test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic OFFICIAL Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger

Comments

• obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I just created the class and notice something that I am not sure if this has been mention before. I was able survive 10 - 15 mobs at level 8. Would this be overpowered or not? I played the rogue and died twice like this.
    I have cleared similar with CWs and TRs recently (as part of the level to 17 experiments in this thread), there is nothing unusual about this in that level range.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • xmousepadxxmousepadx Member Posts: 381 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    aslong u have pots and u dont fight against range mobs u can even survive 30 mobs...
  • gipsylassgipsylass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 61
    edited November 2013
    Which powers?

I'll level one of my 2 up and test depending on the powers and see if I can reproduce the bug.

Any of them.. I just tried again - tried to raise Rapid Shot and Split Shot to Rank 2, clicked "ok". then reopened the char-sheet and again it didn't save.. Other people are reporting the same thing, there's a thread about it in the Bug Report Forum of the Preview Server.

Edit: I just turned Level 10 and *after* distributing my first heroic points I could also raise my powers...
    Hopefully this bug won't make it to live...
  • arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I just created the class and notice something that I am not sure if this has been mention before. I was able survive 10 - 15 mobs at level 8. Would this be overpowered or not? I played the rogue and died twice like this.

The HR feels like it drastically gets weaker as you level up. You won't be able to handle much for long.
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
    edited November 2013
    gipsylass wrote: »
    Any of them.. I just tried again - tried to raise Rapid Shot and Split Shot to Rank 2, clicked "ok". then reopened the char-sheet and again it didn't save.. Other people are reporting the same thing, there's a thread about it in the Bug Report Forum of the Preview Server.

It's a general window bug on the ptr.
    When u refine enchants it asks u if u wanna return to the char selection screen if u changed befor, same happens when u bought stuff from the npc, ranking up powers ect, each time u get an ok button it takes the window from ur actions befor.
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Cold Steel Hurricane
    Does not list the AP cost (100%), while it has a range it also does not paint an AoE zone to see what it affects. It also doesn't snare (assuming that means immobilizes them) anything.

The game suffers from using different words for the same thing and depending on interpretation to develop and understanding of the effect of powers; eg what does snare do vs grasping roots vs rooting?
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • fistiganfistigan Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    arcmoon99 wrote: »
    The HR feels like it drastically gets weaker as you level up. You won't be able to handle much for long.

Agreed although they did increase dmg on the split shot that was sorely needed. The control/aggro is not balanced at all yet it has improved slightly but I have noticed that you have to be VERY specific on Power choices if you want to be able to fight and survive at higher levels and what is with the 50pt Daily? wait to get to the end and that daily does next to no dmg looks like someone had a creative block and just threw something in there and it really doesn't do much. Still thinking ranger is rated a 5 on a 1-10 scale
  • werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    fistigan wrote: »
    [snip] Still thinking ranger is rated a 5 on a 1-10 scale

You gave it a slightly better rating than I did. 4/10 from me here's why. (and remember these are just opinions after leveling all the way to 60.)
    • It seems to have no discernible role (striker/controller/leader) it has a bit of all of them but none are good enough to be a primary role.
    • They have repeatedly stated that this class is based on mobility but aside from marauders rush/escape the mobility actually feels worse than most classes, it's nice that the shift can be used so many times but the super short movement entirely negates it.
    • Gear... I have seen some nice set bonuses but the stats seem.. well i just feel that they were not very well planned.
    • Survive-ability. this is partially linked to points 1&2 aside from the super deflect ability that lasts 5 seconds when in melee (double tapping tab refreshes it so its short duration is more just inconvenient than anything) it doesn't quite have the DPS to burn its way out of most situations nor does it have the control to really give them space to do much. Marauders escape will give you a few seconds at best (sometimes it's enough but not usually) and the other defensive abilities are... unappealing at best.

all these together dropped my rating by quite a bit, and this is not to say that there aren't several things i absolutely love about this class and i will be playing it on live because it fits my personality, it's what i like to play.
    21.jpg
  • xushin7xushin7 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I honestly think the HR was better off before the changes they did before. To me it feels its at around 5/10 while before it was a 7.5/10 considering the bugged feats and class feature powers it possessed (and still do) and the damned Siesmic Shot persistant animation.
    edited November 2013
    Aside from the bugs to me the HR is playing about the same as the other classes now, just minor tweaks and fix the bugs and it will be good to go on Dec 5. Especially considering there will be more changes as things go along (*points at every other class still being tweaked*).
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited November 2013
    Not sure where to put this one..

Bug: Fire Elementals; Death x2
    When you kill an Ash Disciple & Flameshields and they explode they play the death sound effect again and the arrows linger in the air on their own for a moment.

Please remove the little dodge this power has as it can mess up positioning or worse skip you into a worse situation (like off something - though I haven't done this yet I'm just waiting for it to happen).
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Okay, updated feedback. After the massive screwu... er, nerfing I deleted the old Hunter Ranger and rerolled a new one.

DEAR DEVS: Perhaps it's because I've play tutorial through Tower District hundreds of times that it just plain feels like a painful grind by now, but seriously the new Hunter Ranger just feels really weak and *really slow*. Painfully slow.

I won't go into the weakness aspect of the class because that's being hashed, rehashed and re-rehashed in this thread already. So I'll cover how painfully slow it feels:

I agree (with many comments here) that the animation, and by extension the power-dealing (amount of damage per minute) of the class feels SLOW. Not only is the using of powers feeling SLOW, but they are constantly interrupted, which makes it worse, (and this is my primary complaint). I can deal with the slowness of casting powers, but the interruptions are absolutely frustrating as I am forced to either abandon a power mid-cast, or it is interrupted. What a freakin' waste of time. At least with Split-shot I get something out. But too many others, like Rain of Arrows go on cool down even though NOTHING whatsoever happened. At. All. "Hey, Hunter Ranger, turn around, bend over and raise your tunic for a moment, will you?"

Encounters are SLOW. Seriously, it feels like I'm playing a Great Weapon Fighter, but at least that class can take hit after hit after hit. This class feels just this side of Cleric (survivability-wise) but combat is SLOW because it's so darned weak.

LEVELING IS SLOW. I just finished the Tower District zone... and level 14 (!) Like I've said: I've played all the way through level twenty hundreds (yes, really: hundreds) of times. Every single time since closed beta 1, I've always come out of Tower District at level 16 or literally just shy of it (return to Knox, get the invoking quest, Auctioneer quest, etc., and boom: level 16 minimum). Though I usually am mid-level 16 or on some occasions level 17. In rare cases when I was just learning to play it was often a healthy (high) level 15.

But this time: level 14!? I've not changed anything, played through every quest offered and even the hidden "bonus" quests (like firebugs and magic items in Tower District) and still: level 14. -AHEM!-

I know there's still two weeks to go to tweak this class, but as it is right now: I give-up on it. I agree this is for "advanced" players and I'm a casual player (definitely not a min-maxer, etc.) - but I like the idea of playing a Ranger class and I'd stay in ranged mode if I could (melee just does't feel as fluid as Trickster Rogue for some reason, but I know that's just my own perception). Okay, I can deal with standing at campfires to heal after resurrecting often, fair enough. I'm not complaining about the 'difficulty' of playing the class in general.

But the SLOWNESS of it all is just way too painful.
    edited November 2013
    Hmm level 14 maybe 15 is where I finish Tower District on live unless I deliberately grind levels these days. Finishing it at a lower level is hardly an indication of slowness or weakness, it actually indicates the opposite. Though given your stated practice at the relevant zones that probably accounts for it more than class power.

That said I am concerned that the shortening of some of the earlier content (Blacklake, Finding Honor) may create more characters finishing TD at lower levels.

Also.. yay 60...now how do I get AD on this HR?
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Sharandar Quest Reward
    When you do the first Sharandar Quest you get the GF reward instead of a HR one.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hmm level 14 maybe 15 is where I finish Tower District on live unless I deliberately grind levels these days. Finishing it at a lower level is hardly an indication of slowness or weakness, it actually indicates the opposite. Though given your stated practice at the relevant zones that probably accounts for it more than class power.

That said I am concerned that the shortening of some of the earlier content (Blacklake, Finding Honor) may create more characters finishing TD at lower levels.

Between the streamlining of Blacklake and not doing any skirmishes at all, my HR was a minimum of 2 levels behind whatever he was fighting the entire time I was playing him. I even threw in some Foundry to help a bit.

But as long as I had a bow that was an appropriate level (thus having reasonable base damage), I found the class strong enough to just keep pushing through the content rather than try to get my levels up.

I only played up to the end of Blackdagger because Jareth Grimm made the game crash a bunch of times in a row (which I now think was because I was triggering him to teleport to me before his cutscene played).
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Also.. yay 60...now how do I get AD on this HR?

I understand what you're saying. I'm just giving my feedback from my own perspective and I also realize there may be other factors at play (for example: I am both Hero of the North and Feywild Knight pack owner, and there are companions and other things in there (Greybeard weapon enchantment (or whatever it's called) and such that are suddenly NOT available on Preview, since they disconnected the chat from Live for some reason). And the lack of these may very well be affecting this outcome - which will be a first for me (it's first time I'm playing a character without either of these) - and I never said my experience is wrong or not the intended result. -winks-

It is only my own feedback and I know my experience may or may not be the "norm".

It still feels too slow. I probably should have highlighted that the Interrupts are the BIG DEAL-BREAKER for me. :)
    edited November 2013
    Yeah I hear the interrupt thing, the class needs careful management of when to use the powers so you don't fall victim to constant interrupts. You will spam the basic at-wills a lot.

Rain of Arrows, use it at the start dropping it right in front of you (or once you have a Man At Arms, use it once he has the mob's attention) this stops the interrupt thing and takes advantage of its long timing. Not that you will not drop Rain like a hot stone once you can use Thorn Ward anyway. ;) (Note you can also drop Thorn Ward before you open with other powers as well.)

When you finally reach the dizzy heights of level 55 and can access Fox's Cunning you can manipulate the interrupt thing by using Fox's to get you the extra breathing room required to run the power (eg Aimed Shot to open, then Fox's, then Aimed will go off a second time usually before you need to cycle other powers).
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • racerexiaracerexia Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    There is no kiting with this class, and with no ability to zoom it makes it hard sometimes to pick your targets and shoot them. Its a melee approach to ranged... makes for a very weird hybrid. Granted it does have some powerful attacks, but in enclosed environments with a lot of opponents its easy to become overwhelmed until you unlock the melee stance. It seriously needs the ability to shoot on the move.
  • indevaindeva Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Between the streamlining of Blacklake and not doing any skirmishes at all, my HR was a minimum of 2 levels behind whatever he was fighting the entire time I was playing him.

Mine 2, and I loved it - a bit of challenge is nice.

I think it is because they have shortend down some map. I did a GF to try out swordmaster and it's about 2 lvls behind as well.
  • gipsylassgipsylass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 61
    edited November 2013
    I've been waiting for the HR class ever since I started with open beta. It's my favourite class. When I read the first reviews here about the class being too powerful, I already thought to myself - "Uh, oh... hopefully this won't lead to a nerf into oblivion", cause that's what usually happens - where all that might be needed is a little balancing.
    And that's just about what happend, ok, maybe not quite into oblivion, but close.. This is the third class I've played and I must say that HR is by far more "slow" to play than TR and even CW. It does less damage and has less survivability because of missing controls and the interrupts.
    I seriously hope that in the two weeks before this goes live there'll still be some tweaks made.
    And - for heaven's sake - (and this goes for ALL classes) - will you please, please stop listening to PvP whiners when balancing classes? I've experienced this in game after game after game: PvP complaints lead to nerfs that are uncalled for in PvE.
    I don't know how this can be solved - but hopefully there'll be a solution to this dilemma sometime soon.
  • voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I've been waiting for the HR class ever since I started with open beta. It's my favourite class. When I read the first reviews here about the class being too powerful, I already thought to myself - "Uh, oh... hopefully this won't lead to a nerf into oblivion", cause that's what usually happens - where all that might be needed is a little balancing.
    And that's just about what happend, ok, maybe not quite into oblivion, but close.. This is the third class I've played and I must say that HR is by far more "slow" to play than TR and even CW. It does less damage and has less survivability because of missing controls and the interrupts.
    I seriously hope that in the two weeks before this goes live there'll still be some tweaks made.
    And - for heaven's sake - (and this goes for ALL classes) - will you please, please stop listening to PvP whiners when balancing classes? I've experienced this in game after game after game: PvP complaints lead to nerfs that are uncalled for in PvE.
    I don't know how this can be solved - but hopefully there'll be a solution to this dilemma sometime soon.

Blame the PvE testers saying the class is OP just experiencing lvl 1-15 content i wouldn't dare give feed back on a class until i played it though lvls 1-60 then breakdown my findings. Reporting bugs is def though calling for dmg tone down when you havent hit max lvl is ridicoulous in my opinion.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mio1968mio1968 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 46
    edited November 2013
    As long as one states their level when giving feedback it should be no trouble. The devs test too, they don't just blindly modify according to posts.

That said, I expect there has to be another balance pass on numerous skills (mostly underpowered at this point), and a lot of bug fixes. It would be great if they released such patch early enough to give us time to test it before live. For now I stopped testing. Unlike other module 2 feedback threads, we are getting absolutely no feedback on our feedback.
    edited November 2013
    voltomey wrote: »
    Blame the PvE testers saying the class is OP just experiencing lvl 1-15 content i wouldn't dare give feed back on a class until i played it though lvls 1-60 then breakdown my findings. Reporting bugs is def though calling for dmg tone down when you havent hit max lvl is ridicoulous in my opinion.

Absolutely agree on this as well... this is what I wrote, when testing the HR was still in the beginning and a lot of people (at low levels still) said that the HR is way to overpowered:
    .... please don't be too fast in saying the ranger is OP. I've played CW and TR and both times I thought (in lower levels) - hey, they're strong... - this changed quickly when levelling up - more so with CW as with TR.

Well, still some time to go... but - as mio1968 - I really hope that we'd get some feedback in this thread as well...
  • sigregsigreg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 56
    edited November 2013
    Feedback - Ranger at will attacks sound
    Sound Fx team does great job in this game, kudos guys ! However sounds of ranger attacks lack some "style" imho. Actually.. they dont sound as powerful bow attacks with arrows cutting air to bring instant death ;) Maybe if you could add a fading out "whistle" of arrow traveling with high speed ? Just a suggestion.
    edited November 2013
    sigreg wrote: »
    Feedback - Ranger at will attacks sound
    Sound Fx team does great job in this game, kudos guys ! However sounds of ranger attacks lack some "style" imho. Actually.. they dont sound as powerful bow attacks with arrows cutting air to bring instant death ;) Maybe if you could add a fading out "whistle" of arrow traveling with high speed ? Just a suggestion.

There is so much more stuff that needs to be improved and ppl rly care about how the bow looks like or how the sound of their abilitys is... i rly dont get it.
    Also they don't sound like ''powerful attacks'' cuz they hit like a wet noodle, so everything is fine!
    edited November 2013
    Was randomly inspecting low level Rangers in PE before and saw things like the 20 Str/20Dex Half-orc, seeing things like this makes it clear why some folks are having trouble. Heck I stopped at the Campfire in Dread Ring and inspected another HR, 11K GS with worse effective stat distribution than my 8.3K GS HR.

Its also clear from the chatter in PE that people are not using the forums. So they are not learning this stuff before they make their first HR.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited November 2013
    Was randomly inspecting low level Rangers in PE before and saw things like the 20 Str/20Dex Half-orc, seeing things like this makes it clear why some folks are having trouble. Heck I stopped at the Campfire in Dread Ring and inspected another HR, 11K GS with worse effective stat distribution than my 8.3K GS HR.

Its also clear from the chatter in PE that people are not using the forums. So they are not learning this stuff before they make their first HR.

Well dont blame ppl on the ptr!
    It's there for testing and most of them just wanna have a good time and don't care about stats since they havent checked the armorpieces yet.
    Rather help them out and teach them instead of blaming them!
    edited November 2013
    Its not just about checking the armor stats, heck I didn't until it came up here.

If you just "wanna have a good time" wouldn't it be more likely to be a good time if you looked around and found out what other people have learnt about the class?

You know like str is useless above 13, don't put points in Lone Wolf because its busted, Hindering shot does work but weak grasping roots is really weak, rain of arrows is best as a set up at start but not more than 1 point etc.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • xtraordinary91xtraordinary91 Member Posts: 323 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Its not just about checking the armor stats, heck I didn't until it came up here.

If you just "wanna have a good time" wouldn't it be more likely to be a good time if you looked around and found out what other people have learnt about the class?

You know like str is useless above 13, don't put points in Lone Wolf because its busted, Hindering shot does work but weak grasping roots is really weak, rain of arrows is best as a set up at start but not more than 1 point etc.

I disagree on your thoughts on Strength. For PvE it may verywell be a wasted stat, but pvp wise I can greatly see the benefit of having the extra Armour Penetration and more importantly the stamina regeneration for more dodges.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
    edited November 2013
    Ok so PvP, what do you want 30-40% ArP?

So with just Predator or Royal Armor sets and CN Weapons you have 2377 ArP.

Add 2 Piercing Berserker Rings; 2863

Add the Reagent's Guard Cloak (because every Epic gets it not because its the best choice); 2931

Add 2 Rank 7 Dark's in Offense Slots; 3291

Pick a belt with 200 odd ArP; 3491

That gets 28% Resistance Ignored.

Add 6% for Str for a total of 34% ignored.

How much more do you want for PvP?

If you really need more stamina for dodging (seems unlikely) then drop some dots in Swift Footwork and Seeker as feats.

Without even trying with just a few bits of blue gear and 16 Str (with Campfire) I was over 24%, I've actually been loosing ArP from gear to cut back down to 24% for PvE...
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
This discussion has been closed.