Options

Spellstorm Renegade Guide: Death is the Best Crowd Control

Comments

• Options
    c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    It is dependable upon the build.
    Edit : Rechecked the data

The developer said that the damage was 10 x 100% +Crit+Flank times more than the original intent. After the nerf it's just 1 x 100% weapon damage (no crit, no flank). So, apparently Vorpal Enchantment will do diddly squat for it. One reason less to use it for a SS CW.

For me, for instance, damage was for some 10 % more than Storm Spell itself. So if Storm spell hits for approx 10 mil damage, LM would account around 11 mil damage. So I'd say that it was 110% of my Storm Spell's power.

However, after the nerf the LM set bonus accounted for 20% of my Storm Spell procs in a relatively same period spent in the dungeon. (10 mil Storm Spell, almost 2 mil LM set). Such is the power of critical procs of CoI+IT+OF+ST rotation. That being said, Abyss of Chaos does four times more damage than LMset for me.

However, hi-end builds will want to GO AWAY from the LM set and pursue hi-end INT/CHA builds. So if you have more than 30k Power it would be better to increase the overall damage of your personal spells rather than expecting LM set to do something important.

I intentionally used Storm Spell as a regulator due to a fact that this spell also activates on-crit just like LM set.

However, the set will benefit from various buffs/debuffs that run in the party and, of course, you want the critical chance as high as possible if you want to utilize this set accordingly.

So, for GWFs and CWs who can multiproc and are under 30k Power, it is still a relatively good choice FOR NOW. However the set alone is not a solution of any kind of a Control Wizard. This is a perfect chance to make all the CW issues presented adequately, especially for the SpellStorm Control Wizards whose Critical Strikes have been seriously punished in the past year or so.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • Options
    javimaravilla#8378 javimaravilla Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    hello I ask for help to build a cw renegade in module 8
  • Options
    kieranmtornkieranmtorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited April 2016

Which should have nothing to do with armor penetration.

I saw this in my last run of CN, Orcus added a huge damage debuff for about 100 seconds, Assailant wasn't affected by the debuff, but my normal GWF attacks were hitting for 20% effectiveness (instead of 170% that it should have been).

Also, the debuff is not affected by ARP/Resist Ignore. I keep 1 point of Deep Gash (which has the mis-feature/bug of not using ARP/Resist Ignored, so it makes calculating mobs DR easy). It also was only hitting for 20% effectiveness.
    Post edited by kieranmtorn on
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

Which should have nothing to do with armor penetration.

I saw this in my last run of CN, Orcus added a huge damage debuff for about 100 seconds, Assailant wasn't affected by the debuff, but my normal GWF attacks were hitting for 20% effectiveness (instead of 170% that it should have been).

Also, the debuff is not affected by ARP/Resist Ignore. I keep 1 point of Deep Gash (which has the mis-feature/bug of not using ARP/Resist Ignored, so it makes calculating mobs DR easy). It also was only hitting for 20% effectiveness.
    It isn't a debuff, when he summons the abyssal tears he gains 80% unmitigatable DR, the only reason assailant isn't effected is because it ignores DR.
  • Options
    kieranmtornkieranmtorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 382 Arc User
    No abyssal tears were present.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    He sometimes bugs out where if he gets the buff and then you wipe, he keeps it. Or it stays on him after you close the tears.

Other times, if the fight ends while the tears are up, they'll stay up (without being intractable) for the next fight.

I know, I know...it's crazy to even imagine someone saying this...but its a bit buggy :smiley:
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    Ironzerg i'm waiting for your recommendations about the lostmauth set, and if were switching the belt to Valindra or what?
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    Well, according to @thefabricant the Valindra's Belt is indeed better.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    deflectroquedeflectroque Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Сha belt the best! 122.5% CA
  • Options
    hermione#7016 hermione Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Atm, I have 82% crit severity unbuffed (no companions etc.) and other CW's have 97% unbuffed crit severity as a SS Thaum. Where am I losing this 15%. I know I'm missing 3% of the 15 from not having maxed out the last boon in tyranny . However, I do have the IWD boon, so I'm technically missing 12% CS for no reason
  • Options
    lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    @ironzerg79

With the nerf to eLOL and previously to Storm Spell. Is Column of Ice still best on Tab for single targets?

thnx
  • Options
    raydrootraydroot Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 110 Arc User
    For me SS Renegade high crit build w/ elol set is performing at 10% more DPS on ACT then w/ the Valindra's belt swapped. 3 min timed same rotation on dummies. elol was 7% of total damage. This was similar to my results on Preview. For me I will stick w/ the elol until the class rebalance.
  • Options
    raydrootraydroot Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 110 Arc User
    I agree last test I did in group elol was at 3% on a DR. I will run a few w/ the Valindra's belt and see if the average DPS is better.
  • Options
    Why LM set is not viable anymore? It's rather simple : There's not enough enemies that survive long enough for the ticks to take their toil. And not only that, but the ticks are rather low-damage.

What's the problem? For this set to function optimally you'd need to be a lower level CW without much power and/or critical chance and run with EotS enabled, while also waiting for rotations.
    Let's remember, LM set only procs on the Critical strikes. So you're off to use the Eye of the Storm to get the full potential.

Now, if you have enough critical chance for elol set to function normally, the real question s why would you stick around for it's miserable 1500-1540 average damage per tick? Not only that, but if you already use the Focused Wizardry you're not using a lot of ticks, ergo you're not using the LM set to the fullest potential. THAT was viable before, but now on each disintegrate you only get a bonus of 1500 damage. Pretty much nothing lives long enough for the CoI to take it's fullest effect, so it comes down to the Icy Terrain and Oppressive Force which we use the most for the sake of Storm Spell. With that on mind LM set can be a nice addition, but it will under-preform on high crit and high power builds easily.

You're better of with actual damage amplifier that comes in the form of increased damage and increased critical chance, which Valindra's Belt represents.

You're swapping 1-2% forced damage for 2% damage (which increases the more power you get, ergo more options, ergo why the **** not?) and additional Crit+CA.

The solution is simple.
    True Neutral
  • Options
    terrify10terrify10 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Hey guys just starting up under dark campaign on Xbox. I see the build hasn't been updated with those boons. What can anyone recommend for them all
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Sorry, when the forums changed over, the character limits changed, and I can edit anything new into the guide without massive revisions. Here's the slate of Boons I went with:

i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    thx bro
  • Options
    Just the belt. The set bonus on Valindra's is basically rubbish.

And yeah, based on @thefabricant 's testing, Dread is pretty dang good for CWs.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    spookyvaporsspookyvapors Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I'm just starting playing on my CW on Xbox One after a long break. So I'm at level 60 going to 70. What do you recommend as far as a cloak and belt? Greater Black Ice or what?
  • Options
    opalsunsopalsuns Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    I am on Xbox and leveling up a Greater Owlbear. I currently also have the legendary lost set. My class is also human so I have 5 out of 5 in learned spellcaster to boost my damage from int.

Right now the greater owlbear belt is is at epic, and after popping a fate and heroism I have been able to get my int up to 30. So I ran some tests.

Even without the nerf since we won't be getting it yet I noticed increased damage output in how quickly I can melt. I am using the legendary lost neck btw.

It makes me wonder how many actual tests were done before most cws jumped on the lost set since prior too I always ran a legendary owl which worked great.

I will swap out my legendary lost belt for a legendary valin belt once we get the nerf to try it, and keep my legendary lost neck.

Will be curious to see what is more effective post nerf with greater owlbear vs greater valin.
    CW SS
    opalsuns
    Paragon Gaming

• Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Prior to nerf Lost set could not be beat for damage due to how that damage scaled with high crit and buffs.
  • Options
    Yo iron, can u post a pic of ur maze engine boons
  • Options
    opalsuns said:

Will be curious to see what is more effective post nerf with greater owlbear vs greater valin.

Owlbear was viable when there was no need for the Critical Strike chance (SS CW's used EotS), however Valindra's outright gives you CHA, which calculates into both Crit Chance and Combat Advantage bonus, which makes it a more viable and a better choice overall for a SS CW who's running with Storm Spell and Chilling Presence, be it a Thaum or a Renegade.

CA is advantageous (ha!) since it scales with your damage which is particularly good when you hit high numbers.
    As such, CA will give you more of a boost than 2INT will in the current meta. But it again depends how strong you are.

So, in a sense, you want to keep them on a somewhat equal level, although give a bit of an advantage to the INT unless your goal is to have as much crit chance as possible. There are builds which are far more useful, but then it takes some really hi-end gear and a lot of factors to take into the account, playing it kind of unsafe.

It's always better to build CA via belts, too, since the CA bonuses have a really bad scaling. Perhaps up to one or two artifacts which give you CA bonuses, although a better choice is, ofc, AP gain artifacts.

If the Storm Spell starts critting again, and if Chilling Presence gets a nerf, that's another story and Owlbear will be more viable once again depending upon the situation I guess.

In order to gain the maximum out of your build, whichever you might use, use the Potion of Heroism and Elixir of Fate followed by the first-day-time invocation (which also boosts your attributes). You may end up with a lot of INT + CHA like that.
    True Neutral
  • Options
    Ironzerg, do you have artifact recommendations for cw pvp renegade ss??
  • Options
    Unfortunately, no. I don't PvP much at all, and am not a great resource there. Sorry!
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Now with the mounts and healing should I switch life steal to something else???