test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Race changes and why they're needed

1111213141517»

Comments

• cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    so... you're essentially saying that unless race changes are implemented, the game is broken for you?

considering that STO doesn't have it and DDO doesn't have it... i think it's a fair bet to say that neverwinter won't have it.

i would also suggest to anyone that is against race changes in a dungeons & dragons labeled game to contact wizards of the coast and let them know that you are against this suggested change.

No that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that I am not going to make new ones, or gear those ones out any further. I still love this game and will continue to play, however if they implement race changes I will spend a far greater amount of money on the game than I otherwise would.

I have talked to lots of people that share the same opinion also.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    considering that STO doesn't have it and DDO doesn't have it... i think it's a fair bet to say that neverwinter won't have it.

DDO eliminated True Resurrection? That allowed for race changes.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• matthewjamesmatthewjames Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    49 pages.. thats a discussion..

ill chime in and express my opinion.. im all for race changes.. the game grows over time and develops new races.. races that were not available at earlier stages of the game.. so it is fair to punish players who have been there from the start and force them to remake a character they spent many hours on because they decide to introduce a new race later in the game? not only do i think race changes should be implemented in the game.. i feel all characters should get a FREE race change based on the fact new races have been introduced and stat re-roll since the games tooltips describing the class stats as primary/secondary honestly being very inaccurate in many cases.. you dont really grasp the reality of this until end game.. races dont necessarily play a major role in the outcome of a character but that combined with the starting stats can leave a great player feeling average.. i know some will say, "if you are a good player stats shouldnt matter much".. but when you are playing against other great players those simple mistakes once made in the stats can be all the difference..

so from the little bit i read at the beginning of the discussion their main reason for not allowing this was because of roleplayers and lore fanatics? they gonna actually prevent an awesome idea to not hurt the feelings of a couple hundred players? THOUSANDS would love to see race changes and starting stat re-roll.. i leveled my tr to 20 3x and deleted the character each time before i decided how i wanted to make it and that still didnt prepare me for what i learned come level 60.. what we know now could all change again once more paragon trees are added.. oh well.. /rant
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Could probably avoid all roleplayer angst by saying

"Note: all race change effects will temporarily revert while characters are in the moonstone mask"....
  • cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    Could probably avoid all roleplayer angst by saying

"Note: all race change effects will temporarily revert while characters are in the moonstone mask"....

Lol!

One other thing I forgot to cover - There are multiple bound items that are now unnatainable that are on my current characters.

Seal of executioner, bloodlust cord, caturday cape, etc. that no matter how much I spent on my new character I could never get.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    Lol!

One other thing I forgot to cover - There are multiple bound items that are now unnatainable that are on my current characters.

Seal of executioner, bloodlust cord, caturday cape, etc. that no matter how much I spent on my new character I could never get.

sure. i had a character that was active during the caturday thing... had a title and had the caturday cape. it was a TR that i was leveling... and at the time, the game was suffocatingly filled with TRs. so at around level 30, i deleted that character. all those things gone forever.

am i upset that i lost that stuff? nope. it's just stuff. race changes that do not follow d&d rules, on the other hand, is a terrible idea. <repeat ad nauseam>
    edited October 2013
    sure. i had a character that was active during the caturday thing... had a title and had the caturday cape. it was a TR that i was leveling... and at the time, the game was suffocatingly filled with TRs. so at around level 30, i deleted that character. all those things gone forever.

am i upset that i lost that stuff? nope. it's just stuff. race changes that do not follow d&d rules, on the other hand, is a terrible idea. <repeat ad nauseam>

Yes caturday cape is just stuff. Have you seen the AH lately? Original seals of executioner are going for like 10 million, and I have 2 bound ones from when you could buy them with seals.

Bloodlust cord on my GWF is also around 300k, and currently there are none available. Those are just the unattainable items, not even going to mention full skulkers including daggers that would take weeks of GG farming.

Also the fact that each of those characters has 20 leadership and I simply don't want to delete them because they generate almost 20k AD a day from leadership/invoke/daily

Oh and I have reinforced gauntlets on my CW, so I have to get tailoring to 20 as well...

Lol even talking about it is annoying. So yes if they implement this change I will spend money on those characters again, and if they don't, I won't. This is not some kind of threat or bribe, I'm just telling the truth b/c I honestly want to gear those characters and enjoy them again.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    Yes caturday cape is just stuff. Have you seen the AH lately? Original seals of executioner are going for like 10 million, and I have 2 bound ones from when you could buy them with seals.

Bloodlust cord on my GWF is also around 300k, and currently there are none available. Those are just the unattainable items, not even going to mention full skulkers including daggers that would take weeks of GG farming.

Also the fact that each of those characters has 20 leadership and I simply don't want to delete them because they generate almost 20k AD a day from leadership/invoke/daily

Oh and I have reinforced gauntlets on my CW, so I have to get tailoring to 20 as well...

Lol even talking about it is annoying. So yes if they implement this change I will spend money on those characters again, and if they don't, I won't. This is not some kind of threat or bribe, I'm just telling the truth b/c I honestly want to gear those characters and enjoy them again.

so you ARE saying that these characters, as is, are not enjoyable because of initial choices you made not taking into consideration the racial bonuses.

so if they eliminated those bonuses and made race choices purely cosmetic then you could enjoy your characters again. correct?
    edited October 2013
    so you ARE saying that these characters, as is, are not enjoyable because of initial choices you made not taking into consideration the racial bonuses.

so if they eliminated those bonuses and made race choices purely cosmetic then you could enjoy your characters again. correct?

Yes if they eliminated racial bonuses (and therefore I would have to be allowed to re-roll initial stats) then my characters would not be any stronger by re rolling them. But they are almost certainly not going to make race choices effect nothing except cosmetics.

My only issue is that I see those specific characters as too much weaker than they could be as another race to warrant putting expensive items on them, while at the same time too much effort put into that character/class to validate simply deleting that guy for a new one.

There are cases when I have no problem re-rolling, I made a 2nd TR and CW. TR is an Int build (completely different playstyle) and the CW is a high HP build (Dwarf) while my original CW I use for PvE only. But when I have a GWF that I only enjoy playing in PvP, is specced and geared as sentinel, but lacks a ton of great stats that he could otherwise have as a different race I just can't see myself putting that much time into rolling an entirely new one and reacquiring everything when I only have 1 role in mind for GWF.
  • talsinaartalsinaar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ok I would like to state I am an avid MMO player. I would like to have a race change and would be willing to pay for it once due to the fact when I played, which was open beta my choices (for min maxing a CW were tiefling or human) I chose elf not because of stats but because my character was elf in my P&P game. the choices for stat abilities rolled were not best but manageable, but after closed beta and first game content they added the Drow, like promised, and the sun elf (much better then a wood elf for wizard RP) and the moon elf if you bought the fey pack for $50 or so dollars. I would've rather when I created my mage in beta had a sun elf as a starting elf race (wood elf would've been better to bring out with the feywild since its all woodsy in nature) so in a way of bring out races it was a poor initial choice on PW IMO. all in all I think races changes wont or shouldn't affect a lot of gameplay and if people are worried one race change per character and with in the first 90days the person has a chance to change it once (mainly the try and buy option, which I don't think will be needed) and I say a once per character so people don't do the whole pay for the flavor of the month when patches affect both racial and or classes so much being one race may or may not hinder and make a class greater for that month or new content. and it will also not confuse a lot of people. I also am for a race change cause deletion is not a fun thing when you make it say to lvl 36 CW and then they add the drow, sun elf and moon elf which would've made much better choices for a CW elf wise (not drow, drow are good rogue and Devoted cleric choices ) the other thing with being at lvl 36 and since it took over 90 days to be closed beta and whatnot, they had events and all the AD and things are not so very transferable between toons, and or special items one gains from the many website promotions which cant be gotten anymore. so a race change for that alone should be good enough reason. if I delete my now 60 CW I lose any items from the call to arms, helmite events and the invasion event blue skeletal dog.
    ok I am @nexusguardian on perfectworld for those who wish to comment or leave me a message.
This discussion has been closed.