test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter maintenance - 05/01/13

cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey all,

We'll be performing maintenance tomorrow morning to resolve some issues discovered today. It is expected to last four hours, but could end sooner or later depending on any issues we discover.

Maintenance will begins on May 1, 2013 at:

PDT: 7 AM
EDT: 10 AM
GMT: 3 PM

We currently anticipate that the servers will be available again at 11 AM PDT.

Patch Notes

Thank you again for being patient while we work to improve your Neverwinter experience. We're working diligently to make sure as many players get in game as possible without waiting long in the queue.

Sincerely,
The Neverwinter Team

Timeline

11:16AM PDT - Servers are up!

10:35AM PDT - Going smoothly! Patch has been deployed and Launcher is working. You can start downloading now to prepare! Maintenance should be over soon as long as no new issues are identified in the next half hour.

10:20AM PDT - Still progressing smoothly. Some people may have trouble loading the launcher right now due to the high load and the maintenance. Stay tuned!

9:00AM PDT - Things are progressing as planned. No change to current ETA.

8:00AM PDT - Please be aware that we are seeing a high volume of traffic on our website and forums. Performance may be sluggish for the time being.

7:30AM PDT - Full maintenance begins. Servers are offline.

7:17AM PDT - Network tasks are in progress. We are performing the initial network fixing while the servers are still online, though they should be coming down shortly.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    nuqaetarnuqaetar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thank you for your hard work!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You guys adding more servers and/or processors? If processors, what specs?
  • Options
    jaarkujaarku Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thx for update :) and game is amazing :)
    Keep up the Good work :)
  • Options
    desaanukdesaanuk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why do maintenance that pushes into EU prime time? You expect people to queue for most of the evening after the servers 'maybe' come back up by 8pm GMT?

Good luck with that.
  • Options
    antrenosantrenos Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is what happens when you decide to run an MMO on a single-shard structure. Most popular MMOs run on multiple servers, dozens of them to accommodate the massive (thus the M, in MMO) amounts of players. Prior to Open Beta, Neverwinter had a grand total of THREE servers available to play on. That is ridiculously low, and there is no surprise that this causes increased lag for everyone who tries to play.

It's gotten so bad, the server lag has managed to spill over into your other MMOs as well (mostly in STO). I would've thought by now, you'd know how to run an MMO without having server issues, but I guess I was wrong.
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thanks for the update Pinpoiterror
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thesirfatantthesirfatant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    cant log on. i have paid to be a member and have been on for the last 3 days. now won't even launch. what have i paid for ?!? =( *angry*
    Hey all,

We'll be performing maintenance tomorrow morning to resolve some issues discovered today. It is expected to last four hours, but could end sooner or later depending on any issues we discover.

Patch notes will be available shortly.

Thank you again for being patient while we work to improve your Neverwinter experience. We're working diligently to make sure as many players get in game as possible without waiting long in the queue.

Sincerely,
    The Neverwinter Team
  • Options
    saschamaroonsaschamaroon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why is a freakin' queue necessary in the first place? Bizarre!!!!!!
  • Options
    metalssmetalss Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the news
  • Options
    capitty3capitty3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the heads up. (: This is what Betas are for!
  • Options
    txhawktxhawk Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    antrenos wrote: »
    This is what happens when you decide to run an MMO on a single-shard structure. Most popular MMOs run on multiple servers, dozens of them to accommodate the massive (thus the M, in MMO) amounts of players. Prior to Open Beta, Neverwinter had a grand total of THREE servers available to play on. That is ridiculously low, and there is no surprise that this causes increased lag for everyone who tries to play.

It's gotten so bad, the server lag has managed to spill over into your other MMOs as well (mostly in STO). I would've thought by now, you'd know how to run an MMO without having server issues, but I guess I was wrong.

The days of a game 'server' being a single computer box are long gone. There are racks of servers driving each shard, and they can be expanded.

Their last post on this mentioned an issue with firewalls. If the problem is network configuration, then further fragmentation could actually make things worse instead of better.

In fact, using three separate shards instead of one could be what is causing some of the issues.
    Waiting for paladins...
  • Options
    seahawkmafiaseahawkmafia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Dont get me wrong i am really enjoying this game. I have been playing since BW3 and have gotten 3 other friends to also start playing and also purchased the $60 Founders pack just like me. So in all we have spent 240 bucks on Neverwinter between the four of us. I expect to be able to play my game when i get home from work when i spend that kind of money. There should be NO REASON for a Queue with this big of a GAMER TITLE! Look at how popular MMOs are these days. For example. DDO, GW2, and WoW just to name 3. Servers should have been big/fast enough to handle millions of players EVERYDAY! I definitely hope to see PerfectWorld give the FOUNDERS PACK purchasers some ZEN or Astral Diamonds or something to say sorry for this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>!! Totally disappointed in the Queue system! I can understand issue with the game itself and needing to be updated/patched or even taken down for several hours to fix other things. The QUEUE thing is what im really upset with. Anyways.... like i said other than this i am loving this game and i really hope that PerfectWorld does something to say sorry for this! Im sure there will be ALOT of people that feel the same.
  • Options
    wargasumwargasum Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ya! need 10 things
  • Options
    delornedelorne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    desaanuk wrote: »
    Why do maintenance that pushes into EU prime time? You expect people to queue for most of the evening after the servers 'maybe' come back up by 8pm GMT?

Good luck with that.

Did you ever think that if it's 7 AM PDT, which is listed they might actually be in that time zone? Which they are (Redwood City, California). Meaning during normal working hours for them. All companies do the downtime when they have the people normally there, not call them in at 2 AM to do maintenance unless the game's totally down.

And no matter what time it's done, it's going to be inconvenient for someone.
  • Options
    flashgotentenflashgotenten Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    can you remove the queue thing :((
  • Options
    psycadelicapsycadelica Member Posts: 38
    edited April 2013
    haha queue posistion 7446 :D thats bit rediculouse, need some more server's, or cause a mass Dc pls :D brilliant game though, shame ppl QQ'in bout these queues, just be happy the launcher is working and eventially will get into game
  • Options
    swarmscswarmsc Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wish I could start a new thread but I just wanted to say something. Might as well post it here until I can make a thread.

Hello! I just stumbled across this open beta or launch or whatever you want to call it and I'm quite excited!

I noticed the long queue time and thought about what my server is up to.

I also noticed there aren't any server-specific forums.

With only 3 servers, there should be server-specific forums!

Any thoughts on this?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    queue posistion now ju,ping from 6000 - 60.000, something needs to be done about the queue, cant be 54k founder holdersall trying to log in the same time... can they?????
  • Options
    gregreidgregreid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am afraid that this will get buried but I am going to try anyway...
    Everyone be calm and give them a chance... The fact that I am 7259th in line right now is ok.. Lasts about 20 minutes. Log in and get a sandwich.. You will get in. I want to say "Thank you" for having the queues.. Otherwise, the game play would be horrible...

Having said that... I want to suggest a small change in the process... If you are in game and trying to change characters, unless I am missing something, you end up at the end of the line. Changing characters should reserve your spot in the game for a period of time. OOOPs.. Down to 5700 in the time it took me to type this.

Game looks fantastic. Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    kargionkargion Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    im confused on why you are not patching now? Game is broke, take it down now.
  • Options
    z1170z1170 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The only thing that is bugging me about this whole issue is the lack of foresight for something like this to happen. With some rather large names in game review showing this game off they could have had a better set up ready. Also to have there "Open Beta" patch break the launcher and cause some to crash is a tad off. Also the constant flux of going from spot 4000 something to 43k is in of its self just a result of a very poor que system
  • Options
    danielcavalheirodanielcavalheiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I remember when Star Wars was in the same spot as this game, there was about 20+ servers and queues as long as we have now, but 6 months later they don't have nor queues or players...

Please! Dont let the game become a facebook game that only wants ur money to advance in game...

I don't mind wait now and I know in 1-3 months it will be normal to have access to the game, so make it worth every penny then!

Thanks for the hard work, at least the cinematics is amazing!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    had long queue's when GW2 first come out, think its the norm with all games, mass amount ppl wanting to test the game out, hopefully wont take 3 months to calm down te long queue's, with the queue bounceing from small numbers to large, gota be some kind of bug, mines likeing the number 622228 atm, goes from actual queue position to 62k and 30 seconds later back to proper position, droping down roughly 100 every 30 seconds
  • Options
    baconnaisebaconnaise Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Glad they put the different times in the first post. It's easy to figure out eastern from Pacific -/+3 but most of the USA and North America for that matter are Eastern and Central Time. I never understood why they didn't just list the varying times with all these games.
  • Options
    maydiezamaydieza Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the update!

Give it a few days guys - This happens with most MMO's. It's all part of the experience. If you haven't spent any money on the game then you can't complain. If you did spend money, think of this as just another stage of development. The only way they can test their servers is by letting us flood into them. It is still beta after all.
  • Options
    z1170z1170 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    See with GW2 and even SWTOR I never had issues with a que, was always able to pop right in. Don't get me wrong, I am quite exited about this game, would love to have a great D&D MMO. I'm just a bit disappointing that another company did not think ahead and underestimated there own popularity with there fans. Sadly the only thing I can compare this to was TSW beta and launch.
  • Options
    ynygmaynygma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hey all,

Patch notes will be available shortly.

Sincerely,
    The Neverwinter Team

Hey what about us CDT players!!! How dare you make us do math to figure it out for ourselves, the shame;)

J/k. Can't wait to get back in to play;)
  • Options
    sertonissertonis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Please get more servers. I know you didn't expect this many people to jump n but they have. Communicate with your community about what you guys are exact;y doing to resolve this so they can be at least happy. This happens on every launch but you will get fans respect if you guys are open with how it is being solved. Cheers.
  • Options
    xilprodigyxilprodigy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I just got off work and was looking forward to playing until i saw a que of 78,000 people...cool
  • Options
    veriluverilu Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hopefully this will relieve some of the queue trouble. (:
This discussion has been closed.