test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Trace's Guide to AD Creation and Wealth Building

Comments

• degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't understand why undercuts of 3% is considered better than a 1 AD undercut. A 1 AD undercut has little potential to lower the going price of something. A bunch of 3% undercuts could lower the price of something indefinitely, actually <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> the person that you undercut.

1 AD undercut is just... *cuss*-ish. I try not to do it unless someone else is abusing the ability. 1%-3% is a bit high. I try to undercut by at least 100-500 AD or so.

Here's essentially how the 1 AD undercut is abused. "Stan" here has five Rank 8 Darks for sale for 320k AD. "Timmy" has 20 Rank 8 Darks in his inventory, and puts up 2-3 at a time, undercutting Stan by 1 AD. He spends all day doing this, taking all the sales. At the end of the day, Timmy has his profits, and Stan is left high and dry because his are still up.

Wait until it happens to you. It's good fun. You'll love it.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    I don't understand why undercuts of 3% is considered better than a 1 AD undercut. A 1 AD undercut has little potential to lower the going price of something. A bunch of 3% undercuts could lower the price of something indefinitely, actually <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> the person that you undercut.

It is not better. It is just "etiquette" as some people would say. You are free to do what you wish.
  • arinathosarinathos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just wanted to say a big thank you to Trace. I'm finally making enough AD to get my characters on their way to being well equipped. Your suggestions opened up a whole new way to play the game. Not only do I get to do 'chopping and shopping' as my daughters say, I also get a mini-lesson in economics. FWIW, you've made a difference in a lot of people's enjoyment of this game!
  • dashartzdashartz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I do not know if it has already been addressed but, why hasn't the most useful thing on these forums not been stickied yet? I usually check this specific thread daily to see if any updates are made or anything changed/or new stuff is added. Will a mod/admin/etc. plz sticky this.
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for all the encouraging words, everyone. I finally got around to posting my last method (#28). Unless some dynamics of the game change, that should be it for AD methods outside of farming. I'll do my best to post a weekly commentary on the ZAX and AH.

Best, Trace
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • dragmoshdragmosh Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Does anyone have a list of consumables/high use/utility items that are primarily (as in 95% of the supply) sold in the cash shop? I know keys are the big one, but I'd like to diversify, and I don't think enchantments are used enough for consistent profit. Does anyone know of other things people use all the time? I was thinking the marks of potency (various levels), as they are used for all enchantments so it's less specific, but as far as I know those drop in PVE quite often. I prefer not to merchant items whose price is defined by people farming, as that doesn't usually have enough fluctuation to make a decent profit, unlike CS items where sales can heavily impact the price.

In one of the other PWE games, Forsaken World, I used merchanting to build up the majority of my gear, so I know the basics of merchanting, demand/supply, and risk/reward, but I haven't played enough here to figure out what the best items are.

Anyway, thanks for the great guide, especially for the game specific information that would be very hard to find without help!
    edited March 2014
    dragmosh wrote: »
    Does anyone have a list of consumables/high use/utility items that are primarily (as in 95% of the supply) sold in the cash shop? I know keys are the big one, but I'd like to diversify, and I don't think enchantments are used enough for consistent profit. Does anyone know of other things people use all the time? I was thinking the marks of potency (various levels), as they are used for all enchantments so it's less specific, but as far as I know those drop in PVE quite often. I prefer not to merchant items whose price is defined by people farming, as that doesn't usually have enough fluctuation to make a decent profit, unlike CS items where sales can heavily impact the price.

In one of the other PWE games, Forsaken World, I used merchanting to build up the majority of my gear, so I know the basics of merchanting, demand/supply, and risk/reward, but I haven't played enough here to figure out what the best items are.

Anyway, thanks for the great guide, especially for the game specific information that would be very hard to find without help!

Just get in game and see. I can't think of any items outside of Greater Marks of Potency that are a better deal in the cash shop. So many farmers in this game drive the market down. We're definitely headed to an increased supply stage, as prices of enchants, peridots, stacks of 99 Rank 5s are all dropping. You'll get a slight boost during the weekends, but until the release of Module 3 or an amazing sale, I'd expect lots of competition selling and very low prices/profit margins.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just get in game and see. I can't think of any items outside of Greater Marks of Potency that are a better deal in the cash shop. So many farmers in this game drive the market down. We're definitely headed to an increased supply stage, as prices of enchants, peridots, stacks of 99 Rank 5s are all dropping. You'll get a slight boost during the weekends, but until the release of Module 3 or an amazing sale, I'd expect lots of competition selling and very low prices/profit margins.

in most cases, Companions or Mounts available in the Cash shop, are cheaper to buy the Zen with AD and buy that way then buy in the AH
    Tenebris lux mea est
    edited March 2014
    Updated Method #25 to reflect new ELO system.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    edited March 2014
    Market Commentary, 21 March 2014.

The ZAX has hovered between 380-400 for some time. With no expected release date for Module 3, expect minimal volatility unless another good sale occurs.

It is currently a buyer's market now for Enchantments. Supply is extremely heavy as farmers pour more and more enchantments/runestones into the AH. Prices are near breakeven (or lower). With no new content or new classes, the number of buyers have stalemated. The result will most likely be deflation as undercutting is becoming fiercer and fiercer.

The separation of PVP and PVE offers an interesting complication for the market. Right now, PVP players who focus on Tenacity gear have less of a reason to run T2 content to gear up their toons (although they may still run for the fun of it, or the off-chance of finding a good item to sell). Gauntlgrym, however, is a means around this. Right now PVP players can run DK to not only farm GG Coins/Glory, but also T2 gear as well.

Artifact prices remain in similar ranges as before. Coalascent Wards have spiked over 200k AD but have somewhat stabilized. Perhaps this is the new 150k AD (which was the new 100k AD before the BoP from invoking).

Happy trading everyone, Trace.

PS: Essence of Aggression is awesome!
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    edited March 2014
    23 March 2014.

Here's your post weekend market commentary, folks!

1) The ZAX remained strong throughout the weekend hovering slightly below 400, perhaps due to...

2) Many buyers being drawn to the secret Lillend companion sale. Upon purchasing a Profession pack, there was a chance to get the companion, which...

3) Dropped the price of Lillend companions in the AH significantly, as well as some of the prices of crafting tools. Because of this, expect more people to be entering into the crafting pant/shirt market in the near future.

4) Enchantments continue to be a buyer's market. This weekend farmers flooded Rank 5-8s with extremely heavy supply, pushing the prices at or beneath creation cost. Although this is good news for those seeking enchantments. Enchanters, however (such as yours truly), have all but been driven out of the market.

5) Peridot prices pushed beneath 50k AD for the week, hovering near the 1:1 RP/AD ratio. Expect prices of all farmed items to continue to drift lower (deflation) as the market continues a heavy supply side.

6) Coalescent Ward prices continue to creep up slightly, currently at 215k AD.

Happy trading! -Trace
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • nazghul22nazghul22 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    run DK to not only farm GG Coins/Glory, but also T2 gear as well.

How you do that? PvP queue takes you either not at all or one minute before the end, and then when dungeon time starts you get a message saying that despite having won the pvp, you can only queue for the spider crypt.
    ToD = ..........
    Tired of Dailies/Tyranny of Dailies/Timers of Doom/Tricked Or Duped/Tremendously Obnoxious Dailies/Try Otherwise, Devs
    edited March 2014
    nazghul22 wrote: »
    How you do that? PvP queue takes you either not at all or one minute before the end, and then when dungeon time starts you get a message saying that despite having won the pvp, you can only queue for the spider crypt.

To run DK you must 1) have a scroll from the first PVE portion and 2) your side (Delzoun or Luskan) must win the overall PVP (not your match specifically). That allows you to queue for DK. If either of those are not met, you're only running the T1 DD.

Time-wise, you have 30 minutes to run the DD after the PVP 1/2 hour. We ran a great party yesterday of 3 CWs, 1 GWF and a TR. We did four FC runs and two DK runs with no exploiting. Get that GS up and it's totally possible.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    To run DK you must 1) have a scroll from the first PVE portion and 2) your side (Delzoun or Luskan) must win the overall PVP (not your match specifically). That allows you to queue for DK. If either of those are not met, you're only running the T1 DD.

Time-wise, you have 30 minutes to run the DD after the PVP 1/2 hour. We ran a great party yesterday of 3 CWs, 1 GWF and a TR. We did four FC runs and two DK runs with no exploiting. Get that GS up and it's totally possible.

not to further derail the thread, but i believe he was reffering to the Armories of Moradin Share that is required to get into DK.

for some reason, most ppl think you HAVE to do PVP to get the share, but that's false, participating in the Catapults and Giant Recruiting will award you a share when the PVP timer is up if you didnt get into PVP in time
    Tenebris lux mea est
    edited March 2014
    31 March 2014.

Your weekly economic commentary follows:

1) The ZAX continues a steady upward climb, reaching around 415 for the past weekend. A good price for sellers!

2) Deflation continues in Neverwinter as farmers are strong through Rank 5-8 enchantments! Enjoy the discount prices. Stacks of Rank 5s fell below 70k this weekend, and Peridots fell below 40k. Great prices for buyers!

3) Coalescent Ward prices continue to creep slowly north, around 220,000 a piece. With the discount pricing of enchanting materials, however, prices of Weapon and Armor Enchantments have remained steady.

4) Artifact prices remain someone consistent. However, Emblems of Seldarine (with their strong PVP advantage) have increased slightly.

Happy trading! Trace
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    edited April 2014
    8 April 2014.

Here's your weekly market commentary for the Neverwinter economy.

1) Deflation is getting downright nasty in Neverwinter. A member of my guild saw stacks of Rank 5s selling for 40k recently! Rank 7s and Rank 8s are amazingly inexpensive due to the massive amount of farmers flooding the market with enchantments. I used this time to rank up some Artifacts (I got my Waters to 99 on my HR for about 1.6kk AD, not bad).

2) C. Wards continue their steady rise north, currently trading for around 245k AD. No doubt less people are opening lockboxes and awaiting the release of module 3.

3) The ZAX continues strong, hovering well about 400. We'll definitely see a spike with the release of Module 3. If you're a ZAX trader, consider buying in a week or so before the release date.

4) There are some great sales this week in the Zen Store. Blue Ioun Stones and Preservation Wards are both discounted.

Happy Trading, Trace

PS: If you have the Glory and are looking to level up a Power Artifact (Lantern, BCRS, Valindra's Crown), consider spending 150k-160k on three stacks of Rank 5s(99). For less than 200k AD total, you can get 619k RPs! A steal!
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    2) C. Wards continue their steady rise north[/COLOR], currently trading for around 245k AD. No doubt less people are opening lockboxes and awaiting the release of module 3.

So much for all the people who predicted that they would never rise in price when the Celestial box ones were made BoA/lowered to 5% drop rate , " They'll never rise in price , we only need half as many now ,price will remain 140k " etc etc lol
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    So much for all the people who predicted that they would never rise in price when the Celestial box ones were made BoA/lowered to 5% drop rate , " They'll never rise in price , we only need half as many now ,price will remain 140k " etc etc lol

These were the people who had a stack of Coal Wards ready to sell now at the higher rate.
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    These were the people who had a stack of Coal Wards ready to sell now at the higher rate.

Astute observation...lol
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Not saying you are wrong, but the raise actually began when they nerfed the amount of Tarmalune Trade Bars from Lockboxes. The Unearthed Lockbox and the nerf were introduced on Feb 13th. Beginning with that exact date the price began to climb.
    edited April 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    Not saying you are wrong, but the raise actually began when they nerfed the amount of Tarmalune Trade Bars from Lockboxes. The Unearthed Lockbox and the nerf were introduced on Feb 13th. Beginning with that exact date the price began to climb.

This is the primary cause of the rise of the C. Ward price. Keep in mind, enchanting costs (Peridots) have gone down dramatically (from 110k a stack to less than 40k a stack). So in the end, it seems the overall price isn't severely impacted.

We will most likely see a small drop in the C. Ward price when module 3 is release and the new lockboxes are opened.

Keep in mind, Cryptic has a serious issue with deflation in the NW economy. Since they permit an endless number of farmers, they need to find other ways to keep prices for plummeting. They did their best with the new refining system, hoping to stabilize prices, but that is now working against them, dropping the prices of enchants dramatically.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    edited April 2014

Could be due to a lot of possibilities.

First, maybe people stopped opening lockboxes since there is a new one coming out soon. Another is that one person bought up all the coal wards to raise its price to 250k.

As of now, I don't know which one has the biggest impact but I am observing this closely
  • ashnvfashnvf Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The ZAX seems to be continually rising. Not sure why farmers have all of a sudden driven the market. These guys have been here all along...... unless there is some new enchantment dupe causing those prices to fall and allowing the farmers to keep buying up zen, driving those prices higher and higher.
    edited April 2014
    ashnvf wrote: »
    The ZAX seems to be continually rising. Not sure why farmers have all of a sudden driven the market. These guys have been here all along...... unless there is some new enchantment dupe causing those prices to fall and allowing the farmers to keep buying up zen, driving those prices higher and higher.

I am going to guess that there is a decreasing influx of new players, those that want rank 8s, 9s, 10s already have them, and due to the lack of significant content updates for a long time, a lot of people have temporarily put this game on hold.

There is not too much to do at the moment. PVP is horribly imbalanced, no dungeons are worth it anymore (CN is meh).

We'll see once module 3 comes out, hopefully activity picks up
    edited April 2014
    It's basically the same effect that we saw with blue Marks. Once the bottleneck of the refining system, Marks have gone down in value ever since because you only need so much to upgrade your Artifacts.
    Right now you can upgrade Artifacts to legendary in a heartbeat with Rank 5s. For players like me with multiple 60s this is very welcomed because otherwise I wouldn't be able to cover everyone. I buy from bots, but honestly I don't care if a huge chunk of needless grind and heavy clickfest (the refining systems usability gets 1 out of 10 from me, drag&drop, click, cooldown *yawn*, repeat, *puke*) is taken away that way.

I started refining with the R4s and Peridots I found and thank god R5s emerged, because I honestly don't know how long I would have made it without using Makros for the mess.
    edited April 2014
    There are actually a lot of reasons for the jump in the ZAX. The big mover from the 330's to 400's was the release of the new lockboxes. I expected the prices to drift slowly down, but Cryptic did a good job with giving us some really good sales afterward (Key discount the week after, Lillend Companion returned, and now a sale on P. Wards and Ioun Stones). As long as their are good sales from Cryptic, the ZAX will continue quite high.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • chrcorechrcore Member Posts: 329 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    It appears there is some sort of bug with lillends and folks are able to get endless supplies and are buying more and more keys.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    chrcore wrote: »
    It appears there is some sort of bug with lillends and folks are able to get endless supplies and are buying more and more keys.

That doesn't even make sense, since you don't get Lillends from lockboxes.

While the price on them plummeted during the promotion, they've currently recovered to more than twice what I was able to buy them for at the lowest I saw them.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • chrcorechrcore Member Posts: 329 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    That doesn't even make sense, since you don't get Lillends from lockboxes.

While the price on them plummeted during the promotion, they've currently recovered to more than twice what I was able to buy them for at the lowest I saw them.

I don't know how it works, something related to a promotion but you get it then after opening every box.
    edited April 2014
    Yeah really nothing unusual going on with the Lillends. And sure no "endless supply" because even Profession Packs bought during the Pormotion don't drop the Lillends any longer if I'm not mistaken. Have bought my first for 500ish as well during one of the first promotions. This time the market went crazy for a day but I guess folks just get smarter and know when to buy. I got like 15 for 200-300k and sure hope to resell for a lot more down the stretch.

By the way: It's not unusual that prices stay the same or even drop a little bit even though supply goes down like we're seeing right now with Lillend. That doesn't mean something fishy is going on. Big jumps often only happen once the market completely or nearly dries out and people repost at much higher rates.

Tip: Keep an eye on these Armored Orc Wolves. They seem to recover faster than other CtA pets. Swashbuckler is longer on the market yet still going for slightly over 50k while the Wolf already doubled its value.

Fawn and the Frost Mimic from the Winter Fest also having a hard time surpassing their initial values, but showing more and more signs lately that they are on the verge of rising.
This discussion has been closed.