test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ways to beat perma stealth TRs

Comments

• benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sanesjka wrote: »
    CW's are not ment to be Point holders. Please do not use that argument.

Why not? I was ok at being one before my CONTROL skills started being either non noticeable or nonfunctional in PVP.
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014

The only PVP currently is all about contesting points. If you can't do it at all then you're useless.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The only PVP currently is all about contesting points. If you can't do it at all then you're useless.

You're interpreting "contesting nodes" a bit too directly, I'm afraid. Yes, contesting nodes is how the game is ultimately played, but there are a lot more ways to "contest" it than just standing on it alone and capping.

Take for instance, standing on the nodes to capping it itself. In the usual cases "fighting on the node" is indeed the answer. However, in some cases it can be more efficient/necessary for some members to step out, block the path to the node and force the enemies to fight outside of the node.

In another instance, it is usually a good idea for anyone to get the opponent's home node as often as possible, but according to the team composition, how the team is currently doing against the opponent's in major fights, the CW, HRs and fighter classes may be required at the center node to become the "anvil". In these cases if a gwf/gf or a cw insists on going to the back node, the only others left at the mid are TRs and HRs facing off against enemy CCs and tanks. A mismatch of a sort which often leads to defeats.

You should try to look at it from a more tactical perspective.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I hate perma-stealth so much. :p

I'm no pro, but I've used Steal Time from time to time in pug pvp matches when stealth addicts show up and I've actually had fairly decent luck with it. Like has been said, against really good TRs, it doesn't help (at all, really), but against mediocre TRs that use perma-stealth as a crutch, it can turn shear frustration into a fair fight. It's also fun to tele onto a contested node with 4-5 enemies and ST real quick. Generally though, it's best to avoid it unless a specific situation pops up where it would seem useful.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I agree with everything kweassa mentioned.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I slot Steal Time and or IT against perma-TRs. It messes with them and possibly breaks their rotation. Although it is an easy dodge, it's not ineffective.

Thorn Ward on my HR works wonders, btw.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I use icy terrain and stand right in the middle and dodge around it, then cast fanning the flame as soon as they appear. Angry rogue almost guaranteed, and madness in /say chat if they ever manage to execute you.
  • hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    You're interpreting "contesting nodes" a bit too directly, I'm afraid. Yes, contesting nodes is how the game is ultimately played, but there are a lot more ways to "contest" it than just standing on it alone and capping.

Take for instance, standing on the nodes to capping it itself. In the usual cases "fighting on the node" is indeed the answer. However, in some cases it can be more efficient/necessary for some members to step out, block the path to the node and force the enemies to fight outside of the node.

In another instance, it is usually a good idea for anyone to get the opponent's home node as often as possible, but according to the team composition, how the team is currently doing against the opponent's in major fights, the CW, HRs and fighter classes may be required at the center node to become the "anvil". In these cases if a gwf/gf or a cw insists on going to the back node, the only others left at the mid are TRs and HRs facing off against enemy CCs and tanks. A mismatch of a sort which often leads to defeats.

You should try to look at it from a more tactical perspective.

Well this is the problem, exactly.

1 Sentinel GWF or TR to hold 1 and 3, but if they have one more to go 2 and you don't... well.

This makes comps be really restricted and standardized. And since perma stealth TRs aren't supposed to die, you can't even consider 1 or 3 nodes that make points.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • joocycuzzzzzzjoocycuzzzzzz Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    OMG I forgot about Lantern. Well ****, with lantern and icy terrain and steal time, I'm gonna be a perma killing machine.

And I'll use this guy's tactic too. Whenever I see a big group of the enemy I'll jump in and use steal time!

As the squishiest class in the game, that's right where you want to be- right next to 5 enemy players. And if anything bad were to happen, I'll just use my 3 dodges and end up halfway across the map like the guy said.

There's no way they can catch me because I'll be using ICY TERRAIN.

Hell I don't even know why I use my mount, I should just use my dodges to get from point to point.

Man this has opened up a whole new universe of PVP for CWs.

Lol'd so ****ing hard.

Solution to these perma TR's: Make bait-and-switch NOT refill stealth. And to compensate that, make the dummy explode or spread poison which does DoT.
    Beta player

One of the many Control Wizards that misses Shard Of The Endless Avalanche. RIP Shard (Beta-Mod3)
  • joocycuzzzzzzjoocycuzzzzzz Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I disagree. I'm a point holder CW with around 31K HP with Tabbed Repel, shard, Shield to absorb some damage and enfeeblement for a little DoT. It does wonders and helps the team winning, I can distract the other team 4v1 at base #2 and survive for around 10~15 seconds before getting completely nuked, this leaves the team decent time to take/control the two other nodes if they know how to play, sometimes I make all the efforts in the world to get most of their team on me, and when I look at the nodes and see them still Red, it discourages me. You're right about the squishies who use single target spells not being meant for point holding, but if you spec your CW right, it can hold a point for most of the game, even better if you're assisted by a DC.

TL;DR: Endurant CW's CAN be point holders if their HP is high enough.
    Beta player

One of the many Control Wizards that misses Shard Of The Endless Avalanche. RIP Shard (Beta-Mod3)
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    I slot Steal Time and or IT against perma-TRs. It messes with them and possibly breaks their rotation. Although it is an easy dodge, it's not ineffective.

Thorn Ward on my HR works wonders, btw.

Thorn is a good counter but only 1 problem: Its HR exclusive. As for steal time time....ehh I think that TR is not very good to not catch that slow animation
    edited March 2014

This, this and this.

Someone here has a brain
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I disagree. I'm a point holder CW with around 31K HP with Tabbed Repel, shard, Shield to absorb some damage and enfeeblement for a little DoT.

TL;DR: Endurant CW's CAN be point holders if their HP is high enough.

No, no, no, just no.

This is not your job. Your talents are lost each time you have to step on point with a different class other than a DC or less skilled/geared anything else that you can obliterate fast. Also that is NOT high HP, and Repel is more than unreliable. Shield too? OK you just lost 2 slots.

PS: that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to kill permas and IV senti GWFs tho' just as easy as they can kill you :) People don't mention HRs often, but there are builds out there that are just as fatal to a CW as a perma. What will you do against a HR that is deflecting/healing almost anything, and perma-CCs you? Well, die, ofc... And since we're there, GFs are not scrubs either. Good GFs will have little issues with a CW, especially on point.

You can scream for help tho' like a little scared kid and 2vs1 the other classes and feel like a true hero. Not.
  • dragmoshdragmosh Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Never said to take away stealth. Only stated that stealth DPS should be reduced to make it possible for an elite CW to beat an elite TR in a 1vs1 battle.

TRs have impossible to catch and shocking execution.

Reducing damage in stealth doesn't fix perma stealth, and hurts PVE. The point of a perma stealth rogue is not to kill, it's to hold a point. In PVE, we do most of our damage while in stealth, otherwise we'd die very quickly to the hordes of mobs attacking us.

Anyway, if you were to nerf damage in stealth so people don't attack in stealth, or have at will break stealth here's what 1v1 will look like:

TR -Damage - ITC
    CW - Control (Yes it's little with tenecity, but 1 sec root IR, 1 sec EF, 1/2 sec chil strike is 2.5 seconds he's not attacking you) - Damage - Range
    Results: Everytime the rogue gets in melee range, the CW dodges away and shoots of an encounter. Dead rogue

TR- Damage -ITC
    GF -Prone - Damage -Tank
    Result: Proned rogue, dead rogue

TR - Damage -ITC
    GWF -Prone - Damage - Tank -?Unstoppable
    Result: Dead rogue

TR: Damage -ITC
    HR - Range -Damage - Roots

Tr: Damage
    DC: Tank - Healing - very low damage
    Result: Not sure

You guys seem to forget that the rogue is the only melee class with
    1) very low defensive capabilities
    2) no spammable gap closers
    3) no prones

Fighting a rogue without stealth is like fighting a squishy GWF without sprint, without prones, without threatening rush, and without unstoppable. Sure we have ITC and some knives, but the knives are once per 24 seconds, and the ITC only gives us the defense but not the offense of GWF unstoppable

By the way, suggesting a rogue go into stealth for regen ticks? Really? So you're saying CW's regen doesn't tick when a rogue is hiding in stealth? The point of stealth, like every other tab skill in the game, is to give you an advantage. Sure if you are going to nerf stealth like this, nerf unstoppable, remove HR's 3 extra encounters, remove mastery for CW's, and remove whatever DCs and GFs get too.
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Solution to these perma TR's: Make bait-and-switch NOT refill stealth. And to compensate that, make the dummy explode or spread poison which does DoT.

TRs can go semi-perma stealth with PotB, ITC and SS which still makes them almost invulnerable. And feated Gloaming Cut also refills stealth.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • f2pmaf2pma Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    TRs can go semi-perma stealth with PotB, ITC and SS which still makes them almost invulnerable. And feated Gloaming Cut also refills stealth.

just l2p man you have no clue what is op in this game and what is cosmetics.to play with gloaming cut is so difficult that only 1 tr use it well in the whole game.its the same with bait you have no dmg what so ever.if u cant deal with those tr just do pve.
    infact only tr that is good for pvp is that perma.itc pob build any other build is seriously gimped and not worth nothing in average premade.

just goes to show how much crying is going on here you mention gloaming cut as op lolololololololololol.
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    f2pma wrote: »
    just l2p man you have no clue what is op in this game and what is cosmetics.to play with gloaming cut is so difficult that only 1 tr use it well in the whole game.its the same with bait you have no dmg what so ever.if u cant deal with those tr just do pve.
    infact only tr that is good for pvp is that perma.itc pob build any other build is seriously gimped and not worth nothing in average premade.

just goes to show how much crying is going on here you mention gloaming cut as op lolololololololololol.

Reading this post is like diving in to the dirt.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
    edited March 2014

yeah truth hurts
    if any other top pvp player say i wrote something wrong i delete my char.
    of course he will have to prove it in 1v1
  • demonkyuubidemonkyuubi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    dragmosh wrote: »
    Reducing damage in stealth doesn't fix perma stealth, and hurts PVE. The point of a perma stealth rogue is not to kill, it's to hold a point. In PVE, we do most of our damage while in stealth, otherwise we'd die very quickly to the hordes of mobs attacking us.

Anyway, if you were to nerf damage in stealth so people don't attack in stealth, or have at will break stealth here's what 1v1 will look like:
    i will throw in my opinion as a deflect rogue
    TR -Damage - ITC
    CW - Control (Yes it's little with tenecity, but 1 sec root IR, 1 sec EF, 1/2 sec chil strike is 2.5 seconds he's not attacking you) - Damage - Range
    Results: Everytime the rogue gets in melee range, the CW dodges away and shoots of an encounter. Dead rogue
    rogue usually wins unless the wizard has help
    TR- Damage -ITC
    GF -Prone - Damage -Tank
    Result: Proned rogue, dead rogue
    deft strike allows u to get past their guard and if timed right, can even dodge a prone. rogue wins most of the time
    TR - Damage -ITC
    GWF -Prone - Damage - Tank -?Unstoppable
    depends highly on the gwf and how well u can kite them during unstoppable and fight back outside of unstoppable. gwf wins usually, but rogue wins sometimes. deft strike can also dodge prones like with guardians if timed right.
    TR: Damage -ITC
    HR - Range -Damage - Roots
    depends on the hunter. some can easily kill me, some can't. normally rogue wins. deft strike breaks roots.
    Tr: Damage
    DC: Tank - Healing - very low damage
    Result: Not sure
    rogue always wins unless the cleric has help. irony is that i killed cocky rogues on my cleric thinking i was a free kill and forced them to run and die b4 they could escape punishing light. moral: don't let down your guard or u will die.
    You guys seem to forget that the rogue is the only melee class with
    1) very low defensive capabilities
    2) no spammable gap closers
    3) no prones

Fighting a rogue without stealth is like fighting a squishy GWF without sprint, without prones, without threatening rush, and without unstoppable. Sure we have ITC and some knives, but the knives are once per 24 seconds, and the ITC only gives us the defense but not the offense of GWF unstoppable

By the way, suggesting a rogue go into stealth for regen ticks? Really? So you're saying CW's regen doesn't tick when a rogue is hiding in stealth? The point of stealth, like every other tab skill in the game, is to give you an advantage. Sure if you are going to nerf stealth like this, nerf unstoppable, remove HR's 3 extra encounters, remove mastery for CW's, and remove whatever DCs and GFs get too.
    dps rogues should have no complaints about surviving outside of stealth since they are not built to be tanks, but we can be the most effective tank on the team when healed if we have high deflect. deft strike may not be spammable, but it's not necessary when u can easily keep up with anyone with 2 dodges + teleport + immunity. whisperknives have a prone i think because i remember one doing some epic back-flip that knocked me down.

cloud of steel also gains a charge every 3 seconds. as long as u attack every 10 seconds, u can maintain healing depression on anyone and since most permas use bile then it's even easier since it keeps going long after u stop.

i will give u that ITC is inferior to unstoppable and should not be used to straight up tank gwf's. we still need to kite and u have to be rdy to dodge-roll as soon as it ends.
  • iuliandreiiuliandrei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014

That's an understatement and there's always room for a new low :)
    edited March 2014
    iuliandrei wrote: »
    That's an understatement and there's always room for a new low :)

sure u just reached it smiley
  • iuliandreiiuliandrei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    sure u just reached it smiley

I couldn't match it even if i try, you got a rare gift son, not everywhere you can meet someone whose delusions provide unlimited stand-up material.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Full perma build in PvP, which is allegedly what everyone's upset about, requires B&S. Without it the Rogue is visible and vulnerable at some point in PvP. SS required a hit to refill stealth and has a short range. Gloaming Cut is slow, difficult to hit with, requires being in melee range (and thus detectable), and only refills 10% stealth per hit. It's very rare that this allows any significant stealth boost in PvP.

If stealth/ITC isn't permanent, where's the problem?

People really should try playing a stealth Rogue before making suggestions on how to fix stealth. It would lead to a much more informed discussion.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited March 2014
    iuliandrei wrote: »
    I couldn't match it even if i try, you got a rare gift son, not everywhere you can meet someone whose delusions provide unlimited stand-up material.

i have a rare gift thats for sure its called the truth it bites u in the *** hehe
    edited March 2014
    Full perma build in PvP, which is allegedly what everyone's upset about, requires B&S. Without it the Rogue is visible and vulnerable at some point in PvP.

Nope I don't think people are truly upset about these guys, who are good only to run around on the nodes to keep them contested and maybe kill some very squishy unsuspecting CWs.

People are bothered by the semiperma fotm TRs, with PotB instead of B&S. This style of gameplay if played right offers little to no window of opportunity to take them down other than fishing for them by instinct with AoEs such as FLS and so on. This TR is lethal too - PotB, 2 damaging at wills, one ranged, and when they finally get AP, then you get SEed, so they can cut fights in half. Yeah they will be visible - but not vulnerable, thanks to ITC or flurry 3rd stage. Pretty much all high end TRs play this.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    pers3phone wrote: »
    Nope I don't think people are truly upset about these guys, who are good only to run around on the nodes to keep them contested and maybe kill some very squishy unsuspecting CWs.

People are bothered by the semiperma fotm TRs, with PotB instead of B&S. This style of gameplay if played right offers little to no window of opportunity to take them down other than fishing for them by instinct with AoEs such as FLS and so on. This TR is lethal too - PotB, 2 damaging at wills, one ranged, and when they finally get AP, then you get SEed, so they can cut fights in half. Yeah they will be visible - but not vulnerable, thanks to ITC or flurry 3rd stage. Pretty much all high end TRs play this.
    I see them in the PuG matches I play as well. I guess the difference is the wide range of ability, as I can kill some of these guys pretty easily on my HR or Combat TR. High deflect works wonders, as does moving out of the AoE and using ranged attacks. A lot of them only PoB out of stealth as well, since stealth cuts the duration of PoB in half (same overall DPS though as it ticks faster).

They're more problematic on my CW as I don't have the defences to soak up the damage so can only rely on getting the hell out. If one gets to me when I'm out of teleports then it's game over. But that's the same for all opposing classes as a CW nowadays. I spend a lot of time hiding behind walls and/or a friendly meatshield.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited March 2014

You realize OP just suggested to use Steal Time as a CW to counter perma-TR?

Not sure if OP is joking or what but that is a stupid suggestion.

Don't worry, you'll get your chance to "cry" if Cryptic nerfs TR

They've done it once justifiable, and I'll keep bringing this topic up on the forums until they do it again and take a step closer towards balanced PVP :)
    edited March 2014
    dont wory cw will always suck in pvp at least bad ones.
    miumiu used steal time to counter perma one of top 5 cw all time in this game.
    cryptic knows that cw is op in pve which means cw have the best gear in the game which they didnt pay for.
    on other hand most bis tr,all pvp gwf paid for their gear.they will always be better then cw .
    so if you are waiting that 22k hp pve cw come to pvp and be viable that will never happen.
    edited March 2014
    A 22k HP CW deserves to die in PVP by the way, and no cryptic will not buff CW because like you said, they are OP in PVE.

What cryptic MIGHT do is nerf the stealth mechanics. They are already discussing this on the TR forums. Will they actually nerf it to make it balanced in PVP? Who knows.

I'm just gonna keep bringing this topic up and discussing it to put it in the developer's minds. It happened in the past, TRs QQed on the threads threatening to quit. Nobody gave one flying f about their crying. Hopefully happens again.
    edited March 2014
    dont wory cw will always suck in pvp at least bad ones.
    miumiu used steal time to counter perma one of top 5 cw all time in this game.
    cryptic knows that cw is op in pve which means cw have the best gear in the game which they didnt pay for.
    on other hand most bis tr,all pvp gwf paid for their gear.they will always be better then cw .
    so if you are waiting that 22k hp pve cw come to pvp and be viable that will never happen.

The true forum reasoning comes up yet again...