppable alone in a T2 and see how much you last.

It's life steal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDKPahguUwY

Look at unstoppable temp HP. They last SECONDS. And this is a 4k GWF. You want really to compare THAT to a GF shield or a OP, or even empowered AS from DC?

What you see there is that even with current T.Fey AND T.Negation, survivability comes from high lifesteal. Unstoppable just gives some time to make Lifesteal work.

Can a 2k GF properly specced/ played, and a 2k OP or 2k DC, tank a group of mobs in a T2? Yes, they can. I play a 2k tank DC too sometimes. They can.
    Now, throw a 2k GWF with low LS or no LS into a group of mobs and look how Unstoppable "tanks" them.

But, also, when players say "massively nerf GWF damage", they never mention that that nerf AKA self-buffs nerfs (since GWF base damage is the lowest), also affects survivability, being:

A - a massive lifesteal nerf since less damage = less life steal (on toons that get enough of it from gear since GWF gets no LS from feats)

B - You mentioned Unstoppable right? Nice. A massive self-buffs nerf will result in...a massive Unstoppable Temp HP huge nerf since they scale with...DAMAGE BONUS.

Why GWF works like this? Cause players whining in module 3 made the devs change the class into a more "proactive" class. Basically the only class that have to "earn" every inch of buffs during the fight.
    Unstoppable was "too strong, too passive". Players whining in module 3. So now we have Unstoppable defensive capability directly linked to damage buffs, which are earned "proactively" during the fight and stacked to buff the pityful base damage of GWF powers (try to hit things with an unbuffed GWF and tell me if it hits even remotely as hard as a CW/HR/TR-any other class/ base damage).

I'm sorry to say this but as long as i read uninformed whining over GWF nerf with no COUNTER-BALANCE propositions, and NO MENTION OF THE CONSEQUENCES AND INTERACTIONS ON OTHER ASPECTS OF THE CLASS, i will just take these posts as pure, uninformed rant from Paingiver feticists that know nothing about the class in depth.

You can't really expect to be taken seriously if you tell me "massively nerf GWF damage, they can already tank through unstoppable" without considering the above interactions AND the sinergy between eLoL set and GWF weapon damage and self-buffs (which alone gives the GWF an advantage not due to the class itself, but due to interaction with an OVERPERFORMING ITEM).

Still waiting a serious balance thread about GWFs. All i read around the forum is uninformed whining while ignoring the 30538583494839493 times i mentioned the core mechanics/ real issues/ interactions and consequences of only nerfing GWF damage, and how balance should really be done.

Most players just do not care. It's not their class, they want to top paingiver, so they thow on forums these one-sided suggestions which are just toxic for true class balance.

And i do not want to see another module 4 nerf happening. I already know from Module 4 that whiners do not give a f. if the class gets ruined. When GWFs were overnerfed in module 4 nobody gave a f., after all the "we want balance!!!ONE111!!!" talk during module 3.

Come up with real balance discussions and we will discuss. Not this brainless, uninformed whining.
  • Options
    tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    blinxon said:

lirithiel said:

As in it never works...ever? Aye good point indeed. Now move along and go troll some other threads.

Ok..ill try it srly:
    A GWFs need incoming damage/fights for unstoppable and need to fight so close as he can in trash/Bossfights to maximize his dps. So he must move A LOT to avoid red zones if he got no unstoppable ready and in the meantime when the GWF is runnig in circles the rest can make dps/CC. I dont think you know that much about GWFs, dont you?
    A GWF can only make really good DPS when he usese his selfbuffs like unstoppable/daggers/daring shout/Battle fury. If you use theese skills wrong and you dont have a critbuild you do same dps as a CW/HR/TR. Lemme know when your ready to talk serious about GWFs. Thx a lot.

The gwf is not the only to move in order to escape red zone, CW HR TR have too....
    But he is one of the few classes that can stay in.
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    At the end of the day, I am fine with the situation until I see....."LF4M GWF's" you know, like mod 5 and CW's. That is when you know something is wrong.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    I wish the HR had unstoppable. Wish the damn class had a reliable dodge at least.
  • Options

The gwf is not the only to move in order to escape red zone, CW HR TR have too....
    But he is one of the few classes that can stay in.

Only if he activates unstoppable. And since our cry babys got theyre perm bubble OP, no one avoids red zones and GWFs cant get unstoppable. Sry...i leave thes thred now.

• Options
    schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User

Well your HR can root(daze) /so controll and do dps give party Useful buffs btw (those are awesome fox/boar/oak).

BTW i prefer HR cuz they really usful when it comes to buff/and controll then CW's .
    Most CW's dont even try to controll mobs they play SW style.

So in many ways its balanced cuz even if you think those GWFs are OverPowered they can only deliver DPS to pt nothing more.
    -Lets say a GWF go different path IV (loose half of they dps )
    -Lets say a GWF go different tree Instigator (loose much more then Half of they DPS)
    -Lets say a GWF go different tree Sentinel then he is usless. (no more dps no more useful to the pt)

GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
This discussion has been closed.