Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter maintenance - 05/01/13

Comments

• Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Update: Network tasks are in progress. We are performing the initial network fixing while the servers are still online, though they should be coming down shortly.

thanks for the heads up
    :)
    21.jpg
  • Options
    fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    grikgid wrote: »
    That was true what you said about SW:TOR, many got fed up with the insensitive maintenance policy and left.
    MMO companies have to realise that they sell to a global market and not appear to be insular and parochial - it can be done.

No matter the time it will be inconvenient to some and that is not why people left SWTOR but nice try. People have been whining about maintenance times for years with every mmo that comes out. Nothing new here at all. S.o.s.
  • Options
    browncoatbobbrowncoatbob Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thbigslime wrote: »
    so like 50 ppl are gona be called shadow? which idiot made that <.<

He meant a 'single account' can have characters of the same name. If they allowed to different accounts to share the same character names that would be a terribly confusing ordeal.

However, even having duplicate names on a single account isn't a good idea IMO. It doesn't make sense, at the very least, from a role playing perspective.
  • Options
    alexeraalexera Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thevlaka wrote: »
    little to no effort went into anticipating server loads even though they had ample time during alpha and closed betas for stress tests.
    This shoddy way of launching a game under the false pretence of 'Open Beta' might work with dodgy Korean mmo's but not here.

Why on earth was PWE considered and chosen to publish this?!

Oh good gracious, this again? Look,you can not stress test a server when there are only a handful of people playing the game, as is the case in a Closed Beta and ESPECIALLY an Alpha, which is usually only friends and family.

I have been playing MMO's for over a decade now, have been around for several major and minor launches of games. Almost every single one of them considered Open Beta to BE the stress test. Hell, on most of them they would have a specific day when they would tell everyone "Hey! Come log on, we want to try our hardest to crash the server!" Just so they could see how much their servers could handle. Again, this was during OPEN BETA's! This IS an Open Beta.

People who are saying its not, because the game is F2P and people paid money for the founder packs, blah blah blah. Does not make it true. There have been other games where I "Pre purchased" the game so the company already had my money and they were still in Beta. Regardless of what people want to call it, or want to believe, the game is still labeled as an Open Beta for a reason.

Yes, it sucks that they are taking the servers down for maintenance, but they are doing it so that we can not have these problems. They are fixing the Q and increasing server capacity. So breathe, do some housework, read a book, watch a movie...and when you come back the servers will be fixed and the Q will be better and we can all do a happy dance.
  • Options
    laere89laere89 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    desaanuk wrote: »
    Why do maintenance that pushes into EU prime time? You expect people to queue for most of the evening after the servers 'maybe' come back up by 8pm GMT?

Good luck with that.

Blizzard does this type of thing all the time. Why does it matter? They have to do it sometime.
  • Options
    cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    antrenos wrote: »
    This is what happens when you decide to run an MMO on a single-shard structure. Most popular MMOs run on multiple servers, dozens of them to accommodate the massive (thus the M, in MMO) amounts of players. Prior to Open Beta, Neverwinter had a grand total of THREE servers available to play on. That is ridiculously low, and there is no surprise that this causes increased lag for everyone who tries to play.

It's gotten so bad, the server lag has managed to spill over into your other MMOs as well (mostly in STO). I would've thought by now, you'd know how to run an MMO without having server issues, but I guess I was wrong.

Apparently you know little about servers... Trust me there is NO WAY they are running this on a single server.

One shard is more like 50-100 servers fyi hard to say exactly because it all depends on the make and models used. I would not be supprised if all 3 shard are in the 200-300 server range.
  • Options
    silverstring36silverstring36 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    but some of us did pay...Some more than others even.
  • Options
    selonwselonw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 258
    edited May 2013
    Nice to have it on an international holiday...
  • Options
    angelofsilverangelofsilver Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The update just started in West Tennessee for me. I can't wait to play the game. Thank you for your hard work to get the game going.
  • Options
    browncoatbobbrowncoatbob Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cihuacoatl wrote: »
    Apparently you know little about servers... Trust me there is NO WAY they are running this on a single server.

One shard is more like 50-100 servers fyi hard to say exactly because it all depends on the make and models used. I would not be supprised if all 3 shard are in the 200-300 server range.

Agreed. Each shard, of course, represents multiple physical servers running concurrently. It's amusing to think that anyone can imagine a large MMO running in a small back room with three servers in it ;)
  • Options
    draanoondraanoon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    laere89 wrote: »
    Blizzard does this type of thing all the time. Why does it matter? They have to do it sometime.

No Blizzard do not have downtimes during prime time. Why? Because they have different server clusters. They do not do the same maintenance at the same day. Tuesday morning for US-server, Wednesday morning for EU-Server.

Result: No downtime for anyone during prime time.
  • Options
    rampor97rampor97 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    anrenos.. each 'server' is a cluster of probably hundreds of actual servers. If you notice in the areas, there are multiple instances of each running. From what I understand, the reason for the HUGE queues was due to network failures. They lowered the number of allowed characters in game, to keep the game playable. If you were you online when the network failure happened, you noticed that the latency jumped up to 1400+ MS, and you couldn't complete anything reliably. Hopefully, after they fix the issues, everything will be back to golden, and queues will be dramatically decreased.
  • Options
    kaskiankaskian Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The update just started in West Tennessee for me. I can't wait to play the game. Thank you for your hard work to get the game going.

We need more of this ^

Nice
    Kie - Renegade Drow - Wizard | Orion - Half Elf - Cleric | Kia - Tiefling - Rogue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kebabpowerkebabpower Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the update, good luck with the maintenance! Thanks for launching!
  • Options
    ak4isuiseiak4isuisei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for jumping on the problem so quickly; keep up the great work!
  • Options
    rmallofrmallof Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thx, awesome game, poor technical infrastructure.
  • Options
    kufluxkuflux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    alexera wrote: »
    Oh good gracious, this again? Look,you can not stress test a server when there are only a handful of people playing the game, as is the case in a Closed Beta and ESPECIALLY an Alpha, which is usually only friends and family.

I have been playing MMO's for over a decade now, have been around for several major and minor launches of games. Almost every single one of them considered Open Beta to BE the stress test. Hell, on most of them they would have a specific day when they would tell everyone "Hey! Come log on, we want to try our hardest to crash the server!" Just so they could see how much their servers could handle. Again, this was during OPEN BETA's! This IS an Open Beta.

People who are saying its not, because the game is F2P and people paid money for the founder packs, blah blah blah. Does not make it true. There have been other games where I "Pre purchased" the game so the company already had my money and they were still in Beta. Regardless of what people want to call it, or want to believe, the game is still labeled as an Open Beta for a reason.

Yes, it sucks that they are taking the servers down for maintenance, but they are doing it so that we can not have these problems. They are fixing the Q and increasing server capacity. So breathe, do some housework, read a book, watch a movie...and when you come back the servers will be fixed and the Q will be better and we can all do a happy dance.

Thank you, my point exactly.
    I think for Open Beta, this game has done beautifully. And I cannot wait to see whats in store for us when it truly launches.

Keep up the good work! You're doing great!
  • Options
    amalyndaamalynda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    thbigslime wrote: »
    so like 50 ppl are gona be called shadow? which idiot made that <.<

It gets worse. I've seen at least 4 different Drizzt Do'Urden, a couple of Bruenor, a Wulfgar, several Artemis Entreri... basically any Forgotten Realms "canon" (aka lore/established) characters are fair game for naming your character.
  • Options
    comedianbrasilcomedianbrasil Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    how long is the open beta going to be up for ?
  • Options
    comedianbrasilcomedianbrasil Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    and dos any one know what the release date for the game is ?
  • Options
    kaskiankaskian Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    how long is the open beta going to be up for ?

Forever, its being released in Beta so they can fix issues as we play. The release date was yesterday.
    Kie - Renegade Drow - Wizard | Orion - Half Elf - Cleric | Kia - Tiefling - Rogue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    alexeraalexera Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, please keep up the good work! The most communicative staff I have seen in a good long while, constantly updating and responding ( especially on their FB page ) to our comments and questions. Quick to get on fixes, as well. Thank you, I love the game and hope to get in some great play time when you guys get everything under control!
  • Options
    silverstring36silverstring36 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    actually every account can call a toon by the same name because every account has a hidden handle after the name. Thus if your toon name was kitten your real name would be kitten@yourhandlename this allows all accounts to have a toon called kitten.
  • Options
    amalyndaamalynda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    He meant a 'single account' can have characters of the same name. If they allowed to different accounts to share the same character names that would be a terribly confusing ordeal.

However, even having duplicate names on a single account isn't a good idea IMO. It doesn't make sense, at the very least, from a role playing perspective.

Incorrect. Different players can have the same name, because Drizzt_DoUrden@browncoatbob is a unique character, as is Drizzt_DoUrden@amalynda (if i were ******y enough to make a character named Drizzt)
  • Options
    themangroththemangroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    draanoon wrote: »
    No Blizzard do not have downtimes during prime time. Why? Because they have different server clusters. They do not do the same maintenance at the same day. Tuesday morning for US-server, Wednesday morning for EU-Server.

Result: No downtime for anyone during prime time.

I played wow for 6 years, there was dozens of times during the launches of major patches, expansions and events that the servers melted down entirely for 12-24 hours. Blizzard usually ended up giving a 1 day credit to all subscribers.

If you've ever played an MMO before and STILL expect to get on and have an enjoyable play experience on launch days, you're just kidding yourself.

Just imagine the pandemonium going on in the cryptic buildings right now. I bet there's people working double shifts, and running around flailing papers wildly and everyone's yelling at everyone else, and mabye electrical fires, and explosions, and someone gets fired or ritually sacrificed every x amount of time that the game is still effed.

Although, mabe my imagination is just more active than it needs to be and everything's all hunkey dorey. >_>
  • Options
    kristofknkristofkn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is a FREE TO PLAY open beta that the entire world can assault. I can't believe the amount of whining and even someone taking time off WORK! I bought the $60 pack and could play for 6 hours yesterday evening.

..and yes this is an open beta until they can tune their network infrastructure to handle the daily load that is going to be on it. Some of you really have no clue.
  • Options
    krymskykrymsky Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    so the people that spent $200 get special treatment, but not the people who spent $60, doesn't seem right to lump everyone together in those terrible long queues, there should be some benefit for any who spent $20,$60, or $200 to invest in this. hope the login and incredible long queue issues are fixed SOON !

really like what i have seen and played so far, hope all is fixed soon and can continue to check out this game, cant wait to get more character slots, and more classes, hope ranger class is available soon, and maybe another mage/wiz/or bard type class too !
  • Options
    b4azb4az Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thanks for good work, although the queue is a problem, but i found it really fun, no lag at all when its in the game, keep up the good work, and gimme that armor nightmare when i open my second box T_T
  • Options
    ezbeeezbee Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    ffs i just got in and i see a message saying the servers are going down in 1 minute, fkin annoying.

hopefully this fixes the problems.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    cihuacoatl wrote: »

Exactly. if they're running on Dell <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, then yes, probably 500+ servers. If they're running on HP Gen8 BladeSystem, probably 100 or so. If they're running on HP DL980's with 16 x 8Core Xeon CPUs and 2TB of ram each, and FusionIO flash storage cards, then they could probably run the whole op on less than 50 boxes.

I really hope they didn't cheap out on the infrastructure hardware....
This discussion has been closed.