test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter: Strongholds Coming Summer 2015 (Now on Preview!)

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
edited July 2015 in News & Announcements
We're proud to announce Neverwinter: Strongholds, coming Summer 2015!

Will you #ConquerOrCrumble?

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz-Arn3GfQE

http://bit.ly/1IMhJTN

Update: Strongholds is now on Preview for preliminary public testing! Go play!

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Post edited by zebular on

Comments

• rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Really nice. Now please take all the time needed.
    Summer is a state of mind
  • naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm hoping the actual features read better than the teaser. Most of what I got from that is 'non-optional PvP if you're in a guild who wants to work on a project', and 'only PvP guilds will have nice things', but I hope I'm wrong.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Copied from: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?830551-Guild-Strongholds-what-do-we-want-to-see

I would like to see a blended approach. Take the DDO airship design in terms of unlock-able amenities with the power of NWOs foundry system to design the guild stronghold.

How do we unlock the amenities? Is this game F2P or P2W, I say in the spirit of F2P different amenities should be tied to different achievements. What do you do with all that currency stored up from lvling, how about some amenities requiring a deposit of X Blackdagger insignia as an example. These types of things would build a sense of community within the guild as people team together to upgrade a fireplace or open a training room, etc. Plus it would get some activity in some of the lvling areas as hoards of end-gamers return to farm and provide an avenue for new players by selling their earned zone currencies on AH.

The design can be similar to the current PVP achievement system and broken into categories. Maybe have a ladder for PVE achievements, a ladder for PVP achievements, a ladder for currency deposits, etc.

Do not put a requirement for guild population, etc. Small guilds should be able to unlock everything in time but I do not have a problem with big guilds being able to unlock faster using the power of more resources (do not force us to expand our ranks to include unfamiliars, I’ve been here far too long to return to recruiting, I have my guild mates, I like my guild mates, I don’t need drama).

Finally as mentioned, this game is F2P, so where is the revenue in this for PW. Well it’s the same as its always been, create expedite tokens or unlock tokens for sale with zen. If you want to unlock everything, guess what, you’ll be farming until mod 8, you want it next week… show me some plastic.

Yes there should be Boons included, the boons should be meaningful (especially for encouraging new players to join guild and participate within a guild). The boons should not be earth shattering, but they should be encouraging, maybe you have a way to get to a mailbox without returning to PE, expedite achievement of existing campaigns, gold drop bonus (since new players care about gold), access to some entry lvl assets like mounts or companions that would typically cost gold (but would still require AD to upgrade and of course zen market/AH/events will still provide better and custom alternatives as they do today.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    @ MARKETING DEPT. PROTIP: Having your embedded YouTube video *auto-play* when it is half-way down the page and requires scrolling before it appears is *not good*. The video is half way to complete finished by the time it even arrives on-screen.

@Thread: I always suspected Mod 7 will be about Guild Strongholds and PvP DevLuv. It's about time. And these strongholds are going to work is some similar fashion (albeit differently from) Star Trek Online Fleet Starbases. //nice.
  • mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    "Once the keep has been secured, guilds will have to battle against the environment as well as other players to ensure they maintain control of their lands."

Not sure how the pvp part will be implemented, and therein lies my concern. Most players DO NOT PLAY or even like pvp, including myself.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • kaedennnkaedennn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 361 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Nice trailer :D , '' i have high hopes in the new team ^^ , "
  • rgladiatorgladiato Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Don't worry so much about pvp! They have never made pvp a requirement. Your guild will not be forced to pvp.
    Nixon the TR
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
    o1iHDN0.png?1
  • arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I do hope these Strongholds don't follow STO's philosophy which was unjust to smaller fleets/guilds.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Even though the trailer was pretty **** nice (specially the animations, like the guy who almost fell when running away) I still don't know much about what's to come in this module and what are specifically strongholds.
    I did read something about the biggest NW map so far, and that's good news in my eyes.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The trailer is pretty amazing but this doenst sound like real "guildhousing" for me. It sounds more like a temporary house that you will lose after some days to one of the huge pvp guilds :(
    Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression
  • lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Actually, it was more like a heroic encounter. ;(

Something like "raid the raiders and take control of the village for a specific time" then more mobs and players arrived to retake the village. After a couple of minutes. Great Reward! Enjoy your peridot and aquamarine.
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    We're proud to announce Neverwinter: Strongholds, coming Summer 2015!

Will you #ConquerOrCrumble?

http://bit.ly/1IMhJTN

Okay, in this one case I think a player request has been misinterpreted.

Players wanted a Guild Stronghold as a permanent place for meetings, RP, resting, and other non-PvE or PvP activities. Yes, a Guild Stronghold should even be a place for Roleplay.

I wouldn't mind so much if the upgrades for reclaiming land, or decorating the place was more how the Guild Bank was run as long as it included a way for all your guildies to donate Astral Diamonds (or gold) towards it. (This donation system is already partly in place in the Foundry when you give tips.)

The key to the Guild Stronghold could be issued after X donation to the Stronghold Fund itself, and past Rank 1. It would work like the Protector's Garden Key for a specific Stronghold so only contributing members of YOUR Guild could get into the Stronghold.

I am keeping in mind that the wheels of Development have already been set in motion so here may be a meshing of the two ideas :

Strongholds - run them as described in the advert.
    Halls - smaller permanent Guild purchaseable building with donations accepted to upgrade (including merchants?), and Key issued for entry.

This way all aspects of PvE, PvP, and Roleplay can be accomidated, and the original player request of a building for Guilds is fulfilled.

Discuss below.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • hfgtfsdfshfgtfsdfs Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The idea sounds very nice. But how it actually works is another question.

Will smaller guilds have any chance at all?
    Do the guilds need players online like 24/7 to defend it? Or how does that work?
    How will it work with guilds with 10 DCs and 10 Paladins?
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It actually is concerning that there's an implied mechanism that you could put significant time and effort into your stronghold but if you're not able to maintain that same level to continuously defend it, you stand to lose what you put in. More info is needed.

I could see there being some PvE fun in having an integrated RTS minigame, but... there are a lot of buts.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This looks awesome... :cool:

Good luck to the Devs on implementation, and take your time. No hurry, so do what you need to do to make it awesome.

That being said, I am super excited! :D
    va8Ru.gif
  • lillyamadulillyamadu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    "Once the keep has been secured, guilds will have to battle against the environment as well as other players to ensure they maintain control of their lands."

Not sure how the pvp part will be implemented, and therein lies my concern. Most players DO NOT PLAY or even like pvp, including myself.

Yeah, this is my main concern, too, after reading about M7. Definitely want to find out more information. My guild is not huge (and most of us HATE PvP), so to put us up against a 100 man guild in order to maintain an optional feature just doesn't jive. Just initial gut impressions. More will come out in later months, I'm sure, but right now, looking at this with trepidation.
  • bernatkbernatk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm very very very ........ very much looking forward to it.
    JMYwySk.jpg
  • denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have a two man guild with my best friend.

Will I be forced to change to a bigger guild to have access to these features? Cause I really don't want to.

I play for pvp. Without pvp this game is dead to me. I'm looking forward to the pvp aspect greatly
    I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
    It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
    You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
    My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread
    edited May 2015
    The problem with that is that there are a lot of strictly PvE players who were really looking forward to the idea of guild strongholds too, for roleplaying, meeting, decorating, and all manner of things that don't require PvPing.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• randomdiscordrandomdiscord Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The problem with that is that there are a lot of strictly PvE players who were really looking forward to the idea of guild strongholds too, for roleplaying, meeting, decorating, and all manner of things that don't require PvPing.

Exactly...well aside from the roleplaying for me at least. I'm not interested in PvP at all, and honestly this does not sound encouraging to me in any way. Certainly I will reserve judgement, as there is little information, but this smacks of EVE to me. Technically you don't absolutely have to be in a large guild (corp) in EVE, and technically you don't have to PvP either. But if you aren't, and you don't you will be crushed.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yeah I really really hope this isn't just going to turn into a module where one or two powerful pvp guilds can just run from one stronghold to the next marauding and wrecking everybody's work and ad/time investment , surely the guilds will have to have an option to join the pvp aspect of the thing otherwise 90% of the playerbase might as well not bother with this module because every time they make some progress some whale guild will just swoop in a destroy it all ahaha , looking forwards to reading more info about it .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
    edited May 2015
    I sincerely hope that it's handled like IWD and being flagged for PvP as a guild stronghold is at your discretion. If you don't want to do it, skip it.

And the counterpoint, I sincerely hope that the solution to not wanting to be flagged for PvP (as a guild) is not to skip the entire module.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• daniloslvdaniloslv Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    MOD 7: Strongholds - Tyranny of TRs.

1) Enter enemy stronghold perma stealth
    2) kill everyone there
    3) profit
    Leliana - Healer DC
    Leliana C.W. - Opressor CW
    Lelian O.P. - Bulwark Paladin
  • berserkrage99berserkrage99 Member Posts: 103
    edited May 2015
    My thoughts on the trailer:

It was fun and entertaining to watch. Despite the recent set backs this game has had, watching it made me get excited to play this new mod 7 coming. I thought it was put together well, it wasn't the best trailer it could have been, but it was still decent. The music of the trailer was the best part about it, so good job to the composer, it really set the mood of wanting to get into a huge scale battle.

For some reason, I thought the hobo bum on a standard horse riding with the rest of the rank 3 / 4 mount cavalry was awesome. He seemed like the leader or messenger of the pack, yet he looked like a hobo bum. It made me feel like he had a hidden power or strength despite his shabby appearance, which i thought was cool.

A flaw of this trailer was that they reused look-alike NPC's too much, clones. The hobo dressed bum also had a clone in the trailer waiting to be rescued by the cavalry if you noticed. Just wished they would not have used clones in this trailer, it looked very lazy and cheap to do that.

Other than that, I wonder if strongholds is purely pve, where players have to fight and defend against the cpu elements, or will they actually add a pvp element to this...? Lastly, the logo at the end, constructing a castle animation makes me thing they might use the foundry engine to allow players to develop their own custom strong holds, and build it from scratch - which would be refreshing to gameplay since it would be a new experience to raid strongholds with various traps, etc, constantly have to think of new strategies , etc.
  • thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    so 2 new modules in 2015. Right now is end of may. 7 month to fix all bugs, make new content for 2 modules, not to break anything and test it. good luck
  • kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited May 2015
    “Strongholds gives our Neverwinter players the ability to create their own stories of banding together with their guild to forge the tales of their rescuing of lands overrun with orcs and defending their turf from invading players,” says executive producer Rob Overmeyer.

So if I want a Stronghold I'm forced to play pvp ? What if I'm no longer interested in the pvp part of this game ?
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Other than that, I wonder if strongholds is purely pve, where players have to fight and defend against the cpu elements, or will they actually add a pvp element to this...?

Oh it is intended to have a pvp element as seen in the quote from the blog that I will post below , other guilds can come along and raid all your guilds hard work apparently which could be a huge concern, especially if it costs huge amounts of AD or zen to build up the stronghold , hopefully we will get more info soon.
    Once the keep has been secured, guilds will have to battle against the environment as well as other players to ensure they maintain control of their lands.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This looks awesome... :cool:

Good luck to the Devs on implementation, and take your time. No hurry, so do what you need to do to make it awesome.

That being said, I am super excited! :D

As long as we can install a fully stocked bar and "skilled" bartender!
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Oh it is intended to have a pvp element as seen in the quote from the blog that I will post below , other guilds can come along and raid all your guilds hard work apparently which could be a huge concern, especially if it costs huge amounts of AD or zen to build up the stronghold , hopefully we will get more info soon.
    They say "control of their lands" maybe you secure your stronghold but battle for territory?
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    They'll absolutely need an option to disable PvP in your Stronghold. A vast, vast majority of players here are PvE focused, and it would ruin things in the one or two hardcore PvP guilds could indiscriminately wreck your Stronghold (likely saving whatever cheats and exploits they find during "testing" on the preview server to assist them).

I'm really hoping that once your upgrade your keep, you have the option to engage different siege style events that give you unique rewards for defeating, to challenge your Stronghold, instead of randomly generated stuff that burns your keep to the ground when no one is logged in.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1