test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Zen Market price changes - Prices permanently reduced!

cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
edited October 2013 in News & Announcements
Learn more about the upcoming price changes, http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=912801, including permanent price reductions on many of the most popular Zen Market items! Thanks to your incredible feedback, we're making great strides towards our live launch on June 20, 2013!

Are you excited for the live launch? Leave a reply below!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ghestapwghestapw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So, let me see if I understand this.

As a way to thank your customers who have already spent thousands and thousands of dollars / euros / etc on zen, you're going to thank them for their purchases by saying "Hey, everyone ELSE is going to get a discount now, not you." How does this show that you value your customers?

I've spent thousands and thousands of zen on these items already, but I get no rebate? As an open beta player I've tested and bug reported and lost AD and zen to items that were bugged and helped you to fix it. But now, after everything that I've put in, you're going to discount the items I've already purchased? Does this seem backwards to you? Or is it supposed to be a big EFF you to the players that have helped make this game what it is already?
    Rhev@ghestapw - Co-GL <iTyrant> - ityrantguild.com - Beholder server
    Try out my first foundry mission - The Missing Youth - NW-DGX79EG65
  • Options
    maggotholemaggothole Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That's a step in the right direction, but the big thing is BAGS and BANK SPACE!! Those need to be halved in my opinion.
  • Options
    realborealbo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Can't say I'm surprised. I wasn't really expecting much.
    Admiralsig.png
  • Options
    satorusenpaisatorusenpai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    ghestapw wrote: »

As a way to thank your customers who have already spent thousands and thousands of dollars / euros / etc on zen, you're going to thank them for their purchases by saying "Hey, everyone ELSE is going to get a discount now, not you." How does this show that you value your customers?

I've spent thousands and thousands of zen on these items already, but I get no rebate? As an open beta player I've tested and bug reported and lost AD and zen to items that were bugged and helped you to fix it. But now, after everything that I've put in, you're going to discount the items I've already purchased? Does this seem backwards to you? Or is it supposed to be a big EFF you to the players that have helped make this game what it is already?
    I actually agree, I bought some of those things recently, and since it's open beta feel it would be fair to be given the Zen that is being dropped in return.
  • Options
    ghestapwghestapw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    In ever beta I've ever played in, pay to play items are either refunded when the game goes live, or returned to original condition. I knew there would be no character wipe, as they made that very clear. But a refund on the difference in spent items for those of us who have purchased these items would seem to be ethical at the least.
  • Options
    ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I am with you, I have bought tons of stuff so far spending A LOT of zen on stuff that will now be much cheaper - doesn't seem fair that we don't get the difference back - shouldn't be that hard to do since I am sure you have logs for everything somewhere
  • Options
    desjardiniidesjardinii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

Your kidding? Right? I mean say you buy a new car as soon as it comes out. You just HAVE to have it first, and drive it before everyone else, so you pay top dollar with no discounts. After a few months they start discounting the price with special offers. Do you really think the dealership is ping to call you up and say "hey the price dropped, we want to send you some money back!"? No way. You spent money to buy stuff as soon as you could. Thanks for supporting the game, but why don't you take your sense of entitlement and move along.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Your kidding? Right? I mean say you buy a new car as soon as it comes out. You just HAVE to have it first, and drive it before everyone else, so you pay top dollar with no discounts. After a few months they start discounting the price with special offers. Do you really think the dealership is ping to call you up and say "hey the price dropped, we want to send you some money back!"? No way. You spent money to buy stuff as soon as you could. Thanks for supporting the game, but why don't you take your sense of entitlement and move along.

Your analogy is off my friend. It's more a factor of if I'm given the chance to help test drive a new vehicle, and putting my own money and time on the line, I help to smooth out the kinks and make it ready for the population as a whole. However when it is released, it's released at a up to 25% less cost then what I paid to help them.

As for supporting the game, I notice PWE user next to your name and not guardian or founder. So thanks, but why don't you let those of us who actually have spent money talk about how we feel wronged, k?
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They can't win, can they.

The prices are too high! **** you!

*some prices go down*

You lowered the prices! **** you!

When the price of something gets lowered at my grocery store, they don't track down each and every person that ever bought that product and refund them the difference based on the quantity they purchased in the past.

Price reductions are generally not retroactive.

Instead of complaining, be happy that this is a possible indication that future prices will be set lower than would have been the case if these prices had not been reduced.
  • Options
    sootarsootar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I totally agree with this!

I have spent 50,000+ ZEN already, and as ghestapw also says, tried to help you out with bug reports, loosing items and AD, not to mention suffer through rollback and huge AD exploits. Where is our bonus? Our pat on the back that says "Hey, thanks for helping us out making this game better".

And thats not to mention the whole "Ultimate Gamecard" scam.. Yes, scam... I went and bought 3x $20 cards, but because im set in eurpe, I only got a total of 5537 ZEN for them, not the promised 6900 (including bonuses)..

So yeah, thanks guys!
  • Options
    lukkahlukkah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013

well, here is the issue with your statement. when you buy a new car, and pay full price, that product has already been tested. so, if pwe had gone fully live and then made all the discounts i could see your point. however, the game is still in beta, and the discounts were made while the game is still being tested.
  • Options
    daemonspadedaemonspade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    They can't win, can they.

The prices are too high! **** you!

*some prices go down*

You lowered the prices! **** you!

When the price of something gets lowered at my grocery store, they don't track down each and every person that ever bought that product and refund them the difference based on the quantity they purchased in the past.

Price reductions are generally not retroactive.

Instead of complaining, be happy that this is a possible indication that future prices will be set lower than would have been the case if these prices had not been reduced.

I know that you knew OP is 10 yr old right?
  • Options
    xoplexxoplex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sootar wrote: »
    I totally agree with this!

I have spent 50,000+ ZEN already, and as ghestapw also says, tried to help you out with bug reports, loosing items and AD, not to mention suffer through rollback and huge AD exploits. Where is our bonus? Our pat on the back that says "Hey, thanks for helping us out making this game better".

And thats not to mention the whole "Ultimate Gamecard" scam.. Yes, scam... I went and bought 3x $20 cards, but because im set in eurpe, I only got a total of 5537 ZEN for them, not the promised 6900 (including bonuses)..

So yeah, thanks guys!

I totally Agree with ghestapw at least give us some kind of kickback. Bags are way to expensive as well. Gamecard scam suked too. At least this is a step in the right direction, just keep going :)
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    A fair time ago, when people were complaining about the prices, I said that the game is still in beta. I pointed out that this meant the cost of things in the cash shop were in beta too, and could well yet change. Early adopters of anything often end out paying a premium over those that wait, but get to enjoy their purchase for a longer period of time, so it balances out to some degree.

It could easily be much worse. Just ask the early adopters of betamax how they felt about their purchase compared to early adopters of vhs after a bit of time passed. At least you can still use what you paid a premium for.
  • Options
    deculbdeculb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think the price reductions are awesome. Yes, I already bought a bag (and a cheap mount) at the old price. No, I do not expect a refund. I'm actually a little taken aback by people being upset that prices are lowering.

I could have gotten my bag at a cheaper price if I had waited, but I didn't. For me to now not want anyone *else* to get anything cheaper than what I paid for it seems a bit...selfish. Zen store prices were one of the most heavily-criticized aspects of Neverwinter. The fact that they are being addressed can only be a good thing for the future success of the game.
  • Options
    osadamaskosadamask Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No reduction in ward pricing?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    ... still in beta. I pointed out that this meant the cost of things in the cash shop were in beta too, and could well yet change. Early adopters of anything often end out paying a premium over those that wait, but get to enjoy their purchase for a longer period of time, so it balances out to some degree.

This is actually the best argument I've read for what happened. I'd say that you're completely right if cryptic had also said this officially. But very good point sir.
  • Options
    shadedkinshadedkin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

+1. I agree we should get a price difference refund. But I am not going to quit if they don't. :p
    11k+ GS CW | Langor@shadedkin | Dragon Server76561198027499089.png
  • Options
    izidiusizidius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited June 2013
    Some people will never be happy no matter what...
  • Options
    deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    So, all of us that have spent full price on these things that are now to be permanently discounted, will get some sort of reconciliation? I mean, it would be stupid to just put these things on a different price bracket, and not reward the people who supported you before you did this, right? I can only take so many slaps in my face before I'm done, you know.
  • Options
    maevar1maevar1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited June 2013
    This is a joke right!!!! You spent money on a game in beta!!! AND now you want a retroactive refund because prices are dropping when they go live!!!!!!

This ENTITLEMENT mentality is absolutely sickening.....personally, I wish they would ban you just for asking that. ROFL
  • Options
    drayfindrayfin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You can't compare tangible goods (cars and groceries) for non tangible online items.

I have not really spent a whole lot on zen items so this does not affect me in a huge way, but I do agree that it seems odd that there would not be some sort of a bone tossed to the people that have already spent a lot of zen. Maybe even a tiered type system where if you spent x amount of zen then you receive y. Maybe something along the lines of 10000+ zen spent gets 1000 bonus zen, 5000-9999 gets 500, and 1000 zen to 4999 gets 100. Just throwing out hypothetical numbers. I'll now sit back and take a ton of flames for trying to come up with a creative solution instead of just complaining.

D
  • Options
    kadirrakadirra Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I personally think it would be a nice goodwill gesture for the Perfect World folks to give back a little to those who have made such an investment during the beta. I personally did not buy anything major in the zen store because I thought the prices were overly steep for many items (companions especially, being 1-character only), but others did. They supported Perfect World and tested these mounts and used these respec tokens, bought the gear and reported any clipping issues, and so forth....so if Perfect World was really generous, they would at least reimburse a little zen as a token of thanks for that.

I am glad they did listen to player requests for lowering of prices. If they made companions account-wide/non-transferrable I would probably be buying the whole lot of them, but they didn't so I'll hold off. But with the discount? I may buy that account-wide worg or howler. Just might. So it's a good thing for the price reduction (if not for my purse).

So, are people entitled to reimbursement? No. Buyer beware and all that.

Would it be a nice goodwill gesture to reimburse a bit of zen to those who invested early? Would it make people more satisfied with their previous purchases prior to release? I do think the answer to those would be yes.

Thanks.
  • Options
    huskarrrhuskarrr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    give those poor fellas a "discountday survivor" title. Done
  • Options
    deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I'm unsure why people are being so offensive on the opposing side of this. It costs them literally nothing to reimburse Zen to people that have spent it. It doesn't affect you in any way, so why the big fuss? People have spent hundreds of dollars so you can play a free game, but if they keep doing **** like this, the people that actually spend money, won't stick around.

/shrug
  • Options
    tyronic1tyronic1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Did anyone else get confused over the date issue? The discounts start Friday, June 13 but today is Thursday, June 13. On top of that if you look at in game calendar it is set as Thursday, May 12 for today. So when is the sell going into effect because I held off and want my cheap stuff. :) Not that I am planning on buying Zen or anything from the market as it is anyways. It is your money don't spend it and then cry about spending it because someone else got a better deal. This is like you going and buying a bunch of stuff and the next day they tell you there is going to be a sale. Ooops I just bought all that stuff give me money back. Don't think that will happen so why should everyone who bought before the sell get a refund because all of a sudden there is a sale.
  • Options
    warkupozwarkupoz Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2013
    In the future don't buy things you don't think are worth the price. I haven't bought anything because the price was too high and the product wasn't worth it. I'm sorry that you're loose with your money, but that's not really the game developers fault. You aren't a better person because you bought something and nobody owes you anything.

lrn 2 money.
  • Options
    khynneakhynnea Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have not made any purchases of mounts *OR* companions (save for the adventurer's helper's pack to get the "good" cleric) during beta, and the pricing scheme has been the reason. I have eyed the items every day, and considered buying something but because of one or two other achievement related "issues" with the game (important to me as a player) I have held off investing as heavily as I would. Reason being? These have been commented on the forums in beta, and not addressed or acknowledged. This speaks to my own player longevity.

As for companions, the simple fact that they are not as with the mounts, account-wide for such a hefty investment, this has held me off as much as the pricing scheme. The mounts not having a stable mechanism where I can store my mounts (as I can my companions, even purchasing more storage space to buy more mounts so that I need not store them in the bank) and I can change and ENJOY owning multiple mounts during the course of play, this has also kept me from purchasing mounts.

But again, it has been the pricing. In all likelihood, I will in fact buy a few mounts during the sale because of the new pricing scheme. I may not get to use them or enjoy them until some stable mechanism or on-character storage mechanism is introduced, not to the degree I would like to really "collect" mounts. And after all, isn't that what you as a seller would like me as a consumer to do? Collect the mounts and companions? Achievements for owning mounts and companions, or even garb, and handy in-game ways to show off / wear / use these items? Perhaps down the road in future releases. These factors as well as pricing scheme (perhaps moreso) play into my purchase decision.

As for buy-in-beta, take it in the rear when the price drops at launch? I have invested a great deal of money in the game in the mere week I have played. I can only imagine those who have played for the weeks/month(s) that the game has been open in beta. Sure there is caveat emptor, yes there was probably fine print on the beta Terms and Conditions etc. As is, etc. Yes, we always make a decision and have to live with it when time of purchase comes along. For those of you hollering 'entitlement,' that word isn't entirely appropriate to a good deal of the feedback here. Many people are simply saying what *other* companies do for their customers. Giving their feedback, as *asked*. Telling the company what would make them feel better as staunch supporters and contributors during beta. Some people may have a sense of entitlement, some businesses do offer price guarantees--none was given here.

The point is, feedback was asked for, feedback has been given. Another very important point to consider is word of mouth and the value of customer loyalty. A loyal existing customer is worth more in marketing dollars and spending than a 'nonexistent' customer to be attained.

The sale period where we can get more zen for our money is a "nice" thing, it presumes we want to spend still more money. For some of us who held back due to high prices that's great. For those of us who have been spending anyways with high prices, a "chance" to win a unique companion during the pre-launch event may not be seen as enough. It's just something entirely valid for them to consider when weighing customer loyalty against their bottom line.

I myself have walked away from several long term relationships with other MMOs when the final arbitrary straw was placed on the camel's back, and there are plenty of competitors out there waiting to gobble up other customers. No threats, just observations. Going into launch with your most ardent supporters angry isn't a good thing.
  • Options
    mattfyremattfyre Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I just spent $50 yesterday, and they announce this today. Had I known I would have waited... I do think some reimbursement is in order, but I don't think it should be a refund of the difference, but perhaps a "Thanks for your early donations" gift box with some in game items would be nice, I do feel pretty shafted having spent the money yesterday and then finding out today...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    tyronic1 wrote: »
    This is like you going and buying a bunch of stuff and the next day they tell you there is going to be a sale. Ooops I just bought all that stuff give me money back. Don't think that will happen so why should everyone who bought before the sell get a refund because all of a sudden there is a sale.

That certainly happens. Most decent chains will reimburse you if you buy something that they then put on sale within a certain time period, no kidding.
    warkupoz wrote: »
    In the future don't buy things you don't think are worth the price. I haven't bought anything because the price was too high and the product wasn't worth it. I'm sorry that you're loose with your money, but that's not really the game developers fault. You aren't a better person because you bought something and nobody owes you anything.

lrn 2 money.

The amount of money I've spent isn't an issue at all (I can afford it, or I wouldn't be spending it). It's more the idea of them saying.... "thanks for spending your money on our make-believe currency, now we're going to re-write what it's worth per item, tough **** to you." I guess that's where I have a problem.