What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Elemental Evil Preview Patch Notes NW.45.20150122b.1

Comments

• Options
    h4rd4sironh4rd4siron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hi. When will open NeverwinterPreview? (sorry for my english)
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    h4rd4siron wrote: »
    Hi. When will open NeverwinterPreview? (sorry for my english)

Sometime next week. They had problems and needed to shut it down to repair it.
  • Options
    zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    zebular wrote: »
    They were examples, and no.. I know several GWFs that put most CW's dps to shame. I cannot fathom attaining their greatness, but keep trying and my GWFs just keep getting better. I just don't care that much for melee classes to invest that much into my GWFs.

the bizarre and biased qualitative difference between gwfs and cws is not matter of discussion, is a documentad and substantiated historically complaint. point

2 or 3 perfomances against others 2 or 3 perfomances here are irrelevant.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm seeing a disturbing trend in the conversation that I'd like to point out. It seems like I'm hearing, "just use DPS to make maximum use of LS, and forget the regen". Barring the issue of being incapacitated (and don't tell me that you've never been flash-frozen, it happens to everyone), not everyone is high-DPS.

My HR sure isn't. What she does have is high survivability and some measure of crowd control and aggro management. In the Tiamat run, for example, I don't melt adds because I can't: what I *can* do is root them, debuff them, aggro them, DoT them, and keep them well and truly angry at me (instead of at miss Linu) while I dodge and weave until the real nukers can get to them. Hence, my concentration on the proper use of regen (as intended: PASSIVE healing) instead of lifesteal (since my DPS is mediocre). It sounds a whole lot like everyone is being pigeonholed into a DPS! DPS! D-P-S! build.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    xtremozxtremoz Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    mattock13 wrote: »
    I've been thinking about the LS and regen synergy. It seems like LS will come in big spikes with excess HP going to waste, making that aspect of the incoming healing gained from regen irrelevant. What if LS was adjusted to provide a constant steal at, for example, 20% severity and then "crit" at a higher severity. That would provide a little consistency in the healing, and the benefit from regen, and still provide a large amount of unpredictability.

I'm still looking forward to trying things out when preview is back up. It had to be a bummer for the devs to rush to get this up for the weekend, only to have to pull it when they are headed out the door.

If u have High dps, yes alot of the HP from life steal will go to waste but regeneration boosting life steal will work for low dmg classes i think like GF, instead of 2-3k dmg giving 2-3k HP it may turn that into 5-6k. remember that not all classes will do more dmg than the HP they have, if your class do more dmg per hit than the HP u have u will not need regeneration, but if u have 50k hp+ and you hit and average of 3-4k u will need regeneration boosting Life steal.
  • Options
    vadimt83vadimt83 Member Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm not sure if anyone in this massive thread haven't mentioned it but:
    What about temptation warlocks?
    Their healing is based on lifesteal. If lifesteal becomes unreliable that would render the whole build irrelevant.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well....

I just finished finishing 1st in Tiamat. While the rest of the zerg had to start on white on the 2nd stage because it was at full health, I went alone to red. I whittled it down to 2 bars and my max-HP, max-defense, max-regen HR deliberately took 2 red dragon breaths to the face so she could save the gem for when the others got to her last.

And they wound up needing it, too.

Edit: make that twice in a row. Present-day regen is neither problematic nor useless -- people just don't take advantage of it.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    vadimt83 wrote: »
    Their healing is based on lifesteal. If lifesteal becomes unreliable that would render the whole build irrelevant.

Oh, it has come to my attention as well. The same with combat HR, LS is a big portion of their build as well. I am very curious to see what happens.
    hustin1 wrote: »
    I just finished finishing 1st in Tiamat. While the rest of the zerg had to start on white on the 2nd stage because it was at full health, I went alone to red. I whittled it down to 2 bars and my max-HP, max-defense, max-regen HR deliberately took 2 red dragon breaths to the face so she could save the gem for when the others got to her last.

It's just a stat (regen) where others prefer to go offensive and rely on LS . If that's how you enjoy the game defensively, sure, it's your toon and your build. When I first went combat, I went highly defensive. As my survivabilty went up, I shifted towards DPS. Different strokes for different folks. There is nothing wrong with playing a support and CC role.

Again, the devs are wanting to make players rely on healers and we can only wait at this point until preview is back up. Then hopefully they will take into account the player feedback. This is all preliminary and far from final.

Though with the red dragon breath, HR's can easily dodge through it with the 6 we have :)
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015

I'm trying to remember what the feat said, as I skimmed it. But I think it was set to be that 200% of the ls amount would be done to party members. Considering that live is 125% I think this was a rebalance that when the SW does proc ls 200% of the total is done to the group. I won't swear to it though as I did not test it.
  • Options
    alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    charononus wrote: »
    I'm trying to remember what the feat said, as I skimmed it. But I think it was set to be that 200% of the ls amount would be done to party members. Considering that live is 125% I think this was a rebalance that when the SW does proc ls 200% of the total is done to the group. I won't swear to it though as I did not test it.

I don't think that change ever went live. Soul Bonding still shows 200% life steal on allies on tempt lock on live server. I was a little confused as I remember reading early mod 5 notes it was to be nerfed to 125% but didn't follow up on it since I no longer play her. Either the tooltip is wrong or they decided not to.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • Options
    pricetagcloudpricetagcloud Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I am VERY interested about this as well, as I have a 14.6K temptlock. Tiamat I'm usually, almost assuredly 1st, or at least top 8 because of the obscene amounts of LS healing I provide coupled with decent, albeit a bit mediocre dps. Very reliable in dungeons and skirmishes as well, save for KR (don't have black ice defense :S).

Most of the changes seem to indirectly benefit the SW and healing classes with it making us viable for groups and the game about what D&D is intended for: *balanced* group play. The lifesteal chance bothers me, but that with good regen in the party should make it more exciting and make all classes more viable. I don't PvP and I know life steal didn't (as far as present-time) have much bearing into self-healing, so I couldn't speak about that. With our dot-able attacks and near-constant aoe dots like BoVA and DT, I think it'll mitigate the lessened reliability of LS. The game should be more fun though with death becoming relevant to even the 20k gs guys now and them needing a healer (finally).

I haven't tried preview yet, but I am excited because I want to see if temptation tree will become a great option for party play.

I don't really care for the whole logging off thing they implemented, but that's how it is in WoW and it slows people down. People nowadays are so quick to do things, finish, come back and off they go without any worry that while they were logged off their character could've gotten ganked. This may put stress on the PE instances I think, so hopefully they make more maps (probably add servers, IDK their architecture). Also, they should modify this so that "safe havens" (places where you're surrounded by NPCs and have a campfire like taverns and such) should be included with the instant log off. Our characters need to take off their gear and nap and drink mead, so this should make sense, right?

I don't see the point in increasing item levels unless the content makes it not only necessary but economically possible to do so (not having to spend ad to get rp just to *hopefully* raise one item one level after 6 hours of farming).

I guess that's cool what they're doing to companions but to upgrade them is already a tedious task for something like what? an extra 200-2000pts increase over so many levels? (very farfetched about 2000pts, but I was covering my bases since I have no truly awesome companion).

Professions deal I would lump that up with what I said about item levels.

They already said they were changing feats and powers and stuff to accomodate the changes (i'm assuming for life steal and regen), so no worries.

Enemies more than 2 levels SHOULD BEAT THE <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> OUT OF YOU PRAISE THE LORD/ALLAH/FSM!

They probably made the changes to life steal and regen to make party play a better option. I don't blame them. If anyone wants to single-play a game, why did you pick dungeons and dragons?

I kind of hope they would let the IWD pots be usable for both PvP and PvE since I find them useful as such.

Renaming GS and changing the system involved is dumb considering GS is a broke system to effectively judge how good someone is (see: comment about my fights with Tiamat.) All they're doing is renaming everything. Right now, I see the anti-glass cannon 20K+ gs guys running around and the only reason they got the GS that high is because of stats being inappropriately weighted, so they aim to stack those stats. Although, if they were to implement this approach, I would recommend they weigh things more for stats like damage/healing, defense, deflect, crit chance, crit severity, then weigh less on regen, recovery, lifesteal (which I believe is weighed fine right now). The table saying who the top healer, top dmg dealer, blah blah is stupid and I get that it's bragging rights, but if you're only good at taking dmg and can deal a disproportionally lower amount of dmg or healing, then I won't consider you a viable person for party play. I've already said that I do fairly mediocre dmg, but I still get 3rd in dmg, 1st in healing, and 1st or 2nd in dmg taken over most gfs. I should get bragging rights, not you. Now what about the guys specializing in debuffs? I can only debuff a small percentage of dmg taken from enemies. Those guys are a special case and I laud you for what you do and can't wait to have you in the party as long as you don't die as often or do dmg as often or something in between preferrably.

I'm glad they stopped scaling those specific level scaling equipment pieces at 60. New content calls for new gear, so why not let the guys who need to get to level 60 use those, and we can use them to refine our artifacts we need to or salvage our's for ad and get better gear?

That's pretty much all I got to say. I may be way off-base for intelligent conversation, but they are my thoughts. I hope I enjoy this game more knowing that my life steal won't save me as often.

Side note: Life steal chance/severity? Is this a thing to keep in mind and can we use stuff at our disposal to increase either? If say I have 2700 LS (a lot for nearly any class, but it works for me) will this adjust my life steal chance? What is the base life steal chance right now? 5%? What's the point in having life steal if I can't reliably heal a party if I'm the healer? I think I'd be ok with being an off-healer if and only if I can have either A: extra tankiness or B: extra DPS. But yeah a 5% chance would be a no-go for temptlock being a dedicated healer-dps. If this was even like 25% I would see this as being ok, atleast as a base life steal chance.
    SW: Callisto Shedevil. Soul Binder Temptation 16.1k GS
    GUILD: ~Myrmidons~

Would Love to party up with people for pretty much anything!
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    GFs are, put frankly, going to be f***** by the LS and regen changes. The one class that bleeds life even when it is supposedly ''immune'' and the one class that cannot rapidly break out of combat. Worst DPS to profit from Life Steal and absolutely reliant on regen to survive.

Worst bloody idea they have come up with yet.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I'm going to theorise no at this point although I've not had the chance to play my Warlock. Reasons:

* Warlocks get a lot of life steal on their gear so they are able to stack it more easily.
    * Stat curves have been changed and "they are far friendlier with stacking stats, meaning you can chase stats much harder than you could before without being strongly penalized". I take this to mean that if you choose to stack life steal you will benefit more from the higher value than you did previously.

Ultimately if there are issues with the temptation Warlocks ability to heal it would be easy enough to add something to one of their late paragon feats to help, perhaps + life steal severity.
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    To the multitude of CWs complaining that they cannot handle the aggro they draw there is a simnple solution. Re-spec Oppressor. You will lose a little bit of OMGZOOOM DPS. You will also be imminently survivable because mobs that cannot move do not attack you. Bonus points for wearing T1 Archemage. Extra special points for slotting a frost enchant. And yes I actually have a a CW with this build. Honestly LS has been a bit broken for a while. When I can LS for 38K on a toon with 35K something is wrong.
  • Options
    doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    query523 wrote: »
    To the multitude of CWs complaining that they cannot handle the aggro they draw there is a simnple solution. Re-spec Oppressor. You will lose a little bit of OMGZOOOM DPS. You will also be imminently survivable because mobs that cannot move do not attack you. Bonus points for wearing T1 Archemage. Extra special points for slotting a frost enchant. And yes I actually have a a CW with this build. Honestly LS has been a bit broken for a while. When I can LS for 38K on a toon with 35K something is wrong.

I have this build to some degree, I have a CW in Archmage ... its like being able to endless strangle freeze stun mobs ... rather fun actually. at 14k she can run just about anything, threw a bark shield on her for good measure, yeah she doesn't kill mobs nearly as fast as my thaumaturge but she really does live up to the name "control wizard". I have two companions sitting in the bank waiting for me to decide if I want to bind them to her or put them on my main CW in case I decide to maybe respec?

I run a normal frost, normal barkshield ... oppressor spec with orb of imposition. I added a bit of debuff to her as a master of flame, works pretty well with rimefire. She is fun to play but a bit slow on the soloing but again as you pointed out she is VERY survivable even at 14k.

I have ran IWD on her with fair ease although large groups can be trouble when they hit really hard.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    What an odd game it would be if Control Wizards used Control to deal with mobs ;)
  • Options
    iamstarvingiamstarving Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited January 2015
    A good 75% of players are struggling, let me repeat, STRUGGLING to get legendary artifacts, rank 9, not event rank 10s and legendary artifact equipment. For some of us, getting 1 legendary means we don't have to worry about that 1 item and work on the other 6 artifact and artifact equipment. Increasing the level is just going to make it harder to achieve resulting in players leaving the game. Also, increasing the companion level to legendary means the epic companions that people bought are going to need to be upgraded resulting in paying more money. Is there anything in this mod that is not a clear cash grab? For once, listen to your customers. Stop punching yourself in the face. Please, we like this game. Why else would we as a community voice out instead of just leaving?
    He was number 1.
  • Options
    poisoncloudpoisoncloud Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Change making regeneration working only out of combat would render this stat absolutely useless... In the dynamic content we are barely ever out of combat so healing then would not be happening almost ever. Also why make it dual with Incoming Healing Bonus?
    And yes, change to lifesteal would require a major rework on warlocks.
    And wasn't lifesteal made more effective at some point because gwfs had hard time staying alive in dungeons aoeing?
  • Options
    actausactaus Member Posts: 64
    edited January 2015
    I'm happy to hear that Gear Score will be replaced with average item level. Because people are too crazy about GS numbers and think that, a player with GS 16k can beat 14k - 15k when it's not 100% true. It should be calculated by the gear and your enchantments. If you want to know more about that person, just inspect him/her. Good change. Now, just how they going to finalize it, looking forward to it.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    actaus wrote: »
    I'm happy to hear that Gear Score will be replaced with average item level. Because people are too crazy about GS numbers and think that, a player with GS 16k can beat 14k - 15k when it's not 100% true. It should be calculated by the gear and your enchantments. If you want to know more about that person, just inspect him/her. Good change. Now, just how they going to finalize it, looking forward to it.

The problem I see is that I don't think it counts any enchantment. There is a mountain of difference in my power if I pull all my enchants out of my gear.
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I hope, that they will implement some decent gear or dont put too much weight into the armor set. Otherwise DCs and maybe other classes will need a 'fake' set for the que and switch back to HP, HV etc. in the dungeon, like in Kessels.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    charononus wrote: »
    The problem I see is that I don't think it counts any enchantment. There is a mountain of difference in my power if I pull all my enchants out of my gear.

I don't see this becoming a huge problem. I mean the difference between good gear and R7s and good gear and R!10s is minimal except maybe radiants in defense slots because there are no diminishing returns in HP. And the HP are fairly obvious whenever you inspect anyway. I don't think people are going to start running around without enchants because it does not effect score any more than they used lesser weapon enchants because it did not effect GS. Comes back to why GS was such a bad metric. I mean my build at 21k does the same thing it did at 18K only a little bit better....
  • Options
    whereangelscrywhereangelscry Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It says that the shard is up. but it says that the server is still not available. :/
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    It says that the shard is up. but it says that the server is still not available. :/

They took it down Friday for an emergency issue with it. They said it will be back up sometime today (hopefully). Just wait til later, as they are not even in the office at this hour.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    evaliraevalira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I don't understand why they even changed regen. NO ONE has ever said regen was a problem. It was always Life Steal that enabled CW's to stay alive without the need for a tank or healer, not regen. Now the GF gets another nerf because LS is useless because our dps is useless. LS only works well using KC or ET in a big mobs, otherwise it is pathetic, but combined with regen it gave some survivability, now we need a healer to tank. Do CW's need another class to do their job? NO.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    evalira wrote: »
    I don't understand why they even changed regen. NO ONE has ever said regen was a problem. It was always Life Steal that enabled CW's to stay alive without the need for a tank or healer, not regen. Now the GF gets another nerf because LS is useless because our dps is useless. LS only works well using KC or ET in a big mobs, otherwise it is pathetic, but combined with regen it gave some survivability, now we need a healer to tank. Do CW's need another class to do their job? NO.

regen should be buffed not nerfed if something

how many pve players do you see running with 1.5k+ regen? i dont get them
  • Options
    zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    so, make two classes dependent in your respective job - while others do much more than they should, making the presence of the same unnecessary - just to promote the new melee defender is a good thing?

trick your playerbase with a so sleazy move instead of bringing real quality to the game is a good thing?

maybe the playerbase who dislike fighters roll a paladin. because i hate this class now.and this class, I have voted for, has even launched
  • Options
    s1lv3rdrgnforums1lv3rdrgnforum Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The moderators have said over and over in the feedback forums that it is EARLY in testing. This is their idea in balancing regen/lifesteal with what they believe is good for the *long term* of Neverwinter. They look at more than one mod into the future (as evidenced by some of the dev posts). It doesnt mean it's a GOOD idea. Test it, show how it fails, report it. That's the basic idea here. Complaining and whining about something on preview does absolutely no-one any good. They want data and they want opinion supported by testing.
    Bedlam: Creating chaos as a MI Exec TR
    Avariel Merilwen: Burn baby, MoF/Rene
    Aejun The Silver: Devoted to Healing, DevOP/Justice
    Mina Rosepetal: Super Natural, Pathfinder/Melee
    Frost: Benchwarmer, Soulbinder/Fury
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    yes there is no reason to whine about it without testing and i think that those 2 needed a change.
    about regen that change should be a buff not an overnerf.
  • Options
    whereangelscrywhereangelscry Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    kreatyve wrote: »
    They took it down Friday for an emergency issue with it. They said it will be back up sometime today (hopefully). Just wait til later, as they are not even in the office at this hour.

Thank you for the reply :D
This discussion has been closed.