What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Race changes and why they're needed

Comments

• Options
    loomyzaloomyza Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think you're on the right track ! If it spoils your immersion, delete your friends list and just don't buy it yourself ? *shrug* I really dislike that all my initial ability points roll was all wrong, and i was so excited to get ingame i only noticed much later that I could actually "reroll" and more specically the mouse over info on each stat doesn't give you as much info on what skills it affects as it actually does once your in the game.
  • Options
    jadetorajadetora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    It's hilarious because there are literally so many reasons why you would or could change races in roleplay even in terms of a D&D Tabletop P&P Campaign. Saying that this would break immersion, you appear to have no understanding of D&D to begin with.

Reincarnation much? Elan transformation? Dragonborn of Bahamut? Race Rebuild Quest? (Players Handbook II)

This -needs- to be in-game.

Especially when they just released another sh#$ty mask, that guess what? DOESN'T WORK FOR TIEFLINGS.

Aughh!
  • Options
    rondacherondache Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    gunbahaha wrote: »
    I think Perfect World are more concerned with building the perfect Dungeons and Dragon MMO than their profits.
    I have to ask. Which game exactly is it you are talking about here? because it sure as hell isn't this one.
  • Options
    jwiechersjwiechers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jadetora wrote: »
    It's hilarious because there are literally so many reasons why you would or could change races in roleplay even in terms of a D&D Tabletop P&P Campaign. Saying that this would break immersion, you appear to have no understanding of D&D to begin with.

Reincarnation much? Elan transformation? Dragonborn of Bahamut? Race Rebuild Quest? (Players Handbook II)

Especially when they just released another sh#$ty mask, that guess what? DOESN'T WORK FOR TIEFLINGS.

Aughh!

I can basically only quote this for emphasis (and to subscribe to the thread ;)).
    Race changes have been a common thing, even in P&P D&D and there really isn't anything that could count against it in an MMO like this.
    If something breaks immersion, it is be dying without having to reroll/reincarnate in the first place... :P
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Cryptic please give me the ability to reroll my character's initial dice roll ability scores. I don't care if it is Zen, AD, Gold, etc.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    johnfelljohnfell Banned Users Posts: 408 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Any news from cryptics yet on this? Alot of people want it, some dont play until it's implemented even... 31 pages from us, you could expect a single line back from them, pertaining to this, with a date preferably.
  • Options
    thelastdarknessthelastdarkness Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ummm this is stupid.

You have extra character slots and your gear does unbind/can be traded or mailed to a new character. Also most of the racial stats dont matter except in early game. Its the initial stat rolls that can really bite you in the rear. I really wish when you moused over them it told you what they did instead of having to make a character and log in to check your character pane.

Dont get tricked either some of the race/class combos look really good but are ultimatly weaker at endgame.
  • Options
    jadetorajadetora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    johnfell wrote: »
    Any news from cryptics yet on this? Alot of people want it, some dont play until it's implemented even... 31 pages from us, you could expect a single line back from them, pertaining to this, with a date preferably.

You'd think they would have gotten the message by now and started working on immediately implementing this either before or with the Fury of the Feywilds. There's so much money to be made from this.
    Ummm this is stupid.

You have extra character slots and your gear does unbind/can be traded or mailed to a new character. Also most of the racial stats dont matter except in early game. Its the initial stat rolls that can really bite you in the rear. I really wish when you moused over them it told you what they did instead of having to make a character and log in to check your character pane.

Dont get tricked either some of the race/class combos look really good but are ultimatly weaker at endgame.

Uh? What game are you playing? There's no way to unbind gear from your character unless we've missed something pretty big. Starting over a new chara is a pain in the a@# anyway. Some of us don't want to spend all that tons of time leveling -everything- up again.
  • Options
    temjiutemjiu Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    HOnestly...I think that simply adjusting the stats and their benefits for individual classes is allot easier then adding this option. just move some of the recharge rate to wis instead of cha, and move the crit bonus to cha. whatever works. shuffle things a bit. all classes could use a bit of attention in this department...when a melee DPS class stacks CON, and a healing class stacks STR...you know somethings off. I appreciate their attempt to make multiple stats viable, but when the primary stats for a class isn't the most wanted...don't think I need to say any more. but we don't need a race change...we just need our primary stats to be...well, primary :D
  • Options
    dmitrisicariidmitrisicarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    temjiu wrote: »
    HOnestly...I think that simply adjusting the stats and their benefits for individual classes is allot easier then adding this option. just move some of the recharge rate to wis instead of cha, and move the crit bonus to cha. whatever works. shuffle things a bit. all classes could use a bit of attention in this department...when a melee DPS class stacks CON, and a healing class stacks STR...you know somethings off. I appreciate their attempt to make multiple stats viable, but when the primary stats for a class isn't the most wanted...don't think I need to say any more. but we don't need a race change...we just need our primary stats to be...well, primary :D

That change, without adding in the ability to reroll your initial Ability Score roll, screws over the people who have already made new characters to fix their initial roles.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    temjiu wrote: »

Without the ability to change races it also screws some of us who are very unhappy with certain aspects of our respective races. Especially as we've mentioned with the issue of a great many things being pointedly bugged and clipping horribly on Tieflings such as masks and many fashion items which you either have to deal with terrible clipping with or just not use.

That's just not fair. Especially considering one of those masks came in a $60 pack we purchased before the game was even open that was specifically advertised as a perk of that pack. You buy a perk but can't use it because it doesn't work with your race? That's bulls@#t.

Not only that, but other reasons motivate us to wanting to change races. In the end a change-race option is probably the easiest choice because it would offer a 'full-package' to people. That's far more universally accommodating for everyone than just 'adjusting stats'.
  • Options
    nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I am still surprised this issued is still discussed here.
    Cryptic should've put that service in Zstore long time ago.
    I thought they wanted moneyz.
  • Options
    shrewguyshrewguy Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'd actually not be against this... purely because it will let me turn my wood elf into a moon elf when feywild comes out.. she was supposed to be a moon elf anyway.

I don't see why roll players would care too much either. I mean, people who are roll playing a character aren't going to be using the race change thing anyway, because it would undermine the character they created. And its not going to break any real immersion seeing some guy having changed race or base stats, especially not when there's already hundreds of people running around with names like 'SuperHer0Aesomesauce'.

More options are always a good thing. Whether your a roll player or not, I can't see any valid reason to be against this idea.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    shrewguy wrote: »
    I'd actually not be against this... purely because it will let me turn my wood elf into a moon elf when feywild comes out.. she was supposed to be a moon elf anyway.

I don't see why roll players would care too much either. I mean, people who are roll playing a character aren't going to be using the race change thing anyway, because it would undermine the character they created. And its not going to break any real immersion seeing some guy having changed race or base stats, especially not when there's already hundreds of people running around with names like 'SuperHer0Aesomesauce'.

More options are always a good thing. Whether your a roll player or not, I can't see any valid reason to be against this idea.

Roleplay. Not 'rollplay,' unless you're rolling around in roleplay and then you're roleplaying rollplay.

And to quote our earlier post on this subject;
    jadetora wrote: »

Aughh!

There are plenty of reasons why this could and would be used by roleplayers and for roleplay.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Also just going to point out again that actually at least one of their games we know of (Champions Online) has what more or less equates to a 'full race change,' in that you can completely change your archetype and rebuild your character at level 40 from the ground up. Soo, yeah. Really no reason why this wouldn't be implemented into Neverwinter.
  • Options
    syllvvsyllvv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    nikitaoz wrote: »
    I am still surprised this issued is still discussed here.
    Cryptic should've put that service in Zstore long time ago.
    I thought they wanted moneyz.

My thoughts exactly, but it might be on hold now since they got new money packs out.
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I wish that Cryptic/PWE would add the ability to re-roll your character's initial ability dice rolls! I don't care if it is Zen, AD, Gold, etc.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    syllvv wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly, but it might be on hold now since they got new money packs out.

With new races being introduced, now seems like the perfect time to release such a function. How many people do you think would pay for such a function to either become a different race or one of the new introduced races?

A lot probably.
  • Options
    kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Will be subj in any of other content patches? New races are coming and be able to change current will be usefull.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »
    I wish that Cryptic/PWE would add the ability to re-roll your character's initial ability dice rolls! I don't care if it is Zen, AD, Gold, etc.

Well a race-change all together would definitely give you that and more.
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    30+ pages. Hopefully this is getting taken more srs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kobrakai2kobrakai2 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I would be willing to pay money to change my race. I rolled an elf wizard not thinking it made any difference, now I feel stupid :(
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kobrakai2 wrote: »
    I would be willing to pay money to change my race. I rolled an elf wizard not thinking it made any difference, now I feel stupid :(

Elf is pretty decent for a Wizard. Admittedly, Human or Tiefling are better but not by that much (3-4% or so extra DPS maybe.)
  • Options
    darkbladessdarkbladess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 57
    edited July 2013
    Totally agree we should be able to change anything that relates to our characters except Class.I know in wow you can change race,server,allegiance from horde or alliance.

We spend so much time building these characters a few mistakes down the road should not be permanent,for the right amount of Zen,astral diamonds,gold or whatever you should be able to make your toon exactly the way you want them.
  • Options
    nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    My god. 33 pages. I hope devs add this function to Zstore instead of moar uselezz mountz.
    Of course, 33 pages is nothing compared to three forum thread 120 pages each in SWTOR regarding dual spec
  • Options
    nyxandrianyxandria Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2013
    Don't get why they won't let us pay for race change. They are already selling best items for money but race is problematic because of lore? As if they care about lore. Just allow change already.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Will be subj in any of other content patches? New races are coming and be able to change current will be usefull.

33 pages of discussion regarding this. Purist RPers are a small, yet loud, band of doom criers that are against it, without any real arguments, while -alot- of people want the feature. As far as I know the Devs have only said that they're aware of the fact that people want it, but have made no promises or given any real info, as usual.
    Personally I doubt it since the devs make more money from people creating new chars for new races, and thus having to spend alot more for character bound stuff, than what they would make from people buying Race Changes.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    nyxandria wrote: »
    Don't get why they won't let us pay for race change. They are already selling best items for money but race is problematic because of lore? As if they care about lore. Just allow change already.

It's not problematic because of lore; DnD rulesets and lore support the option of changing race, via several means discussed over and over in this thread; it all boils down to how much more money the Devs would make from having the feature, or not (forcing people to make new chars and buy more character bound stuff).
  • Options
    torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't think race change would be something I think should be implemented, although you could easily rationalize it with polymorph or other magic.

I do think players should get full stat resets when they purchase a respec token including character stats. Sometimes balance change come or the game evolves and older character builds are invalidated or trashed. Players shouldn't have their characters ruined because of that or even plain bad choices. People learn and improve. Reward, don't punish that. And for this game where money spent is heavily character focused it is only fair business.
  • Options
    soulwhispsoulwhisp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Okay, then let the race change be like 2k zen. I dont care, just do it! I need it for my TR, i dont want to start a 6th char just because of the race!
This discussion has been closed.