What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The "New Class(es)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• Options
    chetoseechetosee Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I understand why people want a Paladin, but the Guardian Fighter is so close to it in terms of image. Also, the Barbarian with the GWFm a little bit. I'm not saying I do not want them there, but I get why they have not made those classes.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Oh, and yeah DRUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDD PLEAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!1

I'm even working on a sort of Mechanics for it, just for fun. I will post it soon.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Objectively, i think the best options are Monk, Druid, and Swordmage.

Considering elements beside gameplay and roles, I considered a sort of Character Image for each Class; and assumed popularity.

Each class needs its own Archetypical Image, right? Like a player would look at a character and immediately indentify and extinguish what class it is just by looking at it. Big Sword? GWF. Shield? GF. Bow? Ranger. And so Forth.

If you make a Paladin, you can't not give it a Shield, right? Even if you give it a different Mainhand weapon from a GF, which I think the idea of not giving the Option to a Paladin of carrying a simple Sword. Same think with a Barbarian to a GWF, although there are other factors in which it can be different, like say giving it 2 heavy weapons; the essence of it couldn't differ much. Same thing with a Sorcerer from a Wizard, with more options to be different, IMHO.

If you make a Psion, or Seeker, or Warlord, majority of the people are not gonna care what those are, or even understand it. A lot of people, which I would estimate at 40% that play Neverwinter have no background whatsoever of D&D and are just here to play it because it is a cool MMO.

By now, Neverwinter has established its base Archetypical Classes, even when it only had GWF, GF, TR, CW, and DC. No it's ready for a little more fun and variety when it comes to Classes (well, they already have been having fun since the release of the HR)

Why Druid?
    Druids are already popular among MMO and RPG players; this would not be the first time they would have seen one; they would already know what it is. Because if its inherent affinity for nature and since in D&D, it uses a unique implement, a Totem, it would be fairly extinguishable. It would not be confused with a Cleric or a Ranger. It would have its own role in the game as a controller/healer. It can specialize in Terrain-affecting spells like Massive AoEs with harsh control effects and such, or something. Plus, if Neverwinter pulls off Wild Shape, how epic would that be? (I've been working on a suggestion for its mechanics which I will post soon)

Why Swordmage?
    The obvious "thing" here would be that it is a Magic-Wielding Warrior. As for its image, I admit, it may be difficult (for players anyway, not for me) to imagine Neverwinter Class with a Non-Great Weapon and no Shield. Although I have absolute faith that Devs can make this work. (as a character designer myself, I can imagine), like giving it a special looking Sword, like it's made of Crystal. I have also been working on mechanics suggestions for this, I will post it soon.

Why Monk?
    Again, at this point, MMO players would know what a Monk would be in the context of a game like this. It's kind of a cross between a DC(merely because of significance of religion) and maybe a TR, and something special. It could be the Nijna-y, Martial Artsy Class. As for Image, I imagine it in obviously-extinguished robes, and a Quarterstaff.
  • Options
    vladious1977vladious1977 Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I know Clerics really do not need it. Still be nice to have a REAL viable tanking option in the cleric tree and not one we invent by making the class as tanky as possible. Battle Cleric's lore would be nice. Our trees than can be redone make one for healing one for DPS and one for tanking. Make it much better then do you want hots DPS or Burst heals that we have now. Just an idea.
  • Options
    stormturmoilstormturmoil Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Having a class of oriental culture like monk can be cool. But before Sprint being took away from GWF, we would never see monk in the game. Sprint is supposed to be a distinctive ability which only belongs to lightweight classes which have high mobility and agility, such as monk and ninja. It should not have been given to heavily armored warriors who wear full plate in the first place. When a should-be clunky warrior class is allowed to run so fast, monk needs to run even more faster, which would be too much. Besides, GWF being implemented like that is an evidence that the implementator knew very little to nothing about D&D.

Not at all. In my opinion only, of course, but:
    GFs don't sprint because they're defensives and laden down with Plate Armour and Shields. Wizards and Clerics don't Sprint because they don't have the physique for it due to studying/fasting etc. Rogues and Rangers Don't sprint because movement attartcs attention and they're maximising cover.
    Warlocks would come under the same Physique restriction as Wizards etc except that Shadow Sprint is more of an 'Unnatural Vitality' thing than straight physical exertion.
    GWFs Sprint because their main theme is brute Strength, ergo, their strength allows them to overcome the weight of their armour and move quickly despite their encumbrance. Hence Also, they can only sprint for short bursts.

Whereas, being unencumbered and Having an agile Physique, Monks would Not have Sprint as a Shift Ability.
    Monks would be sprinting All the time as their default movement.
    Hence, a Moving Monk would be fast and basically uncontrollable...but they'd Have to Keep moving to maintain that.

That leaves Shift Abilities. I can see two possible routes for that.
    1: Acrobatics; gives an acrobatic Dodge allowing the monk to bounce around all over the place. Similar to Rogue dodgeing. Bit of duplication here, but this would be the panic button rather than the strategic movement.

2: Shift as a defensive ability. Rather than blocking attacks, this would be countering or redirecting, things like arrow catching, Slapping aside sword blows, Judo throws etc. Turns the Monk into a second defender alongside the GF.

other possibilities include giveing the Monk innate deflection bonuses to represent them slapping aside attacks.
    Another possibilty would be to give them a High Innate Regen bonus; to represent the 'wholeness of Body' thing they have going on. That coupled with the Sprint movement and possibly the defensive option would gve you a hit and run Playstyle where a Monk can play keep away to heal while running in to attack or block/counterattack.

Just a few ideas I had triggered by reading this thread. As you may Guess, I would definitly like to see Monk become a Class.
  • Options
    nekromaniak666nekromaniak666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 94
    edited December 2014
    I voted Druid in the past for some reasons BUT i would like to change it to SWORDMAGE.

Probably many people were hyped (like i was) to choose Druid or Paladin but trust me, if you check more info about Swordmage, you will love this class. Swordmage is the class which is needed in NWO.

Do you like fighters? Do you like magic? Did you try in different games to make mage with sword? (maybe you have played Sword-Sorceress in Diablo 2 mod - Median XL... creator of this build made really amazing work).

My main char/class is GWF and i really like it (PvE). I dont care if other classes are stronger now, i am enjoying my geared fighter. But i miss the ability to be a bit faster in fighting (very slow casting time) also i cant buff my party.

I checked the new possible classes and the Swordmage is the only class which can convince me to leave my geared GWF and try this class. Just imagine fast attacking fighter dualwielding swords and giving defensive buff to himself or to party. Faster than GWF, supportive to party similary to GF. Also i like INT/STR/CON ability combo.
    [SIGPIC]Hellsing[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    raedlolraedlol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Druid.

They objectively have the most potential for interesting & unique skills.
    Transforming into a beast allows for far more class customization.

Paladin might as well be a Guardian Fighter paragon path for all i care.
    Everyone seems to be shouting Paladin, yet can you really think of anything new it's going to bring to the table?
    Nothing we haven't already seen in Cleric or Guardian. An unneeded combination of the two is a waste of a class.

The game needs more Tanks & Controllers instead of more dps in my opinion, but the Paladin isn't the way to do that.

Druids could be Controller/Healer hybrids in their caster forms, similar to Wizards but Shorter Ranged (almost melee)
    And could turn into full on tanks/damage in their beast forms, depending on how you chose to build them.
    And ofcourse changing from Caster to Beast could be done via the Class Mechanic TAB button.
    SO MUCH VARIETY!
    Why on earth would you want a boring pally?
  • Options
    borrowedtime1borrowedtime1 Member Posts: 131 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Isn't DC already acting like paladins?
  • Options
    denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Monk.

MONK

monk <333

I could play a monk forever and NEVER get bored of it ;)`

Paladin seems redundant from guardian fighter, well druid would be cool but never as cool as a monk. best class ever.
    I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
    It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
    You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
    My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread
  • Options
    longstrider7longstrider7 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Druid. Heal, dps, buff, debuff, and the lovely petcompanion and shapeshifting..comon :) We need some new stuff now
  • Options
    arcticmedicarcticmedic Member Posts: 40
    edited December 2014
    I'm offended that Monk was placed in the "other" category. Was always my favorite DnD class to play in 1st edition (if they lived past level 3 or 4 that is). Especially if they develop their senses enough to strike out at those perma stealthies in PvP ;)
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    I'm offended that Monk was placed in the "other" category. Was always my favorite DnD class to play in 1st edition (if they lived past level 3 or 4 that is). Especially if they develop their senses enough to strike out at those perma stealthies in PvP ;)
    Don't worry, it's on the top of my list as one that has been mentioned the most for not having their own choice in the poll. So, if we don't get Monks as the next class, I will see that they have their own choice in the next poll!

Safe travels,
    Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

PWE Community Moderator
  • Options
    effectensteineffectenstein Member Posts: 1,031 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Warlord. 10char
  • Options
    hoofithoofit Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Monk would be fantastic.
    And err a cloud mount like Monkeys from Monkey magic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXXltTsQawY
  • Options
    juanlu311juanlu311 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Shapeshifter druid please! different shapes for different parangons
  • Options
    shadevpshadevp Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Where's the option 'Please hold on a bit. We don't want any new classes yet. Let us 1st cope with what we have right now.' ?
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    shadevp wrote: »
    Where's the option 'Please hold on a bit. We don't want any new classes yet. Let us 1st cope with what we have right now.' ?
    This isn't a poll for a time-frame of when we want said class. This is for an over-all gauging of Community Desire. Let's stay on topic. Thanks!

Safe travels,
    Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

PWE Community Moderator
  • Options
    overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think an interesting part of this conversation could be how any new class would affect already existing classes and how it could be differentiated from them. I think Druid and Bard really stand the highest chances of being both the most different and least detrimental to other classes. Druid if it is a true shifting/wildshape druid. Neverwinter would have to take some liberties with wildshape and really expand on it- allowing the character to shift to pretty much all non-boss pve enemies, mini-boss shift could be temporary and as a daily. Shift duration could on a meter like stealth. Druid as heals or control would imo cross over too heavily with cw and dc. Bard could fill the role of a pure party buff machine and would synch well with every existing current class.

I think Paladin would be the most like and most detrimental to other classes. The same goes for most other melee classes. Paladin mainly because the role of striker and defender are already adequately filled. Defender less so in pvp and I'd bet everything I have that if paladin comes out with a defender paragon as a distinct class and no free "transfer your GF to paladin, levels, gear and all", every gf in the game would quit immediately due to them bringing out a new superior class to fill a role while totally neglecting a class that already fits the same role and which people have spent a lot of time and money on.
  • Options
    cybercyanidecybercyanide Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 66
    edited December 2014
    I had to vote 'Druid'
    Would love to see them as a controller type (think plant controller from City of Heroes). Throw in the shape-shift and animal companion? Oh yes, that would be fun! :D
  • Options
    mirlegrismirlegris Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Monk is a good choice.

No place for Paladins, there is GFs and DPS-DCs, for this role. Don't need a buff/heal class like Bard, there is DCs and SWs.

Monk is different. Unarmed martial gameplay. A Move style Monk can be a very interesting class, agile and dynamic. An alternative for disappointed combat-TRs.

Or, maybe a Druid, a pet class, with "Wild Shape".
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    you will be disappointed with 4e Druid..

anyway, can any moderator reset or change my vote to Swordmage instead of Druid? thank you
  • Options
    hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    If I could vote again, I'd definitely vote on Monk now.

We have way too many ranged classes already.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    morenthar wrote: »
    Monk. Unfortunately there will be 1000 characters named "Bruce Lee" but it will be worth it.
    and another 1000 chars named "Jackie Chan" or "Jet Li"
  • Options
    jstiddyjstiddy Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Druid. How about we add 2 more classes?
  • Options
    cain497cain497 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    and another 1000 chars named "Jackie Chan" or "Jet Li"

Monk all the way, just wondering how it could be made, high risk=high dps, selfsufficent dps, optional tank - many many options, and your forgetting the thousands of variation of Chuck Norris.
  • Options
    uptondarkdiamonduptondarkdiamond Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Monk would be awesome!
  • Options
    discoricediscorice Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Still not understanding the need for a paladin class. there's a dps cleric and a protector GF. seems like we're really just splitting hairs now with paladins. Also seems like barbarian is sort of covered by combat both HR's and GWF's . Spellscarred and Monk sound interesting, though. Druid too.
    Fear Of A Disco Planet
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    due this topic: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?809851-What-new-Class-would-you-like-to-see-most
    it will be nice to have 3rd topic (or edit one) with 10 classes to choose (without Other option) based on % popularity each of class in these topics
    both topics miss highly or moderate voted classes which should be put together in one topic
This discussion has been closed.