test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Race changes and why they're needed

Comments

• Options
    jadetorajadetora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    edge1986 wrote: »
    It took my 2 days to choose my race for open beta, yes 2 days. And I played since CB 2 where i just f'd around because I knew everything would be wiped. Is it too hard nowadays to use your brain? I played Everquest vanilla as a troll SK, hell levels, exp penalty and if you died, you lost a good amount of exp, possibly a few days worth. I loved it, and didn't whine or complain. I also played on Rallos Zek where it was full pvp and if you died the guy who killed you got all of your gold and he got to choose piece of gear. I loved it. Quit moaning and play. Too many games cater to 12 year olds nowadays, check Diablo 3 for a prime example.

There are many reasons outside of stats including roleplay reasons that a person may want to change race. Furthermore, your insinuation that those of us that wish to change race did not consider our choices when we made our characters, which many of us, ourselves included did does not lend a great deal of credibility to your argument. Never mind the fact that you go the extra distance to insinuate those of us wishing a race-change function are twelve? Really?

What you played in the past isn't really relevant here. The fact of the matter is, many players are requesting this function for whatever reason they have and there's no real concrete reason why it shouldn't be provided. Especially since it would net Cryptic a good bit of money.
  • Options
    aesandilaesandil Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2013
    It'd be useful to have, that's for sure - along with a name change, if Cryptic ever decides to moderate numerous Game of Throne influenced characters (I'm looking at you, Daenerys Targaryens!), or various offensive picks. And it doesn't really affect anyone but the player in question - it's not like any roleplayer worth their salt would/should care what a person they don't even know or play with does with their character. Since every race can pick any class anyway, there isn't even that extra layer of complication to deal with.

But even more so, I'd prefer if the respec option itself actually allowed one to reroll the initial ability scores.
  • Options
    derangedheroderangedhero Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jadetora wrote: »
    There are many reasons outside of stats including roleplay reasons that a person may want to change race.

Aside from a desire to have our characters look how we want them to, which is kind of important in a game that benefits from players being attached to their character, there is also the fact that two new races are being released with the next content module.

Those of us who have well-geared top-level characters might decide that those races fit them better. =)
    ---
    [SIGPIC]Or am I?[/SIGPIC]
    This loony is also known as @Derangement.
  • Options
    eviledickeviledick Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2013
    Pretty sure race change is a given, PW are just waiting for enough people to roll non-human DC, elf GF, etc, and drow goes live so they can get a nice return when they flip the visibility flag on the race change button. The code is probably already there. To all the people saying the race quests would be impossible to convert, really have no idea about data handling, a decent SQL coder could write cross checks and procedural updates in under a week to handle all occasions .

Just waiting for the wails and gnashing of teeth from the "NO TO RACECHANGE" guys when they get kicked from a group for being the wrong race/class combo, because it will happen.
    Bug Powder Dust: Chapter 1, 15 mins of Cleric friendly hack and slash, with a nod to Pratchett and G Naylor:- NW-DKHPBAVBO
  • Options
    theirishchicktheirishchick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I was initially against this idea as choosing race and starting stats is so integral to DnD

However I can see this being implemented simply because WoW offers this service (and yes I know its a different game etc and NW isn't wow) but if its been a successful shop service for WoW then I think it's only a matter of time before it's implemented here. imo.
  • Options
    anzentantouanzentantou Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    gunbahaha wrote: »
    Bringing up money is also confusing - I think Perfect World are more concerned with.....their profits

founders pack that still is selling without founder for $200. nice work pw
  • Options
    jadetorajadetora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I was initially against this idea as choosing race and starting stats is so integral to DnD

However I can see this being implemented simply because WoW offers this service (and yes I know its a different game etc and NW isn't wow) but if its been a successful shop service for WoW then I think it's only a matter of time before it's implemented here. imo.

Well even in D&D Campaigns that are roleplay reasons why your race may change mid campaign. Never mind that, though. This isn't a D&D P&P campaign, this is an MMORPG. There are many reasons why someone may want to change their race after the fact and most of the arguments we've heard against this functionality have been very weak.

Like that one guy said he spent two weeks considering which race to be. Alright, fine. But what about the races that aren't even released yet? Even if we take a hit to base-stats for changing race (because nothing says someone's motivation for changing race is purely statistical) some of us may still want to change to a race that hasn't been released yet and will be soon. We may have darn good reasons for wanting to do that too. Who are you to say we don't?

Some of us also have put considerable time, effort, and money into characters and many of us -aren't- willing to do it again just to play a different race. The best solution to this is a race-change token or potion or something sold in the Zen store, probably.
  • Options
    kgrizzle22kgrizzle22 Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So I'm a new player and and also new to PW. What are the odds of them actually adding this feature? If they do, what is the mimimum ETA of features they typically add due to mass popularity?
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I wished there was a way we could re-roll our character's initial ability dice rolls either through in game, gold, zen, astral diamonds, etc.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And that my friends is the /thread to the topic. Once they figure out how to implement racial changes they will, because PW is not going to turn down a money-making option anymore than Blizzard, SOE, or any of the other companies currently offering the service.

(I'd pay too)

Hardly. "I will pay money" actually means very little without the knowledge of how much money, how many people will pay, and how much it will cost to develop.

Otherwise, I could just say "I will pay money to have the accounts of everyone who wants a race change deleted." And Cryptic should do that, right? After all, I WILL PAY MONEY.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jadetora wrote: »
    Well even in D&D Campaigns that are roleplay reasons why your race may change mid campaign. Never mind that, though. This isn't a D&D P&P campaign, this is an MMORPG. There are many reasons why someone may want to change their race after the fact and most of the arguments we've heard against this functionality have been very weak.

Most of the arguments in favor are even weaker.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    bushy808bushy808 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Being forced to roll dice to min/max your stats while simultanious NOT being told what the stats effect shows <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> poor quality control by the creatores. Someone should have caught that a long time ago. because 90% of the playerbase did.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    bushy808 wrote: »
    Being forced to roll dice to min/max your stats while simultanious NOT being told what the stats effect shows <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> poor quality control by the creatores. Someone should have caught that a long time ago. because 90% of the playerbase did.

That's what I did...started playing the game a couple days ago. Easily my biggest problem with this game. At least let us re-spec our ability point rolls
  • Options
    crazykvexcrazykvex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Clearly this debate is not going to be settled by arguments alone. I propose a poll by Cryptic/PerfectWorld (whoever's responsible) to resolve this question in a democratic way. Sure, the outcome may not be what I wanted, but at least I know that it is what more than half of the community wanted
  • Options
    sogronnwosogronnwo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 96
    edited June 2013
    I'm not sure the community present on the forums can be considered a representative portion of the players.
  • Options
    crazykvexcrazykvex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    that could be solved using by advertising the poll in the Neverwinter launcher
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Or they could just add the function since, y'know.. it won't really do any harm and it'd make them money?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Anyone think this will actually happen? I REALLY don't want to have to reroll the same class and literally play the same exact content for 64 hours or so to get to 60...that isn't enjoyable
  • Options
    theirishchicktheirishchick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Honestly it WILL happen its just a matter of time. Regardless of your feelings either way it will come out as it has proved to be a big sell in cash shops for other games and profit is the bottom line here.

However it will only come out when it is going to be the most financially lucrative for them, possibly much father down the road when (if) they have alarger playerbase and many more classes to choose from, thus possibly making it seem more financially viable.
  • Options
    johnfelljohnfell Banned Users Posts: 408 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Most of the arguments in favor are even weaker.

Feel free to list them, all, and then show how they are weaker by the ones not in favor, wich you then present.
    If not, youre just huffin and puffin here.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    johnfell wrote: »
    Feel free to list them, all, and then show how they are weaker by the ones not in favor, wich you then present.
    If not, youre just huffin and puffin here.

Actually if you check his post history, you will see that huffin and puffin is (almost) all that he does on the forums....
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Actually if you check his post history, you will see that huffin and puffin is (almost) all that he does on the forums....

I know, wich is why Id like to see him try and worm his way out of this one ;)
  • Options
    nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Argument 1: Race Change will bring lots of cash to PWE.
    Argument 2: It is convenient. Players get tired of the same face they look at. 20$ will freshen things up.
    Argument 3: Min-maxers and hardcore players will be swapping to a new favorable race if something changes.
    Argument 4: Groups will no longer be kicking TR just because he is a wood elf and not a half-orc. And you know sometimes that extra one percent is what needed to kill a boss. At least, it was in 25-man in WoW.
    Argument 5: People don't have to delete existing toon and level a new toon just because they are tired of that red face with stupid horns.
    Argument 6: Giving more choices and flexibility to players often results in increase in loyal playerbase because people feel that devs do everything in order to create a nice and comfortable in-game experience. It is a game (an entertainment) not a job and we want to enjoy that experience.
  • Options
    syllvvsyllvv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nikitaoz wrote: »
    Argument 2: It is convenient. Players get tired of the same face they look at. 20$ will freshen things up.
    Argument 3: Min-maxers and hardcore players will be swapping to a new favorable race if something changes.
    Argument 4: Groups will no longer be kicking TR just because he is a wood elf and not a half-orc. And you know sometimes that extra one percent is what needed to kill a boss. At least, it was in 25-man in WoW.
    Argument 5: People don't have to delete existing toon and level a new toon just because they are tired of that red face with stupid horns.
    Argument 6: Giving more choices and flexibility to players often results in increase in loyal playerbase because people feel that devs do everything in order to create a nice and comfortable in-game experience. It is a game (an entertainment) not a job and we want to enjoy that experience.

Well put and my thoughts exactly, this would be an excellent service to have.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Nikita reposted some of the many many good and solid reasons for Race Change feature - and there really are many more, all over this thread's pages. Strangely, there are exceedingly few reasons or solid arguments against Race Change, and those that did exist have all been met and countered or flat out destroyed - apart from "I personally dont like it, but cant argue it in a debate or discussion since it's a feeling." :P
  • Options
    glyph69glyph69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    Race Changing is something I personally would not pay for nor do I support. I would support a payable stat re-roll option because I could see how someone starting could of messed up their stats as they are not explained well but the races were explained and there's no reasoning that could constitute such a change.

If it is that big of a deal, you can always make a new character and work version 2.0 up. It's not like leveling is some grueling bloodsport in this game, just the end game dungeons, hehe.

If anything I'd lobby for a base stat re-roll option and then suggest to the devs to add recharge speed to charisma. I think the control wizards get recharge speed off the higher of int or cha if I recall correctly and I see no reason it couldn't apply to the clerics as well.

Just my thoughts.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    glyph69 wrote: »
    Race Changing is something I personally would not pay for nor do I support. I would support a payable stat re-roll option because I could see how someone starting could of messed up their stats as they are not explained well but the races were explained and there's no reasoning that could constitute such a change.

If it is that big of a deal, you can always make a new character and work version 2.0 up. It's not like leveling is some grueling bloodsport in this game, just the end game dungeons, hehe.

If anything I'd lobby for a base stat re-roll option and then suggest to the devs to add recharge speed to charisma. I think the control wizards get recharge speed off the higher of int or cha if I recall correctly and I see no reason it couldn't apply to the clerics as well.

Just my thoughts.

Thank you for your thoughts, yet you do not present any arguments as to _why_ you're against Race Changes, but you did to explain why youre for "payable stat re-roll". Thats what most do. No real reasons why they dont think Race Change should be in the game, no argument that hold water, just "i dont like it for some reason".
    And it wouldn't even have any real effect on your play; simply dont use it? Let others do, and have fun with it, breathe new life in their game and so on.

And if you scroll back in the thread youll find countless reasons as to why you cant really compare a Race Change to "just re-roll a new char". Thats just not a valid comparison or argument, in a game where everything gets character bound, companions and professions get leveled up, gear gets farmed, Zen store used for char bind stuff, and so on in a long list of reasons.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    nikitaoz wrote: »

Pretty much.

There are also little things like for instance, our character is a Tiefling. We want to change her and one of the many reasons we want to change her race is because on Tieflings, masks are bugged and clip like crazy. As do many things, they just don't work.

We paid $60.00 USD for the Guardian pack and it came with a mask that was SPECIFICALLY advertised in the pack as one of the purchase perks, now we can't wear the mask because it clips insanely and looks like -<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>- on our character -just- because she's a Tiefling. That's not very fair to us.

It's not fair we should have to pay to change race either, but we're willing to because it's a better alternative than just staying as things are.
  • Options
    ancientnecroancientnecro Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2013
    I agree for the most part.

I do have a Cleric with Maxed Wisdom though (most other stats are **** at the moment), and I'm still really, really enjoying him.
  • Options
    fullmetalpopefullmetalpope Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    gunbahaha wrote: »
    I don't like how you off handedly roleplayers with this offensive quote. Allowing people to race change would ruin my immersion and most likely kill the game entirely.

Bringing up money is also confusing - I think Perfect World are more concerned with building the perfect Dungeons and Dragon MMO than their profits.

Are you kidding me?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.