test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Trace's Guide to AD Creation and Wealth Building

Comments

• degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Method #16 posted. TGIF, Trace
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
    edited January 2014
    Method #17 posted. The guide churns on.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm glad you added my method (#16).

Since I had some sleep yesterday, I may post how to create your own update. I find your example quite weak, using updates, you can often expect an average 500%+ ROI.

Updates happen more frequently than once every 3 months. Every week or so, there's one. Everyone knows that some dungeons have glitches some nasty players use for their own profit. This means the prices of the drops from this specific dungeons are going to drop quickly. I still don't know why the devs don't monitor AH prices to detect exploits, but anyway.

If you report that glitch, you have 7 to 10 days to "farm the AH", buy extremely cheap items, and wait for the ninja fix (often not in the patch notes). Once it's fixed, since you've made the effort to report a bug to the dev team, you can claim your reward and sell what you've saved, since the prices are going to skyrocket. A 500% ROI isn't uncommon.

The pros are obvious: you have control over the required update (the devs take some dungeon glitches seriously now), the ROI is impressive, you help the devs improving the game and you can do this as long as dungeons are not completely fixed.

Some people may hate me for posting this but this is by far the most profitable and fastest method to make a crapton of ADs, and it's just your reward for reporting a bug.
  • radiick507radiick507 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I must say that this is a well thought out Guide. Extremely well written, informative and can and should be very handy for those seeking their fortune playing the "stock market" in Neverwinter.

I am sure you had as much fun writing it then you do making and spending AD. I Gratz you for such a fine document.

Saying that, I am very much on the left-wing on the "real world" Corporate markets, business and the likes. That does not mean I do not like making money or seeing a profit on any of my investments, I can guarantee you use the same "smarts" in the real world than you do in the "virtual world".

But at my tender age of 50, father of 3 and grandfather of 1, closing in on a fine retirement, a 5600 Square Foot house with no mortgage, an expensive German Car in the garage (all paid for), that at this time of my life, the last thing I want to do is "speculate" on "pixels and lights"in a "fantasy world" that I want to escape to. I applaud those who do and love to see many participate in all aspects of the game, this only enhances the game and makes it a much better and productive community which I love being part of.

What I am trying to say, is "I want something" at this point in my life, I will simply purchase it. I want that new mount or pet, then all behold spending $100.00 to acquire it does not phase me one bit. Again that helps everyone playing the game, the same way you and others do while playing the AH.

The one thing that angers me and maybe it should not, but I ALWAYS place all Higher ends items (purple of course) I either craft, loot or get through a lockbox much lower than the currant rate. I don't do this necessarily to sell it fast but (here goes my left wing stance again) I do it simply with the expectation that a player who may not be able to afford it otherwise may see it and snap it up quickly. Most of the times I am not even out of the AH interface and the item has already sold. I do keep a log of who purchases the stuff though as I want to make sure that they are using it and not resell it at a profit as one of your suggestions mentions. It is fair game, I understand that, my goal is simply to enhance the playing Community. I have only seen it happen once and I promptly ingame mailed them stating that fact. No reply was required and none was recieved. My Point at least was made clear to the buyer-reseller.

I have given away so much stuff in PE while inspecting other toons and handing them some purple items that I know would be resold if I put them on the Market. I gave away 3 Rust Monsters this past week, about 15 idols and countless shirts and pants to players simply in PE. Some may know who I am ingame, the funny part is the reaction I get from WoW, Holly <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, you Sure, no way I can ever repay you etc..." I never ever ask for anything in return except Play and Have Fun. Make the game FUN for Everyone, if that is how I do it, then so be it.

At the end of the day, if your post makes peeps happy that they understand how to play the AH right, than you have done it also, you have made the Game Fun.

So from the Left Side of the Economic half-circle to the Right side, I applaud you my friend, now if you can ever post something like this on how to beat that Tier 6 Dungeon in the Sword Coast Adventures, you will make us all HAPPY!

Now I just saw one is posted...................all the best..........keep gaming and keep having Fun!
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    radiick507 wrote: »
    sniping to reduce length but replying to what was said

Giving stuff away is great but I have to say you were probably out of line for mailing the guy on the ah that bought something you listed low and resold it. If you are selling it regardless of price all you get to control at that point is the price. If I use it, resell it, salvage it, or just destroy it for some reason are no longer your concern. I think what you did in mailing that other player was a type of harassment and it's why the ah should be anonymous.
  • radiick507radiick507 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Giving stuff away is great but I have to say you were probably out of line for mailing the guy on the ah that bought something you listed low and resold it. If you are selling it regardless of price all you get to control at that point is the price. If I use it, resell it, salvage it, or just destroy it for some reason are no longer your concern. I think what you did in mailing that other player was a type of harassment and it's why the ah should be anonymous.

Luckily I only had to do it once, I posted something at 120K when the current price was around 160K and he reposted it immediately at 160K, in the matter of the time it took me to pick up the AD at the Post-Office and went back an saw it. If it was more than 1 hour or so, I would not have been phased at all, but 2 minutes, I certainly was. I was more concerned that he may have been a Gold seller as his level was less then 25 at that time for an item he could not have used until 60.

I am on your side here, and totally understand where you are coming from on being anonymous. All my Message said was "I posted that for someone to use not to resell immediately, anyways learned my lesson from you, will give the stuff away next time" and has been that way since.
    edited January 2014
    Here is another question I am curious about, the persons posted in this thread seem to be the more knowledgeable of the AH system, so here goes:

Why the heck are players posted items for sale on the AH at 100 Million AD? It is in almost every area of the AH. At first I thought it was like in FFXI where you had almost no storage space, so you kind of "parked" it on the AH until you had some room. But in this game minus the deduction of the AD plus you can secure enough space in the Bank or in your bags, just does not make sense.

Then I though maybe it is to transfer AD from one player to another, but yet again who has 100 million AD on them? Or is it something else that can't be mentioned here?
  • lllthelordllllllthelordlll Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Here is another question I am curious about, the persons posted in this thread seem to be the more knowledgeable of the AH system, so here goes:

Why the heck are players posted items for sale on the AH at 100 Million AD? It is in almost every area of the AH. At first I thought it was like in FFXI where you had almost no storage space, so you kind of "parked" it on the AH until you had some room. But in this game minus the deduction of the AD plus you can secure enough space in the Bank or in your bags, just does not make sense.

Then I though maybe it is to transfer AD from one player to another, but yet again who has 100 million AD on them? Or is it something else that can't be mentioned here?

They put it because when people go to check the AH the AH will first show the highest buy out prices so that mean alot of people will see the deal and will bid for it which means more chances to get higher bids
    edited January 2014
    They put it because when people go to check the AH the AH will first show the highest buy out prices so that mean alot of people will see the deal and will bid for it which means more chances to get higher bids

This. It is actually going to be another method I put up (guildie talked to me about this today). You're basically taking advantage of people seeing your post first and bidding on it.

Method #18 will be up shortly.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    edited January 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    I'm glad you added my method (#16).

Since I had some sleep yesterday, I may post how to create your own update. I find your example quite weak, using updates, you can often expect an average 500%+ ROI.

Updates happen more frequently than once every 3 months. Every week or so, there's one. Everyone knows that some dungeons have glitches some nasty players use for their own profit. This means the prices of the drops from this specific dungeons are going to drop quickly. I still don't know why the devs don't monitor AH prices to detect exploits, but anyway.

If you report that glitch, you have 7 to 10 days to "farm the AH", buy extremely cheap items, and wait for the ninja fix (often not in the patch notes). Once it's fixed, since you've made the effort to report a bug to the dev team, you can claim your reward and sell what you've saved, since the prices are going to skyrocket. A 500% ROI isn't uncommon.

The pros are obvious: you have control over the required update (the devs take some dungeon glitches seriously now), the ROI is impressive, you help the devs improving the game and you can do this as long as dungeons are not completely fixed.

Some people may hate me for posting this but this is by far the most profitable and fastest method to make a crapton of ADs, and it's just your reward for reporting a bug.

I understand this quite well. I've purposefully shied away from posting these types of examples, because I believe discussing glitches and such are against the TOS of the NW Forums.

My example of Coalescent Wards in Method #16 Trading the News was much more legitimate, because the fix was announced and made on the preview shard. Often times other fixes (such as the recent VT fixed) is not metioned by the Devs or in the patch notes for obvious reasons.
    I must say that this is a well thought out Guide. Extremely well written, informative and can and should be very handy for those seeking their fortune playing the "stock market" in Neverwinter.

I am sure you had as much fun writing it then you do making and spending AD. I Gratz you for such a fine document.

Saying that, I am very much on the left-wing on the "real world" Corporate markets, business and the likes. That does not mean I do not like making money or seeing a profit on any of my investments, I can guarantee you use the same "smarts" in the real world than you do in the "virtual world".

Now I just saw one is posted...................all the best..........keep gaming and keep having Fun!

I very much applaud your generosity. Those types of people are all too rare in this world. In real life I work for a non-profit, drive a Fiat, live in a 900 square foot condo, and my wife works for a vet. So we're fairly far behind financially. *shrug* Hence the F2P mindset.

And yes, I created this document to help others, just like you do being generous. I'm not making any more AD giving these methods away. To be honest I'm most likely increasing my competition.

Best, Trace
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • mlegermleger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Dread Ring Tip - Focus on unlocking your gauntlets first.

Why - Well you are going to spend a fair amount of time in DR working on unlocking your Boons. Why not make it more worthwhile.

you say "But mleger, I never get anything good out of the ghost chest."

Well this is more of a reason to upgrade it, its a better chance

The Adamantine Gauntlet can retrieve 1 of the following:
    1 Eye of Lathander Rare Artifact [really nice, extra artifact]
    1 Piece of epic Thayan Zealot armor for your class [can't use it, well salvage it, more AD]
    1 Mark of Potency [ka ching]
    1 Weapon or Armor Enhancement Shard [not any good, well its still great food for your artifact]
    1 Aquamarine [food for artifact]
    1 Lesser Mark of Potency [comes in handy]
    2 Peridots [food for artifact]
    2 Rank 4 Enchantments [food for artifact]
    Thorin Oakenshield - 60 DC | Floki Longarm - 60 TR | Tiny Tank - 60 GWF
    Stand your Ground NW-DNBHK74ML
    edited January 2014
    Trace:

"And yes, I created this document to help others, just like you do being generous. I'm not making any more AD giving these methods away. To be honest I'm most likely increasing my competition".

This is exactly why I added to your post, we are doing the same in very different ways for the same results. That is why I needed to comment on your post. If you were that "evil" corporate Big Executive Anti-Labour Union Boss, there would have been no way in "kingdom come" that you would have shared your AH experiences and help others.

Thanks for clearing the 100 Million AD selling question I had: you mean to tell me that some person (or people) are that much of a nincompoop that they would bid right off the bat on a 100 Million AD item without looking further on the list? Well let me answer that with all my years of experience......YES and YES!

BTW: don't worry, when my wife and I first got married at the tender age of 19, our fist little house, had newspapers covering the windows, one hyda-bed, a small bar fridge, a 22cm B & W TV, 2 lamps, TV Tables to eat off, a third-hand moped for transportation, and we each worked 2 part time jobs while we worked on our University degrees. 30 years latter, One Masters and 4 BAs for me and 1 Masters and 2 BAs for my wife, 2 daughters with BAs and another working on it, we had a rough ride, but made it and I never ever forgot the little people as I worked my way up. Probably why I always loved working on Left-Wing thinking non-profit companies and Social Agencies.

With that kind of friendly document up on the AH, I can see you will go far. All the best my friend.
    edited January 2014
    mleger wrote: »
    Dread Ring Tip - Focus on unlocking your gauntlets first.

Why - Well you are going to spend a fair amount of time in DR working on unlocking your Boons. Why not make it more worthwhile.

you say "But mleger, I never get anything good out of the ghost chest."

Well this is more of a reason to upgrade it, its a better chance

The Adamantine Gauntlet can retrieve 1 of the following:
    1 Eye of Lathander Rare Artifact [really nice, extra artifact]
    1 Piece of epic Thayan Zealot armor for your class [can't use it, well salvage it, more AD]
    1 Mark of Potency [ka ching]
    1 Weapon or Armor Enhancement Shard [not any good, well its still great food for your artifact]
    1 Aquamarine [food for artifact]
    1 Lesser Mark of Potency [comes in handy]
    2 Peridots [food for artifact]
    2 Rank 4 Enchantments [food for artifact]

Great points, here. I focused on getting my boons unlocked, because I'm more geared for PVP than PVE and wanted the extra advantages. But this is a great idea for players who are short on AD and want to get a little bit ahead.
    Trace:

"And yes, I created this document to help others, just like you do being generous. I'm not making any more AD giving these methods away. To be honest I'm most likely increasing my competition".

This is exactly why I added to your post, we are doing the same in very different ways for the same results. That is why I needed to comment on your post. If you were that "evil" corporate Big Executive Anti-Labour Union Boss, there would have been no way in "kingdom come" that you would have shared your AH experiences and help others.

Thanks for clearing the 100 Million AD selling question I had: you mean to tell me that some person (or people) are that much of a nincompoop that they would bid right off the bat on a 100 Million AD item without looking further on the list? Well let me answer that with all my years of experience......YES and YES!

BTW: don't worry, when my wife and I first got married at the tender age of 19, our fist little house, had newspapers covering the windows, one hyda-bed, a small bar fridge, a 22cm B & W TV, 2 lamps, TV Tables to eat off, a third-hand moped for transportation, and we each worked 2 part time jobs while we worked on our University degrees. 30 years latter, One Masters and 4 BAs for me and 1 Masters and 2 BAs for my wife, 2 daughters with BAs and another working on it, we had a rough ride, but made it and I never ever forgot the little people as I worked my way up. Probably why I always loved working on Left-Wing thinking non-profit companies and Social Agencies.

With that kind of friendly document up on the AH, I can see you will go far. All the best my friend.

Thanks for the encouraging words, radiick507. Your story is very inspiring. Although do keep in mind that I work for a right-wing non-profit group. I hope we can still be friends. ;-) Although stereotypes exist for a reason, there are many of us right-of-center with strong mindsets of generosity and fairness as well. I like to think those attributes are not isolated to certain political sides.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I understand this quite well. I've purposefully shied away from posting these types of examples, because I believe discussing glitches and such are against the TOS of the NW Forums.

My example of Coalescent Wards in Method #16 Trading the News was much more legitimate, because the fix was announced and made on the preview shard. Often times other fixes (such as the recent VT fixed) is not metioned by the Devs or in the patch notes for obvious reasons.

There is nothing against a careful reading of the ToS. This is only a smart combination of two perfectly allowed facts: reporting a bug and using the auction house. How can someone be blamed for telling others they can report a bug? How could you be blamed for buying on the AH? You're at most creating your own insider trading incident but it's not against the rules.

Now please allow me to share some insights about MMO markets.

You may add some other elementary rules, like "understand the game mechanics", "understand perfect world's pricing and lockbox cycles", and "have basic knowledge of human behaviour". One good example: many people have misconceptions about how prices fluctuate, because they are inspired by the completely biaised real world prices. IRL, when there's something new, it's expensive. Then, after some time, the prices decrease because there's something newer and the producer wants to sell his stuff to the most reluctant customers. Prices are completely artificial and rarely rely on a supply-demand basis.

On the other hand, neverwinter is a completely free market in some ways. When there's something new, the key and lockbox supplies aren't artificially limited to raise the price of these items. Most of the times, people will try to get the most desirable items, so they will keep opening lockboxes until they get what they want, or until there is no more money to buy keys. This means there's going to be a ton of extremely cheap less desirable items during the first day (and the first day only) of a new lockbox release. One day is the average time frame people need to realize that there are some interesting cheap items. You can actually make the best deal during the first 3-4h, as long as you can evaluate how much this is going to cost later, based on the previous lockbox items.

Prices on older items will also decrease shortly after the new lockbox has been released. Less supply doesn't mean increased prices. Most of the potential buyers already have their old items, some people stored these old items, and will sell them quickly to buy the new ones. There is also often a small 'panic' when the hoarders see the prices has dropped dramatically. This is the best time to buy the older most desirable items (mounts, companions). The price will slightly increase for 2-3 days after the new lockbox and then decrease for maybe 1-2 weeks.

As long as you know the behind-the-scene mechanics of these completely unregulated markets, you can take advantage of other player's misconceptions about markets. I also strongly suggest anyone interested in making some profits or understanding how such markets work to monitor the AH 1 day prior to the new lockbox release and the day that lockbox is released. You're in for a surprise and see i'm mostly right! :)
    edited January 2014
    [/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the encouraging words, radiick507. Your story is very inspiring. Although do keep in mind that I work for a right-wing non-profit group. I hope we can still be friends. ;-) Although stereotypes exist for a reason, there are many of us right-of-center with strong mindsets of generosity and fairness as well. I like to think those attributes are not isolated to certain political sides.[/QUOTE]

edit: sorry having trouble with quotes and multi-quotes this evening.

No their not, some of my best friends sit across the political table from me. Having a beer or my favorite Vodka Martini with them is a blast and we can talk Hockey all night long as we won't remember what we said the next day and have to "politically pay" for it......

On the Adamantine Gauntlets, I upgraded it as soon as I could but since then with about 12 to 14 runs through the various 3 dungeons in Dread Ring I have never gotten better then 2 Peridots or two 4 rank enchants ever! I actually did much better with lesser gloves. But the RNG has never really favorite me anyways........On skill nodes this evening every single one I penned (about 20) had some sort of Mark of whatever, Pearl or Peridot in each node (not worth much but still). Maybe that was in the stars for me or simply a bonus evening for all players.
  • ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I suggest that #17 be rewrote to something else because this thread aims to help people.
    edited January 2014
    I suggest that #17 be rewrote to something else because this thread aims to help people.

A few comments, Ian, since we've dialoged in the past.

1) I don't do Method #17 because it's playing on other's ignorance and because the returns are just awful.

2) Mentioning that method is actually helping people for two reasons. First, some people may not know that some of those items can be bought at the WB/Zen Store. Now they do. Secondly, increased awareness means increased competition. The more people try it, the slimmer the margins, and it may even push them into the negative.

3) Technically people who do that method are doing nothing illegal or against the ToS. Shrewd? Yes. Cunning? Perhaps. But nothing illegal. Being clever does not equate to wrong doing.

4) Not everyone shares your sense of morality. Some people will pay $5 for a latte. Others will only pay $2. It's just economics.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    edited January 2014
    But telling players that they can take advantage of other players' ignorance isn't quite appropriate, is it?
    edited January 2014
    But telling players that they can take advantage of other players' ignorance isn't quite appropriate, is it?

I'm not telling anyone to do anything. It's their choice whether they want to participate in that method. This guide is about how to make AD without running PVE content, not about business ethics. Method #17 fits into that category and will stay.

If you don't like it, don't do it, and maybe tell some friends about what can be bought in the WB or Zen Store.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    edited January 2014
    Okay. Besides that one, nice guide.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thank you for the wealth of information.
  • asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have 2 methods i've used to great effect in STO, but i have yet to test them in Neverwinter:

1) New lockboxes. The first few days after a new lockbox becomes available (heck even as much as a week or 2), the LOCKBOX ITSELF can be worth a pretty penny. People want to open them, and buying them on the AH is faster than farming them themselves.

2) Limited Edition Item Hoarding: Grab up a whole bunch of items that will only be available for a limited time, or are only available very infrequently (seasonal items for eg.), hold onto them for a length of time, then sell them for a huge profit (Eg: Farm up a few Fawns or Mimics during Winterfest, then sell them in June, long after they're no longer available and most others have dried up off the AH). the downside is of course waiting for the right time to sell, but if you farm out the items rather than buying them, you make nothing but pure profit in the long run. I've made a killing usig this particular method, but its not for everyone.
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    1) New lockboxes. The first few days after a new lockbox becomes available (heck even as much as a week or 2), the LOCKBOX ITSELF can be worth a pretty penny. People want to open them, and buying them on the AH is faster than farming them themselves.

The sad part about this method is: you can buy the current lockbox for 200 AD in the Wonderous Baazar...yet people overpay so much for them.
    edited January 2014
    The sad part about this method is: you can buy the current lockbox for 200 AD in the Wonderous Baazar...yet people overpay so much for them.

Hence Method #17
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    edited January 2014
    I have 2 methods i've used to great effect in STO, but i have yet to test them in Neverwinter:

2) Limited Edition Item Hoarding: Grab up a whole bunch of items that will only be available for a limited time, or are only available very infrequently (seasonal items for eg.), hold onto them for a length of time, then sell them for a huge profit (Eg: Farm up a few Fawns or Mimics during Winterfest, then sell them in June, long after they're no longer available and most others have dried up off the AH). the downside is of course waiting for the right time to sell, but if you farm out the items rather than buying them, you make nothing but pure profit in the long run. I've made a killing usig this particular method, but its not for everyone.

Thanks for mentioning this. A guildie did this not long ago with Lilend Companions (as they are limited edition and only released for a certain time). I'll put it on my list and write it up soon.

Best, Trace

PS: On that same note, the Winter Festival is coming to an end here in a few days. *nudge nudge*
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    edited January 2014
    Method #19 posted.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    regarding Method #4: Working the ZAX

I've noticed a trend in ZAX prices, rising higher around Wed-Thurs-Fri and dropping Sun-Mon-Tues

it would appear that this is caused by the weekly sales, which start (and end) every Thursday

has anyone else observed this behavior, or am I just going crazy?
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • j0shi82j0shi82 Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Method #11 The Bidding Wars

I've tried this for quite some time a few month ago and it was truly annoying. I am unable to place any bid within the last 35 seconds of an auction, so surprisingly I can't compete in any way. With certain workarounds and a little help of the gateway I've been able to place bids in the last 15-20 seconds, but that's also not nearly close enough to win anything.

I personally make the most AD off event items. BoE-stuff sometimes sells at 1000%:

Pig 15k -> 95k
    Armored Orc Wolf 50k -> 700k
    Skeletal Dog 8k -> 80k
    Skeleton 185k -> 500k

exploited Renegade Evoker at 40k also was a solid investment.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    it would appear that this is caused by the weekly sales, which start (and end) every Thursday

Yeah, although some financial trends are also simply caused by increased gameplay traffic on weekends.

IRT thread
    I don't do method #17 because it makes me feel dirty. I do warn people to check exchange rates and do the math prior to purchasing items that can be obtained from the Zen shop (or directly from the WB... though the item description of Marks of Potency tells you they can be bought from the WB so sometimes it's like the buyers of overpriced things just can't be helped). But my ethical stances can't prevent other people from doing it, so I basically agree with Trace. The only person I've ever really argued with about AH practices was someone who was talking about how much he enjoyed selling bags of holes.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Here's a bit of an odd one that isn't necessarily guaranteed but can be worth checking. Items you gain from boss drops while questing can have unique skins, which can be desirable for transmutation.

Basically, if you get something with a unique name and it isn't bound (because some cool boss drops are), it doesn't hurt to take a quick peek at the AH to assess demand. Questing items are rarer than ones from dungeons because people don't run those instances repeatedly. It can be far better to sell than equip, or you might have another piece of vendor trash on your hands. But you don't know unless you look.

Also, knowing which sub-60 blues are hot sellers can be profitable. "Nefarious" gear for TRs used to be a fantastic thing to post for shockingly high profits (because I couldn't imagine spending that kind of scratch for levelling gear myself). Not so much worth bothering with now that TRs aren't trendy. With rangers being the flavour of the month, if you pick up a random item for an HR, you might have a nice chunk of change on your hands. Accessories can also be worth looking at. Don't overprice. Think of what's a reasonable amount of ADs for a (slightly less stingy) player at that level to be willing to spend on something nice, and make sure that there aren't a bunch of auctions for similar items sitting unsold with no bids. Length of time remaining and whether or not there are bids - which is easier to see in-game - are good indicators of what people will pay, or if they'll buy your item at all.

tl;dr
    Not all gear that will sell has to be level 60 epics. You can start building wealth simply by selling the odd item you find as you level.

Another note, I've seen people who say that they put everything on the AH, even for small amounts, and most of it sells. I don't know how accurate that is. I know that I've AHed items where the same person came along and bought all of them, obviously to vendor into gold, which they might have needed for potions or been into more "wtb for gold" than I'm ever likely to do. In the long run, this was too micro-managey for too little money for me to bother with, especially with the limitations on sale slots.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
This discussion has been closed.