test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter: Strongholds Coming Summer 2015 (Now on Preview!)

Comments

• Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    As creator of the Directory of the Founders Guilds of Neverwinter and the current GUILD DIRECTORY of Neverwinter it's great to see so many guilds this active nowadays. There were surely a LOT of bumps along the way for many guilds. Kudos to the guild leaders who are keeping things organized for the betterment of their guild mates and the game as a whole. Nice to see!!

Since the details are scant, here are some notes off the top of my head about this.

1. I am holding out hope that Strongholds will be mostly a PvE experience, with optional PvP thrown in for those who choose to PvP. Strongholds should be a possibility WITHOUT ANY NEED TO PvP AT ALL for PvE centric guilds.

2. The 150 account nerf to guilds seems way too limiting. When medium sized guilds are forming sister guilds, there's a problem there.

3. Why not eliminate the 150 account limitation for guilds that just wish to participate in PvE?

4. Now that the game is 2+ years old (Open beta began on April 30, 2013.) I think its time guild size of 500 character slots need to be increased. 1200-1500 character slots sounds about right. Many guilds with the most intense cases of alt-itis needs this 500 number to be increased! These are your boys and girls that are really hanging around playing the game and potentially spending big bucks! :)

5. Guild bank. If guilds will lose their "stuff" this will backfire on the entire module, as it would surely be a deal buster for many guilds who are contemplating/planning to participate. As long as the guild banks are safe... this concern is null and void.

Our guild is REALLY EXCITED for this content and hope this is going to be fair for PvE and the PvP adventurers alike.
    Post edited by aandrethegiant on

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    kvet wrote: »
    I'm hoping, beyond hope, that Cryptic is realizing that despite what THEY THINK the game should be like, that what WE THINK as players is what keeps players playing the game. Forget the whole question of difficult and l2p - all of that is actually irrelevant. If a game is not fun, players won't keep playing it. I think Cryptic has done a descent job all told, but sort of stumbled with mod4 and 5, and fell flat on their backs with mod6. I really enjoy Neverwinter, always have. But seeing hundreds of friends abandon the game sucks. Doesn't matter if one agrees with their reasons - the fact is they stopped finding Neverwinter fun, so they quit (meaning they are someone else's paying customers now...).

So, again, I am hoping beyond home that Cryptic will make Mod7 FUN. And I don't mean fun like "Players are gonna love these things we've never actually discussed with them!" (or worse: "Players are going to love running these hourly tasks in town to advance their guild because the hourly vigilance tasks went over sooooo well in Mod6 to advance their characters!") I mean FUN as in "Players, we've listened to you! In relation to guilds and guild housing, we've spent hundreds of hours talking with players to understand what features you want and need (that we're able to actually implement within the scope of the game...) and so, here's Mod7!"

This is extremely well written. "Hope" is the operative here. Even though we are nowhere near your guild's size (we have approximately 190 accounts), we know our niche very well. Amazing that we two think so alike on this, as we have both seen so many people leave the game over the two years and three months of the game's existence.

I tell you though, in the last six months though, there seems to be a lot more excitement and cohesion in the guild. We have such a good group that's roaring to go for Mod 7. We have the right leaders, the right team... now all we need is the right content to play together!! No pressure, right!?!? 330944.gif?t=1414600711

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    ... now all we need is the right content to play together!!
    Yep. If only there were some kind of "dynamic toolset" that would allow thousands and thousands of creative people to create "infinite content" for others to enjoy playing. What a wonderful world this would be.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    eldarth wrote: »
    ... now all we need is the right content to play together!!
    Yep. If only there were some kind of "dynamic toolset" that would allow thousands and thousands of creative people to create "infinite content" for others to enjoy playing. What a wonderful world this would be.

Oh I've got great admiration of our Foundry dreamweavers, always did, do, and always will.

I WOULD like to see a major upgrade not only to the Foundry, but a concerted effort to getting more people to run UGC by giving the runs more value and purpose.
    Post edited by aandrethegiant on

• Options
    torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    I WOULD like to see a major upgrade not only to the Foundry, but a concerted effort to getting more people to run UGC by giving the runs more value and purpose.

^^^ THIS X A MILLION.

Give unplayed 15 min foundry quests an aquamarine reward.
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    kabinoleskabinoles Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    if they focus this mod on only pvp you guyz have a chance to get a good product
    and it will be nice if you can play henchman for hire you get some titles and rewards from the guild you work for.
  • Options
    lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    wonder what that new mount is in the promo?
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"
  • Options
    helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    All of the pve is on preview. I think its bad. Go form your own opinions. Maybe its good.
  • Options
    pitchfork69pitchfork69 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Well talking to my guild we will not be doing PvP battles with strongholds at all, not one time ,not to try it nada. If PvP is forced on it then we will join the rest of the players skipping the mod completely. Under no circumstance should this be the way the game goes .If the people that think this is a good idea to force people into PvP those people should be fired and replaced with people that actually enjoy MMorpg. If people want all Pvp try playing a MMobg. I play Nw cause it is a MMorpg not a MMobg. Myself and most of my guild is waiting to see how this plays out.
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    Update: Strongholds is now on Preview for preliminary public testing! Go play!
    huzzah.jpg~320x480

va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    I hope that there are both functional and aesthetic options, when it comes to constructing/upgrading your stronghold.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    wraithgorewraithgore Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    The pitfall I'm seeing is for example as a developer standpoint - is there literally a FINITE amount of Guilds allowed now to have strongholds or will there be a "infinite" amount possiblity to have 100's of maps available to us?

With this first part said, think on this, I login to join my guild in the stronghold? It is supposed to hold 150 Players thus 150 Characters IN at one time as that is the most players now allowed within a guild. Not saying that is HOW many really will be on, but looking at the big picture Cryptic you will definitely need to do major Stress Tests on servers and Load balancing.

Also if a Guild looses a stronghold to another guild does that guild "GAIN" it or at least reap the rewards as in pillaging and thus walk away with riches and rewards for ransacking the other players stronghold? If Guild A Looses said stronghold, do they have to start over again? Do they have to fight the orcs in another whole zone that is fresh for them and can Guild B keep Guild A's stronghold as a secondary stronghold to reap the rewards of a second or third mill/quarry etc....?

Please answer these before launch of Mod 7 because it may help some of us determine the proper way to run guilds. As the preliminary reason many had to join guilds, not just to run with people they may know but instead to run in Gauntlgrym which you have now made defunct except for PVP.

I do miss killing the Dwarf King......

PS. Please no more modifications to classes except to fix what was previously broken. Whether with powers or Enchants etc..
  • Options
    siobahnsolarissiobahnsolaris Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    As a PVE content player, I know that I wouldn't want to work hard, spend time, money and sink gold and AD into building a stronghold only to have a PVP guild come and take it away. There's no return on my investment there. Not to mention the amount of "Rage Quitting" that will happen if a balance isn't struck somehow.

So many have left the game because of mod 6 that I fear what could happen in the near future.
    enjin-675436-SiobahnSolaris-green.png
  • Options
    balthezar2balthezar2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 151 Arc User
    I played in preview a little today, and there hasn't been any forced PvP, there were some heroics, but I haven't run across anything to kill except those, bugged but has been reported. Hopefully will be fixed soon, looking forward to getting my marketplace open. Already have a lumberyard working.
    I have a solo (just me and my alts) guild, and it hasn't been that bad. Any PvP is at your discretion. The tasks to build your stronghold can all be done solo or PvE if you wish, some of the quests include going to other areas and doing the dailies there to get what you need to build up. Hopefully it will be a bit more exciting when the Orcs show up and start rampaging :smiley:
  • Options
    wraithgorewraithgore Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    Thanks for the heads up on what you have found on the Preview Server Balthezar2. It eases my mind to think that we will not be locked into a pve/pvp based strongholds environment but more so a choice is ours if we wish to do the PVP or not. Rather than have it forced upon us. Though my questions I think are still valid for those seeking to to do PvP since it would be needed to know if one is beaten by one group are you ousted from a Stronghold and have to reclaim it which would seem logical in some ways.
    :)
  • Options
    Well, that puts my mind at ease a bit. We shall see how it goes after strongholds have been built. Good luck on your endeavors Balthezar. :)
  • Options
    instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    teribad15 wrote: »
    r.i.p solo playing

Not really. You don't NEED to play in Strongholds... it doesn't add to the storyline, just gives guilds something to do.

bioshrike wrote: »
    I hope that there are both functional and aesthetic options, when it comes to constructing/upgrading your stronghold.

Judging from what I've seen so far, that's not going to happen. It looks like everyone is going to have the exact same SH.

However, I would love to be able to add stuff to the map, ala. Foundry-style, for Guild activities like scavenger hunts and whatnot. Doubt that will happen either.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • Options
    randilrandil Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2 Arc User
    Does anyone know if professional resources will be of any use for Strongholds? It would be nice to use some of our professions to help build and or support our Strongholds.
  • Options
    rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    You can donate the profession people to help your stronghold, but not any of the resources. As it is now, anyway.
  • Options
    muratttimurattti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 417 Arc User
    I can not play because of problems over turkey ping the server when an information data ends uptade really tired
  • Options
    scortylscortyl Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    are they making changes to make 60-70 less painful in the new module ?
    some quest gives 4000 exp at 62-63 ,in mont hotenow they give 6000 each at level 58 something is not right somewhere
    and some quests give 8000 exp for killing over 100 monsters what is the point of doing this ? as if i go anywhere i ask for quest share in mount hotenow i do the same amount of exp in less less time from quest and i one shot the monsters on my way .

do you think that the current exp gains from monsters AND quests in 60 to 70 is enough ?
    do you think that monster got too much hit points after level 60 areas ?
    what is the most fun ? : grinding 1 month for your only character class ? or playing all classes and have fun with it through not grinding and boring leveling ? and second thing , it is a way to know the classes you fight versus and know better the game , for the lore which is marvelous in this game and the roleplay .
    the campains are OK it's fun and rewarding , but the current exp system is a PAIN .

now consider my post or not but ask players they are tired too .

, /sign scortyl . arc user . neverwinter player .
    Post edited by scortyl on
  • Options
    mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    balthezar2 wrote: »
    I played in preview a little today, and there hasn't been any forced PvP, there were some heroics, but I haven't run across anything to kill except those, bugged but has been reported. Hopefully will be fixed soon, looking forward to getting my marketplace open. Already have a lumberyard working.
    I have a solo (just me and my alts) guild, and it hasn't been that bad. Any PvP is at your discretion. The tasks to build your stronghold can all be done solo or PvE if you wish, some of the quests include going to other areas and doing the dailies there to get what you need to build up. Hopefully it will be a bit more exciting when the Orcs show up and start rampaging :smiley:

How dit you manage to register your guild on the server with only one player active at any given time?

There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• Options
    According to the news I just read, guilds are supposed to build up their strongholds through August and then will have to defend against other players in PVP come September. As stated before, I refuse to put effort and resources into something that can be taken down/away in a PVP match. Can something be done to protect our investments?
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Again, PVP is opt in, and I doubt that you will lose anything if you do lose a match.
  • Options
    truckulatruckula Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    So, as far as I am concerned the official release will not be until September. There are so many things, that we have not been told yet. The most important of which is an official announcement of whether PVP is opt in or not. Until I have that information, I just really do not care about this module. We have not been told if the stronghold will be free to access, or are we going to need to drop fifty thousand zen to even get into it, or something in between? The questions regarding what happens if you lose a PVP are very real and valid, as well as how matching will be done.
    So Cryptic, when you decide to let us know some real details, like whether or not most of the guilds are just going to be whale food for a few super guilds, THEN and only then, will I even bother to care about looking at the module.
    ddfuv.jpg
    Click banner for the Dragon Dogs Family guild page.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    According to the news I just read, guilds are supposed to build up their strongholds through August and then will have to defend against other players in PVP come September. As stated before, I refuse to put effort and resources into something that can be taken down/away in a PVP match. Can something be done to protect our investments?

The PvP will not be available until later, but it is consensual PvP, not mandatory. Jeez.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    truckula wrote: »
    [The most important of which is an official announcement of whether PVP is opt in or not. Until I have that information, I just really do not care about this module. We have not been told if the stronghold will be free to access, or are we going to need to drop fifty thousand zen to even get into it, or something in between?

You'll be able to get in for nothing. Place'll be a wreck, but you're there to fix it up, aren't you?

As for the official announcement that PvP would be optional, we had that back in May.
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/comment/4414114

Find the post by "goatshark".
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    balthezar2balthezar2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    @mynamm

You can still get some friendly people to help you start a guild, then they can drop out after it's made.
    Post edited by balthezar2 on
  • Options
    truckulatruckula Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Thank you BeckyLunatic!! I have been wondering about this for a while and from what I have read so have a lot of other people.
    Here is the quote...
    goatshark wrote: »
    (goatshark Lead Designer Posts: 13 Cryptic Developer May 22 )
    Hey folks! More information will be coming out soon, but I can clear a few things up about Strongholds at launch.

1) PvP will be consensual and opt-in.
    2) There will be both PvP and PvE elements of gameplay. There are facets of your stronghold that will be advanced by PvE and some that will be enhanced by PvP.

More to come!
    Clicky for link to the actual thread.

That was my major concern, and having it answered, makes me very excited to see the new module.

ddfuv.jpg
    Click banner for the Dragon Dogs Family guild page.