test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The new artifact changes actually BENEFIT players. Here's why:

Comments

• aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    These 9 pages wouldn't exist if they had just added levels to existing artifact gear, which I thought I read they were planning to do.

I don't care so much about the arti weapon. It's the hundreds of thousands of AD I spent on cubes to perfect my off hand that upsets me.

When the original T1 and T2 sets stay BiS for 5 modules, I think that expecting artifact gear to stay BiS for more than 1 module is not out of line.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    aulduron wrote: »
    These 9 pages wouldn't exist if they had just added levels to existing artifact gear, which I thought I read they were planning to do.

If it makes it easier for you, think of the Elemental Orb as the next tier of Artifact Equipment. Your current Dragon Artifact isn't losing RP. It's gaining RP towards the next tier. And as the pictures in the first post showed, the Elemental tier is more powerful than the Dragon tier, regardless of how much RP you've put into it.

You want to be IN the Elemental tier, and OUT of the Dragon tier. So everyone who's already invested in the Dragon tier is essentially being given a head start over those who haven't. Once Module 6 launches, no one is going to chose to be in the Dragon tier, they're going to skip right to the Elemental tier. But they'll start a 0, whereas other people are already given progress.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • rawlor9krawlor9k Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    After thinking about this for awhile I'm actually glad they chose to do it this way instead of adding another 20 levels. If they had simply added those 20 levels they probably would have doubled the amount of RP required to get them from rank 60 to 80. That would have been terrible. This way it's far less RP required no matter how you look at it. That's just how the math adds up. I'd much rather only need < 1 mil RP to get back up to Legendary than to have needed what probably would have been 5 mil RP to get to Mythic.

That along with not actually needing a new belt or cloak and... well... this really isn't that bad. Honestly I'd much rather have new content and difficult dungeons to play through than worry about getting more artifact equipment up to BiS levels.
    edited March 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    If it makes it easier for you, think of the Elemental Orb as the next tier of Artifact Equipment. Your current Dragon Artifact isn't losing RP. It's gaining RP towards the next tier. And as the pictures in the first post showed, the Elemental tier is more powerful than the Dragon tier, regardless of how much RP you've put into it.

You want to be IN the Elemental tier, and OUT of the Dragon tier. So everyone who's already invested in the Dragon tier is essentially being given a head start over those who haven't. Once Module 6 launches, no one is going to chose to be in the Dragon tier, they're going to skip right to the Elemental tier. But they'll start a 0, whereas other people are already given progress.

Allow me to repeat myself: "I don't care so much about the arti weapon. It's the hundreds of thousands of AD I spent on cubes to perfect my off hand that upsets me."

I'm not crazy about losing that extra socket, but it's no big deal. It's not as bad as losing the extra socket on the belt or cloak that I've not yet earned.

These concerns could be offset by significantly raising the drop rate of RP.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why did you need a "perfect" offhand?

The increase to your overall character effectiveness is pretty trivial. There's practically no increase in power by going from 350+ of a stat up to 400. Even if the offhand wasn't being replaced, I'd still tell you that you wasted your AD on it :)
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited March 2015

I don't care so much about the arti weapon. It's the hundreds of thousands of AD I spent on cubes to perfect my off hand that upsets me.

When the original T1 and T2 sets stay BiS for 5 modules, I think that expecting artifact gear to stay BiS for more than 1 module is not out of line.

Wow,

That is a generalized statement if Ive ever seen one and has nothing to do with my requests to tweak the RP system and allow us to generate Linus through different methods.

I want to group up and do group content, thats my bottom line in everything Ive asked for. I have 9 toons (6 to 60) and I do not HAVE BIS on any toon and I never will.

What I ask for is a MORE reasonable grinding experience to allow me to play the game in a group experience and not so heavily focused on Tiamat.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I believe the main issue of those artifacts is the loss of the original investment over a very short period of time.

The new artifacts will yield, 40% RP value loss, 5 GMOPs and a hefty p-wards over the original investment
    to illustrate lets focus on main hands which are the most important part and determine the base damage.\

Lets assume we have 2 players:
    One took a break before farming linus and have 4mil bound/unbound RP.
    And the other played during mod 5.

So now, both meet, get the new main hand/OH, the player that took a break will level his to level 60 (4 mil RP) And have 5 GMOPs.
    The player that actually played and invested will have level 56 (by the first post, though i'm not sure why 56 and not 48 - per http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Artifact_weapon) and no GMOPs (already been used for the original)

So we ended with the player that played less, has a major advantage of the player that played during mod5.

So yes, while transferring from the legendary to the new will yield a better weapon, I think the moral of this story is that investing in any top gear is not beneficial because of the changes in the very short term (~3 months mod5 -> mod 6).
  • animalustanimalust Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 573 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    no sir, I still just don't like it.

to me, its just not as simple as you put it.
  • healaryhealary Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The complaints are obviously not on the better level 70 artifact gear but the money players wasted on the soon to be obsolete level 60 artifact gear and thousands and thousands more on the new artifacts and artifact gear and R12 enchantments coming soon.

ROFL!!!! I don't want to waste thousands of real dollars just to "stay ahead" for a few days. If there is no crowd who wants to pay the insane amount of real money to stay in the game, there is no crowd for me to "stay ahead" of anyway.

My wallet wants to stay ahead rather. Why don't you put thousands of real $$$ in my wallet and I will let you "stay ahead" gladly. That works better for me.
  • thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    nallif wrote: »
    You've made a great post and supported it though the thread with logical replies. The problem is that those complaining are not being honest.

The complainers...
    1. Want to have best-in-slot gear.
    2. Do not want to grind for best-in-slot gear, again.
    3. Do not want others to have better gear than they have.

That is why they want to be given best-in-slot gear at the start of mod 6.

You know - you again trying to corner and avoid main issues.
    People would accept new gear if and only if minimal requirements are meant
    - you get at least 50% on old to new RP conversion not in 2 RP week. Nobody wants to wait again.
    - you get option to carry over selected off hand bonuses that are open with stats for cubes.
    - you can carry over transmutated look.

Again. People don't want to be BiS on mod start. They don't want their efforts wasted again.
    Note 1: I did not say anything about free no grind item. We can survive 15 more borring tia <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> at lvl 70 per piece. Not that anybody would like it.
    Note 2: I did not say 100% RP carry over. We all can see that new gear is better in stats. Or no be honest - new gear is relatively same on new curves when refined with old artifact at 80% VS old gear on old curves.

So you can as long as you want shout here about people are lazy. Until you will continue cornering only one point of view without whole picture in place you are really just see nothing and are justifying case where player efforts are nothing and doing boring <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> instead of fixing system in core is ok.

Again. Fix RP system in general. Make XP to RP. Remove amount of grind for gear possibly. Decrease Random drop. Make game enjoyable not work for "food" for RP system or linus. We all wish that to happen
    edited March 2015

The increase to your overall character effectiveness is pretty trivial. There's practically no increase in power by going from 350+ of a stat up to 400. Even if the offhand wasn't being replaced, I'd still tell you that you wasted your AD on it :)

It's not perfect, but its a hell of a lot better than it originally was. As you know, as a Renegade, I depend on CA. There are not many sources of CA. The offhand is the cheapest option. I'm currently a little over cap, but when I lose it, I will be under.
    That is a generalized statement if Ive ever seen one and has nothing to do with my requests to tweak the RP system and allow us to generate Linus through different methods.

I wasn't responding to you, in particular. I was responding to all 9 pages. I feel for you. 7 of my characters will probably be campfire bound from now on. Recent changes have made them ineffective or I just won't be able to keep up. I'm hoping to keep 2 toons active, but we'll see if that's possible when the time comes.

In my next post, I did call for significantly more RP drops.
    The new artifacts will yield, 40% RP value loss, 5 GMOPs and a hefty p-wards over the original investment
    to illustrate lets focus on main hands which are the most important part and determine the base damage.\

Artifact gear doesn't take 5 GMoPs. Only artifacts do.
    edited March 2015
    healary wrote: »
    The complaints are obviously not on the better level 70 artifact gear but the money players wasted on the soon to be obsolete level 60 artifact gear and thousands and thousands more on the new artifacts and artifact gear and R12 enchantments coming soon.

But you're missing the point. That RP you spent on current stuff isn't wasted.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • animalustanimalust Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 573 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    thedemien wrote: »
    You know - you again trying to corner and avoid main issues.
    People would accept new gear if and only if minimal requirements are meant
    - you get at least 50% on old to new RP conversion not in 2 RP week. Nobody wants to wait again.
    - you get option to carry over selected off hand bonuses that are open with stats for cubes.
    - you can carry over transmutated look.

Again. People don't want to be BiS on mod start. They don't want their efforts wasted again.
    Note 1: I did not say anything about free no grind item. We can survive 15 more borring tia <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> at lvl 70 per piece. Not that anybody would like it.
    Note 2: I did not say 100% RP carry over. We all can see that new gear is better in stats. Or no be honest - new gear is relatively same on new curves when refined with old artifact at 80% VS old gear on old curves.

So you can as long as you want shout here about people are lazy. Until you will continue cornering only one point of view without whole picture in place you are really just see nothing and are justifying case where player efforts are nothing and doing boring <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> instead of fixing system in core is ok.

Again. Fix RP system in general. Make XP to RP. Remove amount of grind for gear possibly. Decrease Random drop. Make game enjoyable not work for "food" for RP system or linus. We all wish that to happen

thanks, at least a few people understand this... The loss of what I spent in frickin cubes is a enough to make me hate this.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited March 2015

It's actually is, if i didn't spent it 3 months ago I would have now (mod 6) a higher level artifact than i would have by feeding one into the other, this is a net loss of those 60% or 20% + p-wards.

The easiest solution was just to add levels to the current artifacts and upgrade them to fit current stat curves and relative base damage.
    Introducing new artifacts and forcing RP loss, is not beneficial in any way, even without the new artifacts i can feed one into another at the same loss ratio.

But all this is even more moot, the new VT weapon set has higher base damge than this new artifact on 70 level.
    Artifact gear doesn't take 5 GMoPs. Only artifacts do.

ahh true, my mistake, but the point stands.
    edited March 2015

Zerg. I generally support your idea. But look at this from one more angle
    Here's my question. You have the choice of two items below. Which do you chose?

Be honest:

is2sXKy.jpg

You did not posted old current live picture.
    But please calculate old RoI for old power on now live server with ~ 500 power = 3% of damage bonus.
    Then do this for new gear. where 400 point is ~ 1% on lvl 70 as far as I remember.

lets see math for that pls. I ll let you do it. Or pls post current live start for same orb.
  • rawlor9krawlor9k Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Granted, refining my "sacred" Legendary weapon only got me 40% to the new Legendary tier. But if I had the discipline to wait until a 2x RP Weekend, that will get me 80% there, and "only" about 900k RP to the new Legendary status. Which ain't bad considering the enormous upgrade being presented to me.
    micky1p00 wrote: »
    though i'm not sure why 56 and not 48 - per http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Artifact_weapon) and no GMOPs (already been used for the original)

OK this had confused me as well from seeing the new arti MH @ rank 56.

So, it looks like on a normal day putting a current legendary MH into a new green MH will get you 40% return (20% base RP returned * 2x same arti bonus), which is at about rank 48.

Right?

I think my plan then will be to put 571k new RP into my new MH, and then wait until a 2x RP weekend to put my former legendary into the new mainhand. Hopefully cryptic won't wait too long to do one...
    edited March 2015
    thedemien wrote: »
    Zerg. I generally support your idea. But look at this from one more angle

You did not posted old current live picture.
    But please calculate old RoI for old power on now live server with ~ 500 power = 3% of damage bonus.
    Then do this for new gear. where 400 point is ~ 1% on lvl 70 as far as I remember.

lets see math for that pls. I ll let you do it. Or pls post current live start for same orb.

I did that already. Here's the picture showing the Dragon Orb (at legendary) on Live, then on preview, and then what happens when you refine the Dragon orb into the Elemental Orb, and then the Elemental Orb at Legendary.

zSyfa45.jpg

And here's what we know about the stats. Power does diminish. The more power you have, the less it's worth. On Live, I have about 11,000 power. 2,000 is coming from that orb. So when I'm over 9k power, the extra 2k power contributes about 7.2% more damage. The Epic Elemental Orb, which I get when I drop my Dragon Orb into the uncommon Elemental Orb has about 4600 power, or 11.5% more damage (400=1%)

So not account for the increase in weapon damage (which is the number one contributor to overall damage), that's a 4.3% increase in damage based on power alone.

Is that what you were looking for?

EDIT: So clearly switching to the new Equipment is going to give you a massive boost in DPS, which as we know is going to be needed because the defenses and health of the thing we're fighting are going to get boost as we get closer to level 70.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015

The random nature of the cubes means that you could be out quite a lot just because the class feature you wanted was the absolute last one you rolled. And that's crappy.

The low priority I put on throwing AD at things dictated by randomness, and a stubborn refusal to start sinking all my resources into one character, means I didn't buy a single cube, so it's a problem that doesn't affect me, but I don't like seeing other people who feel that their investment should have been good for more than a single module.

Some people lucked out on their initial stat roll and others didn't get something good for quite a while.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited March 2015
    Incidentally, with regard to the at-will buff being the top version on the new weapons regardless of weapon quality... that's HUGE. That actually means that in spite of not having the final enchant slot unlocked (I didn't have that anyway), using a blue weapon isn't a significant disadvantage over an orange one, which was a major factor in some of the old artifact weapons being less-good unless they were ranked up all the way.

Buffing all strikes of your primary at-will instead of only the second strike is kind of a big deal.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• s1lv3rdrgnforums1lv3rdrgnforum Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    OP: I had forgotten about the fact u could feed the arti .. thanks for that .. :)
    Bedlam: Creating chaos as a MI Exec TR
    Avariel Merilwen: Burn baby, MoF/Rene
    Aejun The Silver: Devoted to Healing, DevOP/Justice
    Mina Rosepetal: Super Natural, Pathfinder/Melee
    Frost: Benchwarmer, Soulbinder/Fury
    edited March 2015
    I did that already. Here's the picture showing the Dragon Orb (at legendary) on Live, then on preview, and then what happens when you refine the Dragon orb into the Elemental Orb, and then the Elemental Orb at Legendary.

zSyfa45.jpg

And here's what we know about the stats. Power does diminish. The more power you have, the less it's worth. On Live, I have about 11,000 power. 2,000 is coming from that orb. So when I'm over 9k power, the extra 2k power contributes about 7.2% more damage. The Epic Elemental Orb, which I get when I drop my Dragon Orb into the uncommon Elemental Orb has about 4600 power, or 11.5% more damage (400=1%)

So not account for the increase in weapon damage (which is the number one contributor to overall damage), that's a 4.3% increase in damage based on power alone.

Is that what you were looking for?

EDIT: So clearly switching to the new Equipment is going to give you a massive boost in DPS, which as we know is going to be needed because the defenses and health of the thing we're fighting are going to get boost as we get closer to level 70.

Yes. 4.3% increase if you calculate with min RoI. but on tougher mobs. I do still question if this is really a raise. Also don't forget that you have 2nd offensive slot now locked. That in your case gave you 260 more power ~ 1 % after diminish return extra. Also if you calculate it as 167 ~ 1 % = 11.9%. Same as new one.
    But lets stick to 4.3%.

Now from weapon damage you gained 12 % with new fresh refined gear. so in total you would get 12% * 1.043 = 12.5% more damage at top from weapon as power bonuses. Better in plain math yes as raw damage. Yet stat wise it is around same.
    [0%, 4.3%] window is what you have. Basically insufficient to raise raise of base weapon damage. Now remember tougher mobs. like ~ 50% more tougher. old boss - 24% DR, new boss - 40% DR by abbadon data. 40- 24 = 16%. a little bit more then damage raise you got. Note I don't count Arm pen you have.

Look at extra stuff you lost as efforts in my post above.
    Also side notice - devs change Recovery to arm pen for CW. This is probably balance to 0 difference between 16% DR raise and 12% damage from weapon base raise.
    Not sure about any other class. They kept useless same for HR as example. Fairly useless btw.

What you see in result? Make your own conclusion about proc and cons. I see that you have grind again borring content. Invest AD in off hand ets. Yes you lost 20% of your RP at best to get to legendary again and have 2nd slot open.
    you may think that all you need only 20% but like one wise man sad - "Having 1 million and not having 1 million is actually 2 millions."

You will still have to grind that linus, invest AD keep investing RP further while you were done on old one.
  • dheffernandheffernan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited March 2015

So, I've got a GF who could buy the components for her artifact weapon off the AH today, run the task and get one. (Never mind that it might not be the right one for now.)

Should she do it? Or should she wait for mod6?

Because from what I'm reading, buying that weapon now would be profoundly stupid. And if that's true then there's something wrong with the system. People shouldn't be penalized in this manner.
    @Venture-1 @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that far back. Yes, *that* Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. For me it was Tuesday.
    edited March 2015
    We don't know what the requirements for obtaining the new weapon will be, because right now it seems to be tacked on to the existing task. Definitely wait though.

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited March 2015
    dheffernan wrote: »
    So, I've got a GF who could buy the components for her artifact weapon off the AH today, run the task and get one. (Never mind that it might not be the right one for now.)

Should she do it? Or should she wait for mod6?

Because from what I'm reading, buying that weapon now would be profoundly stupid. And if that's true then there's something wrong with the system. People shouldn't be penalized in this manner.

I say wait, because you're only going to get 40% of that RP back.
    edited March 2015
    Plus the component cost, plus the AD cost inherent in the task itself, plus the fact that you might not even get a weapon you want on the first try, plus the fact that you actually know that even the right weapon has a very short shelf life now.

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited March 2015
    Yes. Wait. Because whatever the task is, you want that Elemental weapon.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    so all in all the best thing to do is stay at blue or purple level with your artifacts, don´t invest too much rp in exchangeable items, spend your rp to level your enchantements or rank 7/8/9th, right?
    if the base-damage of the new VT weapon is better than base-damage from the artifact-weapon (wich level?) i don´t see any need to invest more time in grinding the worst raid i ever met in mmorpg, thx for releasing me from that burdon
    edited March 2015
    Right now on test the Artificer tasks aren't awarding the correct weapons, so I can't make a comparison between the two, but I will when I can.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I level'd my artifacts completely on double weekends.

So I paid 50% RP to get to 100% RP. When I get to lv 70 weapon I will return 80% of the 100% I got from using 50%, which is 30% more than I invested originally.

Someone explain me what the hype is about?

Sure there are plenty of ways to improve the refining interface, and tweak dragons hoard, and perhaps a couple more ideas like zerg's EXP-RP system, otherwise it's no big deal to me. My artifacts are happily sitting at epic rank and that suits me just fine. I wonder if there'll be a new category of artifacts next mod. Two artifact rings ? :D
    I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
    It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
    You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
    My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread
    edited March 2015
    When will the next double RP be?