test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Spellstorm Renegade Guide: Death is the Best Crowd Control

Comments

• ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    1) Yes, you need to make the killing blow
    2) Taking the time to charge up storm pillar for the bonus is a DPS loss
    3) Yes, there is no interaction with RoE and the debuff it will apply, like all debuffs, is in addition to ArP. Think of ArP as removing a unique layer of defense from the mobs, and debuffs further increasing the damage they take.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • bolverkr1bolverkr1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Thnx for the answer; i was wondering about RoE because the description says it lowers mitigation not increasing dmg recieved and thought it works as an arp boost.
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User

Yes, pretty much, at least from the tests of my friends (I still don't own one to test with). I know a CW who has about 70-75% crit, same spec as me, and owlbear increased DPS by 12%.​​

This is interesting, I didnt test it but 12% seems too much for a build with 70%+ crit. Unless it procs from storm spell but who knows, is Cryptic so logic is well.. you know.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    @bolverkr1

most CWs never will use storm pillar, it's the weakest at will we have. It takes far too long to charge up, by the time you charge it up, half of the mobs will be dead.

Ray of enfeeblement does increase damage even if you are capped on Arpen. However, unless you are using it in single target scenarios (i.e. Bosses, dragons, etc), there are other encounters that will be more effective in pve.
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    I have 84% crit chance and it makes up 18% of my damage.
    It procs from storm spell?
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
  • katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    It procs from storm spell?

Ir procs from stacking chill. Not entirely sure about storm spell as I don't have one yet D: (Feel free to send em one if anyone has spares!)​​
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
    It does not proc off storm spell, it does seem to proc off of assailant and elemental empowerment though if you are thaum.
    edited February 2016
    I understand, thats why I was telling it was too much, I use a renegade build :) That seems a bug because those are feats not encounter powers, but maybe is WAI because other things works like this if the feat is activated by an Encounter power
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User

Is that "sheet crit" or average crit with bondings procs?
    niadan said:

Is that "sheet crit" or average crit with bondings procs?
    Average on ACT across an entire eGWD.
    Good....you are confirming I am doing something right! lol
  • hermione#7016 hermione Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Is the drow armor a necessity in epic demo? Apart from the set bonuses it looks quite... Poor. If I have to wear it for the skirmish I will but if it doesn't really matter then I definitely won't
    I wear two Dusk, 1 Dragonflight and 1 Drow all for stats. No real need for the whole set for any reason.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User

Is the drow armor a necessity in epic demo? Apart from the set bonuses it looks quite... Poor. If I have to wear it for the skirmish I will but if it doesn't really matter then I definitely won't

@hermoine Nope. The bonuses look nice, but aren't necessary to do the content. In fact, I didn't notice much of a difference with or without the set bonus. Again, pick you pieces based on the stats you need.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • fey#9320 fey Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Thank you for the great guide!
    Post edited by fey#9320 on
    Any improvements to my companion set-up? I run, Mercenary(summoned) then have fire archon, air archon, blink dog and earth archon(will be replaced by Erinyes when I save enough AD).

Any improvements to my companion set-up? I run, Mercenary(summoned) then have fire archon, air archon, blink dog and earth archon(will be replaced by Erinyes when I save enough AD).

replace the earth archon with an int devourer and forget about the erinyes.
    edited February 2016
    Exact same bonus as the blink dog though?
    EDIT: just seen the slight difference.
  • zargonsevenzargonseven Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    So which power do you recommend advancing to rank IV first? Is it disintegrate, storm spell or maybe chilling cloud? Thanks, enjoying your build, just hit 70 recently.

Edit - I went through the thread and a few months ago you said to increase chilling presence first, so if that is still good I will do that. Afraid to spend that last point after respec!
    Post edited by zargonseven on
    http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/cw?b=23ci:k6rwk5:8dep:5tb7d,13j3icf:1z00u00:1z05u0v:1000000&h=0&p=mof
    With Critical Conflagration+Chilling Presence does as much damage as zergs build.

http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/cw?b=23ci:k6rwk5:8dep:5tb7d,13j3iei:1z00u00:1z05u0v:1000000&h=0&p=ssm
    With Storm Spell+Chilling Presence does 25% more damage then zergs build.

http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/cw?b=23ci:k6rwk5:8dep:5tb7d,13j3iei:1000000:1z00u00:1z050uv&h=0&p=mof
    With Critical Conflagration + Swath of Destruction Does far less damage then zergs build, but offers more team utility.

The trick to playing thaum is you actually have to position yourself for combat advantage. The reason zerg concludes that Thaum and Renegade do roughly the same damage is because he is so used to playing with nightmare wizardry and always having combat advantage, that when testing he does not go to an active effort to get combat advantage the old fashioned way. Having combat advantage roughly boosts your damage by around 20-30% and that loss of combat advantage damage is what causes him to come to the conclusions he does. A MoF thaum correctly played with the spec listed above does as much damage as zergs build, in hypothetical target with large HP situations, they can even do more damage then zergs build if they use swath+CP. There is still a lot of experimentation and investigating to be done with CW, the nice thing about the class is unlike say HR, you are not pigeonholed into playing a single build if you want to be competitive and there is room to specialize your character. I am still trying to work out all the different ways you can do it and it sure is a fun process.
    edited February 2016
    New player with spinning head. I normally play a wizard (or healer) character and am wondering ... CW for new player with no equipment and limited budget a good choice? Mainly PvE, must be able to solo and contribute when grouped. Companions seem confusing, although quasit bring back memories.

Have tried CW so far to level 15. Not great when lag happens, but game forgiving low level. When everything "clicks", the CW seems to be pure fun!
  • zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User
    fey#9320 said:

New player with spinning head. I normally play a wizard (or healer) character and am wondering ... CW for new player with no equipment and limited budget a good choice? Mainly PvE, must be able to solo and contribute when grouped. Companions seem confusing, although quasit bring back memories.

Have tried CW so far to level 15. Not great when lag happens, but game forgiving low level. When everything "clicks", the CW seems to be pure fun!

Highest low investment/high result ratio currently lies upon OP (paladin) dirty feets. second to him is probably faithful DC (cleric) with gift of haste, u dont rly need much beside good feats and right skills to be useful as dc in lowend content. Both are (can be) healers, so it match ur secondary choice i guess. None of them requires investing in elol set (instead of dps classes) so it makes job a lot easier for newbie.

If it happens u will be staying for longer, sooner or later u will lvl up most of the classes, if not better reasons, for class artifacts (btw DC has great one)

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

Thank you Kain for (fast and) informative response! Points me in the right direction and makes sense for me. Prob end up playing Cleric or OP to start, but keeping CW for later play. Happy hunting.
    fey#9320 said:

Thank you Kain for (fast and) informative response! Points me in the right direction and makes sense for me. Prob end up playing Cleric or OP to start, but keeping CW for later play. Happy hunting.

MoF ren also has a low investment, you there to act as a buffbot and to help the party, your help is not measured or improved much by gear, the buffs are just as good with amazing gear as with bad gear.
    Thanks Fabricant, good to know that too. Yes, planning to play long term. A wizard shall be in my future too ... after I learn more; lots to learn :)

fey#9320 said:

MoF ren also has a low investment, you there to act as a buffbot and to help the party, your help is not measured or improved much by gear, the buffs are just as good with amazing gear as with bad gear.
    @thefabricant Is right on here. The buffs a Renegade can bring to the table almost always outweigh lower gear, when running with a highly geared group. The MoF has some extra debuffs they can apply, which also help.

But with the Spellstorm build here, you'll have no problem soloing single player content, like daily and stronghold quests, as well as providing great buffs and solid DPS, even at lower gear levels. And I disagree that the OP requires little gear investment...if you want to play the overly powerful perma-bubble OP, you need to invest a good amount in recovery or +AP gear, and without the perma-bubble running, the OP is a fairly lackluster class, and extremely grinding to solo stuff with...the DPS difference between even a highly geared OP and a low geared CW is substantial, and you'll notice that soloing is much easier on a CW than an OP.

I have both. I've leveled both and played both in dungeons and solo. The OP is by far one of my least favorite classes to grind out dailies on, and that was a big reason I only play him if the group really, really, really needs a tank...which these days is rarely, if ever. With the lack of challenging content, and the ease of PvE, the game meta has shifted back to MOAR DPS!, which doesn't necessarily favor an OP.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1

But with the Spellstorm build here, you'll have no problem soloing single player content, like daily and stronghold quests, as well as providing great buffs and solid DPS, even at lower gear levels. And I disagree that the OP requires little gear investment...if you want to play the overly powerful perma-bubble OP, you need to invest a good amount in recovery or +AP gear, and without the perma-bubble running, the OP is a fairly lackluster class, and extremely grinding to solo stuff with...the DPS difference between even a highly geared OP and a low geared CW is substantial, and you'll notice that soloing is much easier on a CW than an OP.

Interesting, and makes sense. All classes refer to gearing up, etc. So here are some thoughts:

1. This build makes sense to me, and includes buffing parties. So I assume it can contribute.
    2. Being brand new, I am hesitant to play a healer or tank until I learn more of the game. Which brings me back to a dps and/or control type.
    3. I am an "average" player but have lots of experience and, when paying attention, this class can be very enjoyable (even low level).

Thank you again everyone. This helps a lot. Now if only I could decide upon a companion. Hard to resist dread warrior low level :)

fey#9320 said:

@thefabricant Is right on here. The buffs a Renegade can bring to the table almost always outweigh lower gear, when running with a highly geared group. The MoF has some extra debuffs they can apply, which also help.

I have both. I've leveled both and played both in dungeons and solo. The OP is by far one of my least favorite classes to grind out dailies on, and that was a big reason I only play him if the group really, really, really needs a tank...which these days is rarely, if ever. With the lack of challenging content, and the ease of PvE, the game meta has shifted back to MOAR DPS!, which doesn't necessarily favor an OP.
    I disagree that OP is expensive, sure, if you measure a good OP solely by its ability to perma bubble then its expensive, but you can go devotion and the power of shield of faith+bond+vow+prism will keep almost all parties alive (the exception being really bad parties) and the AP gain on devotion is so much better that even at 1.8k ilvl you can perma daily (assuming you use RA). Alternatively, you can play protection and keep up the bubble 80% of the time and whilst that means that for 1/5th of the fight your party is vulnerable, any party that needs a bubble uptime of 100% probably doesn't deserve that dungeon victory anyhow.
    Quick question on artifacts for newbies. Since artifacts will change, why not get Aurora's Whole Realm Catalogue for the merchant summon? Or is the plus crit far more important?