test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New to Neverwinter? Check this out!

akromatikakromatik Member Posts: 1
edited October 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey guys! With the launch of Icewind Dale, I’ve seen an influx of new players. Life can be tough for a new player in an MMO, so I thought I’d write up a little something help our new friends!

*Dramatic Pause*

So, you’ve defeated Valindra’s beast on Sleeping Dragon Bridge and thwarted an undead invasion of Neverwinter…Congrats!

...Now what?

Neverwinter is full of awesome things to do, here are but a few of the things that await you in your Neverwinter journeys:

- Skirmishes: Starting at level 5, you’ll be able to queue for skirmishes in the queue menu (press K). These are similar to dungeons in that the enemies are a little tougher than usual. One key difference, however, is that they are usually shorter (but no less awesome!) The first skirmish available to players is the Terror of Blacklake. In it, you are tasked with defending Neverwinter against an ooey-gooey horde of slime-zombies! Since skirmishes can get a little intense sometimes, I usually try and make sure I’m well-stocked with potions or health stones.

- Companions: Despite being granted a free companion at level 16, you can actually get one as soon as you’re out of the tutorial! If you participated in a code giveaway or purchased one of our packs, you can claim your companion(s) via mail or the Rewards Agent as soon as you reach Protector’s Enclave! Having a trusty companion by your side can make the early levels fly by! I’m actually leveling a Control Wizard and the War Dog in the free First Time Buyer’s Pack chomps through foes like nobody’s business! Plus, puppies make everything better. In addition to the adorable companion, the pack also gives you a 12-slot Embroidered Bag of Holding, a Personal Stone of Greater Health (with 200 charges), 5 Preservation Wards, and both Change Appearance and Retraining Tokens...all for transferring 500 Zen into Neverwinter (this means you can actually buy something else with all that after receiving the pack...I actually bought some armor dyes to match my hair!).

- Professions: At level 10, you’ll be able to begin professions! With disciplines such as Alchemy, and Leadership, there’s definitely something for everyone. We also have Professions Booster Packs and Asset Packs that give you access to higher quality items and assets. These can cut down on the time it takes to complete a professions task, which is great for someone like me who hates waiting. (A small confession: I updated my professions tasks via my mobile phone during Thanksgiving dinner last year...and I plan to do so again if the need arises...and I'm not sorry about it)

- PvP: You will also unlock PvP queues when you reach level 10. No longer will you be limited stomping computer foes!

- Invoking the Gods: At level 11, you'll gain the ability to invoke the Gods. This can grant you a myriad of rewards such as Astral Diamonds and Character Experience. Once a day, you'll be guaranteed to get a Celestial and Ardent Coins too. For Celestial Coins, you'll need to invoke at least once a day to keep them, otherwise you'll lose them!

- The Foundry: At level 15, the Foundry will unlock and you’ll have the chance to begin your career as a Foundry Author. Neverwinter has an AMAZING and dedicated Foundry community full of helpful and creative geniuses. Should you desire, you can check out some of their content in the catalog menu (Press L and then select “Catalog”)! You can actually do this the moment you complete the tutorial! Every 2 weeks, we feature new Foundry adventures for all of Neverwinter to enjoy. We also sometimes run Foundry contests (with PRIZES) that are organized around a specific theme.

- Mounts: At level 4, you'll gain the ability to ride mounts. This will GREATLY increase your ability to traverse the vast locales of Neverwinter in a timely fashion. What's also cool about mounts is that there are TONS to choose from. Whether its a Gelatinous Cube or a Dawn Unicorn, having a mount is the only way to travel!

These are just some of the activities available to you during your early days in Neverwinter. If you feel I’ve left something off or would like more info on a particular topic, lemme know!

Happy questing and may all your 20s be natural! ;D
Post edited by zebular on

Comments

• orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Just to clarify, you can play foundries as soon as you finish the tutorial, the level 15 requirement is just for making them.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • akromatikakromatik Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2014
    Just to clarify, you can play foundries as soon as you finish the tutorial, the level 15 requirement is just for making them.

Ah, an excellent thing to note! Consider it noted!
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    Moving posts about the Login (Normal/Safe Error) Issue to the Bug Thread on it:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?666781
    (Devs are aware and working on a fix!)
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    For me the biggest milestone for a new character is hitting level 20 and not having to run up and down all those stairs to get to Sgt. Knox for quests and quest turn ins. (of course it helps that every char I make has a choice of three epic mounts!)
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Also: don't forget Invocation at level 11!
  • myles08807myles08807 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    pitshade wrote: »
    For me the biggest milestone for a new character is hitting level 20 and not having to run up and down all those stairs to get to Sgt. Knox for quests and quest turn ins. (of course it helps that every char I make has a choice of three epic mounts!)

Three thumbs-up for this one. OMG is life so much better with a mount!
  • akromatikakromatik Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2014
    Updated! Thanks! :D
  • ferkemerferkemer Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hi, akromatic. Sorry to bother you with this matter but is the first time that I enter the forum and of course, cannot open a particular discusion.

I don't really know if someone played with my account and need to know if my warrior has been killed. Is there a way to know this? If it has been killed and... how many times?

Again, sorry to bother and thanks for your help.
  • lanilanilanilanilanilani Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I am a total new guy! (edit: I guess N* *b is not allowed here...)

Anyway, it took me two days and three levels later I finally learned how to use invocation!

I searched the web and I even linked to this site as I searched how to do it. But helpful though your input was it did not spell it out for me. Finally I notice the crtl-I in the upper part of my screen.

Perhaps a note for us not so bright folks about how to use invocation when we get to 11 :o
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    ferkemer wrote: »
    Hi, akromatic. Sorry to bother you with this matter but is the first time that I enter the forum and of course, cannot open a particular discusion.

Upon a user's first visit to the forums, their account is flagged under probation (spam prevention). During this probationary period, users cannot make new threads but can reply to existing threads and partake in polls. If this persist for more than 7 days, please file a Support Ticket.

ferkemer wrote: »
    I don't really know if someone played with my account and need to know if my warrior has been killed. Is there a way to know this? If it has been killed and... how many times?

Again, sorry to bother and thanks for your help.

I'm not quite sure what you mean?
  • sgtskumsgtskum Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Good info for a newcomer like me and that starter bundle sounds great. Companions and more storage for epic loots are always helpful in games like this.

Have to say this has one of the better in game introductions and tutorial clearly showing what to do and when and the graphics are well designed and look excellent maxed out on my gtx770.

Facial animations when talking to quest givers seem lacking but I'm well aware of the nature of a free to play games development budget and how some things are sacrificed to make other more used features better quality.

Besides the way you can leave them as they continue to explain the quest is a nice touch and neatly gets your attention away from the botox looking faces. ;p

Also really liking the more action oriented gameplay where your own skill and timing can come into play instead of the olde tried and true click enemy and let rng do the rest.

All in all good start to the game and will probably drop $10 on some zen for the first time buyers pack.
    edited May 2014
    Ok. Just tried to purchase 1000 zen to get the first time purchase bundle and it asks me to pick the game to transfer the zen to.

There is no choice for neverwinter so whats up? If I pick another game can I still transfer the zen to the neverwinter account?
  • aukanstonehandaukanstonehand Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    New to Neverwinter, not as new to D&D (been playing 4e for a year). I've played campaigns in Dark Sun, Forgotten Realms (which Neverwinter is in), and Eberron, and the first thing I noticed about this game is a distinct lack of races. D&D has about 40 playable races, about 25 of which are fleshed out. Neverwinter has 11, 6 of which are elves (and two pairs of those are highly similar, one being locked behind a paywall). I was well aware it wouldn't have all the races D&D has, considering that would be a ridiculously large task (and this isn't the D&D game itself), but come on, 6 elf races? I was hopeful there would be a Goliath race (that's probably my favorite 4e race), and there might be Minotaurs, but I knew it wasn't too likely- but the Dragonborn race is practically the figurehead for the franchise, so I was surprised not to see them as an option.
    Anyways, I'm not trying to be to annoying with this complaint, but I would like to know what some other people think (and I'm apparently not allowed to create a thread, so I'm saying it here). What races would some of you guys like to see in Neverwinter (even if it's highly unlikely to be put into the already long-established game)?
    edited May 2014
    sgtskum wrote: »
    Ok. Just tried to purchase 1000 zen to get the first time purchase bundle and it asks me to pick the game to transfer the zen to.

There is no choice for neverwinter so whats up? If I pick another game can I still transfer the zen to the neverwinter account?
    . . . No, once transferred to a game, it is bound to that game. Not sure why it's not there for you, it's there for me right now. If this persists, you'll need to contact Support, we cannot do anything regarding Account and Billing Issues through the forum.
    edited May 2014
    New to Neverwinter, not as new to D&D (been playing 4e for a year). I've played campaigns in Dark Sun, Forgotten Realms (which Neverwinter is in), and Eberron, and the first thing I noticed about this game is a distinct lack of races. D&D has about 40 playable races, about 25 of which are fleshed out. Neverwinter has 11, 6 of which are elves (and two pairs of those are highly similar, one being locked behind a paywall). I was well aware it wouldn't have all the races D&D has, considering that would be a ridiculously large task (and this isn't the D&D game itself), but come on, 6 elf races? I was hopeful there would be a Goliath race (that's probably my favorite 4e race), and there might be Minotaurs, but I knew it wasn't too likely- but the Dragonborn race is practically the figurehead for the franchise, so I was surprised not to see them as an option.
    Anyways, I'm not trying to be to annoying with this complaint, but I would like to know what some other people think (and I'm apparently not allowed to create a thread, so I'm saying it here). What races would some of you guys like to see in Neverwinter (even if it's highly unlikely to be put into the already long-established game)?
    . . . They will continue to keep adding new Races and Classes. Such things take an enormous amount of time to Develop. They have said before that they are only limited to adding classes and races into the game by what classes and races are currently in 4th edition (e.g. the Classes and Races Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro allows).

. . . The game isn't even a year old yet (almost) and we've already gotten a new class, new paragon paths, and three races (Moon & Sun Elf and Normal Drow). We just got our Third Module as well. We also know they're are still working on at LEAST one class right now. As well, we're constantly getting new companions.

. . . We have threads for players to give feedback on future races and classes, please do partake in them!

poll_posticon.gif Poll: The "New Race(s)" Feedback Thread!
    poll_posticon.gif Poll: The "New Class(es)" Feedback Thread!
    edited May 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . No, once transferred to a game, it is bound to that game. Not sure why it's not there for you, it's there for me right now. If this persists, you'll need to contact Support, we cannot do anything regarding Account and Billing Issues through the forum.

Thanks for the reply but found the answer in another thread. Got my first time buyers pack and my new dog Daisy. :cool:
    edited May 2014
    sgtskum wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply but found the answer in another thread. Got my first time buyers pack and my new dog Daisy. :cool:
    Great to hear! Thanks for the update! :)
  • teweeesateweeesa Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've had my reservations about this game for a while, as a self-diagnosed WoW addict. I've finally decided to give it a go today, and reading this post has made me just a bit less unsure. I think I'm going to have a lot of fun here. Thanks for sharing :)
  • forcemajureforcemajure Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Is there a place to post "newbish" questions or just this thread?

For the most part, I'm impressed with how smoothly most of the game is explained in-game. The one area where I'm still looking for some help understanding the interface is with foundry content. I finally found an explanation that these quests adjust to your level. Okay, I'll jump into one.... Apparently, I'm not up to my own level. This thing kicked me in the teeth (should have brought more heal pots). How do I get out? I just keep respawning inside. Hmm, trial and error reveals that I can cancel the quest and then I can escape. Well, that was frustrating. How do I avoid the same mistake again? Is there some indication of difficulty levels? Is there, maybe, some meaning to the color codes and I should not have started with a red one?

Oh, as long as I'm on a question roll, is there a list of the common abbreviations? Chat in this game is quite heavy on the acronyms.

Thanks.
  • bassfreelybassfreely Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    When opening this game, it says that its patching and theres no option to play. Do I have to d/l all 5550MB before I can play this game?
  • alterthemightyalterthemighty Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well, Im not that much of a newb, as ill soon be hitting lvl 20, but I have a question:How exactly does pvp work in this game?
  • ht75yht75y Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hi! Im a new player and feel like i should give some feedback around the pvp part. I have not played for long and Im not very good at pvp. Mostly I only do pvp becouse of the AD reward. Im a trixter and 60 with a pve build and gear value of 10k+. Something that takes alot of the fun from the game is that almost every time I play someone calls people **** for not being experienced. Its actually depressing part of the game for me. I enjoy PvE but some times it take pretty long to get group for dungeons. So easy way to get those badly needed AD is Skirmishes and Dominion. How about making the PvP dominion daily a choise for PvE players with a random dungeon instead of forceing mediocre players to play PvP and listen to the bullys that call you names for not being good?

I have never been very good at pvp but I think its the first game Ive getten soo much trash from other players. Or heard other players get bullied.

This is not the first mmorpg ive played and my CV is pretty long.

My impression of pvp is that its something very wrong with the machmaking. It is very possible that a Premade group meet a group of fresh players. That should not be possible. Its like sending a pack of sheeps into the lions den. The game should have a seperate ranking and matchmaking for those that want to have 5v5 premade teams.

Most of the depressive language comes when some seasoned player end up with a couple of new players with little or no pvp experience and starting to loose.

So please find a better way to make random pvp groups. Unless you want new players to loose interest before getting somewhere.
    Thanks!
  • pinkwormpinkworm Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    i'm new to the game , and dont know allot about the gear :D so i got a question ( trickster rogue ) i'm going as much crit as possible is that good for pve , ? and the thing thats interests me the most is for E.G i got lvl 28 daggers with damage 90-111 and crit +157 and than i get lvl 30 daggers with damage 110-125 but with only 50 crit should i stay with my lvl 28 daggers or use lvl 30 ? can anyone help me ?
  • fraenciskinzfraenciskinz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    IF you are new to NW you have to know its a pay to win !!!!

In the icewindale campaign you will have to pay if you wanna play normally and develop your new crafting branch, necessary to refine black ice in order to buy your Black ice gear !!!

+ after that you will have to spend several times to improve each parts of the stuff via the Black ice crafting branch....

The problem is that if you want more tools (Gauntlets) for your workers to launch several tasks at once, you will be obliged to pay , or to buy the item on AH, 500,000 Astral Diamonds for 1....

= Its Not a FAIR F2P =>

So if you dont have more than 5-6 hours and / or a lot of money dont play the Game or ask the devloppers to be less abusive making a ZEN MARKET essencially focused on Pets, mounts, Storage, reskill, and Style !!! NOT ON IN GAME FEATURES AND PROGRESSION !!!!

Thats the difference between a good Free to play and a PAY TO WIN.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    pinkworm wrote: »
    i'm new to the game , and dont know allot about the gear :D so i got a question ( trickster rogue ) i'm going as much crit as possible is that good for pve , ? and the thing thats interests me the most is for E.G i got lvl 28 daggers with damage 90-111 and crit +157 and than i get lvl 30 daggers with damage 110-125 but with only 50 crit should i stay with my lvl 28 daggers or use lvl 30 ? can anyone help me ?
    Don't worry about gear choices so much until you get to max level. If you play consistently, you'll outlevel anything you find very quickly. Go with the weapon that does more damage though. That's always going to help you more than a few points of stats. Or, go to the AH and find daggers with the highest crit for your character level and have both the stats and the damage. If we're talking green quality, they won't cost much at all.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • albert302albert302 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    game is unfair in some plasis you cant win no matter what you do allways out numberd and thats not fair at all game needs work to make it better and a little more fair
  • janeofhordlejaneofhordle Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hello everybody, apologies if this has been covered but I have looked with these old eyes and not found anything :(

Is there a way to quickly change which Chat channel I have active?

ATM I have to hit ALT and then mouse over the small icon in the left bottom corner of the Chat gui and then mouse to the "Set Channel" popup and then select the new channel. Then have to hit ALT or move to get back ingame.

Seems a lot to have to do just to go from say Zone to Party or Party to Say.

Shortcuts or Keybinds available?

I am seeing a lot of chat in both the Party and Say channels when grouped up for any of the dungeons and like to respond in the OP's channel.

Am I missing the "Bleeding Obvious" here? Thanks

How do you Guys do it?

Cheers
  • w00trandomsnoobiw00trandomsnoobi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Is there a way to quickly change which Chat channel I have active?

Precede your message with /p for party chat, /s for say, /lfg for looking for group, /g for guild channel, /z for zone. For example, if you want to say "Hi" in the party chat, just type "/p Hi" and hit enter. If you just want to change channel to party and not actually say anything, type "/p " and hit enter (the space after p is important).
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am sorry to highjack this thread, however I cannot start new threads, even though I have been activated for months in the game, and longer than that in the forums.

I haven't been able to play the game since I first logged in. I am disabled, and cannot play with a keyboard and mouse. Has Neverwinter gotten to point it will support controllers yet?

I love playing STO, and can do so because it will let me use a controller. However, the problem is that all of the secondary programs I used that will allow controller usage mess up my Win 8.1 on my desktop. I have used multiple ones, and they all goof up things.

If Neverwinter is not to this point yet, are there any plans of doing the update so that controller usage is supported by the game itself?

Again, sorry for needing to highjack a thread for this.

Tim.
    Looking for a fleet with casual players? Then check us out at

www.SSOFleet.net

Have fun, and happy gaming.
  • giam24giam24 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    HI guys im not familiar to all topic here im new in online gamings etc but i know i can make up on it