test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Spellstorm Renegade Guide: Death is the Best Crowd Control

Comments

• c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User

-It procs off of every single hit of Abyss of Chaos. The Paragon feat by itself only does around 5-6k damage. By itself, not that impressive. But since the Lightning Enchantment procs off of each hit and acts like an encounter, it also procs Infantile Compensation with each target hit by Abyss of Chaos/Lightning Enchantment.

I like to see a good Rene who knows how to utilize Steal Time. Most of the [pro]CWs completely forgot what a beast Steal Time encounter actually is, especially with the [abortcasting] insta CD option.

Especially in a combo with high WIS oppressor.

At the given time I'd rather to see Renegade buffs than a silly thaum build trying to outdps a gwf whilst carrying a trans Dread or trans Vorpal thinking "Hey, this will help me like it did in MOD5" ... Because Critical Severity is SO GOOD on a 30k Steal Time, right? Right? Hahaha

Gj on a very viable and unique build.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • spiritualxblspiritualxbl Member Posts: 66 Arc User

-It procs off of every single hit of Abyss of Chaos. The Paragon feat by itself only does around 5-6k damage. By itself, not that impressive. But since the Lightning Enchantment procs off of each hit and acts like an encounter, it also procs Infantile Compensation with each target hit by Abyss of Chaos/Lightning Enchantment.

I like to see a good Rene who knows how to utilize Steal Time. Most of the [pro]CWs completely forgot what a beast Steal Time encounter actually is, especially with the [abortcasting] insta CD option.

Especially in a combo with high WIS oppressor.

At the given time I'd rather to see Renegade buffs than a silly thaum build trying to outdps a gwf whilst carrying a trans Dread or trans Vorpal thinking "Hey, this will help me like it did in MOD5" ... Because Critical Severity is SO GOOD on a 30k Steal Time, right? Right? Hahaha

Gj on a very viable and unique build.
    Thanks man. The basis of the build is ST cancellation+IC proc+Abyss+Lightning. We Tabbed ST and it's just as consistent as Nightmare Wizardry, since you can keep CA up at all times with cancellation. It's caused us to get kind of lazy, though. ST cancellation+At-Will+Disintegrate+Repeat. The DPS is actually higher than a full ice/arcane rotation. You have to work for the damage, but the rewards are there.

And I'll get ACTs. My computer has been wonky since I upgraded to DX12. Just ordered a new PC, so hopefully it won't be long. Decided to quit Xbox to focus on PC full-time.
    I was using the same principle even back in MOD 4/5 when Spell Twisting wasn't an option. Curently switched Vorpal for Lightning due to the Abyss of Chaos. Most of the CW community simply jump here on the forums and think that Vorpal will increase their damage with Storm Spell.
    Unfortunately, unless you have someone who REALLY understands the mechanics behind this game, you're out of luck and all you need to do is pump-up the Power/Crit to compensate.

I'm currently running something similar to that, but not as a MoF.

As you state "Builds of love", practically. Adaptability and hi-end understanding of the situations of fights in order to bring the best possible outcome whilst keeping the "satisfaction level" at hand, in contrast to all the CWs who simply follow a guide and think "Hey, who gives about adaptability, just add this and never change".

I do think that playing as a CW is somewhat an art form, but without a nice team you can't really shine nicely. What good for a CW is a DC who constantly spams Sunburst?

I wish that there is a method to fix the ability of other classes interrupting the CW's CC. For instance, if the target's frozen - it remains on-spot unless a daily or tabbed Repel is in the use (for cleaning purposes, ofc). Or that the Frozen targets have double mass so that they're not as easily pushed aside by a friendly DC.

Or tabbed Icy Terrain that's double it's size. I'd rather see that than the 7th strike of CoI.

Like this, CW's get trolled hard and can't really utilize the maximum potential due to the imbeciles who keep spamming spread-friendly AOE in all major events.

CWs are terribly handicapped even with the recent downsized CC resistance of [some] mobs.

Another thing to take into the consideration is the stone of allure's ability to slow the targets. Little is known that every time the stone applies the slow, you get all Rene's buffs with Steal Time on tab. And Steal Time applies that debuff on five enemies, which is splendid.
    Given enough time, one can totally predict the Rene's buffs ratio.

Whenever you can, please post other information on the build. I'd be very thankful. Cheers
    True Neutral
  • craoluscraolus Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    I'd love to see the ACT of that high recovery build. It sure would be fun to have such a different viable alternative.
  • javimaravilla#8378 javimaravilla Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Hello help in module 8 change my renegade
  • smedersmeder Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Hello Zerg!
    Im currently using this guide and just got to the 100% crit point of greatness. Arter rea54c7Fding what's going to happen to the lostmauth set i guess there will be other ways to spec a cw to its best. I get that its going to take a while for the cws to come up with something new but im wondering if u could point me into a direction? Im on xbox so i cannot run act myself and we have some double rp events in the near future.

Ive been reading about the low crit owlbear cub build, do you think thats the way to go?
    Mof or ss? Arcane or cold? Still renegade, or thaum? Rotations?

Even if you only have an idea of whats going to be viable that would be a great help, ill gladly test the rest myself.

Cheers!
    I have no idea how those numbers got into that second sentence.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    Well, what do we do without Lostmauth's? The same thing we did before. I used this build before jumping on the Lostmauth bandwagon, and it was fine.

What effects does this have going forward? We'll see how everything shakes out with the final changes.

But the Owlbear Int belt is a good alternative, is Valindra's belt. I don't think any other set bonus is compelling enough to switch over to, personally.

As for the Owlbear Cub? It interests me, but I don't know if completely walking away from critical hits is viable. I haven't see any actual ACT posts, but at some point I hope to get my own, or at least one on test to work on crafting some stuff up.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    If someone can send me radiant r12's on preview (I happen to have misplaced mine on preview) I can test the owlbear cub again.
    Ok. Yeah human + int/val belt could add some extra damage. Ill just sit tight and keep lurking in yours and sharps threads.

Ty for the response!

If someone can send me radiant r12's on preview (I happen to have misplaced mine on preview) I can test the owlbear cub again.

We started going for Vicious Enchants and maxing our recovery/power with gear. Not sure how obtainable those are for you, but those seem to be the magic button for the Owlbear build. Overstacking Armor Pen and running with a GF (damage mitigation debuff) is key now, we've found out. We'll still get obliterated by SWs in the group, but it can at least compete with the other 3 DPS classes.

My partner is running a Black Ice Warhorse (4k power) and I'm running an Axe Beak (4k Armor Pen) and I can only beat him out when we have a GF in the group.

We're both running Mystic Wheels and his OBC procs seem to be affected by his Imperial set. I'm still on the fence (and a little salty since I just got my eLoL set to legendary last month >.>) about using that set, and I'm min/maxing stats instead.

You seem to be a knowledgeable CW, but if you have any questions, feel free to message me any time.
  • solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    I been reading about a nerf to elol set,is it true??
    solbergx said:

I been reading about a nerf to elol set,is it true??

Yes.
    True Neutral
  • katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User

We started going for Vicious Enchants and maxing our recovery/power with gear. Not sure how obtainable those are for you, but those seem to be the magic button for the Owlbear build. Overstacking Armor Pen and running with a GF (damage mitigation debuff) is key now, we've found out. We'll still get obliterated by SWs in the group, but it can at least compete with the other 3 DPS classes.

My partner is running a Black Ice Warhorse (4k power) and I'm running an Axe Beak (4k Armor Pen) and I can only beat him out when we have a GF in the group.

We're both running Mystic Wheels and his OBC procs seem to be affected by his Imperial set. I'm still on the fence (and a little salty since I just got my eLoL set to legendary last month >.>) about using that set, and I'm min/maxing stats instead.

You seem to be a knowledgeable CW, but if you have any questions, feel free to message me any time.

err 4k arpen mount? You realize that you gain absolutely nothing from having over 6k arpen, right?​​
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User

err 4k arpen mount? You realize that you gain absolutely nothing from having over 6k arpen, right?​​

you mean 60%

8k is the nominative goal. Not 6k.
    True Neutral
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited April 2016

In PvE you don't gain anything from going over 60% RI. iirc 6500 arp is the magic number if you take all the RI you can from boons.
    Post edited by urabask on
    I8r4ux9.jpg

Certain "damage mitigation" buffs extend beyond the ARP cap. Which is why having a GF in the group is key, as I said. It's one of the main reasons we're seeing so many GF/SW combos lately, since SWs have a couple skills that also scale beyond the 60% vanilla cap.
    That's not actually how that works, @spiritualxbl
    edited April 2016

Certain "damage mitigation" buffs extend beyond the ARP cap. Which is why having a GF in the group is key, as I said. It's one of the main reasons we're seeing so many GF/SW combos lately, since SWs have a couple skills that also scale beyond the 60% vanilla cap.

Kind of amusing how much you lack understanding of how those SW features work. I can list off the top of my head all the abilities that behave that way and I can also explain why they behave that way, armour penetration has nothing to do with it.
    edited April 2016
    urabask said:

In PvE you don't gain anything from going over 60% RI. iirc 6500 arp is the magic number if you take all the RI you can from boons.
    I think I saw somewhere that the highest mitigation is around 80% (not that everything is at that level, but that some mobs are). for PvE, but PvP can go as much as you please.
    Regardless, I think that some new comprehensive data analysis is needed for the new content post-MOD8.

What I can confirm and tell is that I kill mobs in CN faster than wizards who have less arpen (and bigger power for that matter). I doubt it has anything to do with my timing of spells, though, or feats.

If anything, you've made me to recheck just how much mit the new mobs possess since "60%" cap was four mods ago.
    True Neutral
    You get rid of one and two take its place...
    The key element to reducing the mob's mitigation is by building the arpen in order to increase the Resistance Ignored options. It's just one step which can be manipulated first-hand by stacking arpen.
    Other options vary on a number of factors INCLUDING both buffs and debuffs of various classes and mobs alike, which makes it a good thing to bring forth every single buff/debuff unit that you can muster from the guild.
    All of that adds to the "Resistance Ignored" (broad, general term which is affected by a multitude of factors) because it effectively build's personal and group damage alike, thus making mobs getting destroyed. Even adding "slow" to a target will make it debuffed, resulting in various feats and options to utilize it the best.
    The ACT data will not show this to a letter, but it is a rather common thing to observe in various ways.

Now, whether certain FEATS and ABILITIES of certain classes bypass the 0 Damage Resistance on it's own is something I've never heard or seen, so before attacking the person in such a way the ideal would be to ask, politely, where or how did the person come up to that conclusion and on what basis before anything else.

One major thing to consider is that many of the things said by Cryptic's descriptions for powers and spells do not behave the way that we'd intercept, so as a general rule do not bash or diss someone who comes up with something that you never heard about and give them the chance to actually prove their point, as spiritual tried to do.
    True Neutral
    edited April 2016

urabask said:

I think I saw somewhere that the highest mitigation is around 80% (not that everything is at that level, but that some mobs are). for PvE, but PvP can go as much as you please.
    Regardless, I think that some new comprehensive data analysis is needed for the new content post-MOD8.

What I can confirm and tell is that I kill mobs in CN faster than wizards who have less arpen (and bigger power for that matter). I doubt it has anything to do with my timing of spells, though, or feats.

If anything, you've made me to recheck just how much mit the new mobs possess since "60%" cap was four mods ago.
    I tested in CN recently, there isn't anything there that natively has over 60% DR, however, the monsters seem to have either a buff phase, or a debuff that they apply to you, that decreases your effectiveness. It is very fleeting though so its hard to track down and I cannot give you exact details with regards to it. However, level 73 monsters do natively take 25% less damage, which cannot be mitigated.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    The "more that 60% armor pen" comments are coming from Xbox players who are insistent that it increases their damage, although they have no way to actually measure DPS nor really analyze their combat logs.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited April 2016
    "It is very fleeting though"

All of that makes me to be even more interested. Thanks for the information.

"Xbox players"

I hold them personally accountable for the disappearance of SpellPlague. x D
    True Neutral

The "more that 60% armor pen" comments are coming from Xbox players who are insistent that it increases their damage, although they have no way to actually measure DPS nor really analyze their combat logs.

There is definitely something zerg in CN that fleetingly causes you to deal less damage, it occurs roughly once every 2 or 3 minutes so its very hard to notice, it doesn't seem specific to any particular monster type, it occurs on bosses, on glabrezus, even on shadow demons, its noticeable because 1 hit in every 1000 will suddenly hit for very low effectiveness....like 50-70% effectiveness. I will try to get a log of it tomorrow and post it here, as it is I am going to sleep.
    Which should have nothing to do with armor penetration.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1

Which should have nothing to do with armor penetration.

How can you be so sure? PRE-MOD5 the cap was around 24%. That increased in-time. For instance, the devs recently said that GF can't hit for extra damage on every 20 sec. That was completely internal and didn't show up in the logs, ergo nobody even knew aside from people who've witnessed a "sudden burst".

My personal observation is that occasionally my increased ARP adds greatly to the content in CN. It's just a hunch and as such it's not confirmed by any means, but I will run tests because what thefabricant is talking about might be true, although it could be some sort of a lag or spike or whichever of the million reasons.

All I'm saying, it needs more data.
    True Neutral
  • solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I just read all the details on the nerf, how much damage are we losing? Are we moving to válindars set??