Install Arc
Options

Race changes and why they're needed

Comments

• Options
    usernumber999usernumber999 Member Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    soulwhisp wrote: »
    So 2 month passed, what did they discussed?

maximizing zen sales
  • Options
    jadetorajadetora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Two months and 37 pages later, not a word given except for a single Dev post that wasn't a yes or a no. On one hand, we guess we should be thankful it wasn't an outright no. On the other, there's four days until the Fury of the Feywilds releases and they haven't said word one about a race-change function.

Truthfully this would maximize their Zen sales far better if they released this function with the Fury of the Feywilds because more people will want to change right then and there and pay for such a function rather than waiting until we've gone to the trouble of potentially leveling a new character, getting them gear and etc and making them functional thereby negating the entire point of having a race-change function.
  • Options
    tedebearnctedebearnc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    They said no unbinding is happening. They decided to cancel the function. Race change up in the air.

Yes, I said they canceled unbinding.
  • Options
    powerpuffponypowerpuffpony Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I support paying Zen to change my race.

I will not be re-rolling any of my 5 level 60 toons who all have 10k+ gear scores. Therefore for Cryptic/PWE to continue to monetize on them they need to provide a service I still need.. Which is to change the race of a couple (like change my GF from a dwarf to a half-orc.. and my GWF from a half-orc to a dwarf).. Of course you could get a bonus sale as I would also purchase re-name tokens for each race switch as well.

Or you could do nothing and get nothing. The choice is yours, but personally I think getting some money is better than no money.
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    soulwhisp wrote: »
    So 2 month passed, what did they discussed?

@Sominator Exactly. What's going on??? It's time to communicate. #thanksforthefeedback
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    usernumber999usernumber999 Member Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    not only has there been nothing to indicate they will provide this very basic feature, they are also currently debating whether or not to provide a free respec with all the many many changes/nerfs to skills of all classes in the upcoming patch.(see dev tracker for this statement)

The fact that this is even under debate shows how little they care for player base and how much they care about selling more respec tokens. There should be no debate about this. Period.

As for the inclusion of changing initial stat rolls with a respec, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever not to provide this. It would change absolutely nothing in the game if they did. A respec should wipe the slate clean, as it does on ALL other games.
  • Options
    jadetorajadetora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    You're reading it here, Cryptic Devs. Assuming you're reading it at all. People want this function, give us a race change. Your Customer Base is speaking to you here and if you don't listen to us, it'll do nothing but hurt you. If you do listen to us, the only outcome for you can be positive. Are you really going to ignore us?
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    not only has there been nothing to indicate they will provide this very basic feature,

There is nothing "basic" about race changes - in fact, as long as the game pretends to have any relationship to D&D, a race change is a pretty unnatural thing.

Sure some people may want this, but I think the great majority couldn't care less.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    adinosii wrote: »
    There is nothing "basic" about race changes - in fact, as long as the game pretends to have any relationship to D&D, a race change is a pretty unnatural thing.

Sure some people may want this, but I think the great majority couldn't care less.

A lot of people probably won't care but that won't change the fact its money in the bank for all the people wanting to change. Plus your minmaxer dps would probably change to Half-Orc/Tiefling. I think the reason we haven't heard about Ability Score changes yet is because they are deciding on whether to make Ability Scores a sole ZEN purchase option or have a all included Race Change/Ability Score/Origin Change for like 2000 ZEN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Repeating once again why this could happen and would happen even in P&P;
    Originally Posted by jadetora View Post
    It's hilarious because there are literally so many reasons why you would or could change races in roleplay even in terms of a D&D Tabletop P&P Campaign. Saying that this would break immersion, you appear to have no understanding of D&D to begin with.

Reincarnation much? Elan transformation? Dragonborn of Bahamut? Race Rebuild Quest? (Players Handbook II)

This -needs- to be in-game.

Especially when they just released another sh#$ty mask, that guess what? DOESN'T WORK FOR TIEFLINGS.

Aughh!
  • Options
    serpinecohserpinecoh Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jadetora wrote: »
    Repeating once again why this could happen and would happen even in P&P;

In a related note, there is also the issue of the infamous Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity that changed character gender.

I don't think I've ever been in any reasonably long D&D campaign without at least one character getting catastrophically transformed into something else. Not to mention a lot of DMs are pretty lenient with doing a retcon on a person's race when something just isn't working out (usually early in a campaign) or a new supplement comes out. For example, many would allow something like changing to a more appropriate elf subtype when more elf options are added and just saying you had been that elf all along.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Lo and behold, come Fury of the Feywilds and Cryptic ignored its customers again.

/sarcasm

Gee, what a surprise :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Guess this probably isn't happening. Given Cryptic ignored 38 pages of people asking for it and gave no real response. Very disappointing. :|
  • Options
    goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jadetora wrote: »
    Guess this probably isn't happening. Given Cryptic ignored 38 pages of people asking for it and gave no real response. Very disappointing. :|

You'd think since their main motive in money, they would put something like this in the zen store EVERY time they release a new race. Guess since they made so much money off the lockbox exploit, they should be okay moneywise for a few months.;)
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    You'd think since their main motive in money, they would put something like this in the zen store EVERY time they release a new race. Guess since they made so much money off the lockbox exploit, they should be okay moneywise for a few months.;)

Probably, sadly. :|
  • Options
    goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    serpinecoh wrote: »
    In a related note, there is also the issue of the infamous Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity that changed character gender.

I don't think I've ever been in any reasonably long D&D campaign without at least one character getting catastrophically transformed into something else. Not to mention a lot of DMs are pretty lenient with doing a retcon on a person's race when something just isn't working out (usually early in a campaign) or a new supplement comes out. For example, many would allow something like changing to a more appropriate elf subtype when more elf options are added and just saying you had been that elf all along.

That's gotta be some form of punishment because who in their right mind would CHOOSE to turn into a male?;)
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    That's gotta be some form of punishment because who in their right mind would CHOOSE to turn into a male?;)

lol. This^

Also, seriously Cryptic. Get your heads out your a@#es. You've got 38 pages of the same thread and you can't claim ignorance and you weren't aware this thread existed or people wanted this feature, we've personally brought it to the attention of your Community Managers numerous times by posting it in threads and the like.

There's been a single response from a Community Manager here and it only 'thanked' for the feedback.

We need more than just a thank you. Like some sign you're working on this and not completely disregarding your customer base? Because you're not doing well and you don't have a great track-record.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Yaay, 38 pages and absolutely no response from Cryptic who seems to hope this thread and subject will fade into obscurity and die.

Good business practice, guys. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    dunno why but the entire cryptic company is against race changes in their stores they don't have them in their other two titles either.
  • Options
    nylatlthesecondnylatlthesecond Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    So I just have a question. How exactly is Wisdom a useless stat for a Cleric? Asking this because I have a cleric or two and would like to know about this.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Think I'd pay to change where my TR came from, Race change my wood elf to sun elf, deity change my GWF, and deity change my DC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    dunno why but the entire cryptic company is against race changes in their stores they don't have them in their other two titles either.

Actually they have something nearly identical in Champions Online.

You can full-on change the -entire- nature of your character from the ground up. Class, stats, etc.
  • Options
    h4lofanatich4lofanatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8
    edited September 2013
    It baffles me that RP/lore fans would be the excuse a dev could come up with when deciding whether or not to implement race changes. The two aren't even remotely related. Cryptic probably only said that because they were too lazy to put a race change in or they had other things to do. There's nothing even slightly immersion-breaking about allowing people to customize their character, post-creation or otherwise, freely.

There's nothing to even debate. If the people will pay for it, they should do it.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2013
    Developer? Where?

I'm not a developer?
    I'm an RP/Lore/D&D Fan.

I speak for myself and only myself.
    I don't want it. That doesn't mean the developers won't add it.
  • Options
    draugotdraugot Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I keep seeing that there would be money to be made if a race change token was added to the zen store. And then a few posts later some one says they want a race change token because it is to expensive to start from scratch on a new character. So which is it? From my view point I can see some people wanting to change race (which has nothing to do with rerolling your stats) but there would be more that would be willing if it were not available to start a new character all together which would actually have a higher cost potential then a one time race change.
    Personally I could care less if someone wants to change race. I just don't see the potential earning versus cost of a new character being high enough for PWE / Cryptic to bother with it. Though if they did I would hope the race change would penalize the character because of lose of racial quests and the fact that they would need to learn how to use the new racial abilities and such. Maybe a 5 or 10 level drop.
  • Options
    nightgameznightgamez Member Posts: 85
    edited September 2013
    zarkhes,

As I said, that's something to fight to bring into the game. Not something to simply accept. :)

johnfell,

You are saying your own opinion is superior to mine. It's not.
    Your "evidence" is no more or less powerful than mine. You are simply looking from the opposite end of the spectrum and do not consider my "evidence" as meaningful.

And that is what robertthebard was pointing out. :)
    I've seen this topic many times on these forums. This is simply a divided topic in which players who want these types of mechanics always fall back on the same exact arguments you are right now. Yet there are large amounts of players who view things from the opposite spectrum which you may not understand or agree with but are by no means any less valid.

So then wouldn't adding the feature be a win for both sides? Those that wanted to change their race could do so to improve their gameplay and those that do not want to change their race would not have to? Or do you mean you don't want the ability to change your race and on top of that you don't think anyone else should be able to either? Would it not be better to leave that option up to each player?
    This game is designed to make as much money as possible on a day to day basis. It is not designed to be a great long term game.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    So what are you saying you should only be able to choose 1 race? Anyone can change their race at any time be rolling a new character and they can already change their name to the new character so the option is really already there. All that adding a race change feature would do is save players time and how this effects you I cannot seem to figure out.
    This game is designed to make as much money as possible on a day to day basis. It is not designed to be a great long term game.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    there's enough information on the internet to point you in the right direction as far as class/race and builds... even though it's always been said on guides that race has little effect on overall class play-ability... you should pick which race you want and which class you want. i could see having the ability to change your initial stat roll and bonus option. or where you're from and who you pray to.

but outside of that, it's not like leveling up a new toon is hard. if you screw it up... trash it and start over. or use your other character slot. or buy two more for 500z... that's around 170k AD or $5.

ultimately it is up to cryptic to offer this option. i mean, in the realm of D&D you'd have to have a pretty lenient DM to allow you to change race in the middle of a campaign. that is some powerful magic that hardly ever sees the light of day.

carry on.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Oh really and what DM would allow you to make infinite name changes and allow you to change all your powers whenever a dungeon was not going your way? Give me a break. what are we really talking about here? If i have a dwarf an elf and a human and I can change my name on any one of them why does it matter to you weather I made one from scratch or I changed my race then changed the name?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    It baffles me that RP/lore fans would be the excuse a dev could come up with when deciding whether or not to implement race changes. The two aren't even remotely related. Cryptic probably only said that because they were too lazy to put a race change in or they had other things to do. There's nothing even slightly immersion-breaking about allowing people to customize their character, post-creation or otherwise, freely.

There's nothing to even debate. If the people will pay for it, they should do it.

Repeating once again ad nauseam.
    Originally Posted by jadetora View Post
    It's hilarious because there are literally so many reasons why you would or could change races in roleplay even in terms of a D&D Tabletop P&P Campaign. Saying that this would break immersion, you appear to have no understanding of D&D to begin with.

Reincarnation much? Elan transformation? Dragonborn of Bahamut? Race Rebuild Quest? (Players Handbook II)

This -needs- to be in-game.

Especially when they just released another sh#$ty mask, that guess what? DOESN'T WORK FOR TIEFLINGS.

Aughh!

Lore is -not- a reason this shouldn't be implemented into the game. Anyone who says it is or claims it can't be done doesn't know D&D P&P very well and needs to go read their source books a few more times or stop trying to claim they know everything.
This discussion has been closed.