Race changes and why they're needed

Comments

• Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    2000 ZEN sounds about right
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    danfixdanfix Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    We are many interested users have this feature available.
    Hopefully Cryptic, do not assume an uncompromising stand.
    Zen Payment would be correct.
  • Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I once had a D&D gm turn my dwarf into a pixie, there are many occations ive played in proper d&d tourniments where some magic has changed gender race hight weight you name it. not to mention how many times has any of us d&d plays got to a cetian level and just gone hey ca I just change my race, and the gm goes sure.

of course very rarly in my D&D experience has there been a time when the gm has read me the following:
    As you walk twards the towering gates to the city you see
    5 panthers, 6 blond clerics 4 warriors and 7 drow wizards standing waiting for their friends to return.
    or as you enter the bar your halfling rogue teleports to the bar.

yes this game is only vaguely like d&d but why fight against people being able to customize their character after the fact this has been a staple of awesome GMs since d&d started. even the I shoot the darkness skit had the guy change his eye color. they can always hang the proverbial lampshade on it and make you visit the "gm" and beg for a change at which point he grabs your sheet and lets you reselect things.

If people are willing to pay for it and they can make up their own rp for it I do not see the harm. not to mention it would be awesome that pwe will be able to for once charge for something and instead of people calling them that greedy company they will say...they should charge more for that.
  • Options
    johnfelljohnfell Banned Users Posts: 408 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    If they even force us to pay IRL Cash to be able to play RACES in a D&D game, cand races added slowly at that (not even going into classes atm) then this fact coupled with Character Slots costing cash as well as alot being character bound, a Race Change feature become even more reasonable, with reasons added to the countless already posted here.
  • Options
    jadetorajadetora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I once had a D&D gm turn my dwarf into a pixie, there are many occations ive played in proper d&d tourniments where some magic has changed gender race hight weight you name it. not to mention how many times has any of us d&d plays got to a cetian level and just gone hey ca I just change my race, and the gm goes sure.

of course very rarly in my D&D experience has there been a time when the gm has read me the following:
    As you walk twards the towering gates to the city you see
    5 panthers, 6 blond clerics 4 warriors and 7 drow wizards standing waiting for their friends to return.
    or as you enter the bar your halfling rogue teleports to the bar.

yes this game is only vaguely like d&d but why fight against people being able to customize their character after the fact this has been a staple of awesome GMs since d&d started. even the I shoot the darkness skit had the guy change his eye color. they can always hang the proverbial lampshade on it and make you visit the "gm" and beg for a change at which point he grabs your sheet and lets you reselect things.

If people are willing to pay for it and they can make up their own rp for it I do not see the harm. not to mention it would be awesome that pwe will be able to for once charge for something and instead of people calling them that greedy company they will say...they should charge more for that.

As we said before;
    Originally Posted by jadetora View Post
    It's hilarious because there are literally so many reasons why you would or could change races in roleplay even in terms of a D&D Tabletop P&P Campaign. Saying that this would break immersion, you appear to have no understanding of D&D to begin with.

Reincarnation much? Elan transformation? Dragonborn of Bahamut? Race Rebuild Quest? (Players Handbook II)

This -needs- to be in-game.

Especially when they just released another sh#$ty mask, that guess what? DOESN'T WORK FOR TIEFLINGS.

Aughh!
  • Options
    jadetorajadetora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Also tried to ask about this on their "Raptr Q&A with Zeke Sparkes, Rob Overmeyer, and Sominator!", they pointedly ignored our question.
  • Options
    swidenbankswidenbank Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    gunbahaha wrote: »
    I don't like how you off handedly roleplayers with this offensive quote. Allowing people to race change would ruin my immersion and most likely kill the game entirely.

Bringing up money is also confusing - I think Perfect World are more concerned with building the perfect Dungeons and Dragon MMO than their profits.

Your comment about them caring more about a perfect D&D game over profits is well absolute rubbish at every stage since this game went in to open beta they have proved time and time again that profit comes first. If they cared more about the game than profits god they would pretty much have to scrap 70% or more of the game and start again. IF you were being sarcastic then I'm sorry
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    swidenbank wrote: »
    Your comment about them caring more about a perfect D&D game over profits is well absolute rubbish at every stage since this game went in to open beta they have proved time and time again that profit comes first. If they cared more about the game than profits god they would pretty much have to scrap 70% or more of the game and start again. IF you were being sarcastic then I'm sorry

Either way, it doesn't matter. And if they're worried about profits, all the better. Because that's more of a reason to release a race-change function ASAP - Like with the Fury of the Feywilds on Day 1 of its release.

That would rake in a ton of cash for them.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    34 pages in, no response either way. At least a no hasn't been given. We can only hope that when Fury of the Feywilds releases the developers had seen this thread and the requests for this function rise enough that they'll have a surprise implementation of the function.

A girl can dream, at least.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They should have this implemented in 2 ways:

1. A straight-forward race change token purchasable via the Zen store.
    2. An in-game trial of some sort. It'd have an AD "entry fee", (which would only be taken upon successful completion), which would be something akin to a dungeon. When completed, you get to select a new race.

I also agree that an initial stat re-roll would be nice.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    They should have this implemented in 2 ways:

1. A straight-forward race change token purchasable via the Zen store.
    2. An in-game trial of some sort. It'd have an AD "entry fee", (which would only be taken upon successful completion), which would be something akin to a dungeon. When completed, you get to select a new race.

I also agree that an initial stat re-roll would be nice.

Personally we would prefer choice one. Just flat out buy from the Zen store and be done with it. That would be very nice.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Well we overlooked the thread, at least one Dev responded. It wasn't a no, so here's hoping.

Here's the reply;
    sominator wrote: »
    Hey all, thanks for the feedback and discussion on this. Much appreciated!
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jadetora wrote: »
    Well we overlooked the thread, at least one Dev responded. It wasn't a no, so here's hoping.

Here's the reply;

Isn't that the standard comment they make on pretty much every major thread?

But, as you said, at least it wasn't a definite no.....
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Isn't that the standard comment they make on pretty much every major thread?

But, as you said, at least it wasn't a definite no.....

No, and the hope here is that it'll be implemented as a surprise or something with the release of Fury of the Feywilds. It would certainly be a nice way for them to show they are listening to their player Community and build good-faith not to mention as has been said in the past, net them a hefty profit.
  • Options
    sonicbullittsonicbullitt Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Edit: wrong post
  • Options
    spanky2014spanky2014 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 78
    edited August 2013
    I'm sure it has been said before, but I'll add to this.

The reason I want race change (and stat re-roll) is because I'm sick of being the 99%.
    99% of TR are halflings. I want to be "different"! I want to be a dwarf TR. Unlike the OP I don't care a hoot about the "Perfect" character with the perfect stats. As I have come to understand this game a little more, stats are important and not the be all and end all for "end-game-content" for the lack of a better word.

I could just re-roll, but I have spent time and money to re-gear my character up.
    Sure this could generate PWE so much more money and maybe some people will chose this path, but I think for most people just thinking about the ridiculous amount of stuff you need to invest, I'd say 4M AD to re-kit my character in full T2/Ancient/R7 gems. Add mounts/pets and other stuff, then the sky is the limit!! Just thinking of this does not make me want to re-roll and I'm bored and you will lose me. You may lose me after I do the character change anyways but at least you got my $5 and maybe even $20 cause I keep wanting to "change" my race.

+1 (Please implement this as soon as possible) as I'm sure it will help retain people.
  • Options
    truwentruwen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm aware that cryptic has stated that they've been trying to stay away from race changes because of role playing and lore reasons, which i understand completely. Theres only a major problem to that, and that is how ridiculously important it is to choose the correct stats at the start.

When I bought the foundry pack (60 dollar) all I knew about the game was the different classes and that it had gotten good reviews out of closed beta. I needed a new MMO and didn't hesitate buying the pack. When I created my character I carefully read the passives / racials and was happy with my choice, however when I got to the stats rolls I just rolled until my primary stats was capped and moved on. I also tried reading up on what the actual stats did, but there is nowhere ingame that's explained until the character is already made (and I was really eager to start playing anyway...!)

Now, of course wisdom is completely garbage for Clerics compared to literally all the other abilities and I've only realized this after clearing all the dungeons in the game and gotten almost fully geared. It would really suck to level up a new Cleric just because I'm a sucker for min-maxing and I cannot stand seeing my stats not being optimal because of a choice I did when I knew nothing about the game.

Pros and cons with having race change:

Pros:
    Incredible amounts of money can be made
    Everyone unhappy with their race / initial stats will be extremely happy
    You don't need to level up a new character because of a mistake you made when you were a rookie

Cons:
    Players who strongly care about lore / role playing would not like this.

I really do understand that some people really care about their Lore, but in my honest opinion not having the option to race change / change the initial chosen abilities is NOT a good move for an MMORPG, especially not when it has such a big impact on your character. I would understand it if it was a single player RPG, but it isnt.

Good post, but I disagree about role play. In D&D changing race is a common occurrence when you do something stupid and the only person to resurrect you is a druid! I once came back as a Troglodyte! Just saying...if anything a race change would enhance your role play experience, as well as enhance your characters back story. " Hey werent' you a human last night???" ..." Yeah, but I had to help an [evil character] with his sinister plan to save my family. I died, and was brought back by a lovely druid. Now I'm a Gnoll!"
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    truwen wrote: »
    Good post, but I disagree about role play. In D&D changing race is a common occurrence when you do something stupid and the only person to resurrect you is a druid! I once came back as a Troglodyte! Just saying...if anything a race change would enhance your role play experience, as well as enhance your characters back story. " Hey werent' you a human last night???" ..." Yeah, but I had to help an [evil character] with his sinister plan to save my family. I died, and was brought back by a lovely druid. Now I'm a Gnoll!"

Repeating previously;
    Originally Posted by jadetora View Post
    It's hilarious because there are literally so many reasons why you would or could change races in roleplay even in terms of a D&D Tabletop P&P Campaign. Saying that this would break immersion, you appear to have no understanding of D&D to begin with.

Reincarnation much? Elan transformation? Dragonborn of Bahamut? Race Rebuild Quest? (Players Handbook II)

This -needs- to be in-game.

Especially when they just released another sh#$ty mask, that guess what? DOESN'T WORK FOR TIEFLINGS.

Aughh!
  • Options
    trobane007trobane007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Especially with a new race coming out, why not let people change races and continue playing the character they love now that new options are around? Im all for race changes, please allow this. If you don't want to change your race, no one will force you, but lets allow those who do to be happy with their new race!
  • Options
    thorak257thorak257 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't know if its been mentioned already, but sex change service would be nice too. male to female and vice versa.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    thorak257 wrote: »
    I don't know if its been mentioned already, but sex change service would be nice too. male to female and vice versa.

The idea behind the Race Change would probably be that you'd be able to choose your appearance over from scratch again and the respective stats with it sooo if you wanted to do a sex-change, that would probably be included as well.
  • Options
    korgulltekorgullte Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited August 2013
    I would use this feature at least once or more price depending. With new races coming out and having levelled all the classes and a couple of them more than once this becomes more and more attractive.
  • Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I could see at the very least a temporary race/class change availability
    or a sale on them for the first month or so whenever a new race/class are added.
    and in a genre with various gender swapping magic items,
    I can see a gender change as fine

Many people cant play the race or class they want to due to the limitations
    of the current race/class options so people declare played as in their bio,
    people who are declaring "Played as" often using appearance tricks or clever
    power selection for effect can play the class and or race they were supposed
    to be had it come out as the first 5, this does not break immersion since the
    chars were supposed to be this class/race all along,

wood-elves played as drow, Moon elves, Sun elves, Various types of forestry races,
    Halflings or dwarves played as Gnomes, Kobolds, various small races,
    Tieflings Played as dragon-born, Humans/half elves Played as Dava, Changeling, ect

Trickster rogues Played as Bards, assassins, rangers, monks, Psions, anything that uses stealth
    Clerics Played as, Paladins, druids, shaman, fire wizards,
    GFs played as Paladins, Warlords, Knights, Fighter Clerics, Various shield based classes
    GWF played as warlords, Knights, barbarians, any class known for large weapons,
    Wizards, Played as anything even remotely magical or psionic

Stat rolls should probably be a separate purchase so not to cloud the issue,
    the new race specials can be applied on stats they originally rolled up.
    I can also see a religion/origin respect especially if deities and locations are added.
    Id love to see a Gypsy/nomad orgin that instead of Of city it gives you "the wanderer"
    , "of unknown origin" , Of the wilderness or of the wastelands

race specific quests done will probably be just nulled out as undone
    unless the new race/class shares the same quests so changing from
    GF to GWF wouldn't affect class quests. but changing to TR youd have to go
    do all the racial quests again.

Any gear you have dependent on your old race/class will become worthless.
    Basically this is a choice the player is making so any damage to their character it makes is fine.
  • Options
    usernumber999usernumber999 Member Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    this one little thing - the ability to reroll starting stats - the devs couldnt add this one little thing that would mean much to the players, and have zero effect on game -
  • Options
    ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Here is my issue with this, when I started playing I created my CW which is the character I play most. His entire basis is being a Moon Elf, which at the time wasn't even on the horizon and honestly I didn't expect them to ever do. I got him to 60, got him his purples, have a blast with him. Now Moon Elf is here, I bought the feywild knight pack just because of them, I wouldn't mind getting another CW to 60, heck I have 6 level 60 already, but I don't want to have to find a way to get the exact gear again, and I cant just move the gear from one to the other even though they are on the same account (if I could this point would be moot). I want the option to race change so I can make him what he was suppose to be in the beginning. Plus with elf to elf transfer I have a feeling Moon Elf will have the same racial quest line that wood elf (what I ended up making him) so I see NO REASON not to all ow a race change.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Really wish I could race change some chars and change Deity change others.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tedebearnctedebearnc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They need to implement either race changing or companion unbinding and since it was stated by zsparkes in a recent Q&A on raptr that unbinding companions was no longer in the plans, the race change is a must. I'm not going to throw away companions that I can no longer get just because I want my character to be the race that should've been available from the beginning.
  • Options
    kanenankanenan Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    gunbahaha wrote: »
    Bringing up money is also confusing - I think Perfect World are more concerned with building the perfect Dungeons and Dragon MMO than their profits.

Go home, you're drunk!
    - behold, halflings.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    tedebearnc wrote: »
    They need to implement either race changing or companion unbinding and since it was stated by zsparkes in a recent Q&A on raptr that unbinding companions was no longer in the plans, the race change is a must. I'm not going to throw away companions that I can no longer get just because I want my character to be the race that should've been available from the beginning.

They said no unbinding is happening. They decided to cancel the function. Race change up in the air.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    soulwhispsoulwhisp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013

So 2 month passed, what did they discussed?
This discussion has been closed.