Install Arc
Options

[Guide] Companion info and a bit of a guide

Comments

• Options
    escritoresescritores Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cejblade wrote: »
    Can you have more than one companion running around with you, Im sure I saw a PC with two last night.?

Thanks

Cej
    1] cejblade you can only have 1 companion out at a time but you can easily swap out one for another when it needs training.

This is incorrect, you can have 2 summoned... It's a visual bug happens sometimes when you change skin of the companion... 1 companion will however not do anything but follow you... It is removed on zoning...

Me with 2 Alcolyte of Kelemvor! (As you see they have different skins.)
    Anyone:
    2] Does anyone know where you get the prayer coins from? Where do I pray?

At campfires... Or the 150 HoT prayer things i cannot recall what is called atm... Click Ctrl+i or click the glowing icon at the left of your map...
    3] Is there any way to transfer companions/pets from 1 player to another. Obviously the pet/companion has to be "un-bound"

Yes...
  • Options
    korangar665korangar665 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just a short question guys. I have a cleric char that I decided to make a full healer. So my question is next if I take a cleric companion does he help me with healing ( egz. dungeons, skirmishes... ) or does he just heal me? ( making it quite useless then in my case )
  • Options
    brazennlbrazennl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    Just a short question guys. I have a cleric char that I decided to make a full healer. So my question is next if I take a cleric companion does he help me with healing ( egz. dungeons, skirmishes... ) or does he just heal me? ( making it quite useless then in my case )

She will only heal you. Although not optimal, she won't be useless as you'll soon find out. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    brazennl wrote: »
    She will only heal you. Although not optimal, she won't be useless as you'll soon find out. :)

If he/she's a healing based cleric she will be rather useless for him/her compared to a tank or dps companion as the last 2 areas are where he/she's gonna fall short...
  • Options
    almostcoolalmostcool Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You might want to add the rare purple book imp companion you can get from doing foundry achievements. It supposedly is a striker that focuses on teleporting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
    Short Code: NW-DM900IFHK
    Tired of Being the Hero: NW-DGTOU4N94
  • Options
    canstromcanstrom Member, Silverstars Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Would it be possible to get a suggestion for rune slotting a "pet"/companion to max their effectiveness?
  • Options
    diedel443diedel443 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    escritores wrote: »
    If he/she's a healing based cleric she will be rather useless for him/her compared to a tank or dps companion as the last 2 areas are where he/she's gonna fall short...

The tank companion get pretty useless before 50 though, you will be unable to keep him up against solo bosses around level 40 and at around 50 he will get OHK a lot, unless you buy one of the better ones.

I really wonder why i take so long to get the upgrade books out, i presume they are trying to figure out how badly they want to rip us off for something they say is mandatory in the game.
  • Options
    almostcoolalmostcool Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My dancing jagged blade is terrible. He is adorable, but terrible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
    Short Code: NW-DM900IFHK
    Tired of Being the Hero: NW-DGTOU4N94
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    almostcool wrote: »
    My dancing jagged blade is terrible. He is adorable, but terrible.

Isn't the blade bugged still?
  • Options
    blightedbishopblightedbishop Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    escritores wrote: »
    Isn't the blade bugged still?

I think so, I bought it last night and brought it with me in a dungeon today. It just stood next to me the entire time, never engaging the enemy.
  • Options
    nibenay78nibenay78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi,

As far as I understand, a character gets a bonus when he has a companion. Is this limited to certain companions and if so which ones?
    What bonus can one expect from the more powerful ones?
    And last - if one has high charisma bonus, does this mean the bonus you get back from your companion equally big?
  • Options
    wartimeraiderwartimeraider Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    nibenay78 wrote: »
    Hi,

As far as I understand, a character gets a bonus when he has a companion. Is this limited to certain companions and if so which ones?
    What bonus can one expect from the more powerful ones?
    And last - if one has high charisma bonus, does this mean the bonus you get back from your companion equally big?

players do normally not get a bonus when using a companion.

There are only 3 companions that give you passively more stats (those companions do not attack, do not die, but just give stats) .. which are ioun stones (there are 2 kinds) and cat.
    There isnt really a stronger one of those. The stats gained depends on wether you are using a ioun stone or a cat, one gives recovery and crit.. the other uhmm.. regeneration and power or something? no clue.

Like i said, you normally dont get any stats when you use a normal companion that attacks and can die (only the passive, noncombat companions). There is a runestone that gives you 7% of your companion stats, but.. its kinda just weak. There are better choices.
    timeraiderlogo2smaller.gif

Elf Control Wizard - Dragon
  • Options
    nibenay78nibenay78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So basically one is better off with a companion that attacks then. Are these good enough to warrant upgrades and eventual boosting your charisma to improve the companion? (in case of a TR for example?)
  • Options
    nulaftwnulaftw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ganiries wrote: »
    man-at-arms.jpg

My Man-at-Arms! Rushed trained during the last two weekends to get him to 30. Cost a ton of astral diamonds at higher levels. He was pretty fun, holding aggro wonderfully versus single targets playing in easier-medium difficulty zones. It still fairly squishy versus bosses and in group dungeons/skirmishes, where I usually dismissed him anyway.

The smaller image on the right is the level 30 skin, called Champion Cavalier. Wanted to take better screenshots before server came down at midnight, but I crashed and couldn't log back in. The skin on the left was the second to last unlock.

Didn't notice any new abilities. I also meant to take screenshots of all his stats (and my stats as well), but didn't get the chance to. /sadface

Okey, this is probably noobish question, but aren't all companions brought with gold max 15 rank? I noticed there are tomes to increase their quality, but they are not out yet, so how could you get him to 30?

Edit: Okey, I've read rest of topic. I've done all quests in Neverdeath Graveyard (including bag one) up to the point when I was sent back to Sergeant Knox (I assumed that means that I've done all quests in zone), but I dont have any companion - according to wiki (http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/List_of_quests) I've done all quests except "Dirty business" chain, but now I'm overlevel and get it (can't even see Cloaked Man, only when Im in party with someone under level 30, but still can't take quest anyway) - so, is there some way to obtain this companion? And can someone tell me name of that quests (I couldnt find it)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    players do normally not get a bonus when using a companion.

There are only 3 companions that give you passively more stats (those companions do not attack, do not die, but just give stats) .. which are ioun stones (there are 2 kinds) and cat.
    There isnt really a stronger one of those. The stats gained depends on wether you are using a ioun stone or a cat, one gives recovery and crit.. the other uhmm.. regeneration and power or something? no clue.

Like i said, you normally dont get any stats when you use a normal companion that attacks and can die (only the passive, noncombat companions). There is a runestone that gives you 7% of your companion stats, but.. its kinda just weak. There are better choices.

Just wanted to add Alcolyte of Kelemvor also buffs you... Lifesteal by a rather huge amount... And 10% damage reduction...
  • Options
    yeoldadventureryeoldadventurer Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My wife and I started playing this morning. We THINK we both logged in to the Dragon Shard, but we cannot find each other.... help?
  • Options
    nulaftwnulaftw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My wife and I started playing this morning. We THINK we both logged in to the Dragon Shard, but we cannot find each other.... help?
    That's OT, but you can add her to your frind list (press O), also if both of you are on Dragon and in same zone, there is possibility that you are just in different instances so you'll have to come to her (you can change instance by clicking ikon next to minimap or press M and button "change instance" or simpliest way would be inviting her to group with command /invite her_nick@acc or through right-clicking her in your friend list, then right click her portrait in left upper corner and "go to party instance" or something like that, first choice)
  • Options
    wartimeraiderwartimeraider Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    nulaftw wrote: »
    Okey, this is probably noobish question, but aren't all companions brought with gold max 15 rank? I noticed there are tomes to increase their quality, but they are not out yet, so how could you get him to 30?

Edit: Okey, I've read rest of topic. I've done all quests in Neverdeath Graveyard (including bag one) up to the point when I was sent back to Sergeant Knox (I assumed that means that I've done all quests in zone), but I dont have any companion - according to wiki (http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/List_of_quests) I've done all quests except "Dirty business" chain, but now I'm overlevel and get it (can't even see Cloaked Man, only when Im in party with someone under level 30, but still can't take quest anyway) - so, is there some way to obtain this companion? And can someone tell me name of that quests (I couldnt find it)

"during the last two weekends" meaning.. it was different back then.

Surely you have done the quest.. else maybe press U and see if the quest is there. Else sergeant knox might still have it or you abandonned it at one of the NPC's at the emporium in the enclave.

The quest is not related to any map or anything.. you just simply get it when your lvl 16
    timeraiderlogo2smaller.gif

Elf Control Wizard - Dragon
  • Options
    cococyacococya Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "during the last two weekends" meaning.. it was different back then.

Surely you have done the quest.. else maybe press U and see if the quest is there. Else sergeant knox might still have it or you abandonned it at one of the NPC's at the emporium in the enclave.

The quest is not related to any map or anything.. you just simply get it when your lvl 16

No,no, you are wrong. In the closed beta you would get a 2nd pet choice of green grade that was better than the ones from lvl 16 and could level up more. That quests no longer exists, sadly.
  • Options
    monkeyrx123monkeyrx123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Devs please fix UnBind or stop selling them. I have never seen so much greed in a game before. Cost to buy, cost to unbind (doesn't work) Even though the in game text says it does.
  • Options
    foolsyoufoolsyou Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Please price the companion training books to a price non 60s can afford to pay I dont have 100,000 ad by lvl 50 let alone the 700K+ for the lvl 2 mount training cost if it will be a comparable price range. A gold sink would be nice I have like 35gold doing nothing in my bags.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nibenay78 wrote: »
    So basically one is better off with a companion that attacks then.
    Not necessarily. That's only true up until the boss fights where your companions will mostly spend their time dead. In which case it's better to have a stat boosting companion.

Of course, if you're solo'ing quests then you'll want another body there anyway.
  • Options
    wtiowhoihtea895ywtiowhoihtea895y Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Since I can't make a new thread and don't see any other threads remotely appropriate for this question I figured I'd ask it here: Is there any way to block without having to first target an enemy?

I often want to back away from an enemy but also look where I am moving to and I want to do it quickly, however I have to pause and spend time focusing my view on the enemy (To initiate blocking) in order to accomplish it. With the ability to block whenever I please I'd be able to block (And lock the direction I'm facing) and move away from enemies much more easily without fidgeting about.

Obviously I'm new to the game so please excuse me if there is some perfectly valid reason behind needing to target an enemy in order to block its attacks.

Edit: Woah, what's with my forum user name (wtiowhoihtea895y)?
  • Options
    ctowersctowers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 73
    edited May 2013
    Great Guide and Info. TY
  • Options
    eibonhyperboreaeibonhyperborea Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Great thanks this answers a lot of questions I had.
  • Options
    southpawdnbsouthpawdnb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My companion has disappeared and is at max level so not off training. It is my only companion so it's not idle. I don't know what's going on. Anyone had this issue? Know how to fix?
  • Options
    dawnpromisedawnpromise Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you buy a second 'active slot' does that mean you get 2 NPCs to help you fight?

Great guide, very informative :)
    Stellarum, mea sunt
    The Stars are Mine.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    My companion has disappeared and is at max level so not off training. It is my only companion so it's not idle. I don't know what's going on. Anyone had this issue? Know how to fix?

Press C go to your companion window and click summon...
    If you buy a second 'active slot' does that mean you get 2 NPCs to help you fight?

No...
  • Options
    olvanatorolvanator Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It looks like they added the Tomb Spider back in with last nights patch.
  • Options
    rjax097rjax097 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    olvanator wrote: »
    It looks like they added the Tomb Spider back in with last nights patch.

Yes it is. Still listed as a "controller" and has no controlling abilities. Just a poison bite and a raking claw attack. I am going to suggest that they make it a striker and up its dps a bit, but I really need to get it to the same lvl as my badger and dire wolf to compare damage. It is a blue companion and the last skin it should have is brownish with some white highlights according to the picture shown in its announcement. Hoping with the addition of the leveling tome (when they are activated) it will get the original white body with brownish highlights.