What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "New Class(es)" Feedback Thread!

14567810»

Comments

• chrcorechrcore Member Posts: 329 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    CW got nerfed because they were OP in pve, not because of the new class is anticipated to come. Likewise gwf are getting nerfed because they're op in pvp. .

How many times does this need to be rehashed. CW's were not OP, they were actually the most properly designed to deal with the current dungeon design. If you design dungeons to be add heavy, of course AOE dps classes will do tons of damage, but most of that damage was against trash mobs.

Why don't you do a test parse against a single boss and then we will see how things shake out.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    chrcore wrote: »
    How many times does this need to be rehashed. CW's were not OP, they were actually the most properly designed to deal with the current dungeon design. If you design dungeons to be add heavy, of course AOE dps classes will do tons of damage, but most of that damage was against trash mobs.

Why don't you do a test parse against a single boss and then we will see how things shake out.

My main is a cw. Adds get melted and lifesteal gives you a huge amount of your health back. Dungeon design obviously favourites cws for the most part but that doesn't mean that they weren't OP. People blazed through dungeons with 3, 4 or even 5 cw. That's not to say that I don't think other classes couldn't do with a bump, they certainly do, but for pve, CWs were too effective. However a big chunk of the damage came from eots that procced often causing you to double your damage often and reasonably reliably, especially with steal time giving multiple chances of proccing it. It seems to me that being a control wizard they were intended to be a support class. Instead they seem to be the ones who can most easily carry a team.

As for pvp, I feel like icy rays being undogeable and shard damage were a little on the OP side, but underpowered in most other areas, especially against tanky gwfs and hrs which can opt for better pvp control.
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    CW got nerfed because they were OP in pve, not because of the new class is anticipated to come. Likewise gwf are getting nerfed because they're op in pvp. That's not to say they didn't go over the top making unneeded and over the top changes. You could say that they made 2 paths useless, but thaum used to be the superior one anyway, it's just that we will have to swap now. Ideally all paths would have their place, and they wouldn't make spellstorm be pointless to take. However on the plus side it gives us motivation to play the new path which has a somewhat useful at will and a pretty good daily and encounter with some use. Still there's plenty of time for some additional adjustments. Nothing's final. GWFs probably got it tougher. Cba testing either though, but I hear reasonable things about cws.

This is exactly my thoughts, like to the letter! But if you bring it up in other threads, its like complete denial they are making the GWF class just about useless in almost every aspect of the game. My HR is now 57 this morning! Im kinda of hyped about that =P.. Ill roll a warlock as well, my GWF will be retired at that point.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    The drop shown in the OP is likely accidental on the Studio's part. Here's a thought: Cryptic could drop a nuclear bombshell and release two new classes. After all it has been a *year* since the Ranger was released and we already know the Warlock was in the works since beta.

Just thinking aloud.

Fun thought and I have an inkling you weren't being serious, but you know the forums and some people lack perspective, will read your post and get the wrong idea in their head.

Releasing 2 classes at the same time is a horrible horrible business move.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Fun thought and I have an inkling you weren't being serious, but you know the forums and some people lack perspective, will read your post and get the wrong idea in their head.

You are correct that I am not all that serious - it was just a little curve-ball for fun. And I also concur that in a business-sense it might not be the best move (however: the media would go hog-wild and fresh publicity is rarely a bad thing). Of course people will always read or hear things and think they heard what they want to hear rather than what was actually said. Hence: I reiterate:

"Here's a thought: Cryptic could drop a nuclear bombshell and release two new classes."

LOL

I am amazed at the gullibility of people (Remember the April's Fool video showing a Dragon Mount and all the people who deleted well-established character just to have a slot for it? I need say no more.).
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    This is exactly my thoughts, like to the letter! But if you bring it up in other threads, its like complete denial they are making the GWF class just about useless in almost every aspect of the game. My HR is now 57 this morning! Im kinda of hyped about that =P.. Ill roll a warlock as well, my GWF will be retired at that point.

Yeah not sure my 2 gwfs will get much use unless they reduce some of the nerfs, though 1 was probably gonna be retired anyway. I've given my HR another chance and seems to be doing alright, though I want to respec her to the combat tree/pathfinder. Gwfs used to be the neglected class, then they had their time in the limelight and look like they may be neglected again ):. Of course nothing is final and I haven't actually tested them yet so can't say for definite. As for CW I have heard good things about their control when being oppressor but we'll see how it goes.

I don't see what would make it horrible, in fact it would have the benefit of a little extra class diversity rather than everyone playing just 1 class. Not that I think cryptic would be able to pull it off when they're finding it hard to balance just the existing ones. For them it would be best to focus on finish one at a time before completing another. Though there's nothing wrong with creating some of the mechanics of more than 1 class at a time for preparation.
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    thesensai wrote: »
    Um,... WRONG.

Flat out untrue.

Warlocks are granted their powers by powerful extra-planar entities. Demons, elementals, or powerful fey lords. completely different then divine on arcane magic. You obviously know little about D&D or forgotten realms magic dynamics.

And to let you in on a little secret. More distinct classes will make them more money. Both because that's the way they are in actual D&D and because more classes mean more people spending more zen.

They are granted arcane powers by these pact holders. I've probably been playing D&D since before you were born.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Warlock
    A warlock is an arcanist who gains power through pacts with powerful entities, most commonly devils, elder evils of the Far Realm, fey,[1] or demons.[2] These pacts allow warlocks to channel powerful abilities of [/b]arcane[/b] might that would otherwise be closed to them.
    Prior the Spellplague this difference in the acquisition of magical power made warlocks intrinsically different than their fellow casters. Unlike other arcanists, warlocks were not limited to a number of spells per day, but instead could unleash each of their powers as often as they wanted, though at the cost of versatility.[11] This changed with the Spellplague, after which warlocks became more similar to other arcanists in their casting methods.

They also use magic items that were previously only usable by wizards.
  • calvin1tagcalvin1tag Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I really hope they release 2 new characters, otherwise it will be just like the HR, 100,000 new warlocks running around all looking for a party to queue and complaining about not getting one for 60 levels...personally I'll wait till the shine comes off (a month or two likely) and then try one out)
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am amazed at the gullibility of people (Remember the April's Fool video showing a Dragon Mount and all the people who deleted well-established character just to have a slot for it? I need say no more.).

Of course believing that people actually deleted established characters is also a little gullible. I doubt any of it actually happened, but saying such made good rage fuel.
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    It's so weird to me that they're going to release Warlocks, when they've already started fleshing out Druids a bit through enemies.

-IWD Shamans summon spirit bears
    -Plenty of enemies command animals, specifically a lot in IWD's Bear tribe
    -Lot of rampant plant growth from certain Redcaps in Sharr
    -Bit of shape changing from the Werewolves in Vellosk/The caster Werewolves

Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention as to what similar Warlock powers we've seen from enemies, partly due to how little knowledge I have about D&D. Even so, the Shamans in IWD totally made me think, "There's no way Druids aren't next, if these guys exist!" Seems I was wrong.

This could also mean that Druids are actually still in the development process, while the Warlock class was easier for them to complete, thus comes out sooner.

Maybe one day we'll get that sick Tyrannosaurus animal summon.
    Your observations are quite correct, however the Warlock has been in work since the beginning of the game. The first hints about the possibility of a Druid did not come until about 3 months after the release. As for an in game example of a Warlock, look at Markos. He is in the tutorial and out at the Dread Ring.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    aulduron wrote: »
    They are granted arcane powers by these pact holders. I've probably been playing D&D since before you were born.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Warlock

They also use magic items that were previously only usable by wizards.
    Valid points, however with "The Sundering" and the end of the spellplague, the distinction in the powers may return. Also while not an option in the MMO (yet), in PnP it is possible for a Warlock to be stripped of his powers much like a Cleric if he/she makes his/her sponsor unhappy. It is a bit more difficult for a Wizard to lose their ability.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Mystra can refuse the weave to people, but that's neither here nor there.
  • saini50990saini50990 Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    chrcore wrote: »

the problem is based on why is that party design for any dungeon comes out to be 3CW+GWF+DC and not any class.
    thats the main reason for nerf.
    and talking about GWF damage in aoe it pales in comparison to cw. i run CN with CW and CW using opp force always lead in dmg , GWF dont even have the chance to strike while all mobs die.
  • reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ive wanted scourge warlock since the beta lol
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • williep30williep30 Member Posts: 773 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    reilz1981 wrote: »
    ive wanted scourge warlock since the beta lol

So has my girlfriend. Can't wait to grind it out myself...
    I hear "learn to play" all the time, but it seems to me that it should be defined as "my class is balanced, except when others beat it, then THAT class is OP"...
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    This thread is now closed, as the Scourge Warlock has been announced!

Please partake in the new,
    poll_posticon.gifPoll: The "New Class(es)" Feedback Thread!

Thanks everyone!
This discussion has been closed.