What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The new artifact changes actually BENEFIT players. Here's why:

Comments

• darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    aulduron wrote: »
    When will the next double RP be?

Considering no one -- including Akromatik -- knew about this last double RP weekend until two or three days before it happened, nobody has a clue as to when the next double RP weekend is.
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    My point exactly.
  • kss1985kss1985 Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    are the belts getting also an increase in rank/level, or the one we got now from module 4 and 5 will sill be the best?
  • sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    denvald wrote: »
    So I paid 50% RP to get to 100% RP. When I get to lv 70 weapon I will return 80% of the 100% I got from using 50%, which is 30% more than I invested originally.

I also only refine during 2xRP events and was thinking the same as you.
    By only refining during 2xRP, you always get more RP than you put in ....
    However, your math needs to be reformulated.

(1) During all previous 2xRP events, you paid 100% RP to get 200% RP.
    During next 2xRP (80% efficiency when feeding old artifacts into new artifacts) --> 160% RP remaining
    You will get 60% more than you originally invested.
    This does not include crits which will increase the % even higher.

But But But ...
    If you had saved all your refine points (never used them), then during the next 2xRP event, you would get the full 200% (100% more) instead of only 160% (60% more).
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    so don´t play the game, just save your rp until mod 17 and you will save 11x20%= 220% rp costs on top of that you don´t need to run taiamat, thats the biggest point and the best argument
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    When will the next double RP be?

My GUESS is in about a month+. They will wait until the module has been out a few weeks, wait for the initial "have it now" people pay to have it now LOL. Then boom. Double RP event and smart players will just hold out until then.
    edited March 2015
    sangrine wrote: »
    I also only refine during 2xRP events and was thinking the same as you.
    By only refining during 2xRP, you always get more RP than you put in ....
    However, your math needs to be reformulated.

(1) During all previous 2xRP events, you paid 100% RP to get 200% RP.
    During next 2xRP (80% efficiency when feeding old artifacts into new artifacts) --> 160% RP remaining
    You will get 60% more than you originally invested.
    This does not include crits which will increase the % even higher.

But But But ...
    If you had saved all your refine points (never used them), then during the next 2xRP event, you would get the full 200% (100% more) instead of only 160% (60% more).

Yup. Its not IDEAL but atleast getting you 80% of the way to new BIS is not that bad IMO.

Look at the old PVP gear, you cant "exchange" that for 80 of the cost of the new stuff. When Formorian weapons came out you couldnt "echange" CN weapons for 80% of the cost/leveling EXP it required to get the new ones.

When BI gear came you couldnt "exchange" old T1/T2 gear for a 'boost' to your BI farming. Thats just the nature of the game TBH. I am NOT an advocate of the RP system, however the new weapons are NOT my biggest issue.

Artifacts will be the biggest issue since we CANNOT wait until double RP, refine our old into our new and get 80% of the way there. Regardless of what we do, its going to take 6 mil RP PER ARTIFACT.

THIS is the bigger issue IMO. Thats 6 mil * 4 = 24 MIL RP. Even if you wait until double RP event itll still take 12 mil RP total... Not to mention the painful 5 GMOPs for each one....
  • umscheumsche Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 461 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ayroux wrote: »
    THIS is the bigger issue IMO. Thats 6 mil * 4 = 24 MIL RP. Even if you wait until double RP event itll still take 12 mil RP total... Not to mention the painful 5 GMOPs for each one....

artifact gear do not require GMOPs.
  • chrcorechrcore Member Posts: 329 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Here's my question. You have the choice of two items below. Which do you chose?

Nobody is moving backwards. Nothing is being taken away.

It's fine. In fact, players are going to get a boost by these changes.

No Ironzerg, there is no BENEFIT to the players.

Players would be much better off having SKIPPED module 6, gone and played something else, come back for Mod 7 and be in a better place than those who participated in Mod 6.

As an example. Lets say I had 600 stacks of peridots prior to mod 6. I use them all up on getting my stuff to legendary. Once Mod 7 rolls out, I have the equivalent of 240 stacks of peridots.

Player B, had 600 stacks but decided to take a break from the game after getting his mod 6 boons and didn't bother putting refining into his artifact equipment.

Guess how many stacks of peridots he will have for Module 7 (assuming he came back)? You guessed it! 600.

So explain to me how 240 stacks of peridots is better than 600?
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Who cares about a stack of Peridots? If looking at a bank tab full of green stones makes you happy, then fill up a bank tab full of green stones.

The game ISN'T about those RP. Those are a means to an end. The end is playing the game and having fun.

If this game isn't fun for you, what's the point?
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited March 2015
    umsche wrote: »
    artifact gear do not require GMOPs.

re-read my post. I said artifacts, not artifact gear.
    edited March 2015
    Who cares about a stack of Peridots? If looking at a bank tab full of green stones makes you happy, then fill up a bank tab full of green stones.

The game ISN'T about those RP. Those are a means to an end. The end is playing the game and having fun.

If this game isn't fun for you, what's the point?

How exactly do you refine your artifact equipment? No, farming peridots is not fun, nor is clicking and dragging stuff from one window to another. Yet we are forced to do that starting from scratch again.

Try again.
    edited March 2015
    chrcore wrote: »
    No Ironzerg, there is no BENEFIT to the players.

Players would be much better off having SKIPPED module 6, gone and played something else, come back for Mod 7 and be in a better place than those who participated in Mod 6.

As an example. Lets say I had 600 stacks of peridots prior to mod 6. I use them all up on getting my stuff to legendary. Once Mod 7 rolls out, I have the equivalent of 240 stacks of peridots.

Player B, had 600 stacks but decided to take a break from the game after getting his mod 6 boons and didn't bother putting refining into his artifact equipment.

Guess how many stacks of peridots he will have for Module 7 (assuming he came back)? You guessed it! 600.

So explain to me how 240 stacks of peridots is better than 600?

This is the same as ANY game though.

You can say the EXACT same thing as glory.

Player A bought all the Profound gear. Player B quit the game and didnt. Player B came back when module was released and buys all the new stuff with his saved glory/seals. Player A has to re-farm it all.

Even if you just did this with CURRENCY as well its the same.

Player A spent 10 mil AD on Item X. Player B didnt. Player A has to refarm for new item Y, Player B buys new item Y.

Thats nearly any game made will have new gear making old obsolete. Thats how games work.

Now Ironzerg is saying OF THE TWO options:
    1) Added new levels to old equip
    2) Adding new equip

The #2 option is actually to the benefit of the players. Not that its a FREE benefit, but that 1) it is better of the two choices AND 2) that it is a FREE UPGRADE from the existing gear (proven in previous posts).

Now again, ARTIFACTS are actually the bigger problem since they DIDNT make new versions we can refine into but they made new levels - which we cant get any "boost" to achieving.

So people need to be complaining about artifacts not necessarily the equipment.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Thats nearly any game made will have new gear making old obsolete. Thats how games work.

Now Ironzerg is saying OF THE TWO options:
    1) Added new levels to old equip
    2) Adding new equip

The #2 option is actually to the benefit of the players. Not that its a FREE benefit, but that 1) it is better of the two choices AND 2) that it is a FREE UPGRADE from the existing gear (proven in previous posts).

Thank you. I'm glad my words weren't totally lost on everyone.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited March 2015
    This is the same as ANY game though.

You can say the EXACT same thing as glory.
    Player A spent 10 mil AD on Item X. Player B didnt. Player A has to refarm for new item Y, Player B buys new item Y.

That is all fine with respect to "gear". Farming gear can be fun and is to be expected (even the glory gear). The problem is Artifact gear requires farming gear and farming refining. I'm not sure anyone really likes the refining system and it's cost or farming the refining materials.

Previous modules were focused on replacing some gear but in many cases offering "alternative" gear rather than outright making previous gear out of date.

Clearly the artifact gear is about making money and not adding something fun for the players, as now not only do you need to replace the item, but farm/buy and point and click refining again.

With respect to glory, it's also a bit different. Since glory is capped at 50K and most folks are at 50K with tons and tons of grym coins to spare, it doesn't have that same ripped off feeling the artifacts give.

So perhaps the issue is that they should never have designed "artifact gear" that needs to be refined. It feels more like a shakedown, than new gear to farm and be excited about obtaining.
    edited March 2015
    That is all fine with respect to "gear". Farming gear can be fun and is to be expected (even the glory gear). The problem is Artifact gear requires farming gear and farming refining. I'm not sure anyone really likes the refining system and it's cost or farming the refining materials.

Previous modules were focused on replacing some gear but in many cases offering "alternative" gear rather than outright making previous gear out of date.

Clearly the artifact gear is about making money and not adding something fun for the players, as now not only do you need to replace the item, but farm/buy and point and click refining again.

With respect to glory, it's also a bit different. Since glory is capped at 50K and most folks are at 50K with tons and tons of grym coins to spare, it doesn't have that same ripped off feeling the artifacts give.

So perhaps the issue is that they should never have designed "artifact gear" that needs to be refined. It feels more like a shakedown, than new gear to farm and be excited about obtaining.

Dont know about you but "Farming gear can be fun" - I have almost NEVER had 'fun' farming gear. I had to run MC over 30 times for my Off hand set when Formorian was BIS. Maybe the first 5-10 times were fun but I assure you it was anything but fun when reflecting on the overall experience.

Also I HATED farming for my GF when I was trying to get Profound gear. This was back module 2 when everyone HAD to have an emblem to compete and GFs were a horrible class to play. But did I have fun? Not at all.... I would imagine a non BIS GWF or SW could share with this experience as those two classes are vastly under powered. Ever play under powered classes while ALSO being undergeared trying to farm glory from PVP against BIS characters? Its the opposite of fun.

Now thats just ONE exception with your statement. Overall some players have fun farming gear if you refer to dungeon farming. It CAN be fun but it CAN also be not fun. This entire thread is NOT about it being "fun" or not though, its about the system.

The new artifact gear doesnt require ANYTHING. All you have to do is take item A put it into Item B and BLAM - free upgrade. Now if you want to take it FURTHER thats on you, several players have already demonstrated the power difference in the items is very little when compared to what you get for FREE (old into new with no RP) and what you get maxed. The only major difference being the offensive slot. But you dont HAVE to upgrade. Its still nearly 95%+ of the same "power" of the maxed item.

Glory IS a little different but just as you say people are capped etc. There are alot of people I know that are ALSO sitting on a stock pile of RP waiting for the module, so those players will just do the same thing they will do with glory - buy the new stuff when they want - or "upgrade" their old stuff when they want.

Also the new RP system in module 6 will actually be all about professions. This seems to be hwo they want us to play. Also this RP is not bound so I expect to see more RP on the AH again.

ALSO - you should do some research because IronZerg proposed a GREAT EXP->RP system that would help alleviate some of these issues.

Again the MAIN point here is they had TWO choices:
    1) Add more levels to existing gear
    2) Add new gear that you use your old stuff INTO.

CLEARLY #2 is the best choice for MANY MANY reasons. If you cant see that, I cant help you.
  • learch123learch123 Member Posts: 514 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015

CLEARLY #2 is the best choice for MANY MANY reasons. If you cant see that, I cant help you.

clearly 2 is only good if you get 100% return on invesment otherwis 1 is better
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Here's my question. You have the choice of two items below. Which do you chose?

Be honest:

is2sXKy.jpg

Option A or Option B?

Now the reveal (and this is obvious to anyone who's been on test).

H6yOJLC.jpg

This is what happened when I made my new Artifact Weapon, and fed my level 60 Legendary Orb into it. The result? I got a better weapon. Even without the extra gem slot, it's a far superior weapon.

That's right. It's an upgrade in every sense of the word. If you had given me a choice of trading my Legendary Orb in for the other Epic Orb, I would have taken it in a heart beat.

And what I've viewing as a bonus is this. I can still (if I'm crazy enough) invest more RP into the new orb to make it even better:

yyu2BSk.jpg

Granted, refining my "sacred" Legendary weapon only got me 40% to the new Legendary tier. But if I had the discipline to wait until a 2x RP Weekend, that will get me 80% there, and "only" about 900k RP to the new Legendary status. Which ain't bad considering the enormous upgrade being presented to me.

So after looking at things side by side like that, I'm perfectly fine with the changes. Most players should actually see the RP they invested in their current stock of weapons stretched farther than in their current situation.

Nobody is moving backwards. Nothing is being taken away.

It's fine. In fact, players are going to get a boost by these changes.

Will not cuz if you want to feed up you offhand you need agan multiple [Cube of Augmentation] to unlock you already unlocked power and stat also there is the belt you will only get 3 stat down from 4.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ...on the bright side: This time we'll at least get some significant amount of our investment back - not like last round 1300 RP or somesuch for our BiS VT/MC weapon...
    edited March 2015
    The offhands are, unfortunately, going to require more work.

cImN66E.jpg
    (right click, view image for larger size)

But again, the MH/OH combination is still substantially more powerful that the Dragon set, and I'd happily trade (and will trade) my Dragon set in for the Elemental when it goes live.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited March 2015

Only 2 choices?

I can think of at least 2 more trivial options. They could have gotten rid of artifact equipment altogether or given a 100% return on RP from a like artifact piece.

Even if I had unlimited stacks of RP, I just don't want to go through the drag and drop again.
  • ucanthandleucanthandle Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Only 2 choices?

I can think of at least 2 more trivial options. They could have gotten rid of artifact equipment altogether or given a 100% return on RP from a like artifact piece.

Even if I had unlimited stacks of RP, I just don't want to go through the drag and drop again.

No one wants to drag and drop again. That is something they should fix. Even adding a vendor that added a merchant that would let you trade in stacks of RP items for a single RP stone (trade in 99 peridots for 49500 RP stone). This could even match the type being used to stop people from trading something like a dark enchant stack for something that refines radiants. I would even be willing for these stones not to be able to crit for the luxury of not having to do stack ofter stack. If people were refining 50k-250k at a time I'm sure most people would not consider it near as tedious. An item trade system is already in place for some of the holiday events so its something I know they can add.
    edited March 2015
    worse idea is slap everyone in the face and tell them the gear they farmed up and spent thousands of hours refining are now worthless
    i only have i piece on artifact gear legendary the rest im working as hard as i can and now i got to do it again
    so yes im all for a 100% return on investment
    edited March 2015
    learch123 wrote: »
    worse idea is slap everyone in the face and tell them the gear they farmed up and spent thousands of hours refining are now worthless
    i only have i piece on artifact gear legendary the rest im working as hard as i can and now i got to do it again
    so yes im all for a 100% return on investment

And you will end up with a better item in Module 6. It's not worthless.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited March 2015
    And you will end up with a better item in Module 6. It's not worthless.

its 40% of what i put into it and with the new stat curve it is a slap in the face
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It seems to me, that people are reduced to arguing against getting better gear with zero additional refinement required because they just hate refinement. So even if they get something BETTER from it with no additional work required, they will still find reasons to bash it.

The good news is that you can completely avoid refinement if you want - don't wear artifact gear.
  • ucanthandleucanthandle Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    What's the matter with that?

Giving some people free items because they were around for something that should not have happened in the first place. If people that have fully refined artifacts and have to do 0 work refining while others that did not get the cheap easy refinement have to grind and grind there is a huge problem. The game should be available to everyone, not just those that were around for an error by the devs. New players is how a game survives. Sure a dedicated base is what supports a game but slowly a few of those leave one by one. Without new people coming to the game it dies. If you enjoy playing a dead game or want the game to die there is nothing wrong with that. If you want the game to succeed and actually create balance there is a HUGE problem with it.

People having fully refined items for free will also stop the complaints about a system that is flawed atm and takes way to much time for too little reward. This is something I would like to see eventually fixed, not a bandaid put over it to appease people temporarily. You cant do small things that make a few people happy without addressing the real issue, it just creates more problems in the end.
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    That RP was not free. It was very expensive, unless compared to the current cost of RP. I spent spent millions AD and even a bit of cash on my Orb, Greatsword, Bow, and 2 Symbols, not to mention 4 belts, a cloak and 3 off hands. Should veterans also give up all the purchases they made when Zen was 200 AD per Zen? I think not.

We were lead to believe that Arti gear would be BiS for a long time. If it wasn't said outright, it was implied by keeping original T1 and T2 gear BiS for 5 modules.

If driving veterans away from the game, because they've already bought everything the Zen Store has to offer is the goal, then this is a great idea.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    pointsman wrote: »
    It seems to me, that people are reduced to arguing against getting better gear with zero additional refinement required because they just hate refinement. So even if they get something BETTER from it with no additional work required, they will still find reasons to bash it.

The good news is that you can completely avoid refinement if you want - don't wear artifact gear.

It is NOT a better item for FREE, the level 60 items were made obsolete, and the transfer has a cost.
    Saying it's free is overly simplifying things, things have value, and if the item i have lost it's value then that lost of value is the cost.

cost:

The 'free' is a loss of 60% of the RP invested into them, while true that you can 'trade' your weapon for another without additional cost, there is a loss in the process and it is a significant one.
    Additionally, the value of an item can be viewed from a point of buying power, 'I have 100$ what i can buy with it ?' And in this example 'I have 4mil RP, what I can get with it?'.

not so best:

People compare the result vs live, this is not correct, the item should be compared to it's 'ranking' among it's fellow weapons and those are the level 70 items on preview.
    Today's legendary artifact is BIS and has the highest base damage and highest stats, the next options are the Fallen dragon (VT) and Famorian (MC) sets (and those were BIS for about a year or even more).
    The resulted artifact you will gain from the 'free' gift -> the level 48 artifact is worse compared to most stuff you get at level 70.

While I'm against all the endless whiner-y each mod about changes, and endless bashing there is no reason to sugar-coat what happens with the weapons (or artifact gear) while not the end of the world it is also not the greatest gift to the player base. Yes equipment becomes obsolete in MMOs and it's the way of life, but, having VT/MC sets last for about a year and they are much easier to make than the legendary artifact weapons that were much more expensive, harder to get and lasted only about a single mod is not expected nor is a good thing. The main argument for the artifact equipment was that while it is hard to refine it should be done over a long period of time and last for a long period of time, this argument was just proven invalid by this mod.

An ability to trade 1:1 those items for example, a vendor that will trade high rank weapon artifacts of level 50,55,60
    to a 50,55,60 of the new elemental set (perhaps even with some AD or Campaign currency) would have been a good compromise. Or a regular loss of 20% -> RP transfer to 80% and a gain of 160% during double RP would have solved most of the issues with the lack of RP.

And yes, without the ability to feed and transfer the artifact the loss would have been not 60% but the whole 100%, It has not escaped me, the gripe is that that 60% (or 20% at double RP) loss is very significant unless RP suitable for artifact gear becomes much easier to get.

It is what it is.
  • thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    In addition to the above post, another COST that no one seems to be mentioning is the additional linues required for barter to get all these new 70s. Yay more grind, in addition to losing previous rp.

I do like his idea of bartering old 60 version for the 70. that would be nice.